Community Member

Default character options please help

Hi guys
    im a relatively new player but like the game so I bought the shadowfell conspiracy so I had some bonuses and turbine points to play with. I am still f2p though.

After trawling through here I saw that buying gianthold is a must and purchased it.

Im now looking at getting a character class so I have more design options.

Im pushing towards artificer but was looking for suggestions from more experienced players because I dont wanna waste my free points.

So any suggestions on a class to unlock first?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by azura1300 View Post
    Hi guys
    im a relatively new player but like the game so I bought the shadowfell conspiracy so I had some bonuses and turbine points to play with. I am still f2p though.

After trawling through here I saw that buying gianthold is a must and purchased it.

Im now looking at getting a character class so I have more design options.

Im pushing towards artificer but was looking for suggestions from more experienced players because I dont wanna waste my free points.

So any suggestions on a class to unlock first?
    Would recommend a Paladin as a first time character.
    Most groups you will find after a certain level will play on a difficulty that would make you die a lot, even if you are careful. Being a Paladin will help you with avoiding that.
    You dont have to buy it.

I would recommend to get the Demon Sands expansion pack and the Vale of Twilight as those are the most common non f2p packs to be played in in their level range and at the same ranges f2p quests get pretty rare - you would have to do the same quests over and over to get to the next highest f2p quests without those packs.
    Its adventure packs before classes really and the classes you can purchase arent better than the free ones.

For the same reasons I would recommend to not buy any classes or quests and to go VIP (instead of spending money on TP to buy classes and packs if you ever want to do that) as you would have to play several years before it would be worth it to buy them over "renting" them via a subscription (aka VIP) and you cant even be sure if the servers are up for so long.

2016 DDO Players Council PsychoBlonde's Avatar

Monk is the only class you cannot get from favor (Favored Soul and Artificer can both be obtained from favor) and it is also one of the most versatile multi-classing classes in the game. So if you're going to buy a class, buy monk.

Edit: And Druid, sorry. I'd go for monk over druid, though--and druid comes WITH the MOTU xpack.
    Thelanis player: Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Kimberlei (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Daiahn, Arrekeh