Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How to make the game loading faster - DDOPreload official

Hi guys.
    (sorry for all mistakes and typos in the article. English is not my natural language)

From time to time i can see articles about troubles during loading the game for the first time. After character selection, loading phase can take up to 5 minutes. During loading, the game client doesn't respond to the server messages so kicking out from the game server is the most result of this situation.

You can probably see that:

(keep eye on time at left bottom corner)
    (can you see red icon on top of the image?)

After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster. Program can be downloaded here:

new version (v2): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DOPreload2.zip
    old version (v1): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DDOPreload.zip

There is a screen-shot:

Following links shows how faster is entering to the game (after clean boot)

(keep eye on clock)

The program is distributed free with the source code under GPL licence. You need at least 2GB of the physical memory installed at your board. It will not work if there is less memory - don't use on 1GB memory board.
    Note that windows cache works as magic with its own will. Sometimes it can remove cached content before it is really need. You should also stop all (mostly unwanted) memory optimizers (actually they still not work) and applications that can manipulate with the windows cache. Stopping th Superfetch (sysmain) service may also help.

Enjoy and please report all bugs to me.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 07-23-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: New version

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Community Member

Default thanks

I was already using the previous (compiled with /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE) version.

It really helps until last release. Now loading takes between 40 seconds and 10 minutes... with or without preloader... I've to figure out what's going on.

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing this preloader, it has already saved me several hours

I recently upgraded to a SSD and 12 GB of RAM, and re-installed Windows 7 from scratch.

Now it takes about 10 seconds from when I click on a character to when the game is fully loaded.

Not sure how much of that is the SSD, and how much is the fresh clean install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I recently upgraded to a SSD and 12 GB of RAM, and re-installed Windows 7 from scratch.

Now it takes about 10 seconds from when I click on a character to when the game is fully loaded.

That's pretty much all SSD.

I don't know what Turbine is doing when game assets are being loaded, but is has got to use the most random read pattern ever devised. They really need to address the file structures or loading scheme to minimize disk thrash. It gets worse with every update. A complete uninstall/reinstall cycle (to internally defrag the "unfraggable" data files) no longer has a significant impact on load times. There are simply too many resources to load all at once.

And many thanks to Wanesa for taking the time to code the preloader. I don't use it personally, but it seems to have helped a great many users. So, HUZZAH!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    That's pretty much all SSD.
    /agree

I don't know what Turbine is doing when game assets are being loaded, but is has got to use the most random read pattern ever devised. They really need to address the file structures or loading scheme to minimize disk thrash. It gets worse with every update.
    IMHO, the file "'client_gamelogic.dat" is like internal filesystem. During each update, you can see a lot of small files created in the "forward"(?) folder named "client_gamelogic.NNN.dat" and one file "client_gamelogic.new.dat". During final phase, these files are glued up to a new client_gamelogic.dat file. It seems that files are randomly placed there. Turbine should consider some ordering of these pieces of the data ... to keep the order in which pieces are accessed during load.

A complete uninstall/reinstall cycle (to internally defrag the "unfraggable" data files) no longer has a significant impact on load times. There are simply too many resources to load all at once.
    Because the official downloadable version is very old and it always updates self complete.

And many thanks to Wanesa ...
    YW!

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

I have 4 gigs of memory and installed into the directory it says but gives me a memory allocation error every time.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    IMHO, the file "'client_gamelogic.dat" is like internal filesystem. During each update, you can see a lot of small files created in the "forward"(?) folder named "client_gamelogic.NNN.dat" and one file "client_gamelogic.new.dat". During final phase, these files are glued up to a new client_gamelogic.dat file. It seems that files are randomly placed there. Turbine should consider some ordering of these pieces of the data ... to keep the order in which pieces are accessed during load.
    One large file vs millions of smaller ones. It really won't make a whole lot of hard drive access/thrashing difference. At least I think it won't. Order won't help a whole lot as each person wears different skins, and not everyone loads in at the same places.

The biggest difference between the two is how much space on your drive is used. The smaller ones will take up more just on the issue of block usage.

Something I want to do at some point is to just delete one of the data files and try to repair. I would think it should download the whole file which should in turn also defrag it internally.

Has anyone noticed if Hybrid drives give improvement to DDO, or is SSD pretty much the way to go with the constantly dropping prices? Granted, I can get a bigger drive if I go Hybrid vs SSD.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

2016 DDO Players Council UurlockYgmeov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Has anyone noticed if Hybrid drives give improvement to DDO, or is SSD pretty much the way to go with the constantly dropping prices? Granted, I can get a bigger drive if I go Hybrid vs SSD.
    My second hard drive is a Seagate XT 7200 500gb (ST95005620AS)and the only thing on it is DDO.

It makes a massive difference in two ways: only thing accessing disk is DDO - no competition for disk throughput; and no other data to fragment the drive.

I run Diskeeper and that does an excellent job of preventing any fragmentation to begin with.

