Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Meh, I like Catacombs. has some very nice gear (2 items ) from the time you acquire it to the time you reach 20+ for many classes. It also provides Favor that is very nice to have. But like others have stated, MotU is a much better deal and better by a long margin. I just felt I had to defend the pack but grab MotU because you will feel better in the long run.

p.s. The items in question don't honestly matter too much as you can find the same thing (effect) on randomly generated items in the AH or treasure chests.

I love the Lvl 3 hireling. Need a level pulled? Summon it mid dungeon. Need someone to pull a lever and die for you? Same. Casters--need an extra 100-200 SP per Shrine? It has DVs...
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    I love the Lvl 3 hireling. Need a level pulled? Summon it mid dungeon. Need someone to pull a lever and die for you? Same. Casters--need an extra 100-200 SP per Shrine? It has DVs...
    Agreed.

I seriously considered getting the "starter" pack, even though I have all packs already, and don't need any more useless cosmetic pets, JUST for a low-level permanent hireling. I still might in the future if I have some birthday cash to burn or something.

Sure, normal hirelings are dirt cheap, but they expire so you constantly have to remember to buy more. The fact that it's level 3 doesn't matter if you just need a lever pulled or an instance reset. The convenience is awesome.

All that said, I don't actually recommend this "starter" pack for someone new, unless they're rich. It's not a great overall value, and, while I like Catacombs, it's not a top-tier adventure pack.

Community Member

Is the L3 cleric a permanent Gold Seal hireling?

If so, the real advantage there is that you can get 4 "players" in a party with an Arti/Druid. You, a normal Hireling, a Pet, and your Gold Seal. That lets you solo any of the quests that require 4 levers/pressure plates at once (Burning Heart, or Xorian Cipher, for example, though the workarounds for Cipher are simple enough). AFAIK 4 players is the max that's ever required to advance through a quest.

I don't think its worth $10 just for those occasional quests, but that's definitely a cheaper way to do it than getting the Owlbear (which is too high-level for those two, anyway) or paying for temporary Gold Seal hirelings.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Is the L3 cleric a permanent Gold Seal hireling?
    Yes.

I carry mine around for those days I'm running Delera and forget to bring another hireling for part 2. Just summon him, pull lever, dismiss.

Unfortunatelly, you get only one contract. Not one per character. One. BtA. It sucks if you have a lot of alts.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12