Community Member

Default Worth Returning?

I haven't played in a while, but we recently restarted a PnP game and it made me interested again. I could have sworn I was level 13 before though and had rank2 of acrobat, but my char seems to be level 9. So my questions are:

Were levels adjusted along some new curve? And is the game worth returning to at its current state? I have 32point build unlocked and a few other things, and about 1500TP left from when I last played.

Quote Originally Posted by AyanuX View Post
    I haven't played in a while, but we recently restarted a PnP game and it made me interested again. I could have sworn I was level 13 before though and had rank2 of acrobat, but my char seems to be level 9. So my questions are:

Were levels adjusted along some new curve? And is the game worth returning to at its current state? I have 32point build unlocked and a few other things, and about 1500TP left from when I last played.
    If I were you, I'd at least wait until Update 19 (August 19th, so almost exactly a month from now) hits and POSSIBLY as long as update 20. I play this game like it's a second job but I just can't find any desire to play right now since they're rebooting enhancements in mid-august (which is going to be a mess no matter what). Don't spend a month getting into the old style of play when everything's going to change radically--better to wait for the change so you'll be staggering around clueless at the same time everyone else is.

Ideally, you'd want to get your character just to level 20 before update 20 hits, because that's when they're introducing radical changes to the TR mechanics in the game, so you'd be poised to take advantage of that.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

I have never left the game .... nor have found a reason too since lunch many years ago.

However this is he only MMORPG that I play .... ried GW2 ... great graphics BUT game is meh

Was an old school Star Wars Galaxies player and never got into the new one

WoW = BARF !!

with that said ..... only you can decide whether you want to return or not .... we can just offer our opionions

Mine ..... come back and qit leaving !!

Have fun
    " Elize Ryd - Officer @ Band of Gypsys "

" Trapped in my skin - See the nexus in my dreams - But will you bury me within? "

Amaranthe - The NeXuS

I have never left the game .... nor have found a reason to since lunch many years ago.

However this is he only MMORPG that I play .... tried GW2 ... great graphics BUT game is meh

Was an old school Star Wars Galaxies player and never got into the new one

WoW = BARF !!

with that said ..... only you can decide whether you want to return or not .... we can just offer our opionions

Mine ..... come back and quit leaving !!

Have fun

" Trapped in my skin - See the nexus in my dreams - But will you bury me within? "

Amaranthe - The NeXuS

Sorry for the double post ... apparently hitting "EDIT" to fix typos ends up with a double post

oh well ....... enjoy the game

Amaranthe - The NeXuS

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I'm more sanguine than PsychoBlonde. Yes, the Enhancement overhaul (currently in closed beta) is going to radically change how we build & optimize our characters; some things are getting nerfed, others are getting buffed. Unless you're playing a FotM (Flavor of the Month) or an obsessed minmaxer, though, odds are you'll find a way to rejigger your builds to suit the new system, esp. since we're all supposed to get free LRs (again) to fix our chars.

Plus I'm pretty cynical about Turbine's promises about when it's coming out. Remember that it was originally supposed to be out last summer. And they've been promising the other racial PrEs for how many years now? So: it'll get here when it gets here.

Also, while the Enh change will radically rebalance our builds, I'm not seeing much which changes how we play the game. DDO will still be a game about slaughtering monsters so we can take their stuff. So melees will still run around twacking things, sorcs will still run around spamming firewalls, clerics will still run around trying to keep the party alive, etc.

Bottom line: I'm still having fun now and I expect to have fun in the future, despite the inevitable growing pains of the new Enhancement system. At least I sure hope I will: I already pre-ordered Shadowfell!

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Not yet, though (pre-NDA) they announced that some xp curve changes were forthcoming, though whether for 1st life too or just TRs i don't know.

As for worth returning to - well, did you enjoy it back then? People complain about bits & pieces here & there, and other things have been added, but the fundamentals of the gameplay etc. haven't changed all that drastically really so if you enjoyed it previously i'd say you're likely to enjoy it again now.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Bottom line: I'm still having fun now and I expect to have fun in the future, despite the inevitable growing pains of the new Enhancement system. At least I sure hope I will: I already pre-ordered Shadowfell!
    Yup, me too, it's just that WAITING for the enhancement revamp is driving me NUTS. I find it difficult to enjoy playing when I have no clue what I'm aiming toward. Should just quit griping and go finish my second Completionist character, but I just got a new job so RL stuff is interfering with my desire to play atm.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

No - there hasn't been any experience point vs. level changes, so your memory is at fault here. Ignore the drama queens - changes to the enhancement system will not ruin your character, nor will changes to the TR system. The game is as fun as ever, and getting better.
    Last edited by Blood; 07-19-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Also, while the Enh change will radically rebalance our builds, I'm not seeing much which changes how we play the game. DDO will still be a game about slaughtering monsters so we can take their stuff. So melees will still run around twacking things, sorcs will still run around spamming firewalls, clerics will still run around trying to keep the party alive, etc.
    Although I disagree (strongly) with many of the enhancement changes about to hit live (Past precedence tells us what we saw before closed Beta is what we are getting), the above statement is very true. The "end" game will remain the same, which is kill things (99.9% of the time) to get XP.

As far as coming back, that is up to you. You do realize you are asking a community who still plays the game (although some are wavering)? Come back as Premium, it's not like you have to spend money to play the game. And personally I have tons of space on my HD so that is not an issue for me personally. Now if you like the game, and want to support it, you are also free to spend money (which I do occasionally) to support it and the developers.

About the XP restructure. I do not believe that is coming anytime soon. But my initial understanding is that it still will require the same* "X" amount of xp to get to level 20 and it will only affect TR's. Instead of the xp curve looking more exponential it will look more linear at the lower levels (levels 4-10'ish) where they have a hard time keeping new players (and coincidentally the level range you quit playing your rogue).

* - Turbine is known for changing their minds. Initially the enhancement pass was to make the UI more user friendly and add the other PrE's that were missing. Instead we got the monstrosity that is now in Beta and are still missing PrE's. Although in Turbines defense, we have more PrE's after the pass than before.

Community Member

What about class viability? When I quit last melee was all the rage, archery sucked, etc. Like everyone and their mom was a barb or kensei fighter back then. Or a tempest monk. Is zen archery viable here? And is archery in general viable here as a main weapon?

What about class viability? When I quit last melee was all the rage, archery sucked, etc. Like everyone and their mom was a barb or kensei fighter back then. Or a tempest monk.
    Well, barbarians have received the "cold shoulder" so they are pretty pathetic ATM. Playable and "all that" but sitting at the min/medium scale of things ATM and U19 doesn't look any better (Prior to closed Beta). After Beta, things may/could be better.

Sorcerer's currently rule the roost for casters thanks to bug's in coding. After U19, unless they do some coding changes, Wizards come out ahead by "leaps and bounds" thanks to the enhancement pass and their strange developer decisions. Overall, casters in general are very viable even after U19 although they lose some flexibility if their are no changes and players are unable to convince the developers to make changes.

Is zen archery viable here? And is archery in general viable here as a main weapon?
    This is the million dollar question. Archery has been viable for a few patches but the enhancement pass has me anxiously waiting to see if archers take 10 steps back, break even, or gain a little. Breaking even may be a good thing considering developers (every MMO I have ever played/read about) hate/loathing for ranged combat.

no it is not worth returning. Why. One word Turbine.

Find something you enjoy in the game. They will screw with it and make it worse. There are a number of bugs left for years in the game that are complete annoyances that never get worked on. Now a bug that benefits the players, they hop right on that.

A number of players are just waiting for a better D & D style MMO, hence the number of players who leave every time the newest game comes out. Look at all the people who went to Neverwinter and that really doesn't even seem like an MMO.

Now they are changing the way XP works for True Reincarnation, Changing the TR system , and completely re-doing the enhancement system. Their track record is not good, so you can most likely bet that what comes from that will be worse than the old system.

If you plan on using the LFM system, currently the number of groups is at it's lowest ever and with the bravery bonus good luck finding a normal level quest group to re-learn the game.

I would wait till those changes come to decide, the player population could go down considerably if they drop the ball on this one and from what I have heard from people who log onto their beta system. This is going to be an epic fail.

I haven't played in a while
    Consider why you left. Then consider that Turbine likely didn't fix it.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssalMage View Post
    Breaking even may be a good thing considering developers (every MMO I have ever played/read about) hate/loathing for ranged combat.
    Ranged combat is very difficult to balance because it combines an offensive advantage with an ENORMOUS defensive advantage. Make it powerful, and it's the be-all end-all of the game because that way you get to deal damage without risk. Make it weak, and people will abandon it because it's no fun to sit there and plink away for half an hour to kill one enemy.

Efforts to balance it usually focus just on one side of the equation. People complain that the damage is too low, so they ramp up the damage. Instantly, ranged is now the most effective combat option in the game. People complain that ranged is over powered, so they drop the damage. Instantly, ranged is now incredibly tedious and boring and everyone skips it.

You have to manage both ends of it in order to balance it and thus far they've done a poor job of managing the defensive end via such methods as removing safe spots where you could stand and shoot and nothing could reach you or trying to encourage you to stand still and also having high burst damage but low basic damage (manyshot). The thing is, these are not whole-game mechanics, these are situational mechanics. All this kind of management achieves is to make ranged a very situationally-effective playstyle. Currently, it is a powerhouse any time you're worried about the amount of damage you're going to be taking and when only burst damage matters, namely on epic Elite.

They made some improvements with bringing in Artificers, but the repeater just doesn't have the burst that manyshot gives you. Epic crossbow arties tend to get relegated to a support role instead of being primary DPS.

So, long story short: is ranged viable? Yes, but it's also extremely variable and fiddly. It is always good to have a backup on a ranged character--either spells or melee.

From what I've seen of the new enhancement system this is not going to change very much. There will be some stylistic changes, maybe, but the core mechanics will still work pretty much the way they work now. There is some broadening of the offerings but I'm not yet sure it's enough to draw people away from Arcane Archer as the go-to ranged.
    I edited a book!

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneyks View Post
    Find something you enjoy in the game. They will screw with it and make it worse.
    Actually, for the most part they have radically improved everything I really enjoy in the game. Cleric always running out of SP? Now we have radiant servant. AC totally pointless unless you are a tank? Now everyone can have workable defenses. Compared with when I started playing, the game is ENORMOUSLY improved. Many, many more styles are much, much more independent and viable. I've played every type of character at every level and they all have their fun points.

If you chase the currently OP combos, yeah, those are going to change as new stuff comes out. If you focus on building a character with a solid core you will find that new changes almost always bring in valuable stuff you can make use of.
    I edited a book!

Community Member

What about class viability? When I quit last melee was all the rage, archery sucked, etc. Like everyone and their mom was a barb or kensei fighter back then. Or a tempest monk. Is zen archery viable here? And is archery in general viable here as a main weapon?
    Yes, archery is viable - monk zen archery combos even more so, but pure artificers are good as well, -especially- if you are comparing to the state of ranged three years ago.