Eventually I will upgrade to a high speed USB 3.0 drive of 32gb or larger and use that for DDO. Am confident that will outperform even an SSD.

In my experience, getting an SSD is NOT the fix. It is the upgrade in ram that makes the difference. If the game needed to access the hard drive on a constant basis, then I'd agree with the hd upgrade. I recently upgraded my cpu from 3.1ghz Quad core to a 4.0ghz 8 core (which I am sure helped as well) and went from 4gigs of ram to 8gigs. Ram is what the game uses most, not the hd.
    It's good to be the king!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

yar the ssd is just the sexiest upgrade you can get for your machine. Especially for mmo gaming. I tell you I hate other peoples computers now. They are inferior and slow next to the power of the ssd lol.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Thumbs up

Thank you for continuing to support the preloader for those of use who dont have the scratch to buy a new hard drive and RAM right now just to play DDO.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Community Member

Thank you for continuing to support the preloader for those of use who dont have the scratch to buy a new hard drive and RAM right now just to play DDO.
    It isn't my ram that's the problem I got 32 gb ram... graphics card more then capable to run ddo and yet it still is freezen on screen :3 I blame ddo's ****** programming. thanks for the preloader saved me time

Quote Originally Posted by 2Crusader View Post
    It isn't my ram that's the problem I got 32 gb ram... graphics card more then capable to run ddo and yet it still is freezen on screen :3 I blame ddo's ****** programming. thanks for the preloader saved me time
    If you have 32GB ram you need to try a ramdisk which is faster than an SSD.

Default Obligatory

Great program, I use it on my daughter's non-SSD PC and it's great.

Now the obligatory:

Mac Client?

(For though of us who dual box with a MacBook Pro next to our i7, SLI, SSD gaming rigs and keep having to wait for the Apple to catch up)

Thumbs up

After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster.
    I've been using the previous version, it's worked 100% of the time and still does. Is this new one better in some way? And thank you so much by the way!
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

Quote Originally Posted by ycheese123 View Post
    I've been using the previous version, it's worked 100% of the time and still does. Is this new one better in some way? And thank you so much by the way!
    There are several changes
    1. It is presented as community tool - until today, many ppl did not trust this application because they worry about viruses. Now, application is distributed with source codes, so you don't need to trust binary and compile own version - if you have that skill. License has been added.
    2. GUI - it has some better GUI and pretty progress bar. No more console
    3. Errors are better reported. Console did not show anything when something went wrong.
    4. Windows cache is occasionally refreshed and kept during TurbineLauncher is shown on the screen. DDOPreloader stops keeping cache right after ddoclient starts. This is still subject of investigation and testing.
    5. DDOPreload first does preload and then starts TurbineLauncher. This makes things slightly faster.
    6. Memory cleaner - first phase - during this phase, all memory is forced to swap out to ensure, that windows will not have motivation to wipe out the cached files - this phase did occasionally crash on some PCs. This should be fixed now.
    Last edited by Wanesa; 07-19-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Community Member

downloaded and tried, works awesome, first time log in for the day down to <30 seconds from 3-5 minutes, might be just luck but also didn't have issue with first seconds right after loading, without the preloader i always had 10-30 seconds when character was "stuck" (can't move, can't select, shortcut keys don't work), this was especially bad when logging in crafting hall, now loaded game first time for the day and intentionally logged a toon that i knew was in crafting hall - no problem, 2 seconds later opened bank (with tr cache). so, thanks!

Hi guys.
    (sorry for all mistakes and typos in the article. English is not my natural language)

From time to time i can see articles about troubles during loading the game for the first time. After character selection, loading phase can take up to 5 minutes. During loading, the game client doesn't respond to the server messages so kicking out from the game server is the most result of this situation.

After hours of the investigation, me and my friend have developed a small tool that can speed up this loading phase and definitively solve problem with red icon in the first enter to the game. DDOPreloader. This program reads all DDO's necessary files into Windows cache which is apparently much faster than any classical HDD. DDOClient can benefit from the windows cache and starts faster. Program can be downloaded here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DDOPreload.zip

There is a screen-shot:

(keep eye on clock)

The program is distributed free with the source code under GPL licence. You need at least 2GB of the physical memory installed at your board. It will not work if there is less memory - don't use on 1GB memory board.
    Note that windows cache works as magic with its own will. Sometimes it can remove cached content before it is really need. You should also stop all (mostly unwanted) memory optimizers (actually they still not work) and applications that can manipulate with the windows cache. Stopping th Superfetch (sysmain) service may also help.

Thank you so much for this i now log in first time with this program. Before this i had to log in twice.

This small file really helped me and still helps me
    Everyday..
    Thanks a lot and congrats on this
    You should Apply to turbine really
    When I see that 10 graphic pictures are loaded in 3 different
    Languages at every download I think they really need to hire
    People who are efficient in those things

Hi guys.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DDOPreload.zip

There is a screen-shot:

(keep eye on clock)

**Anamalia level 25 Cleric **
    Guild Stealer of souls

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast