Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    DDO loads faster after the initial run due to a mechanism built into Windows causing it to cache commonly accessed files. Normally the files would be fetched as they're opened by Windows. This program is simply instructing Windows to cache the data file that causes the most problems before it is actually opened by DDO.
    Yep, there is no magic. It is very primitive program.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I suppose it could be that easy. Though if it were why would Turbine not fix it?
    That is the trick. We say Turbine as easily as we say DDO.

But in this case I don't think it is a DDO issue directly. I think it is a Turbine Engine issue where in DDO developers don't have much to do there as that is a different team (which seems to be rather underfunded.) LOTRO logins have been getting worse also, and they use the same base engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Yep, there is no magic. It is very primitive program.
    Would be nice to see it expanded to support more applications. Perhaps use a config file to list all the files it should precache.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Would be nice to see it expanded to support more applications. Perhaps use a config file to list all the files it should precache.
    (If you are comfortable reading source code, it's in the source code that accompanies the software.)

I suppose that would make a great "deluxe" version, maybe even modify the UI so you can see the list of "preloadable" (!) files and you can check or uncheck the files you wish to preload (saved between sessions of course.) Could default to the major ones it already preloads.

Its simply fantastic already. That would be just nice frosting on the cake.

Community Member

For me it means a computer that is being used for a role it was not really designed to handle. Budget computers, Dell or otherwise, are just not designed for gaming. Especially resource hungry games such as DDO. Wouldn't surprise me if the others are running similar setups.
    I'm one of those guys with an 'old machine' [Dell Inspiron]

This 'simple' program has made a significant difference to my load times. First log in of the day wasn't a huge deal, i'd just go get a drink or something - where it really shines for me is when the client shuts down fully on entering the desert or forest and i'd need to reboot the whole computer, often with the rest of the party waiting on me.

+1 and a big thank you to OP for making it available.

Hi guys.
    (sorry for all mistakes and typos in the article. English is not my natural language)

From time to time i can see articles about troubles during loading the game for the first time. After character selection, loading phase can take up to 5 minutes. During loading, the game client doesn't respond to the server messages so kicking out from the game server is the most result of this situation.

You can probably see that:

(keep eye on time at left bottom corner)
    (can you see red icon on top of the image?)

After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster. Program can be downloaded here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DDOPreload.zip

There is a screen-shot:

Following links shows how faster is entering to the game (after clean boot)

(keep eye on clock)

The program is distributed free with the source code under GPL licence. You need at least 2GB of the physical memory installed at your board. It will not work if there is less memory - don't use on 1GB memory board.
    Note that windows cache works as magic with its own will. Sometimes it can remove cached content before it is really need. You should also stop all (mostly unwanted) memory optimizers (actually they still not work) and applications that can manipulate with the windows cache. Stopping th Superfetch (sysmain) service may also help.

Enjoy and please report all bugs to me.
    Thank you so much for this i now log in first time with this program. Before this i had to log in twice.

Default ty

thanks.
    Formerly known as Battlehawke until 5/9/2013 when a great storm came through (several weeks after the forum changes btw) and "Poof" Everything went away. ......Thanks Turbine....

Some where between here and forgetting all together

Default I still think its magic

Wow that load in time was so fast you just blew my mind. I often have to wait 5-10 mins for the game to load, with 1-3 attempted log-ins. With the preloader i was in the game in 30 seconds flat fully loaded! I Love You Guys <3
    " All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage." -Sherlock

Thelanis Server -Kwei Li, Morrgane, Scatach Una, Aislen, Crowker of the Black Company, Vespir, Nigella of the Mist, Faolan, Sanpaku, Craevin

Community Member

I get the error message "Can't open file 'client_gamelogic.dat'" when attempting to run the program.

I have 3GB of memory on my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post
    I get the error message "Can't open file 'client_gamelogic.dat'" when attempting to run the program.

I have 3GB of memory on my laptop.

Any suggestions?
    ddopreload.exe must be in the same directory where is that reported file. You have to run it by doubleclicking on ddopreload.exe in that directory. If you are creating a shortcut, make sure, thay startup directory contains a valid path to that directory. And finally, you need to have permission for that file. In rare cases, you will need to run ddopreload.exe as administrator. Try that if it is your case.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

ddopreload.exe must be in the same directory where is that reported file. You have to run it by doubleclicking on ddopreload.exe in that directory. If you are creating a shortcut, make sure, thay startup directory contains a valid path to that directory. And finally, you need to have permission for that file. In rare cases, you will need to run ddopreload.exe as administrator. Try that if it is your case.
    Rare cases? Such as when DDO has been installed under the "Program Files" directory? I know windows does extra "protection" to files under that directory. Just curious if that could be part of the permission hangup.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Rare cases? Such as when DDO has been installed under the "Program Files" directory? I know windows does extra "protection" to files under that directory. Just curious if that could be part of the permission hangup.
    Windows connected to a domain typically if it is office computer. You still can have access denied if you are not admin, but ddo itself asks for UAC if it is need. Ddopreload.exe doesn't. But most ppls in offices with domain cannot probably install ddo at all, so that why i said "rare"

Windows connected to a domain typically if it is office computer. You still can have access denied if you are not admin, but ddo itself asks for UAC if it is need. Ddopreload.exe doesn't. But most ppls in offices with domain cannot probably install ddo at all, so that why i said "rare"
    Ah, right. Domains. I always forget about those.

Community Member

Thank you! Made a huge difference to my loading speed!

Community Member

Thanks Wanesa, I reset my shortcut from the directory and now it works great.

Cheers

Community Member

My own take on installing the Preloader:

I set it up so I can click START->RUN and type ddo hit ENTER and the game loads.

On my XP system I unpacked the Preloader and moved the .EXE to my default DDO Folder (Directory).
    I then created a file called ddo.bat and put it here:

c:\Documents and Settings\MyUsername\

The file ddo.bat contains 3 lines:

"C:\Program Files\Turbine\DDO Unlimited"
    ddopreload.exe
    exit

Adjust for your Windows System user folder, your DDO installation directory, and you're good to go.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    A shortcut would be much simpler and more intuitive.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I don't dispute that. I've got a desktop full of them.

I just personally like the fact that I am in the middle of 3 things and I can click click ddo click and go, it's easier fo rme than closing windows and looking for the shortcut a lot of the time so I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone is like me. I thought shortcuts were the obvious assumed method used by most people and I am not at all surprised to be in a distinct minority.

Works great.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Community Member

Thanks for putting in all the time and effort! I used the preloader last night and it worked like a charm.

I didn't realise this problem was so widespread until recently. I had assumed that in my scenario it was because I'm playing on a wireless network shared with others - with a wall or two between my laptop and the router as well. I'm sure all that factors into other lag.

I wonder whether I would have got into Skyrim if I'd known of this tool beforehand. Was this around back in December?

Thanks again.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast