Community Member

Default Halfling dragonmarked Arcanotechnician

I am considering a dragonmarked halfling, artificer 20 (?), caster, focusing on the new SLAs + spells, for my casual playing on Wayfinder. (No EE ambitions whatsoever.)

Big investment into Arcanotechnician tree.
    Moderate investment into halfling tree for dragonmarks, saves, perhaps heroic companion => dog.
    Moderate investment into Battle Engineer.
    No other trees available.

Early feats:
    1 maximize
    3 dragonmark
    4A empower
    6 quicken
    8A heighten
    9/12 SF/GSF Evocation
    12A augment summoning

Starting abilities (32pb):
    18 Int (16)
    16 Con (10)
    16 Dex (6)
    (Or perhaps less con/dex and bump str/cha)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I am considering a dragonmarked halfling, artificer 20 (?), caster, focusing on the new SLAs + spells, for my casual playing on Wayfinder. (No EE ambitions whatsoever.)

Big investment into Arcanotechnician tree.
    Moderate investment into halfling tree for dragonmarks, saves, perhaps heroic companion => dog.
    Moderate investment into Battle Engineer.
    No other trees available.

Early feats:
    1 maximize
    3 dragonmark
    4A empower
    6 quicken
    8A heighten
    9/12 SF/GSF Evocation
    12A augment summoning

Starting abilities (32pb):
    18 Int (16)
    16 Con (10)
    16 Dex (6)
    (Or perhaps less con/dex and bump str/cha)
    Since you're talking about a post-EP build here, I have to qualify by saying wait until the EP comes out of closed beta...

But with what we know from preview, I was batting this basic idea around too, though I play my Artis more for repeaters than for the casting. SLAs in AT are nice looking, though.

Maybe splash 1 Druid. That shouldn't hurt your DCs too much, and it gives you access to Heal as a class skill, and Empower Heal, which AFAIK boosts your DM SLAs(?) and definitely boosts your Curative Admixtures, which gives you a non-SLA option for self-heals. It also lets you take Beguile 3/3, which with a repeater even just on autoattack will quickly shut down tough mobs (bosses etc). Like crazy stupid shut them down, they attack like once every 30 seconds.

Community Member

I don't have access to closed beta and I am using pre-beta information here. Basically, I want to roll all my planned characters now to have a head start and most importantly the +20 respec token.
    Therefore, I've already rolled the Electrocutie of Wayfinder (@lvl7 atm). So far, yeah, repeaters are incredibly strong, even with non-optimal feats. Though I ended up taking PBS to qualify for the current Battle Engineer.

I am attracted by the Arcanotechnician capstone (I've never had an artificer 20 and the ability always sounded like fun).

I am currently tending towards the following feats:
    1 Maximize
    3 Dragonmark
    4A Empower
    6 PBS (for BE)
    8A quicken (asap for Turret, later hopefully nice with SLAs)
    9 SF:Evo
    12 GSF:Evo
    12A Heighten (for SLAs)
    15 Mental Toughness? (moar crits?)
    16A IC:Ranged
    18 Improved Mental Toughness?
    20A Augment Summoning? (combined with halfling companion enhancements for a big hungry dog)

What's probably going to be a disappointment is that the DCs won't be high enough to daze mobs. It would be nice if the Arcanotechnician capstone included something like "you can now heighten your spells to 9th level". Perhaps this would make "caster artificers" more viable.

Hmm, that beguile could be tasty. But I suspect if it's that strong, it's going to be nerfed hard. We'll see. If I ditched the capstone and took druid 1, I could take 1 level of another class as well, if that would help (keeping Critical Admixture SLA at artificer level 18). What would that be? Hmm, options...

EDIT: Do red-slotted random repeaters exist? I haven't seen any on Wayfinder AH, but that's not surprising really.
    Last edited by cru121; 07-30-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    So far, yeah, repeaters are incredibly strong, even with non-optimal feats. Though I ended up taking PBS to qualify for the current Battle Engineer.

I am attracted by the Arcanotechnician capstone (I've never had an artificer 20 and the ability always sounded like fun).
    I had a 20 Arti and and 18 Arti/2 Rogue, so I've played both with and without that capstone (which is essentially the current Arti capstone). The big boost to clickies is nice, but mostly just for self-buff durations. 10+Int Bonus+Spell Level isn't enough DC for 21+ content, for offensive clickies. So its ultimately a minor convenience at best...the best spells/buffs are going to be scrolled by L20 anyway, there are very very few good buffs available from clickies, and those that are (like Planar Gird) are already midlevel, and your Artificer Knowledge will boost it close to 20 even without the capstone.

I definitely don't think there are many capstones, from the Preview, that are worth going pure over multiclassing for access to other Enhancement trees.

Don't bother with Augment Summons, especially at 20....the higher level you get, the less difference it makes, and the less useful your pet is, regardless. Pets just don't scale well past 20. I'd rather take Rapid Shot for faster repeater auto-attacks when you're not casting. Or Insightful Reflexes for a decent Reflex save, even without Evasion.

A one-level splash from the Preview would probably be Rogue Mechanic, if you plan on trapping (and why wouldn't you?). 1d6 sneak die, and you can go to the first tier which gives you fast search/disabling. Otherwise probably Wizard for the extra T1 crit chance enhancement, and to get back that last bonus Feat. Plus an Invis SLA isn't bad, either.

And yes red slotted repeaters do exist - but they're hard to find, I think most people don't bother to check their lootgen to see if it socketed or not. That being said, if you're crafting, its not worth the +4 ML for a red socket until you're probably already using GS/Cormyrian/Calomel/something. +5 Screaming of Bleed (cheapest full-DPS combo) with a red socket is ML17, ML15 with Masterful Craftsmanship. Calomel L16 is better, and even F2P can get one if they plan ahead and store their free daily tokens wisely.

EDIT: unbongwah makes a good point below me. AFAIK, AS only affects summons when they're summoned, so you can just use eRoderic as a gear swap when summoning your pet/hireling(s), and enjoy the full benefits of the feat without spending an actual feat on it.
    Last edited by droid327; 07-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Don't bother with Augment Summons, especially at 20....the higher level you get, the less difference it makes, and the less useful your pet is, regardless.
    One option is to take Augment Summons while leveling; then when you hit 20, swap it out for Insightful Reflexes, a different metamagic, or a secondary ranged feat like Rapid Shot. Replace the feat with an eRoderic if you still really want AS.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Since you're talking about a post-EP build here, I have to qualify by saying wait until the EP comes out of closed beta...
    I don't get why people who were in the closed beta kept telling me this about my planned post E-Pass builds...so little was changed.

@OP: I'm taking the DM on my Halfling Arty as well now that's its reduced to 1 feat (and artys have extra feats anyways) and honestly you'll have the extra AP to spend on it (Arty trees are fairly underwhelming except for a few stand outs) there's honestly little reason not to. As for the doggie don't let people tell you it's useless I've used mine from lvl 1-20 and throughout epic and he survives just fine in anything but Epic Elite.

Oh and UBW is right you only need AS during the initial summoning so since your main reason for haviung it is your Construct its fairly easy to just equip roderics during his summoning once you epicfy it...so take the feat initially than swap it out once you get the wand+epicfy it.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    I don't get why people who were in the closed beta kept telling me this about my planned post E-Pass builds...so little was changed.
    Yeah, but (A) going into closed beta, we had no idea how little would actually change and (B) telling you something didn't change in closed beta might've violated the NDA as much as telling you what did. Rules lawyers are weird.

Anyway, what feats were you thinking? Presuming this is classic INT/DEX arty, my initial thoughts were: Least DM, PBS, Precision, Rapid Shot, Prec Shot, IC:Ranged, IPS, Maximize, and Emp. That 9 out of 15 feats (7 base + 5 arty +3 epic); what to do with the rest? One possibility was SF:Evo x3 and Great INT x2; kinda boring, but that's +4 DCs +1 dmg.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post

@OP: I'm taking the DM on my Halfling Arty as well now that's its reduced to 1 feat (and artys have extra feats anyways) and honestly you'll have the extra AP to spend on it (Arty trees are fairly underwhelming except for a few stand outs) there's honestly little reason not to. As for the doggie don't let people tell you it's useless I've used mine from lvl 1-20 and throughout epic and he survives just fine in anything but Epic Elite.

Oh and UBW is right you only need AS during the initial summoning so since your main reason for haviung it is your Construct its fairly easy to just equip roderics during his summoning once you epicfy it...so take the feat initially than swap it out once you get the wand+epicfy it.
    It's not just your Iron Defender, it's also your Turrets, other summons, and your hires. Anyone who pre-ordered might keep that in mind.

I found that once you get BB, Turrets are largely useless, as everything smashes them instantly. (but after I TR my 2nd life Druid through a Drunk life, I plan on seeing how 3 Druid past lives effect these)

However, I start carrying summon monster scrolls, or using that Xoriat trinket.

I didn't bother swapping out AS on my artie, because I was very dog dependent.