Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Right, I know we've said this before, but these kind of videos are not intended to be similar to the way you'll play the content with your guild. Characters typically cannot die or take damage due to the need to stop and explain things, take questions, show vistas, discuss systems, etc. Some press outlets, blogs, and web sites offer this video to the public for consumption, to see the cool stuff. They're not showing it to prove to you how uber they are. Neither are the devs who are behind the keyboards.

Think of this as the difference between driving down the highway and going to a classic car parade. You don't look at the parade and say, "Man, these drivers suck! They're only going 15 miles per hour! I could totally drive faster than that."
    Post us some videos of the devs running EE CiTW or EE FoT in non-godmode. Hell, I'd pay to see that.

Heck, EE Tor with dragons would suffice and you only need 6 people.

You don't look at the parade and say, "Man, these drivers suck! They're only going 15 miles per hour! I could totally drive faster than that."
    I sure do! The whole time I'm slammed down on my car horn!

Right, I know we've said this before, but these kind of videos are not intended to be similar to the way you'll play the content with your guild. Characters typically cannot die or take damage due to the need to stop and explain things, take questions, show vistas, discuss systems, etc. Some press outlets, blogs, and web sites offer this video to the public for consumption, to see the cool stuff. They're not showing it to prove to you how uber they are. Neither are the devs who are behind the keyboards.

Think of this as the difference between driving down the highway and going to a classic car parade. You don't look at the parade and say, "Man, these drivers suck! They're only going 15 miles per hour! I could totally drive faster than that."
    OK Firstly as pretty much everyone on these forums knows by now...I am in no way Uber and I've made no bones of my dislike of Elitism in this game.

BUT:

You don't compare DDO to a Classic Car Parade!!!
    You just don't!

The comparison I think you should be looking for is with a Pre-Season Friendly {they have those in Gridiron don't they!}.

You want to show Gamers {cos that's who's going to these sites} the Playability of this game {not the Looks!}.
    JUST without the Party Wipes!

Look - I've got nothing against the No Death thing - But when it's made obvious by the fact that the Player running the Cleric {Morninglord} heals the Rogue{Shadar-Kai} and Himself but doesn't heal the Dragon Knight {who's on less than half his HP at the time AND OUT OF COMBAT!
    When the Dragon Knight {perhaps because he's the guy being shown around} doesn't do anything to get his OWN HP up!
    When the Dragon Knight then goes into a BOSS FIGHT on less than Half his Max HP, Goes down to 17-19 for a few seconds {certainly long enough to have been thrown a SPOT HEAL!} and then to -33! YET DOESN'T DIE!

Well this is Bad!

Added to this...The Sheer Lack of Mobs in the first half of the Video {yes I switched off half way thru} screams LOW DIFFICULTY!
    Hey if you want to show off Normal then fine JUST NOT Casual!

Look...I'm NOT advocating you send the Dev doing this and the Press Playtesters in on Elite!
    I'm just suggesting that to bring people {gamers} into the game you've got to show them the game!

And it is Gamers who are going to be brought in by these videos {PnPers like myself won't even know they're their - You need other methods to bring in those people!}.

FINALLY: You state that your Dev Playtester can't {your words} play and commentate at the same time.
    Well it might be an idea to employ someone who can - There are plenty of people on these forums you could go to {NOT ME Obviously}.
    You're NOT asking them to Zerg Epic Elites!
    You're simply asking them to Show off the Game!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    OK Firstly as pretty much everyone on these forums knows by now...I am in no way Uber and I've made no bones of my dislike of Elitism in this game.

BUT:

You don't compare DDO to a Classic Car Parade!!!
    You just don't!

The comparison I think you should be looking for is with a Pre-Season Friendly {they have those in Gridiron don't they!}.

You want to show Gamers {cos that's who's going to these sites} the Playability of this game {not the Looks!}.
    JUST without the Party Wipes!

Look - I've got nothing against the No Death thing - But when it's made obvious by the fact that the Player running the Cleric {Morninglord} heals the Rogue{Shadar-Kai} and Himself but doesn't heal the Dragon Knight {who's on less than half his HP at the time AND OUT OF COMBAT!
    When the Dragon Knight {perhaps because he's the guy being shown around} doesn't do anything to get his OWN HP up!
    When the Dragon Knight then goes into a BOSS FIGHT on less than Half his Max HP, Goes down to 17-19 for a few seconds {certainly long enough to have been thrown a SPOT HEAL!} and then to -33! YET DOESN'T DIE!

Well this is Bad!

Added to this...The Sheer Lack of Mobs in the first half of the Video {yes I switched off half way thru} screams LOW DIFFICULTY!
    Hey if you want to show off Normal then fine JUST NOT Casual!

Look...I'm NOT advocating you send the Dev doing this and the Press Playtesters in on Elite!
    I'm just suggesting that to bring people {gamers} into the game you've got to show them the game!

And it is Gamers who are going to be brought in by these videos {PnPers like myself won't even know they're their - You need other methods to bring in those people!}.

FINALLY: You state that your Dev Playtester can't {your words} play and commentate at the same time.
    Well it might be an idea to employ someone who can - There are plenty of people on these forums you could go to {NOT ME Obviously}.
    You're NOT asking them to Zerg Epic Elites!
    You're simply asking them to Show off the Game!
    Again, though, you are confusing the purpose of this video. This press tour was not intended to be watched by would-be players of DDO to demonstrate why they should play the game. Rather, it was conducted to explain the new content and systems to members of the press. That it was later made available to members of the public is nice, in that it allows folks to see the vistas and get a sneak peek at what they will be seeing when the expansion is released, but it would not be accurate to say this video was aimed at being a standalone promotional tool for public consumption.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

it would not be accurate to say this video was aimed at being a standalone promotional tool for public consumption.
    Would you guys ever consider making such a video?

sooooo, when are the dev's coming out with a vid showcasing their mad crazy DDO playing skills then?

Community Member

Maybe we need to go to Lam to see their kung-fu.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

So, after reading the thread and watching the video, I had to give my input on what I thought of the Shadowfell Conspiracy preview. I kept in mind while watching the video the things Cordovan posted, about how it's not supposed to be the Devs showing off their uberness (which they weren't...well except for maybe that one guy that fought on at -33 HP )

Pros:
    - I liked the general look of the area. Looks alot more like a "medieval fantasy" setting than Stormreach.

- The flying Gargoyles were cool. Left me wondering if they can be brought down by ranged attacks while in flight, or if we'l have to wait till they land to engage them.

- I really liked the look of the Sewers or Drainage Culverts.

- The Nightcrawler! That thing was pretty awesome.

Cons:
    - This was actually mentioned in the video, but I noticed it before whoever it was that asked about it: So this Shadar-Kai leader guy takes a Magistrate captive...."He's a prisoner, he doesn't have nice things"...Well, he's got a pretty frickin nice sword, for a prisoner!! What kinda moron would take someone as a prisoner and let them keep a sword??

- No music. Dont they know music is a major part of DDO? I mean...when you're in a quest...and music starts playing, even if you can't see the badguys...you know its time to fight. But..."it will be put in Soon(tm)!" (actually that was kinda funny to hear)

So, overall, it looked pretty nice. Looks like alot more work is going into producing the graphics for newer content especially. OR they were playing on computers way better than mine and had the Graphics settings on hyperdrive.

Guess I better go about finally ordering the MoTU expansion so I can get in on this whole Shadowfell thing when it comes out. (Still kinda wondering what happened to the whole "VIPS get all content free" thing though).
    Last edited by Philibusta; 07-19-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typocheck
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Again, though, you are confusing the purpose of this video. This press tour was not intended to be watched by would-be players of DDO to demonstrate why they should play the game. Rather, it was conducted to explain the new content and systems to members of the press. That it was later made available to members of the public is nice, in that it allows folks to see the vistas and get a sneak peek at what they will be seeing when the expansion is released, but it would not be accurate to say this video was aimed at being a standalone promotional tool for public consumption.
    I am truly sorry to keep harping on at you Cordovan BUT:

Aren't the Press supposed to be sending people who KNOW about Computer Games/MMOs to try out Computer Games/MMOs?

Are you sure you're not Under-estimating the Members of the Press here?

Wouldn't it be better to give them a REAL taste of the game?

BTW I really think that they should SEE the UI!
    Yes it gets in the way of the screen BUT so few people are able to play this game without the UI that it's a bit of a cheat to remove it entirely from the Vid!

I'm not saying to put up 10 Bars - All full of Clickies etc.
    BUT 4 Bars with the main stuff on them shouldn't be an issue surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Azithoth View Post
    sooooo, when are the dev's coming out with a vid showcasing their mad crazy DDO playing skills then?
    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Would you guys ever consider making such a video?
    Oh dear...I think I've inadvertently applied a Banana skin for you to step on here.

Again I'm truly sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    BTW I really think that they should SEE the UI!
    Yes it gets in the way of the screen BUT so few people are able to play this game without the UI that it's a bit of a cheat to remove it entirely from the Vid!

I'm not saying to put up 10 Bars - All full of Clickies etc.
    BUT 4 Bars with the main stuff on them shouldn't be an issue surely?
    Well, to be fair, I only keep 2 bars on my screen, and could play just fine without them visible. They're mainly for visual reference, showing cooldowns and clickie charges left. I don't actually use the mouse to click them except for shrine-swap gear changes.

You know, it would be AWESOME to see an all-dev party run some epic elite quests. I would love to see how they do things with their own characters, and what kind of party makeup they have...

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    You know, it would be AWESOME to see an all-dev party run some epic elite quests. I would love to see how they do things with their own characters, and what kind of party makeup they have...
    I'm betting they go heavy on the rogue I mean rouge and eyeShadows.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12