Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Default Elemental Cloaks

There may be one bright spot in the otherwise poor new named loot.

I just read through the descriptions of all five cloaks. You'll see they talk about fusing the pieces back together.

My guess is that the Wheloon traders (or somewhere else) will have an option to fuse all five pieces together into some sort of super elemental cloak, which would be kind of a cool item (and explains why they drop in all quests).

Now, give us improved versions of all the current Eveningstar sets (PDK, Villager, etc) and it might make up for the otherwise lack of new decent named loot.

I tend to think that loot rage threads are a bore - people are never happy with anything, and far undervalue the potential utility of many items. I felt that way when people raged about the loot in Lord of Blades, in MOTU, and in every one of the following expansions.

I still vividly remember the endless posts about how NONE of the Caught in the Web loot was worth a damn, yet here we are a year later with people still running that raid for the 50th or 60th time hoping for a Celestia or Sireth.

Gamers are haters, so it's easy to dismiss loot doom as being as predictable as the sunrise.

That being said...

I'm completely taken aback by this loot. Floored. Stunned. And yeah... insulted. The named weapons are two of the weakest weapon types in the game (longsword and mace), bizarre examples of flavor overruling any utility (+1 enhancement bonus on a level 28 weapon??), utility items with mostly situational effects (energy absorption being the big theme), random effects on everything when players have clearly stated for the last year that most of us hate that, etc.

Even worse, it's just... dull. Very basic and uninspired. This stuff feels like Harbor quest loot with bigger numbers.

Mind you, we haven't seen this stuff in actual play yet, so it's possible that we're not seeing some important upgrade mechanic (like the cloak fusion thing that seems to be alluded to). But if that's the case, it's going to need to be something spectacular. And you should probably give us some clue about it ASAP.

I'd like to ask an absolutely sincere question of the loot designer: what is the general loot philosophy that this is supposed to represent? Given the lack of power in these named items combined with a pretty hefty boost to random loot (a trend that's been going on for the past year), is it safe to say that you're aiming for random items becoming the new end-game gear, with named items serving as occasional flavor pulls?

Please come talk to us about this. Yeah, it's going to be a viper's den, but we need feedback badly. Please.
    Last edited by dejafu; 07-22-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

I want level 28 boots for 6 people. That might keep me busy for a while.

Gloves for 1.

That's really all this stuff is good for.

The rest of the loot is garbage.

I get the flavor on the rapier/longsword. However the +1 is still a penalty on a weapon such as this and there should be a buff built into a weapon that has a penalty. I don't see the buff anywhere unless the extra parrying is valued much higher by devs than by players.

Here's how I would have done it (flavor intact)

Longsword (lv 28 version)
    2[1d8] 19-20 x2
    +1
    Parrying (+6AC, +6saves)
    Shield AC +8
    Dodge 10%
    Displacement (perma effect)
    random effect
    Blue Slot (to keep with the defensive theme)
    Green Slot (to keep with the defensive theme)

It's still a defensive weapon with little to no offensive benefit, but the defensive bonuses are "worth it" in many cases. I would find situations where putting this in the offhand could be beneficial even if it's not part of my max dps set.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I am ok with the loot makes it easer to keep my current gear setup. changing one item often ruins my entire gear set up.

SO how about rare augments?

get to keep the loots from lower quest and upgrade them with the new augment stuff? (let imagination run wild on great augment u can slot in your current gear)
    I am a big fan of gear slot increase. for example PDK gloves have strength and heal amp..life is easier if new item for glove slot has ...strength in it.

Anyhow this is my 2 cents, (plz make Jewelers kits affordable, was shocked how expensive they are. have to be super careful what i slot. they are bound to account -really though they would be 50tp max or 10 for 400.)
    U don't have to run faster then the mobs just faster then your friends

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DogMania View Post
    Maybe try running it for the fun instead might make you enjoy the game instead of grinding
    Gee, maybe part of the fun is running a fun quest and then scoring fun or interesting loot at the end! I know, crazy, wacky concept that different people might have different ideas of what is fun in the hobby they pay for.

