Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFunzel View Post
    doesnt seem to work anymore after Update 19 patch 3 (today)
    it gets to "launching game" - you start the game and then the preloader jumps back to point #2 and repeats preloading over and over.
    tested on 3 computers all the same; actually loggin in to the game after that takes 2-10 minutes followed by a red disconnect on the first couple of tries.

anyone else?
    Actually, first time after a patch or update you should start without the preloader.

At least for letting the client update itself, not necessarily for playing or even trying to login.

I managed to get the game files corrupted on one system once due to weird interactions between the preloader, client self-update, and apparently the antivirus software I was running. (Writing into the .dat while it was open by the preloader, and... well, better not do that.) It couldn't self-recover from that, either - had to restore from backup and update again.
    Last edited by mna; 10-03-2013 at 12:15 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).
    Away from the game most of 2015.

Community Member

I wanted to share another tip that some of my friends and I use: Instead of running the game off of your HDD, copy the entire DDO folder structure onto an 8+ gig USB 2.0 key. For us, it has completely removed any of the startup lag and "red" connection problems. (Also, since I use my work laptop it's nice having it separated).

As for how this makes sense? A USB 2.0 drive shouldn't be as fast as a HDD connected via SATA. But our guess is that when it loads up, it's doing a ton of seeking internally in the big files. The USB key (which is solid state memory) has extremely low seek times, even compared to a HDD with a higher sustained transfer rate.

Anyway, if you have a USB key sitting around, it's another idea.

One caveat: When the updates come in (like Update 19 and the patches) it takes forever to update. Not sure why.

Community Member

Just pitching in again to say thanks for developing the Preloader tool. Turbine should be paying you royalties for customer retention.

Thank you! It works as advertised, load time reduced from over 2 minutes to a couple seconds.

I'd send you a gift if I were on Thelanis.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DogzOfWar View Post
    As for how this makes sense? A USB 2.0 drive shouldn't be as fast as a HDD connected via SATA. ...
    ... One caveat: When the updates come in (like Update 19 and the patches) it takes forever to update. Not sure why.
    I'd guess that's the USB drive not being as fast as a HDD, right there.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

it gets to "launching game" - you start the game and then the preloader jumps back to point #2 and repeats preloading over and over.
    tested on 3 computers all the same; actually loggin in to the game after that takes 2-10 minutes followed by a red disconnect on the first couple of tries.

anyone else?
    Same here - significant slowdowns and orange with the following "connection lost" on login.

Any word on how to fix this? Game actually seems to be loading faster without the tool now, for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    Writing into the .dat while it was open by the preloader, and... well, better not do that.) It couldn't self-recover from that, either - had to restore from backup and update again.
    i hope this is not an issue. Preloader opens file without locking. It allows both writes and reads during preload. (FILE_SHARE_READ and FILE_SHARE_WRITE). For update software it should be transparent.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

anyone else?
    Jump back to #2 is wai. It refresh cache. If this takes long, it shows memory issue (low memory) because cache has been flushed between runs. Preloader also is trying to detect when game starts and it should exit after DDO main window apper. However, detection uses title of that window. I did not test other languages, so it can fail when title contains different text.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    i hope this is not an issue. Preloader opens file without locking. It allows both writes and reads during preload. (FILE_SHARE_READ and FILE_SHARE_WRITE). For update software it should be transparent.
    It also worked perfectly fine when I did that while using a different antivirus product.

There's also a possible complication in that the game files are owned by a different user account than what I was logged in as. (I don't regularly play while on an "administrator" account, even on my own laptop.)

Just to be safe, nowadays after a service break I first start the game without the preloader and with admin privileges, and quit after it's finished updating.

Got it working fine before the hotfix.

After the hotfix, getting "Problem accessing account information" and "Failed to queue" errors, unable to log on w/ preloader active.

Works fine without (though of course slower than with Preloader before hotfix).

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Got it working fine before the hotfix.

After the hotfix, getting "Problem accessing account information" and "Failed to queue" errors, unable to log on w/ preloader active.

Works fine without (though of course slower than with Preloader before hotfix).
    I am getting those errors in the launcher every few logins without DDOPreload running. My guess is you will too. DDOPreload is just launching the same launcher program anyway, I don't see how it could cause network problems.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Default Thank You +1

Working great for me!

Community Member

Might be a weird question to ask, but my game sometimes has the slow load and red icon problem not only when I first start the game. Sometimes it happens after a few character swaps. So here is the question: can the Preloader be used in between character swaps to prevent those crashes aswell ?

Wanesa, thank you for this great program. It worked for me exactly as described. +1 to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaatan View Post
    Might be a weird question to ask, but my game sometimes has the slow load and red icon problem not only when I first start the game. Sometimes it happens after a few character swaps. So here is the question: can the Preloader be used in between character swaps to prevent those crashes aswell ?
    In short, no. Wanesa's preloader forces Windows to load a single file (client_gamelogic.dat to be specific) into OS cache memory. Once it has accomplished this function, it does nothing else except shell the ddolauncher. What you are experiencing is the Zone Bug, caused by running out of physical memory, for which there are a variety of tricks to alleviate but never really eliminate. The Preloader can help with this slightly, but only on the first load.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

After going back & forward with support trying to resolve this issue I finally found this thread. Using the preloader got me into the game first try for the first time in bloody month.

Thanks any and all who were involved

Why this isn't on the tech support known issues list (or made more clear if it is) I don't know.

Community Member

Default Nice job!

I'm happy to report that this is working great for me. Not only is the game loading much faster, but I'm no longer getting the "red box" with the latency probably that was forcing me to have to load the game twice every time I wanted to get on. Why doesn't Turbine bake this into their product? Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaquende View Post
    I'm happy to report that this is working great for me. Not only is the game loading much faster, but I'm no longer getting the "red box" with the latency probably that was forcing me to have to load the game twice every time I wanted to get on. Why doesn't Turbine bake this into their product? Excellent work.
    Ditto this :-)

Thanks for taking the time to develop this tool, much appreciated!
    Ghallanda - Captains Crew - Syrenity -- Syrennity -- Syrrenity -- Xaandria

Community Member

Great app, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

Still working after U20, and it really does make a difference to my load times after character selection. Haven't had the double load issue since I started using this about four days ago. A hearty +1 to you, sir/madam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast