Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 335
  1. #141
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    I never had the double-loading issue, but anyway this little program reduced my loading time. I'm not sure how much, cause i just installed it a few hours ago it and run DDO only once without paying much attention, but probably it was a 3-4 minutes faster. So, thanks!



    Quote Originally Posted by mmitch5 View Post
    When I see that 10 graphic pictures are loaded in 3 different
    Languages at every download I think they really need to hire
    People who are efficient in those things
    To solve this little bug, take a look here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...load-on-launch
    (there's solution for both pc and mac users)
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  2. #142
    Community Member vampiregoat69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sneaking up behind you
    Posts
    241

    Default

    Not sure what is going on but this worked for long time now it goes through launches the launcher then goes back to reading files over an over for hours on end non stop.

  3. #143
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    3,660

    Default

    step one, have 8 gigs of ram. (mostly because ddo leaks more then a BP capsized tanker in the gulf)

    Step two, buy a Samsung evo SSD.

    Step three, ponder how in the hell you ever lived without this thing.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  4. #144

    Default

    I'm thinking about adding a SDD drive for some of the few games that I play and not for windows per say. Since I don't have that much experience with SDD drivers over regular hard drives will that help at least to some extent with over all load times?

  5. #145
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vampiregoat69 View Post
    Not sure what is going on but this worked for long time now it goes through launches the launcher then goes back to reading files over an over for hours on end non stop.
    A friend had a similar problem - I suggested he uninstall this program and reload it and that seemed to work for him.

  6. #146
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    A friend had a similar problem - I suggested he uninstall this program and reload it and that seemed to work for him.
    Which program: the preloader or DDO?

    As near as I can tell, the preloader isn't acutally "installed", you just open the zip file and run it. Anyway, I tried downloading the latest version, but it still doesn't work the way it did when I first started using it.
    __________________
    Shawn

  7. #147
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I have been having a double login problem for almost two years.

    I tried this today and it fixed my problem!

    Thank you!

  8. #148
    Community Member Zillee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Adding another note of thanks =)

    Now my only problem is having to make my cup of tea and snacks faster as I used to start ddo up and then spend 5 mins pottering about in the kitchen.

  9. #149
    Community Member Nayus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Turbine:

    Please pin this page, it's beyond useful.

  10. #150
    Community Member der_kluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,836

    Default

    Just adding my voice to the chorus as to how awesome this is, and to bump it to the main page.

    Thank you, DDOPreload!
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

  11. #151
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default Adjusting

    Is there a way to alter the program so that there is a settings screen or command line adjustments that could be made. Like a min and max of memory that could be used? Or the ability to load to another drive? Loading onto another drive might provide the speed needed. I know one user that could load on an external drive. I would like to load to a 32 GB 3.0 class 10 USB. Just a thought.








    Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Hi guys.
    (sorry for all mistakes and typos in the article. English is not my natural language)

    From time to time i can see articles about troubles during loading the game for the first time. After character selection, loading phase can take up to 5 minutes. During loading, the game client doesn't respond to the server messages so kicking out from the game server is the most result of this situation.

    You can probably see that:

    (keep eye on time at left bottom corner)
    (can you see red icon on top of the image?)

    After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster. Program can be downloaded here:

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DDOPreload.zip

    There is a screen-shot:


    Following links shows how faster is entering to the game (after clean boot)

    (keep eye on clock)

    The program is distributed free with the source code under GPL licence. You need at least 2GB of the physical memory installed at your board. It will not work if there is less memory - don't use on 1GB memory board.
    Note that windows cache works as magic with its own will. Sometimes it can remove cached content before it is really need. You should also stop all (mostly unwanted) memory optimizers (actually they still not work) and applications that can manipulate with the windows cache. Stopping th Superfetch (sysmain) service may also help.

    Enjoy and please report all bugs to me.

  12. #152
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Edit: Nevermind. Problem solved.
    Last edited by somethingtosay; 12-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.

  13. #153
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somethingtosay View Post
    Edit: Nevermind. Problem solved.
    good to know

    *whistles a cheerful bumpy tune* ;D
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  14. #154
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default DDO preloader

    So all i have to do is DL the preloader and start ddo normally??

  15. #155
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tatutommy81 View Post
    So all i have to do is DL the preloader and start ddo normally??
    You run the preloader and it launches DDO for you
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

  16. #156
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    I'm thinking about adding a SDD drive for some of the few games that I play and not for windows per say. Since I don't have that much experience with SDD drivers over regular hard drives will that help at least to some extent with over all load times?
    There are a couple of ways to use an SSD. I use mine as a caching drive using Intel Rapid Storage Service. It speeds up EVERYTHING.. If you simply use it as a second drive and install software to it, it will speed up the file loading portion of that software by more than an order of magnitude. It won't help, in that case, with loading of Windows DLLs and anything not specifically stored on it, nor will it help with non-drive-related speed issues.

    The other consideration is SSD life. SSDs have a limited (albeit fairly large) number of read/write cycles before they die. Using one as a relatively static storage unit for software will make it live longer than in active usage where the contents change frequently. OS'es and utilities these days are mostly smart enough not to defrag SSD's by default (frequent defrags greatly shorten life, and since there's no physical 'head thrashing' defragging doesn't provide the access speed bonus it does for physical drives anyway).

    A bit of research before installing an SSD will help greatly in deciding how to use it.

  17. #157
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zistra View Post
    There are a couple of ways to use an SSD. I use mine as a caching drive using Intel Rapid Storage Service. It speeds up EVERYTHING.. If you simply use it as a second drive and install software to it, it will speed up the file loading portion of that software by more than an order of magnitude. It won't help, in that case, with loading of Windows DLLs and anything not specifically stored on it, nor will it help with non-drive-related speed issues.

    The other consideration is SSD life. SSDs have a limited (albeit fairly large) number of read/write cycles before they die. Using one as a relatively static storage unit for software will make it live longer than in active usage where the contents change frequently. OS'es and utilities these days are mostly smart enough not to defrag SSD's by default (frequent defrags greatly shorten life, and since there's no physical 'head thrashing' defragging doesn't provide the access speed bonus it does for physical drives anyway).

    A bit of research before installing an SSD will help greatly in deciding how to use it.
    Classic example of the Catch-22 associated with using an SSD.. You can get a HUGE speed bonus by using an SSD as your primary Windows drive, but you have to balance that against the absolute certainty that it will eventually fail. That being said, tablets and laptops are regularly being produced these days with an SSD as their only drive. Not sure what the MTBF on these is in real-world use. I've just spent enough time in the computer field to be wary. (not recently tho.. haven't been a tech in 15 years or more)

  18. #158
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Is the Preloader supposed to remain running in the background, or can I turn it off once the DDO Client is launched - or when I'm actually signed into the game with a green latency symbol?

  19. #159
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12

    Default hmmm

    So ive installed the preloader last fall and its been working fine im so grateful for it.. However, since the last maintenance even with the preloader ive been getting red latency is there any possibility to there being an update for the preloader anytime soon? Not sure if maintenance's/updates to the game has broken the preloader for me or if its need an update?

  20. #160
    Community Member Kawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    At you. Not 'with you'.
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalydorEstalon View Post
    Is the Preloader supposed to remain running in the background, or can I turn it off once the DDO Client is launched - or when I'm actually signed into the game with a green latency symbol?
    loader closes itself when game launches

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload