Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    The preloader needs to be in the same directory as ddo, right next to dndclient.exe, launcher and stuff.
    Thanks!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    'client_gamelogic.dat' must be in the same folder and you have to run it in that folder. You can create shortcut, then open Properties of that shortcut and check whether shortcut's default folder contains path to the location of the client_gamelogic.dat file.

The program simply trying to find that file in the "current directory". You only need to make DDO's folder (which have to contain above file) to be current for the ddopreload

PS: Oh.. i forgot, do not move client_gamelogic.dat. Just only specify right path. Preloading of the copy of that file has no effect. DDOPreloader must preload the file which will be later read by the game.
    Hi and thank you for all your hard work.

I was away for a while and had uninstalled DDO. A few days ago, I downloaded it again from http://www.ddo.com/en/game/download. When I installed it, it only creates a single folder called Dungeons and Dragons, with no subfolders and there is no folder named DDO Unlimited.

Before I read about your preloader, I installed the newly downloaded file, logged into the game, selected a character, waited 5 minutes till the character came up with a yellow network icon which turned red, and after another wait, lost connection with server. I logged in again three more times, with the same result.

Then I found your preloader and downloaded and extracted that, and put it in the same folder with the launcher. Unfortunately the preloader cannot find a file named client_gamelogic.dat, maybe because I have never run the game successfully? There is no such file on my computer anywhere, including in the Turbine file in Program Files (X86) or any subfolders of that. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
    "Clever stratagems are quite beyond my powers; but if it is rank foolishness you require, I have no end of it." (Neal Stephenson, The Confusion)

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bauboDDO View Post
    Hi and thank you for all your hard work.

I was away for a while and had uninstalled DDO. A few days ago, I downloaded it again from http://www.ddo.com/en/game/download. When I installed it, it only creates a single folder called Dungeons and Dragons, with no subfolders and there is no folder named DDO Unlimited.

Before I read about your preloader, I installed the newly downloaded file, logged into the game, selected a character, waited 5 minutes till the character came up with a yellow network icon which turned red, and after another wait, lost connection with server. I logged in again three more times, with the same result.

Then I found your preloader and downloaded and extracted that, and put it in the same folder with the launcher. Unfortunately the preloader cannot find a file named client_gamelogic.dat, maybe because I have never run the game successfully? There is no such file on my computer anywhere, including in the Turbine file in Program Files (X86) or any subfolders of that. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
    Try logging into the game a second time without the preloader. I don't think the gamelogic.dat is created when the game runs. Typically when people have ran the game and got disconnected, the second time they try, they get in. Also technically you did get into the game to where, if the gamelogic.dat was made, would have been made. It would have been needed before the character creation process/selection screen.

Sounds like your game install is incomplete.

Community Member

You must be doing something wrong with the folders.
    I don't know how the most recent download procedure works, but there could be several folders related to it. In the past, you downloaded packed files and then used an installer to unpack them and install the real files in a separate folder. Now I think you download the real files, and not packed ones.

From what you say, you placed the preloader in the same folder as the launcher. Are you sure the "launcher" is the actual TurbineLauncher.exe and not a shortcut or a mere copy?

You said you searched for client_gamelogic.dat in your disk and did not find it. Try searching for TurbineLauncher.exe at the same locations. Chances are that wherever you find TurbineLauncher.exe, you will also find several .dat files.

Those .dat files do not self-generate after running the game. Those ARE the game (and what you've been downloading). Without them nothing can load. One is sound, other is graphics, other is gamelogic, etc.
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faltout View Post
    You must be doing something wrong with the folders.
    I don't know how the most recent download procedure works, but there could be several folders related to it. In the past, you downloaded packed files and then used an installer to unpack them and install the real files in a separate folder. Now I think you download the real files, and not packed ones.

From what you say, you placed the preloader in the same folder as the launcher. Are you sure the "launcher" is the actual TurbineLauncher.exe and not a shortcut or a mere copy?

You said you searched for client_gamelogic.dat in your disk and did not find it. Try searching for TurbineLauncher.exe at the same locations. Chances are that wherever you find TurbineLauncher.exe, you will also find several .dat files.

Those .dat files do not self-generate after running the game. Those ARE the game (and what you've been downloading). Without them nothing can load. One is sound, other is graphics, other is gamelogic, etc.
    Thanks -- in my Turbine folder is one and only one subfolder: Dungeons & Dragons Online. In that folder are a bunch of subfolders and a bunch of files, including TurbineLauncher.exe
    None of the files even start with "client" anything. Not in this folder or in any of the subfolders. So I am going to uninstall and download the game again and install again and see what happens.
    "Clever stratagems are quite beyond my powers; but if it is rank foolishness you require, I have no end of it." (Neal Stephenson, The Confusion)

Community Member

I just tried to simulate your state. I removed all my client_something.dat files from my game folder and tried to run ddopreload.exe. It told me it couldn't find client_gamelogic.dat. Then I tried to run TurbineLauncher.exe and after retrieving content list from akamai, it started downloading the client files again (about 6GB download). So the game won't go past the launcher if you don't have the client files.

That's why I said you must be searching in the worng place, because you said that the game indeed launched and you were able to go after patching phase, go to character selection screen and then even load into the world. Those can't be done without the client files. Maybe you accidentally deleted them? Are you still able to run the game? I don't know what else to think.
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faltout View Post
    I just tried to simulate your state. I removed all my client_something.dat files from my game folder and tried to run ddopreload.exe. It told me it couldn't find client_gamelogic.dat. Then I tried to run TurbineLauncher.exe and after retrieving content list from akamai, it started downloading the client files again (about 6GB download). So the game won't go past the launcher if you don't have the client files.

That's why I said you must be searching in the worng place, because you said that the game indeed launched and you were able to go after patching phase, go to character selection screen and then even load into the world. Those can't be done without the client files. Maybe you accidentally deleted them? Are you still able to run the game? I don't know what else to think.
    Uninstalling, redownloading, and reinstalling the fresh download did the trick -- I now have a client_logic.dat in the same folder as TurbineLauncher.exe.

I have no idea how the game even launched with the version I had.

I just ran the regular launcher and I get to my character-in-the-tavern screen now practically immediately, but with the obligatory red network icon and lost connection message. So I see that's still happening. I'll login again.

Now I'm getting the "The game was passed invalid parameters [205]" message when I right click the DDO taskbar icon.

Wow, a fresh download, a fresh install. I entered my login credentials in the login box.The world selection box came up, I selected Thelanis. I got to the character selection screen. I didn't touch anything. I didn't move any files; I didn't delete any files. I just launched the game from the desktop icon created in the install.

Well, this is a problem for a different thread.

Thanks so much for your help -- hopefully I will actually get to a point where I can try the preloader that Wanesa was kind enough to make!

Before I installed the preloader I reinstalled DDO to try to solve some issues I was having with the game. I ended up making the game unusable. So I completely uninstalled the game again and deleted the Turbine folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine) as well as renaming my old DDO directory in my Documents directory. After this second reinstallation I was able to put the preloader in the newly created DDO directory--in the new Turbine directory--and things worked great with my older issues being solved.

Moral of the story: When you do a complete uninstall, rename or delete that Dungeons and Dragons Online directory in Documents and delete the Turbine or any DDO directories in there before reinstalling and you'll avoid having to repeat the hours-long installation.

The preloader works great and I have not had to go through "loading hell" and my usual disconnect. Kudos to the programmer.
    Last edited by lordalberonn; 06-26-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Bump.

Where people apparently have lions walking in the streets- I reside in Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster.
    thanks! been using it since I can remember and I would definitely not be playing ddo anymore if it wasn't for the Preloader.
    It's shameful that a WB game's best and only fix for logging in is a third party program. Which, relative to this current thread, I may like to see more i.e. user mods where we can write our own programs to sort bags, since not ******* off players and quality over quantity isn't the dev's first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I recently upgraded to a SSD and 12 GB of RAM, and re-installed Windows 7 from scratch.

Now it takes about 10 seconds from when I click on a character to when the game is fully loaded.

Not sure how much of that is the SSD, and how much is the fresh clean install.
    Win at DDO $100
    SSD Drive $100
    Unable to log in quickly and seamlessly without making use of a third party program- PRICELESS

In all seriousness, its absolutely 100% the SSD.

