Community Member

Default Why no Dwarven God?

Clerics, Favored Souls, and Paladins have access to one of five deities that grant deity specific bonuses. Three of these deities, however, are race specific: Lord of Blades for Warforged, Undying Court for Elves, and Vulkoor for Drow. Only two are race neutral: Sovereign Host and Silver Flame. These, however, seem to be predominantly human deities because most, if not all, of their in-game representatives are humans. Half-elves has access to either their elven heritage or their human heritage for enhancements and deity.

That leaves us with three races remaining: half-orcs, halflings, and dwarves. I am not overly concerned about either half-orcs or halflings. Half-orcs are of little concern because, within my recollection of DnD lore, I cannot remember a non-evil orcish deity, and allowing an evil orcish deity would be potentially problematic within the current ddo alignment restrictions (wouldn't it be odd to see a lawful good, half-orc cleric following a chaotic evil god). Nor can i remember any halfling-specific deity. Halflings, rather, always seemed to live in or within close proximity to humans and were more likely to simply follow a human deity.

There was, however, always a dwarven deity. So, why is a dwarven deity lacking in DDO? Is there any possibility of adding one for clerics, favored souls, and paladins in the (near) future?

(The introduction of a dwarven deity could be paired well with a forgotten realms quest pack or expansion: An ancient red dragon is gathering his forces to seize control of the breach between ebberon and the forgotten realms; the dwarves were the first to respond; join them in beseeching the assistance of the metallic dragons and defeating the red dragon's draconic armada. Just a thought.)

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Knowing Turbine, dwarven god would have sickle as a favored weapon, or a handaxe at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

There is a dwarven god. His name is Onatar, and he's part of the Sovereign Host. Of course, his followers aren't exclusively dwarves, nor do dwarves only worship him. But then again, if that bothers you, perhaps Eberron isn't the setting you're looking for.

And on that note, one of the iconics automatically follows a FR deity, so I see no reason they can't expand the list with FR deities, now that it'd actually make sense to do so.
    Rognac / Oesel / Zaegroenhali / Maloich / Eriaolys / Voidmind / Pastacide / Orangewing / Veraya / Sisutu / Peletis / Lacrimis / Clipped / Somniloquy / Hypnagogic / Othafa

Khyber / The Hand of the Black Tower

There's no Dwarven God because Dwarves are Goddless little gorms at the best of times.

Sure there are Dwarven Favored Souls and Clerics but they get their magic from "magic mushrooms" that only grow on a toxic compost blend of Dwarven **** and mead.

So away with you little Heathen.... AWAY!

Here is some more info for you on deities in the Eberron setting. Hope this helps!

I doubt it, but perhaps with the obnoxious blending of Forgotten Realms and Eberron that Turbine decided was best, we'll see Forgotten Realms deities come on to the scene.
    Last edited by enochiancub; 07-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Default Because

Short people got no reason
    To live

They got little hands
    Little eyes
    They walk around
    Tellin' great big lies
    They got little noses
    And tiny little teeth
    They wear platform shoes
    On their nasty little feet

=P

Had to, sorry

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Tongue in cheek answer:

Because it's BEER! And we all know crazy parents incapable of raising their own children will freak out and stop paying the subs and sue if we glorify BEER even though that is what the dwarves really kinda do worship....and I hate the taste of excessively...lol
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Cool Dwarves! Y U NO WORSHIP DEITY?

Because dwarves are so friggin awesome, deities worship them!

Dwarves have a lot of gods...

Ho'ray Die Munds; The goddess of gems

Ey' lurve Ro'ques; The master of the mines in the mountains.

Durh'unk Aldey: The Meister of Jaegers.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Thor was to drunk to answer the Dwarven calls when they were coding in the Gods. He'll regret it someday I'm sure.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Thor was to drunk to answer the Dwarven calls when they were coding in the Gods. He'll regret it someday I'm sure.
    Thor has nothing to do with it, besides according to the norse Dvergar (dwarves) is used interchangably with Svartálfar (Dark Elves) So all dwarves are actually Drow.

Other than the drow comment this information is based on the Eddas.

Quote Originally Posted by Leistes View Post
    There was, however, always a dwarven deity. So, why is a dwarven deity lacking in DDO? Is there any possibility of adding one for clerics, favored souls, and paladins in the (near) future?
    Because Eberron has no major Dwarven faith, the way that it has uniquely Elven, Drow, or War Forged faiths. And the inclusion of the Better-off-Forgotten Realms was bad enough without also bringing in their bland and generic deities.

The Enhancement Pass would have been the perfect time to make Cleric's, Favored Soul's, and Paladin's choice of Faith a more important aspect of the character, with some form of Domains being implemented. But since Turbine has decided to forgo that route, it seems unlikely that such things are in the cards for them.

Quote Originally Posted by THOTHdha View Post
    Because Eberron has no major Dwarven faith, the way that it has uniquely Elven, Drow, or War Forged faiths. And the inclusion of the Better-off-Forgotten Realms was bad enough without also bringing in their bland and generic deities.
    Technically, Vulkoor is not a major deity in Eberron. Most scholars take him as an aspect of The Mockery. I believe he was added just because we are in drow land (Xen'drik).

I would totally love if we had the option to choose any member of the Host as our main deity.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Thor has nothing to do with it...
    That was probably an Order of the Stick reference, that party's cleric is a dwarf who worships Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate-keeper View Post
    That was probably an Order of the Stick reference, that party's cleric is a dwarf who worships Thor.
    Ah missed it, I've only read a couple of those and while I keep meaning to look it up and read more as the couple I've read were funny, I keep forgetting to do so.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Tongue in cheek answer:

Because it's BEER! And we all know crazy parents incapable of raising their own children will freak out and stop paying the subs and sue if we glorify BEER even though that is what the dwarves really kinda do worship....and I hate the taste of excessively...lol