Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

Default The Official Breaking the Ranks (Storm Horns) Loot Thread!

Use this thread to discuss items found in the Storm Horns Quest: Breaking the Ranks (Previously known as "Waking the Beast").

End and Optional Chests' Named Items:

Shield of Morning (Large Shield)
    Heroic Normal
    • +3 Enhancement Bonus
    • Solar Guard III
    • Random Effect
    • Empty Blue Augment Slot

Heroic Hard
    • +4 Enhancement Bonus
    • Solar Guard III
    • Random Effect

Heroic Elite
    • +4 Enhancement Bonus
    • Solar Guard IV
    • Random Effect

Epic Normal
    • +6 Enhancement Bonus
    • Solar Guard VI
    • Random Effect

Epic Hard
    • +7 Enhancement Bonus
    • Solar Guard VI
    • Random Effect

Epic Elite
    • +7 Enhancement Bonus
    • Solar Guard VII
    • Random Effect
    • Empty Purple Augment Slot

Prismatic Cloak (Cloak)
    Heroic Normal
    • Elemental Absorption – 16% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
    • Random Effect
    • Empty Green Augment Slot

Heroic Hard
    • Elemental Absorption – 18% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
    • Random Effect

Heroic Elite
    • Elemental Absorption – 20% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
    • Random Effect

Epic Normal
    • Elemental Absorption – 26% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
    • Random Effect

Epic Hard
    • Elemental Absorption – 28% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
    • Random Effect

Epic Elite
    • Elemental Absorption – 30% (Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, Sonic Absorption)
    • Random Effect
    Last edited by SqueakofDoom; 08-05-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Quest Name Change
    Surveys are AWESOME!
    Bug Things! We like bugs! ... well not really, bugs are bad, but we like to know about them!
    Copy your Character or make a new one using the handy tools available in the Test Dojo.

The epic version of the Shield of Morning uses the base stats for the heroic version instead of being Planeforged (or better).
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Thanks for posting, Squeak

Again thank you Squeak! all the versions of the shield feel underwhelming, as they are supposed to be Morninglord (from the look of it) shields, they should have radiance spell power AND lore appropriate for their level(s). As an example; take the min-level 17 shield, it should have radiance 78-ish and radiance lore III. EE version having radiance 140-ish and radiance lore IX.
    Slow player: puggers beware!

I play a tank. And I can tell you this - if all of this gear was made to provide iconic first timers with stuff they're much better off simply buying or playing GH. This is terrible stuff. I can't imagine anyone wanting to grind out the 'perfect' under performing shield.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Once again, underwhelming and random stuff. The random part just makes it annoying, as well as underwhelming.
    It's definitely an N-word.

I thought we established that no one likes randomized named items back in the dragon touched armor series.

There is nothing worse than getting to the last chest for your last chance before ransack and getting the item of your dreams...then finding out that it has a worthless unrelated enchantment in it's random slot.

I've woken up to a couple disappointing faces after drunken parties..but the loot as I've seen it so far is very sobering.

My suggestion scrap the named loot and do it over again. Or give us a method of collecting two items of the same name and interchanging the enchantments. At lvl 26+ I expect epic items to be...epic and surpassing their lesser epic. I've yet seen a reason to stop using my sun soul + 3 piece abashi set.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Veriden View Post
    I thought we established that no one likes randomized named items back in the dragon touched armor series.
    Two points: Dragontouched is a terrible analogy. And you guys are all acting like you don't wear any loot that has a single non optimal affix. That is preposterous in the extreme.

DT sucked as a system because EVERY ADDABLE AFFIX WAS RANDOM, and they were uber grindy, they were not tradable or sellable. Until they put in the crunch your junk runes to get more rolls of the dice and maybe get the ones you wanted, at about The same time DT became totally obsolete.

Clearly very different mechanics, as these items can be sold, traded auctioned or farmed for. There are lots of potentially useful affixes many with cross utility skill boosts for example, many with slot saving and slot consolidating uses. Get natural armor 6 there and you free up a blue augment, devotion spell power, wizardry 225 -250 sp now if the range of random affixes is limited to weak ones, different story. But I don't see that info anywhere.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Two points: Dragontouched is a terrible analogy. And you guys are all acting like you don't wear any loot that has a single non optimal affix. That is preposterous in the extreme.

DT sucked as a system because EVERY ADDABLE AFFIX WAS RANDOM, and they were uber grindy, they were not tradable or sellable. Until they put in the crunch your junk runes to get more rolls of the dice and maybe get the ones you wanted, at about The same time DT became totally obsolete.

Clearly very different mechanics, as these items can be sold, traded auctioned or farmed for. There are lots of potentially useful affixes many with cross utility skill boosts for example, many with slot saving and slot consolidating uses. Get natural armor 6 there and you free up a blue augment, devotion spell power, wizardry 225 -250 sp now if the range of random affixes is limited to weak ones, different story. But I don't see that info anywhere.
    LMAO

You don't think getting the right one that is still a marginal item will be grindy.

LOL

If the item it's self has more than a 5% drop rate I'll be shocked, combine that with who knows how many combo's lets say 10 for a round number.

That means you will have (.05^10)*100 percent chance to drop which is abysmal.

And you guys are all acting like you don't wear any loot that has a single non optimal affix. That is preposterous in the extreme.
    Yep, I've got more than one character with optimal effects in each slot, in many cases best in slot. Random named loot is great if you have a good DM in PnP who crafts items to be useful for a character in the party -- otherwise it might as well just be random gen loot.

Clearly very different mechanics, as these items can be sold, traded auctioned or farmed for.
    Auctioning, selling, and trading are really all the same thing, and DT can be farmed for as well, so really the only difference is that you can trade what you don't want -- which you can do in chest for DT anyway... so not seeing the vast difference.

Get natural armor 6 there and you free up a blue augment
    Great! Now you can't argue that this random loot isn't going to cause you to build around it (ie, influencing what you slot and which items you wear). Problem with random loot is there is always a chance that you'll get something better/more useful than what you have, which means constant shuffling of gear if you are building (as you suggest) around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    it will go on and on and on to level 999