To each his own- I don't prioritize $100+ for an ssd or $20 for a etr-heart to play ddo (amongst other things- heck, even autocad and revit don't take as long as ddo does at starting up and they are inherently bugs with drawing tools in)

edit: weirdest thing, meant to have a reply to another thread and posted half the stuff in this one. removed it now
    Last edited by wraxzz; 07-08-2014 at 12:42 AM. Reason: reduced post length a lot

Community Member

I installed the Lamannia client and tried to launch it without the preloader. Didn't work. Double login didn't work. Triple login didn't work. Looks like for my system at least the game is now literally unplayable without the preloader.

First, thank you for this tool. I look forward to it making actually getting into the game easier.

Second, this is really the steps we need to take in order to make the game load now? Why doesn't Turbine seem to care about these issues and fix them?

Default New Version

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DOPreload2.zip

Changes:
    1) Preloaded file is kept in "active state" (previous version kept file in "standby state") - see more below
    2) repeatedly preload should be fixed
    3) Preloader closes two minutes after game starts. It should prevent wiping file from the cache during startup.

Details:
    There must have been some change in Windows cache behaviour probably came through Windows Update. Repeatedly preload was caused by re-preloading. Preloader uses this re-preload cycles to ensure, that file is still in cache. But every re-open of that file caused wiping it from the cache (why? question for Microsoft). Fortunately there is new tool to analyze system internals named "RamMap" which is able to "sneak peek" into windows caching behaviour and to see, which files are cached and also their internal state. Cached file can have each piece (4kB page) either in "stand by" or in "active state". Pages in "stand by" state can be wiped any time when system running on low available memory. Pages in "active" state are part of process's "working set" and so they are harder to wipe. This is the reason, why preloader keeps running two minutes after game start. Unfortunately, this means that preloader block 280MB during the game start. This can cause troubles on low memory systems.

There is still previous version available, so you can choose which fits better to you. Any issues with the new version please report here or use PM.

Edit: During game update, please close the preloader, it can interfere with the update process.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 07-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Wanesa,
    Thanks for the updated version of the DDO Preloader. I was using the original version and after recently returning to DDO, I found my load times to be extremely frustrating, especially when the long wait often ended with a screen freeze and required the Task Manager or manual shutdown of the entire system to exit DDO.

I just installed V2 and it works like a charm. I will pass the information along to the rest of my guild that have been suffering the same aggravation.

Maybe you should offer contractual work to Turbine as an adviser to help them with all of the other problems they've failed to solve over the years.
    We should take a torch to this place and burn all the Trolls.

Community Member

Default Another Preloader Success Story

Just so that there is record, I am replying here to make the statement that yes, this preloader has helped yet another person with an issue. Played DDO for a while, left, came back, left, came back again just a few days ago and was having an issue I hadn't encountered before:

Game would load to character select, but once a character was selected it would hang at loading for a fair time before loading up to a red latency symbol and, a minute later, a disconnect error box. At that point, the client still wouldn't close on its own - I had to force it from Task Manager.

I had checked the usual suspects: firewall was letting it through, router wasn't an issue, tried running as admin. I even disabled ipv6, since that seemed to work for someone else. No dice.

My only hiccup with the preloader so far is that I forgot to uncheck run-as-admin on the launcher at first, and the preloader couldn't start the launcher. Once I realized what the problem was, game started up just fine, first try.

Thank you.

Thumbs up

I just have one thing to say to you Wanesa......

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't purify the healing spring!!!! Trust me!!!
    Unless you have a high dodge, .........at least it was paper cups and not arrows LOL
    Some dwarves can be so touchy!!!

do i need to uninstall the previous version, before i install the new?
    thnx!
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing
    My trade list: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-My-Trade-List

Community Member

I just have my antivirus software (avast) perform a full scan on DDO directory before launching, seems to have same effect as preloader. Just an FYI for those having problems.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

If the preloader works as well as people claim, this thread should be one of the locked, official threads at the top of one of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1313 View Post
    do i need to uninstall the previous version, before i install the new?
    thnx!
    Just let it overwrite the one EXE file from the archive. (archive contains also source files, they are not necessary to run the program, but can be useful to someone to make modifications in the code)

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast