Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Founder

Lightbulb LFM Tool Suggestions

NOTE that this post has grown from just LFM Tool suggestions to Social Tools suggestions.

I did a couple of searches and did not find a "Looking For More Tool" suggestions thread after 2010. If there has been one like this recently please point me in that direction.

I had a few ideas that I thought would be good to add to the current LFM tool to both help players specify what kind of group they want to form and to help players that are new or new to the LFM tool to understand the groups that they find there.

Currently it is up to the person who creates the LFM to type most of their requirements in the Comments. This leads to the use of abbreviations and acronyms that some players might not understand. My idea is to add common abbreviations and acronyms to the LFM panel as selectable criteria for the group similar to selecting classes now. Then those abbreviations and acronyms could be given tooltips that explain what they mean. We would keep the current Comment field for more custom comments.

In addition I would like to see a "rating" added to the tool so that players could indicate the level of play they expect for their group.

I am not putting forth my ideas as some kind of expert. However I have seen a lot of issues with players joining groups that they should not be in. Of course players will still join groups that they should not be in, but hopefully something like this will help.

Since I am not an expert, I am actively looking for any corrections or additions to my ideas as long as they are constructive. If you don't feel that these suggestions would be a positive addition to the game, feel free to say so but please keep it civil.

SECTION 1- common abbreviations / acronyms with checkboxes, or as selectable icons, above the Comment field. Those that come immediately to mind are:

BYOH: (Bring Your Own Healing) Be self-suffient. If there are characters in the party that can buff or heal they may decide not to do so.
    IP: In Progress. Be able to make your way to the quest and inside the quest. The group is not waiting.
    Taking Time (instead of Flower Sniffing-Suggested by Ralmeth): this group is taking its time, doing all the optionals, breaking all the boxes.
    No Hires (the word Hire with a red slash symbol?): Hirelings are not allowed in this group.
    Zerg: this group will not be stopping to fight mobs - fight on the run if at all. Expect high Dungeon Alert and be able to keep up.
    BB: this group is running a Bravery Bonus streak and will stay with the selected Quest Difficulty. Additions to this flag (suggested by EllisDee37):
    *Defaults the quest difficulty to elite. (Manually changeable to hard.)
    *Filters the quest list from 2 levels below my level to my level.
    *Defaults the LFM level range to 2 levels below my level to my level.
    *Updates the LFM level range to quest level to quest level+2 after choosing/changing quest.
    Have Ears (ear symbol?): The leader will be speaking to the party over Voice Chat; party members must be able to hear Voice Chat (Suggested by FranOhmsford)

SECTION 2- add a rating system for the level of play this group will be doing. My initial ideas are:

1 - No particular requirements - all players welcome
    2 - Teaching Run: this group is being formed to teach someone. Expect pauses and do not advance the quest ahead of the group.
    3 - Experienced Party: this group is for those who already know the quest and know how to play. They will not be teaching the quest or holding hands.
    4 - TR XP/min: this group is for those who have True Resurrected trying to get the most Experience per Minute. A high level of quest knowledge and play is required.

SECTION 3- Additional Suggestions for LFM creation:

-Next to the level range, add a checkbox to only show quests appropriate for that level range.
    -Add a Search field to the quest list.
    -Add toggle for single quest vs. quest chain. State of toggle changes choice list from single quests to names of quest chains, including "open" chains like Shroud flagging. LFM shows which quest in the chain the party is currently on (choosable if chain is not linear). (suggested by EllisDee37)
    -Add checkbox next to Level Range: "Auto-deny if not in Range". (Suggested by FranOhmsford)
    -Add an "Optionals" control to toggle between No Optionals / Some Optionals /Chest Optionals / All Optionals (Suggested by Ralmeth)
    -Create an "Advanced LFM" button, similar to Advanced Search in the Forums, so people can choose between a more basic LFM creation as there is now and using all of these more advanced options.

SECTION 4- Suggestions for the list of LFMs:
    -In the list of LFMs, have the Difficulty (N/H/E) show in the space with the quest name with a tooltip on the Difficulty to explain that term.
    -For those searching for a LFM, add the abbreviations / acronyms and ratings so they can search for a LFM with those properties.
    -Add checkbox to the LFM Search to highlight or sort LFMs if they have a person on your Friends List. (Suggested by ForumAccess)
    -Add a checkbox to the LFM Search to highlight or sort LFMs if they have a Guildie.
    -Add a symbol with tooltip next to the Quest Name that indicates: flagged and have quest; flagged and do no have quest; not flagged (Suggested by Zzevel)

SECTION 5- LFG Tool Suggestions:
    -Add the abbreviations / acronyms and ratings to the LFG part of the tool. (Suggested by Tscheuss)
    -Add a checkbox: "Send me a Tell when a LFM is in my level range and meets my criteria". (Suggested by Wanesa)

SECTION 6- Other Grouping Suggestions:
    -Add to Leader abilities: control of Hirelings. (Suggested by Wanesa)
    Within this new control, choose between 1. Allow Hirelings (no limitations); 2. Deny Hirelings (no one, including Leader, can summon a Hireling); 3. Approve Hirelings (upon start of Hireling summon, Leader gets a message to approve or deny)
    -Add to Leader abilities: toggle that restricts any party member who is not the leader from opening the quest. Leader will receive a warning if a player who is already in the quest tries to join the LFM / if the leader sends a party invitation to a player who is currently inside a quest. (Suggested by FranOhmsford)

SECTION 7- Social Profile (Suggested by FranOhmsford):
    -Each Character has a Social Biography that is viewable when the character requests to join a Party and once the character is in a Party. Bio Options with checkboxes to include:
    *Classes / Levels
    *Current ED / Level
    *TR / #
    *DDO Experience: New Player, Experienced Player, Veteran Player
    *Explorer
    *People Person
    *Elite Opener
    -Voice Active / Not
    -Each Character has a LFM Preferences file that will auto-fill a LFM created by that character. Includes all options from LFM creation.

SECTION 8- Squelch / Ignore Suggestions (Suggested by FranOhmsford):
    -On a player's Ignore list, selectable options to either be unable to join a LFM where the leader is on the list (receive a warning) or receive a notice that the leader is on your list and option to "unsquelch" the leader.
    -Make the Squelch list orderable by: alphabetical (character name); date squelched; etc.
    -Add a reason for the Squelch (comment box)
    -Give the choice to Squelch or not when reporting someone
    -Add Report Option (when right clicking a name in chat) to open the In-Game Reporting Tool.
    -Ability to add someone to the list without Squelching (so you can have a note about them)(Suggested by HAL)
    -Ability to assign a special chat color to those on your list that aren't Squelched.(Suggested by HAL)

PLEASE - I don't want this thread to turn into an argument regarding Zerging, BYOH, etc. This is not the place for those arguments and I will ask the Moderators to delete those replies. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by HAL; 07-26-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Trying to find a color that works on grey AND white :(

/not signed. Description is enough. I only suggest to give leader ability to control hireling usage. No hires, one hire, hire allowed and this should be also written in description.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

The rating system wouldn't work. There would be everyone thinks they're a 4 or whatever the top rating would be regardless of actual knowledge and ability.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The rating system wouldn't work. There would be everyone thinks they're a 4 or whatever the top rating would be regardless of actual knowledge and ability.
    I already see groups that say all welcome so I don't think this would be the case.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    LFM Tool Suggestions

I did a couple of searches and did not find a "Looking For More Tool" suggestions thread after 2010. If there has been one like this recently please point me in that direction.

I had a few ideas that I thought would be good to add to the current LFM tool to both help players specify what kind of group they want to form and to help players that are new or new to the LFM tool to understand the groups that they find there.

Currently it is up to the person who creates the LFM to type most of their requirements in the Comments. This leads to the use of abbreviations and acronyms that some players might not understand. My idea is to add common abbreviations and acronyms to the LFM panel as selectable criteria for the group similar to selecting classes now. Then those abbreviations and acronyms could be given tooltips that explain what they mean. We would keep the current Comment field for more custom comments.

In addition I would like to see a "rating" added to the tool so that players could indicate the level of play they expect for their group.

I am not putting forth my ideas as some kind of expert. However I have seen a lot of issues with players joining groups that they should not be in. Of course players will still join groups that they should not be in, but hopefully something like this will help.

Since I am not an expert, I am actively looking for any corrections or additions to my ideas as long as they are constructive. If you don't feel that these suggestions would be a positive addition to the game, feel free to say so but please keep it civil.

My first suggestion is to add some of the more common abbreviations / acronyms with checkboxes, or as selectable icons, above the Comment field. Those that come immediately to mind are:

BB: this group is running a Bravery Bonus streak and will stay with the selected Quest Difficulty.
    BYOH: (Bring Your Own Healing) Be self-suffient. If there are characters in the party that can buff or heal they may decide not to do so.
    IP: In Progress. Be able to make your way to the quest and inside the quest. The group is not waiting.
    Flower-sniffing (flower symbol?): this group is taking its time, doing all the optionals, breaking all the boxes.
    No Hires (the word Hire with a red slash symbol?): Hirelings are not allowed in this group.
    Zerg: this group will not be stopping to fight mobs - fight on the run if at all. Expect high Dungeon Alert and be able to keep up.

My second suggestion is to add a rating system for the level of play this group will be doing. My initial ideas are:

1 - No particular requirements - all players welcome
    2 - Teaching Run: this group is being formed to teach someone. Expect pauses and do not advance the quest ahead of the group.
    3 - Experienced Party: this group is for those who already know the quest and know how to play. They will not be teaching the quest or holding hands.
    4 - TR XP/min: this group is for those who have True Resurrected trying to get the most Experience per Minute. A high level of quest knowledge and play is required.

Additional Suggestions not related to the above:

-Next to the level range, add a checkbox to only show quests appropriate for that level range.
    -Add a Search field to the quest list.
    -In the list of LFMs, have the Difficulty (N/H/E) show in the space with the quest name with a tooltip on the Difficulty to explain that term.

PLEASE - I don't want this thread to turn into an argument regarding Zerging, BYOH, etc. This is not the place for those arguments and I will ask the Moderators to delete those replies. Thank you in advance!
    Awesome Ideas. I particularly like the ideas about flagging the LFM as a BYOH.

Also your rating system idea could be alleviate a lot of frustration for both zergers and flower-sniffers alike.

+1!
    Orien Characters
    Kierkan - Bladeforged 12/6/2 Shiradi Favored Soul/Wizard/Monk| Dragonnbaito - Half-Elf Legendary Dreadnought 12 Monk/6 Paladin/2 Fighter

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    /not signed. Description is enough. I only suggest to give leader ability to control hireling usage. No hires, one hire, hire allowed and this should be also written in description.
    Actual control of groups would be part of a "group leader abilities" thread. This is only addressing the LFM tool. But thanks for the response.

Inflation would definitely take hold, and then you would get worries about "will anyone join my group if I put 3 instead of 4" when they're probably only qualified to put 2.

Though I still love the idea of the rating system, but sadly I agree with this.
    Orien Characters
    Kierkan - Bladeforged 12/6/2 Shiradi Favored Soul/Wizard/Monk| Dragonnbaito - Half-Elf Legendary Dreadnought 12 Monk/6 Paladin/2 Fighter

Community Member

Like i've told you earlier, I think it's a great idea to teach some players the terms. After a second thought, I also think that it kinds of give you a real reason to kick someone out if he doesn't respect those restrictions because it was well laid out and explained.

But it leaves the same problem which is people aren't controlled into respecting those restrictions. But since it doesn't restrain anyone but only add more info, it's a good idea overall.

With no way to filter people, there will always be a problem.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

Not really, I think it would most likely be exactly as it is right now, but with more info. Though what you say might be true, we'd have to see... Nothing would keep me from leaving if I see that the leader was lying with his description.

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    Like i've told you earlier, I think it's a great idea to teach some players the terms. After a second thought, I also think that it kinds of give you a real reason to kick someone out if he doesn't respect those restrictions because it was well laid out and explained.

But it leaves the same problem which is people aren't controlled into respecting those restrictions. But since it doesn't restrain anyone but only add more info, it's a good idea overall.

With no way to filter people, there will always be a problem.
    I'm going to take your words out of context.

Filter people? Let's add a filter so that anyone below a specified hp threshold (specified by the LFM poster) cannot physically apply.

(not srs)
    Orien Characters

Community Member

Could you even match it with a similar set of flags in a player's LFG? Then a player could set flags for how they feel like playing, and LFM's with greatest match would show first. Further, someone looking to build a group could sort the who based on flags, and she could then send tells to people who are a good match.
    Last edited by Tscheuss; 07-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Could you even match it with a similar set of flags in a player's LFG? Then a player could set flags for how they feel like playing, and LFM's with greatest match would show first. Further, someone looking to build a group could sort the who based on flags, and she could then send tells to people who are a good match.
    Does LFG even get used? I check the LFG occasionally and I think I've seen maybe three or four people post LFG on their who ever since I've been playing (about 4 years now).
    Orien Characters

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Sure, great idea. I'll add it to the OP.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by eden2760 View Post
    I'm going to take your words out of context.

Filter people? Let's add a filter so that anyone below a specified hp threshold (specified by the LFM poster) cannot physically apply.

(not srs)
    Call it limited usage of english language... I could definatly use a bigger database of words, no doubt. I'd have to edit my posts 50 times to make them as clear as i'd like them to be. But I prefer to hope people try to understand the whole meaning, just like I need to do when I read them.

I meant people would be chosing accordingly to their own skills level and experience without lying to themselves or trying to leech/exploit others.

Edit: I don't wanna spam the thread with no good information... I know you were joking . Just wasn't sure if you understood what I meant though. Hence the precision.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 07-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    Call it limited usage of english language... I could definatly use a bigger database of words, no doubt. I'd have to edit my posts 50 times to make them as clear as i'd like them to be. But I prefer to hope people try to understand the whole meaning, just like I need to do when I read them.

I meant people would be chosing accordingly to their own skills level and experience without lying to themselves or trying to leech/exploit others.
    Eh, my last post was kind of a joke. I was only joking. I didn't really mean to imply that there should be such a cap. I think that would be taking it too far, as I've seen low-hp toons outperform higher-hp toons in many cases.

I do like the general ideas being presented here though, if only as a way to speed things up when filling an lfm:

1 - Like minded people (ideally) wouldn't have to wonder about what they're going to get in the LFM. Ambiguity would be much less with such an LFM system, if used realistically.
    2 - LFM posters would (again, ideally) be able to screen out those who have a different skill level or play philosophy (read: flowersniffers and zergers not mixing it up).
    Orien Characters

Community Member

The change that might get me to use the LFM tool again would be a checkbox to visually flag "Is someone on my friend's list in this party." I am not against the idea of PUGing. But in practice it has become fairly awful for top end (EE GH currently) runs. If I know that there is at least one or two others in the group who are competent then it should be reasonably successful, if perhaps slower, no matter who the rest of the spots are filled with.

I guess that this would also have a secondary use, for people who like to make 'Special Friends Lists'. Mark someone as the type of person that you do not want to play with, and you would be visually notified that they are in any group that you might be considering joining.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    The change that might get me to use the LFM tool again would be a checkbox to visually flag "Is someone on my friend's list in this party." I am not against the idea of PUGing. But in practice it has become fairly awful for top end (EE GH currently) runs. If I know that there is at least one or two others in the group who are competent then it should be reasonably successful, if perhaps slower, no matter who the rest of the spots are filled with.

I guess that this would also have a secondary use, for people who like to make 'Special Friends Lists'. Mark someone as the type of person that you do not want to play with, and you would be visually notified that they are in any group that you might be considering joining.
    Hehehe.... that's what I do. /friend add <person> <disparaging quality that I will see when screening LFM applicants>

If it were automatic like you said, that'd be cool too!
    Orien Characters

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by eden2760 View Post
    Eh, my last post was kind of a joke.
    Joke or no, this is what most modern MMOs are doing. Giving characters 'scores' based on build and gear, and then gating content based on what they have managed to get their score up to. This does not really translate into DDO, though, since builds are somewhat subjective, and gear is based largely on what your build is attempting to accomplish rather than a pure "this makes my numbers higher than that does".

Community Member

Default Eh, people read LFMs?

I will back this proposition if my demand is also met.

Need optional Elf Silhouette with an exclamation point next to it. This is to signify that only the best race in the game, elves, can join the party.

Any other race that attempts to join gets a pre-recorded 5 minute lecture on why they should have rolled elf, and is then booted back to the log in page. Game will load character generation screen with elf pre-builts if the account has an open character slot.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post

Good idea - added!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast