Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Guys what is the most effective arcane spell to cc spiders? Any enchantments?

i'm having problem with the regular spiders, not the fiendish ones that can be danced. How to cc them using arcane spells.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    i'm having problem with the regular spiders, not the fiendish ones that can be danced. How to cc them using arcane spells.
    If you're talking low levels I don't know if there is anything. Charm Monster is a level 4 spell and Hold Monster is a level 5 spell.

Community Member

At low levels, I find a greataxe works best (and yes, I know you said you were a caster)

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    If you're talking low levels I don't know if there is anything. Charm Monster is a level 4 spell and Hold Monster is a level 5 spell.
    don't work, they aren't monsters.

A ranger/druid's hold animal works every well. most of them are mindless and have no save.

Crowd control regular non-intelligent vermins?

It cannot be an enchantment type of spell, since all those are using the mind and vermins don't have enough intelligence to dance or understand your humor.

Since they are spiders, they cannot be webbed as well.

Perhaps, try a fortitude based or reflex saved based spell? Like Greater Shout? Flesh to Stone? Electric Loop? (has a stunning effect)
    Prismatic Spray? (If you don't mind killing a few spiders in the process)

Stunning Fist, Stunning Blow should also work if you're a monk type.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Also, for low levels try Sonic Blast, Shout or Electric Loop.

For Epic Levels and no save CC, you can try Nerve Venom if you have Shiradi level 5 access.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Stun & daze type effects are your best bet... for an arcane, that means the ever-wonderful sonic blast & electric loop most likely
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    At low levels, I find a greataxe works best (and yes, I know you said you were a caster)
    Although you are correct, I didn't give that answer because he specifically asked for an arcane spell

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    don't work, they aren't monsters.

A ranger/druid's hold animal works every well. most of them are mindless and have no save.
    Ok, but he asked for an arcane spell.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Ok, but he asked for an arcane spell.
    Greater shout can stun them, but it's a fort save so you might as well just kill them.

Founder

I'm thinking since its easy to kill spiders we're talking about Let Sleeping Dust Lie. There are a lot of good hints on how to get through that quest in the DDO Wiki:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Let_Sleeping_Dust_Lie

Community Member

AFAICT spiders have really low fort saves. I know my melee sorc was always seeing them get statued from the Stone Prison Guard effect on Rock Boots, noticeably more often than other mob classes. Naturally, if you can cast Flesh to Stone, that's even better than waiting for a guard proc.

So anything with Fort saves (which I think includes most stun/daze effects) should prove equally effective. Or, conversely, get yourself a pair of Rock Boots, even the L4 versions have a Stone Prison Guard that should help neutralize those spiders once they start attacking, and its a nice boost for your Acid spells too

I just FoD/CoD/WoB/PWK them
    The best way to CC mobs is to put them into death stance, which is a permanent CC

In EE runs need to Energy Drain before instakill.
    In EE GH runs need double Energy Drain for instakill to work reliably.

Another option: just Boulder Toss them (which also have a chance to CC)

If not CC/DC built then go Shiradi.

Nerve venom

if in heroic I think the only thing that would work would be something like greater shout or maybe symbol of stunning, but in heroic you really don't need it.

Community Member

Ok fort based spells. Im lv 14 atm working on an archmage rogue 18/2 project for the purpose of running epic elites with friends and pugs.

Thanks for the help guys!

I know for a fact that Hold Monster works on fiendish spiders (use it all the time on Servants of the Reallybored), and disco balls work on many spiders.

After that, it is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

Amazing that no one has suggested " Flesh to Stone" spell yet.

it works great
    "Player testers have done an excelent job and I really do appreciate the testing done by the players that report the issues which then get ignored ......."

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    I know for a fact that Hold Monster works on fiendish spiders (use it all the time on Servants of the Reallybored), and disco balls work on many spiders.

After that, it is anyone's guess.
    Leave it to me to not notice the "fiendish spiders" exclusion in the OP...

Duh!

I'm surprised nobody has said Hypnotism. I'm pretty sure that works on spiders, and its a lvl 1 spell.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by Hirosue View Post
    Amazing that no one has suggested " Flesh to Stone" spell yet.

it works great
    I did: See the bold face part?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    [...]

Perhaps, try a fortitude based or reflex saved based spell? Like Greater Shout? Flesh to Stone? Electric Loop? (has a stunning effect)
    Prismatic Spray? (If you don't mind killing a few spiders in the process)

[..]

The only draw back is Flesh to Stone is single target. I would have prefer AoE spells if there are lots of spiders... I think Greater Shout and Symbol of Stunning works best here.

Symbol of Stunning is great, but took too long to cast. Its good if you know where your spiders are going to be, or you are going to kite the spiders in to the trap.

Problem with Greater Shout is that the stun period is only 6 seconds, sometimes far too short for not so adequate DPS party to DPS whatever they need to DPS down. May require multiple casts...
    Last edited by Tyrande; 07-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast