Community Member

Default Shadow king - finally WAI

Tomb of the shadow king appears to have finally been fixed after all these years.

Yesterday I ran it like always while leveling a TR. To my surprise, the mummy in the end (beginning?) was taking zeroes for damage once he became active, like he's supposed to. Up to about two weeks ago, you could just kill him right after he appears, but now you have to use the quest mechanic with the cage & the light to finish.

The funny thing is, I've used the cage exactly twice now. Once about three years ago when I trusted the quest mechanics to not be broken (I think they were), the second time yesterday, because the quest finally worked as intended.

Thanks devs, you made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by Lehmuska View Post
    Tomb of the shadow king appears to have finally been fixed after all these years.
    I saw a report, here on the forums a few months ago, of some people having similar experiences, albeit inconsistently. From what I can remember, sometimes the quest mechanic works as described, but other times he just pops out killable as before. I'm not sure if any particular trigger was identified though.

Entirely possible that they have since fixed it completely though. Stranger things have happened.

Founder

Maybe whatever mysterious code was causing the mechanics not to work has "worked itself out" over the years of changing the code. I suppose since changing the code causes so many bugs its possible that once in a while it could cause a bug to be fixed lol.

That happens from time to time. Don't worry, the quest is still as broken as it always was.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Community Member

Was he taking zero damage just from base damage? AFAIK he always took affix damage, just get a pair of Disruption weapons and you never had to bother with that annoying mechanic.

IMO, the XP for that quest is sufficiently justified just by having to light all the torches (even worse, I hit that level range right when the induction bug landed, heh). Having to drag the mummy across the map, through respawning monsters, and then position him in the "cage" was one step too many, especially for a soloer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Was he taking zero damage just from base damage? AFAIK he always took affix damage, just get a pair of Disruption weapons and you never had to bother with that annoying mechanic.

IMO, the XP for that quest is sufficiently justified just by having to light all the torches (even worse, I hit that level range right when the induction bug landed, heh). Having to drag the mummy across the map, through respawning monsters, and then position him in the "cage" was one step too many, especially for a soloer.
    I was using disruptors on him, no additional damage from those.

I actually liked the part where I have to pull him across the map just to the right spot, time the levers above just right and make that jump between them since I didn't have a dog this life. More quests should have unique boss mechanics like this instead of being simple beatdowns with bosses who last 10 seconds on elite.

Soloed this quest few days ago, didnt have to pull any levers or something special to kill him.

I had the feeling that when you were solo'ing the quest, you could kill it without the mechanics, and when there were more players inside quest, you had to use the cage.

Maybe the mummy was just playing with my mind.

Carry on.
    ~ Gaeryus (Sor14/FvS4/Pal2) Firebrand ~ ~ Phlegma (12Fgt/6Rog/2Pal)(L13)(eTR2) van Moyst ~
    ~ Hakashe (Pal14/Monk6)(L3)Nurigatu ~ ~ Koergan (Cle17/Brb2/Fgt1)Flamebeard ~
    Ex-Captain of the Flying Funk ~ ~ Ascent ~ ~ Epic Farming Videos ~ ~ New and Exciting Bugs

Ran it yesterday on my cleric with a group...decided, since party said he couldn't be hurt til the light, to run him there...and lo and behold, bursts and holy smites were damaging him...he was more than halfway dead by the time he got to the cage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Community Member

Usually when I run this with a pug, I tell everyone to get prepared with their best burst DPS because the mummy is usually taking damages... but just for a couple seconds. Then the true mechanic kicks in and you have to do it the right way.

Sometimes you just can't damage it at all and it works as intented as well. Sure is weird.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

I just ran it this morning and me and other player killed him as soon as he spawned. No need to drag him.

But I have experienced it when he spawns and cannot be harmed at all, by any weapon or spell, until you drag him all the way to the cage. I think that's only happened to me once in all the times I've run that quest.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    But I have experienced it when he spawns and cannot be harmed at all, by any weapon or spell, until you drag him all the way to the cage. I think that's only happened to me once in all the times I've run that quest.
    Never happened to me and I am grateful. I already think the quest is a major PITA as is. And I like undead heavy quests