Community Member

Default When ANYONE joins a BYOH group...

First of all, i dont post BYOH groups, I post "Soloing In progress anyone welcome" groups, however, im a fan of logic, especially when its as obvious as the logic you would apply in this scenario.

BYOH stands for "bring your own heals", if that really needs further elaborated on it means everyone is responsible for keeping themselves alive and being self sufficient overall.

Clerics are not required to heal anyone but themselves(see byoh...) EVEN THO they are the classic "healer type characters" in games like wow.

Fighters arent required to equip a tower shield and intimidate EVEN THO they are the only class that is automatically proficient with tower shield and happen to also have intim as a class skill.

Rangers are not expected to attack only with ranged weapons EVEN THO they are called rangers and get a lot of free ranged feats.

Artificers are not expected to scroll heal the group EVEN THO they can scroll heal better than any other class, artificers should also not be expected to only use repeaters or 1h weaps despite having a rune arm.

I could go on forever.

To finish the title, When anyone joins a byoh group they expect those in the group to heal themselves because its a byoh group... Its not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post

Artificers are not expected to scroll heal the group EVEN THO they can scroll heal better than any other class, artificers should also not be expected to only use repeaters or 1h weaps despite having a rune arm.
    Is this correct? I'm genuinely curious...I'm not asking to be snarky.

I thought either bards or rogues ended up with the best scroll healing via enhancements?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post

I thought either bards or rogues ended up with the best scroll healing via enhancements?
    I am not an expert, but Artificers have the inherent feat: http://ddowiki.com/page/Artificer_Knowledge which at level 13 gives them a total of +5 on the caster level of all scrolls (assuming their Int is high enough). In addition to that they get the usual Wand and Scroll Mastery Enhancements.

As for the OP, I completely agree.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default Scrolls

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post

As an arty I use lots of scrolls and wands. The best scrolls in my bag are:

• Heal
    • Resurrection
    • Greater Restoration
    • Raise Dead
    • Greater Heroism
    • Blur
    • Displacement
    • Remove Curse
    • Remove Disease

Although its rare that arties are recognized for it, sometimes that heal or resurrection that hit you in CitW or FoT was from me

I do my best to help keep the group alive when I can and take some pressure of the healer(s). Sometimes I'm unable to do this when I get hit with phantom aggro (Truthful One heads straight for me when he rears his ugly head : )

Folks may or may not have noticed that when there are deaths in the party I will sometimes have to clear the baddies and keep myself alive so I can res you. I'm not ignoring you, I'm just under heavy attack and need to keep myself alive. When the dust settles from one of these rough encounters I will usually res any healers 1st, then healer hires, or based on current priorities it could be the barb. or wiz. Sometimes the healers forget their red bar, because they are so focused on keeping others alive I will hit them with heal scrolls and it makes me feel good when I see their health go up. My ability to pop and use Heal and Resurrection scrolls has saved many raids and quests when the healers and hires went down.

Heal and Resurrection are my most heavily used scrolls.

yes. BYOH does imply to be self sufficient and not worry about anyone else, but ask 100 different people and I bet you will get some different answers. some BYOH groups are not just about "I worry about me and not you". some actually do help each other out as needed, but the BYOH lfms never state one way or the other which can be confusing to players when they do join someones BYOH group. clarification in an lfm and by party leader when people join makes a world of difference. cant fault others if you wont take the 10 seconds to explain what kind of BYOH it is.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    yes. BYOH does imply to be self sufficient and not worry about anyone else, but ask 100 different people and I bet you will get some different answers. some BYOH groups are not just about "I worry about me and not you". some actually do help each other out as needed, but the BYOH lfms never state one way or the other which can be confusing to players when they do join someones BYOH group. clarification in an lfm and by party leader when people join makes a world of difference. cant fault others if you wont take the 10 seconds to explain what kind of BYOH it is.
    I think if the sign says "BYOH", you should expect to take care of yourself unless someone else decides to do something for you. And even if one party member decides to help someone else, that doesn't mean they'll help you or that "BYOH" is suddenly thrown out the window. I would personally think that I needed to take care of myself no matter what and anything else is gravy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post
    Rangers are not expected to attack only with ranged weapons EVEN THO they are called rangers and get a lot of free ranged feats.
    <Morbo>"Ranger" does not mean that!</Morbo>

Community Member

Default of course not

Quote Originally Posted by Frotz View Post
    <Morbo>"Ranger" does not mean that!</Morbo>
    I wasnt trying to imply ranger means ranged character, i was expressing how silly it is to think someone should have to use a certain playstyle just because they could if they wanted to because of a few of the feats or spells granted by their class.

How someone should play a character is solely dependant on how they choose to and what they enjoy, a cleric getting healing spells in their list makes them a healer exactly as much as a ranger getting ranged feats automatically makes them a ranged build.

Any class or mix of classes can be played effectively with multiple playstyles by any decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    As an arty I use lots of scrolls and wands. The best scrolls in my bag are:

• Heal
    • Resurrection
    • Greater Restoration
    • Raise Dead
    • Greater Heroism
    • Blur
    • Displacement
    • Remove Curse
    • Remove Disease

Although its rare that arties are recognized for it, sometimes that heal or resurrection that hit you in CitW or FoT was from me

Heal and Resurrection are my most heavily used scrolls.
    It's fantastic that anyone whose not a divine is willing to help out (or in some cases be primaries) healing raids.

Yes, playing a cleric, I do sometimes forget to check my own health bar. Mostly when doing tank heals, because my attention is entirely focused on one health bar.

Thank you to you, and all your brothers and sisters who look after the devoted (but sometimes absent-minded) divines. We appreciate it, even if we don't take the time to say it.