So this expansion not just got the lamest quantity of new quests for an expansion, and an extremely lackluster 3 new levels with no new destiny levels, but the loot sucks.

I really wish I hadn't pre-purchased the expansion now.

Community Member

I'm so happy with random loot. I hope to god they keep it in. No longer will someone be able to tote around their "perfect" named item. I'm being serious here. Random loot keeps things interesting, and there's a reason to keep running as you want to get the right stats. As it is now, the game is simply a grind for x item then you're done.

eSoS anyone? What is more boring than that hunk of...suffice to say I hate the weapon. It is the epitome of DDO's lackluster loot system. A weapon should be interesting. Your armor should suit you. You should not be the same as everyone else on the server. This is DnD. You customize, you differ, you grow. Currently we have stagnation, and boredom. Bah! This community.

V

what IMO is sad, is when random loot by far and wide surpasses named loot (especially the named loot of this socalled expansion) ... I mean on lamma I got a deadly XI necklace of natural armor bonus +10 ... THAT is an awesome item ... those cloaks and rapier otoh ...lol ...
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Urjak View Post
    what IMO is sad, is when random loot by far and wide surpasses named loot (especially the named loot of this socalled expansion) ... I mean on lamma I got a deadly XI necklace of natural armor bonus +10 ... THAT is an awesome item ... those cloaks and rapier otoh ...lol ...
    Is it better to be efficiently bland, have the same items as everyone else which are the best items, or to have your own character who is judged for his performance instead of his named gear list? That's what people should think about. I, obviously, prefer to be different and better for it.

V

Random sucks.

Slots goods.

I am teh_troll and I approve this message.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Random adds chaos to a game that is stifled and mostly unsuccessful because of the meta gaming, the sameness, the repetition over and over of the same unchanging quests for the same unchanging loot in them.

Just one example of how randomness on these is cool:

My FvS loves that Morning Shield... I'll want an EE version with Parrying (for AC mode) and a EE version with Sheltering (when in "guards mode") oh and then there's Doublestrike which is a possible shield affix...

So no make that EE versions with all three... and oh, I'll still be looking out for (and running the quest regularly) for a version where the random affix rolls a red slot, that's a Purple slot and a red slot. That is the ultimate version of that shield for me.... So 4 versions of that shield I will want... um... and maybe some others. Granted not too many people are running a guards based Shield of Condemnation melee FvS build, but this is an example after all... There are plenty of examples of loot that's in the game already that would be extremely interesting if they had one random affix on them.

And there's even some examples where it already exists in a limited way... a LOT of people can use dragon helms because they don't all only have one static ability bonus. Planer conflux's are the same way, if they had static bonuses on them they would be MUCH less useful, except to cookie cutter builds... This mechanic will be well liked in time, because of the possibility to get the "just right" version of a piece of gear. This is just a case of some player's being resistant to change, and not really knowing whats good for them.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 08-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masadique View Post
    Is it better to be efficiently bland, have the same items as everyone else which are the best items, or to have your own character who is judged for his performance instead of his named gear list? That's what people should think about. I, obviously, prefer to be different and better for it.

V
    well the train for that one has long long ago left ... what will change is just that there are a few random loot gen items people will be after because those are the best and in the end everyone will end up with more or less the same gear list again ... a dodge XI and deadly XI item ... maybe a speed and doublestrike item ... thats it ... on my lamma build i exchanged only two slots (necklace and belt) ... and nothing of U19 would want to make me change more than that ... simple too few different stats per item ... better to have lots of goodies (like blindness immunity, fear immunity, good luck, ...) than one or two top capped out enchantments (that changes of course when it comes to casters^^)
    Argonessen (mains):
    Myriellah (Stargazer II), Xryn (Pale Master), Ryaleen (Air Savant), Mayeena (Assassin)
    Leader and founder of the ShadowThieves guild

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12