Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post
    I just FoD/CoD/WoB/PWK them
    The best way to CC mobs is to put them into death stance, which is a permanent CC

In EE runs need to Energy Drain before instakill.
    In EE GH runs need double Energy Drain for instakill to work reliably.

Another option: just Boulder Toss them (which also have a chance to CC)

If not CC/DC built then go Shiradi.
    Boulder Toss knockdown has never worked, so the chance to CC them with it is nil. But if you are force based, you can crush many to death.

Stinking Cloud comes to mind as a way of preventing a group of them from attacking at very early levels.

Two overlooked spells that are effective against spiders because they do have a low Will save

Both are AOE
    Level 1 Sleep
    Level 2 Deep Slumber

While they don't harm creatures, these spells have the bonus that they don't open up Damage bonus for being disabled. This is good in quests like "Let Sleeping Dust Lie" where you want to avoid killing spiders.

Another I recommend for Single Target is Power Word Stun.

I use mostly symbol of stunning. Doesn't last much, and has a long refresh time, so got to be smart about it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hirosue View Post
    Amazing that no one has suggested " Flesh to Stone" spell yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    I did
    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Naturally, if you can cast Flesh to Stone, that's even better than waiting for a guard proc.
    I did too

Community Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    i'm having problem with the regular spiders, not the fiendish ones that can be danced. How to cc them using arcane spells.
    I know Electric Loop does. I had buffed my evocation temporarily at 61dc and the EE High Road spiders every spider was evading except on a 1. Once I saw that I tr'ed and and have never levelled beyond 22 again. Just ridiculous. Until they sort it out I'm done with these stupid epics.

Community Member

Haven't specifically checked, and may not be relevant to the OP, but my guess is both tactical detonation and prismatic strike (artificer) will work.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    i'm having problem with the regular spiders, not the fiendish ones that can be danced. How to cc them using arcane spells.
    Been awhil esince I played a low level arcane.. we have new splls now that did not exist back then....

Here's what does not work. Just about any enchantment.

Web...

Things that do work are spells that stun.... without looking at the spell ldesrpitons, I think sonic blast has a stun effect. Electric Loop does...

at higher levels, Symbol of stunning and Greater Shout...

Look at things like that....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Crowd control regular non-intelligent vermins?

It cannot be an enchantment type of spell, since all those are using the mind and vermins don't have enough intelligence to dance or understand your humor.

Since they are spiders, they cannot be webbed as well.

Perhaps, try a fortitude based or reflex saved based spell? Like Greater Shout? Flesh to Stone? Electric Loop? (has a stunning effect)
    Prismatic Spray? (If you don't mind killing a few spiders in the process)

Stunning Fist, Stunning Blow should also work if you're a monk type.
    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    AFAICT spiders have really low fort saves. I know my melee sorc was always seeing them get statued from the Stone Prison Guard effect on Rock Boots, noticeably more often than other mob classes. Naturally, if you can cast Flesh to Stone, that's even better than waiting for a guard proc.

So anything with Fort saves (which I think includes most stun/daze effects) should prove equally effective. Or, conversely, get yourself a pair of Rock Boots, even the L4 versions have a Stone Prison Guard that should help neutralize those spiders once they start attacking, and its a nice boost for your Acid spells too
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirosue View Post
    Amazing that no one has suggested " Flesh to Stone" spell yet.

it works great
    Yay for reading the the thread BEFORE you post.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Haven't specifically checked, and may not be relevant to the OP, but my guess is both tactical detonation and prismatic strike (artificer) will work.
    Spiders have really high Reflex saves IIRC. Tac Det is pure reflex, and Pris Strike can be any of the 3 saves, though the Fort save is for a Trip effect, and with 8 legs they are extremely resistant to Trip effects despite the low Fort save.

But then again Artis aren't really built for CC, anyway...the Arti answer to Spiders is a paralyzing repeater. Spiders tend to go green and bubbly real easy, guess they have low Will saves too.

Standard spiders are immune to sleep, deep slumber, and hypno. They are also immune to hypnotic pattern and fear. Posts to use those on standard spiders might be coming from a misconception on the question.

Spiders can be stunned or dazed so sonic blast, sound burst (bard version is arcane :P), symbol of stunning, electric loop, and greater shout work for those effects.

Other spells that can work would be sleet storm, cyclonic blast, stinking cloud, flesh to stone, prismatic ray/spray, prismatic strike, tactical detonation.

Those should give you a few options. If you can't find something you like in those options use grease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Community Member

From the Wiki:

Spiders have good Fort and Reflex saves, low will saves. And are mindless. Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

Worst part is.. They make those creepy little noises and jump on you, looking all crawly.... Gross things.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I'm thinking since its easy to kill spiders we're talking about Let Sleeping Dust Lie. There are a lot of good hints on how to get through that quest in the DDO Wiki:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Let_Sleeping_Dust_Lie
    Don't even bother with CC! just nuke your way through with acid spells, the spiders are immune
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Standard spiders are immune to sleep, deep slumber, and hypno. They are also immune to hypnotic pattern and fear.
    Also, I'm pretty sure they are immune to web, even though it's not THEIR web.

Quote Originally Posted by bbcjoke View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure they are immune to web, even though it's not THEIR web.
    I'm pretty sure they are too. I missed that one while trying to respond to some earlier comments without wanting to do any finger pointing and give benefit of the doubt.

A person can also use gust of wind on spiders, or waves of exhaustion, or slow and help out. Stunning them is my preferred approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12