Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Community Member

I never had the double-loading issue, but anyway this little program reduced my loading time. I'm not sure how much, cause i just installed it a few hours ago it and run DDO only once without paying much attention, but probably it was a 3-4 minutes faster. So, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mmitch5 View Post
    When I see that 10 graphic pictures are loaded in 3 different
    Languages at every download I think they really need to hire
    People who are efficient in those things
    To solve this little bug, take a look here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...load-on-launch
    (there's solution for both pc and mac users)
    Last edited by Grecan; 11-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Not sure what is going on but this worked for long time now it goes through launches the launcher then goes back to reading files over an over for hours on end non stop.

step one, have 8 gigs of ram. (mostly because ddo leaks more then a BP capsized tanker in the gulf)

Step two, buy a Samsung evo SSD.

Step three, ponder how in the hell you ever lived without this thing.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

I'm thinking about adding a SDD drive for some of the few games that I play and not for windows per say. Since I don't have that much experience with SDD drivers over regular hard drives will that help at least to some extent with over all load times?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by vampiregoat69 View Post
    Not sure what is going on but this worked for long time now it goes through launches the launcher then goes back to reading files over an over for hours on end non stop.
    A friend had a similar problem - I suggested he uninstall this program and reload it and that seemed to work for him.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    A friend had a similar problem - I suggested he uninstall this program and reload it and that seemed to work for him.
    Which program: the preloader or DDO?

As near as I can tell, the preloader isn't acutally "installed", you just open the zip file and run it. Anyway, I tried downloading the latest version, but it still doesn't work the way it did when I first started using it.

Community Member

I have been having a double login problem for almost two years.

I tried this today and it fixed my problem!

Thank you!

Adding another note of thanks =)

Now my only problem is having to make my cup of tea and snacks faster as I used to start ddo up and then spend 5 mins pottering about in the kitchen.

Turbine:

Please pin this page, it's beyond useful.

Just adding my voice to the chorus as to how awesome this is, and to bump it to the main page.

Thank you, DDOPreload!
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Community Member

Default Adjusting

Is there a way to alter the program so that there is a settings screen or command line adjustments that could be made. Like a min and max of memory that could be used? Or the ability to load to another drive? Loading onto another drive might provide the speed needed. I know one user that could load on an external drive. I would like to load to a 32 GB 3.0 class 10 USB. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Hi guys.
    (sorry for all mistakes and typos in the article. English is not my natural language)

From time to time i can see articles about troubles during loading the game for the first time. After character selection, loading phase can take up to 5 minutes. During loading, the game client doesn't respond to the server messages so kicking out from the game server is the most result of this situation.

You can probably see that:

(keep eye on time at left bottom corner)
    (can you see red icon on top of the image?)

After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster. Program can be downloaded here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DDOPreload.zip

There is a screen-shot:

Following links shows how faster is entering to the game (after clean boot)

(keep eye on clock)

The program is distributed free with the source code under GPL licence. You need at least 2GB of the physical memory installed at your board. It will not work if there is less memory - don't use on 1GB memory board.
    Note that windows cache works as magic with its own will. Sometimes it can remove cached content before it is really need. You should also stop all (mostly unwanted) memory optimizers (actually they still not work) and applications that can manipulate with the windows cache. Stopping th Superfetch (sysmain) service may also help.

Enjoy and please report all bugs to me.

Community Member

Edit: Nevermind. Problem solved.
    Last edited by somethingtosay; 12-28-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by somethingtosay View Post
    Edit: Nevermind. Problem solved.
    good to know

*whistles a cheerful bumpy tune* ;D
    If i haven't responded to your post, it doesn't necessarily mean that i don't have counter-arguments, it might simply mean that i don't want to keep feeding the trolls.
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Community Member

Default DDO preloader

So all i have to do is DL the preloader and start ddo normally??

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tatutommy81 View Post
    So all i have to do is DL the preloader and start ddo normally??
    You run the preloader and it launches DDO for you
    Plastic People
    Hey! Hey!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    I'm thinking about adding a SDD drive for some of the few games that I play and not for windows per say. Since I don't have that much experience with SDD drivers over regular hard drives will that help at least to some extent with over all load times?
    There are a couple of ways to use an SSD. I use mine as a caching drive using Intel Rapid Storage Service. It speeds up EVERYTHING.. If you simply use it as a second drive and install software to it, it will speed up the file loading portion of that software by more than an order of magnitude. It won't help, in that case, with loading of Windows DLLs and anything not specifically stored on it, nor will it help with non-drive-related speed issues.

The other consideration is SSD life. SSDs have a limited (albeit fairly large) number of read/write cycles before they die. Using one as a relatively static storage unit for software will make it live longer than in active usage where the contents change frequently. OS'es and utilities these days are mostly smart enough not to defrag SSD's by default (frequent defrags greatly shorten life, and since there's no physical 'head thrashing' defragging doesn't provide the access speed bonus it does for physical drives anyway).

A bit of research before installing an SSD will help greatly in deciding how to use it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zistra View Post
    There are a couple of ways to use an SSD. I use mine as a caching drive using Intel Rapid Storage Service. It speeds up EVERYTHING.. If you simply use it as a second drive and install software to it, it will speed up the file loading portion of that software by more than an order of magnitude. It won't help, in that case, with loading of Windows DLLs and anything not specifically stored on it, nor will it help with non-drive-related speed issues.

The other consideration is SSD life. SSDs have a limited (albeit fairly large) number of read/write cycles before they die. Using one as a relatively static storage unit for software will make it live longer than in active usage where the contents change frequently. OS'es and utilities these days are mostly smart enough not to defrag SSD's by default (frequent defrags greatly shorten life, and since there's no physical 'head thrashing' defragging doesn't provide the access speed bonus it does for physical drives anyway).

A bit of research before installing an SSD will help greatly in deciding how to use it.
    Classic example of the Catch-22 associated with using an SSD.. You can get a HUGE speed bonus by using an SSD as your primary Windows drive, but you have to balance that against the absolute certainty that it will eventually fail. That being said, tablets and laptops are regularly being produced these days with an SSD as their only drive. Not sure what the MTBF on these is in real-world use. I've just spent enough time in the computer field to be wary. (not recently tho.. haven't been a tech in 15 years or more)

Community Member

Is the Preloader supposed to remain running in the background, or can I turn it off once the DDO Client is launched - or when I'm actually signed into the game with a green latency symbol?

Community Member

Default hmmm

So ive installed the preloader last fall and its been working fine im so grateful for it.. However, since the last maintenance even with the preloader ive been getting red latency is there any possibility to there being an update for the preloader anytime soon? Not sure if maintenance's/updates to the game has broken the preloader for me or if its need an update?

Quote Originally Posted by CalydorEstalon View Post
    Is the Preloader supposed to remain running in the background, or can I turn it off once the DDO Client is launched - or when I'm actually signed into the game with a green latency symbol?
    loader closes itself when game launches

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast