Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Random effect on Named loot: NO.

For the ones who missed it from the picturs showed by Squeak, read at the end of his post:

Prisoner's manacles:

Epic Elite
    Incite +30%
    Reinforced Fists
    Random Effect
    Empty Green Augment Slot
    Empty Colorless Augment Slot

Fell shiv:

Epic Elite
    +4 Enhancement Bonus
    Greater Vorpal
    Random Effect
    Empty Red Augment Slot

Stolen necklace:

Epic Elite
    Charisma +10
    Random Effect
    Empty Yellow Augment Slot

Prison break:

Epic Elite
    +7 Enhancement Bonus
    Random Effect
    Random Effect
    Empty Red Augment Slot

Skullduggery kit:

Epic Elite
    Intelligence Skills – Exceptional Bonus +6
    Dexterity Skills – Exceptional Bonus +6
    Random Effect
    Empty Green Augment Slot

I see EVERY PIECE OF NAMED LOOT have 1 or EVEN TWO "Random effect" on it.

Developers, this is a plea from your players, because I'm sure I'm not the only one:

WE DO NOT WANT RANDOM EFFECTS ON NAMED LOOT. WE DO NOT LIKE TO PLAY THE LOTTERY, SPECIALLY ON EPIC ELITE QUESTS.

You know why noone bothers with ES Challenges? BECAUSE THE LOOT RANDOMIZED SUCKS. We have made this very clear when Eveningstar challenges came up. Now, you have the guts to put randomized effects on EE NAMED LOOT.

There is still time. Whoever is in charge of these items (Feather_of_Sun, I've no doubt he is in charge of items) needs to step up and say "Sorry, I will try to come up with something better and without random effects" because apparently he didn't get the memo why noone ever bothers with ES challenges.

Just to make it clear, maybe it is not so clear from this post:

PLAYERS DO NOT WANT RANDOM EFFECTS ON NAMED LOOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

Scholar of Treasure Dragon.Star's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    For the ones who missed it from the picturs showed by Squeak, read at the end of his post:

Prisoner's manacles:

Epic Elite
    Incite +30%
    Reinforced Fists
    Random Effect
    Empty Green Augment Slot
    Empty Colorless Augment Slot

Fell shiv:

Epic Elite
    +4 Enhancement Bonus
    Greater Vorpal
    Random Effect
    Empty Red Augment Slot

Stolen necklace:

Epic Elite
    Charisma +10
    Random Effect
    Empty Yellow Augment Slot

Prison break:

Epic Elite
    +7 Enhancement Bonus
    Random Effect
    Random Effect
    Empty Red Augment Slot

Skullduggery kit:

Epic Elite
    Intelligence Skills – Exceptional Bonus +6
    Dexterity Skills – Exceptional Bonus +6
    Random Effect
    Empty Green Augment Slot

I see EVERY PIECE OF NAMED LOOT have 1 or EVEN TWO "Random effect" on it.

Developers, this is a plea from your players, because I'm sure I'm not the only one:

WE DO NOT WANT RANDOM EFFECTS ON NAMED LOOT. WE DO NOT LIKE TO PLAY THE LOTTERY, SPECIALLY ON EPIC ELITE QUESTS.

You know why noone bothers with ES Challenges? BECAUSE THE LOOT RANDOMIZED SUCKS. We have made this very clear when Eveningstar challenges came up. Now, you have the guts to put randomized effects on EE NAMED LOOT.

There is still time. Whoever is in charge of these items (Feather_of_Sun, I've no doubt he is in charge of items) needs to step up and say "Sorry, I will try to come up with something better and without random effects" because apparently he didn't get the memo why noone ever bothers with ES challenges.

Just to make it clear, maybe it is not so clear from this post:

PLAYERS DO NOT WANT RANDOM EFFECTS ON NAMED LOOT.
    While having random effects on an item can be grindy and luck at times. I love the mechanic.

Who doesn't like the GH items that gave different stats to the helms and Goggles and other gear that is useful. At least with some randomness, the item doesn't get pigeon holed into 1 class/build only. (ex how may people would go after Blue dragon helm if it only provided +8 wisdom?).

This is just an opinion from some one that does like Random Effects, so obviously not all players dislike it.
    Guild: Ghallanda Rerolled
    Artamax - Cleandeath - Cleanup - Dragonbound - Draykon - Gully - Magestic - Tinbucket
    DDO Character Planner (Stable: Version 04.20.02) , Version 04.23.1 - Planner 5.0 Interface Discussion

People who plan their gear setups don't like random effects.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon.Star View Post
    While having random effects on an item can be grindy and luck at times. I love the mechanic.

Who doesn't like the GH items that gave different stats to the helms and Goggles and other gear that is useful. At least with some randomness, the item doesn't get pigeon holed into 1 class/build only. (ex how may people would go after Blue dragon helm if it only provided +8 wisdom?).

This is just an opinion from some one that does like Random Effects, so obviously not all players dislike it.
    The mechanic is stupid. Just curious: do you grind ES challenges to have the uber combination of stats? Please don't answer yes, I know it would be a lie

GH Helms/Goggles are a different thing from these items. Here looks like you can have all sort of things on them. You don't see a blue helm with 1 PRR on it. Why would they let holy IV to be on EE item? Why AC on a caster necklace? It does NOT make any sense.

Helm and goggles can only have the stat different, to appeal different needs for a character. Here we are playing the lottery.

Also, there is no need to quote the entire OP to reply.

*maybe

Scholar of Treasure Dragon.Star's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    People who plan their gear setups don't like random effects.
    A plan my gear layouts a ton, ask anyone from my guild, I'm constantly recalculating gear layout. I don't exlude random items when doing that. I decide what fits my build and play style and try and go after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    The mechanic is stupid. Just curious: do you grind ES challenges to have the uber combination of stats? Please don't answer yes, I know it would be a lie

GH Helms/Goggles are a different thing from these items. Here looks like you can have all sort of things on them. You don't see a blue helm with 1 PRR on it. Why would they let holy IV to be on EE item? Why AC on a caster necklace? It does NOT make any sense.

Helm and goggles can only have the stat different, to appeal different needs for a character. Here we are playing the lottery.

Also, there is no need to quote the entire OP to reply.
    Yes I farmed ES Challenges for the Cloaks for several of my toons (hated it but did it). As for the random items from there, never saw any real benefit from them at all for my toons.

as for quoting the whole OP post, that is my choice, not yours.
    Guild: Ghallanda Rerolled
    Artamax - Cleandeath - Cleanup - Dragonbound - Draykon - Gully - Magestic - Tinbucket
    DDO Character Planner (Stable: Version 04.20.02) , Version 04.23.1 - Planner 5.0 Interface Discussion

A plan my gear layouts a ton, ask anyone from my guild, I'm constantly recalculating gear layout. I don't exlude random items when doing that. I decide what fits my build and play style and try and go after it.
    You don't exclude random items? Of course you don't, we haven't any at the moment

Yes I farmed ES Challenges for the Cloaks for several of my toons (hated it but did it). As for the random items from there, never saw any real benefit from them at all for my toons.

as for quoting the whole OP post, that is my choice, not yours.
    Cloaks are not Randomized.

Exactly, you never saw any real benefit from them because there aren't.

Let me be clearer:

You know which kind of loot is there beside named items? Right. RANDOM GENERATED LOOT. We don't need Random effects on NAMED ITEMS. We have them already on Random loot. We don't want Random effects on named items.

If you like playing the lottery, go and farm chests until you get an uber necklace with Charisma +20, AC +30, SP +4000, Deadly XXL.

As for quoting the OP: your choice is to make this thread unread-able. What an awesome person you are

*maybe

Random effects are what lootgen is for.

Did you listen to the feedback from CitW loot with random effects? Grudgingly, yes.

Did you listen to the feedback from Eveningstar Challenge gear? Nope.

Open your eyes and read the text and listen this time. Random effects on named gear is a bad idea. I hate it. Others hate it also. It increases grind in an area that already has a large grind associated with it.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    Random effects are what lootgen is for.

Did you listen to the feedback from CitW loot with random effects? Grudgingly, yes.

Did you listen to the feedback from Eveningstar Challenge gear? Nope.

Open your eyes and read the text and listen this time. Random effects on named gear is a bad idea. I hate it. Others hate it also. It increases grind in an area that already has a large grind associated with it.
    Pretty much this.

*maybe

Community Member

I don't like a lot Random on Named Too.
    I've done the shortsword of evening star only because i liked them a lot, and there was a short number of combination in the random effects. I've never found "holy" and this is very boring for me.

Random effect are quite ok only if they are an extra in a very powerful item.
    But if i find a Charisma +10 Neck (And I play Bards, so I'll search it) will be disappointing after a difficult elite quest, find the a bad random effect, instead of the good one.

At least we can sell exchange and sell this items, the evening star challenge ones are worst.
    But i don't link Random on Named, anyway.

Community Member

I think this has the potential to be a decent mechanic, but only if the "random" enchantment is restricted to one of 5-6 variants that fit thematically with the other enchantments.

For example, maybe the EE skulduggery kit has +10 Int, +10 Dex, +4 Insightful Dex, +4 Insightful Int, and maybe one or two new enchantments.

People accept the randomness on the dragonhelms because each variant is appropriate for a different class/build. No one is looking for a black dragonhelm with illusion or enchantment mastery.

Restrict the possibilities to a small number of thematically appropriate (and appropriately powerful) variants, rather than trash lootgen tables.

Community Member

Remember back when MOTU first came out and absolutely no one liked the random effects on named or turn-in loot. We were told that players absolutely love the randomness of loot, even though there was not a single positive piece of feedback in the forums. Well, I think we just found the two people that the Devs listen to when it comes to loot.

Hero

JSNTREP!

(just say no to random effects period)

Mindsunder random effect completely failed on the Dream Edge..Nobody wants it, nobody ever wanted it. And pardon the pun in regards to the quest series, the Dream Edge is a nightmare.

The only time I "LIKE" random effects is if I'm given full control over what goes in said random "slot". And pulling an already complete random piece of named treasure does not fit the bill. Using augments or barter UI's to pick an effect is much more to my liking.

Again, why do I feel compelled to give feedback on something that is already in stone.

Sigh...
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

While I personally don't like the random loot effects so much, either, I'm 99% certain it's a trend that's going to stay for the following reasons:

• Random effects make an item accessible to more builds. Imagine how irritating it would be if epic Blue Dragon Helms, for example, only came in Intelligence bonuses. Wizards and artificers would love it, everybody else would feel left out. Similarly, random effects mean that one item effectively becomes several more. This means you have a wider variety of gear for less programming time.
    • Random effects mean that people will take longer grinding out their gear. This may be the most aggravating reason, but it makes a very pragmatic kind of sense: the longer it takes people to grind gear, the longer they continue to play the quests where it drops. I keep hearing time and again from people in-game that they don't feel much reason to run Gianthold anymore is because they already have the loot that they want, and many complain that the devs made it too easy to get top tier end-game loot by shifting from epic crafting to difficulty-based treasure. Gianthold loot tended to have somewhat fewer random aspects than MOTU, and that probably contributed to the speed at which people farmed it out.

Now, you can argue all you want about how much you don't like the above reasons from a player's perspective, but they're damned compelling from a development perspective. Especially now that the game is getting a lot less dev time since so much of the team has been shifted over to Turbine's new MMO.
    Last edited by dejafu; 07-13-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

If there is going to be random effects and that can not be changed at this stage at least make the drop rate on these items in the 20-50% range (and not replace random loot).

This way if somehting useful does drop people will be likley to hand it off in the chest to somone who would make better use of it.

Kambuk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    [*]Random effects mean that people will take longer grinding out their gear. This may be the most aggravating reason, but it makes a very pragmatic kind of sense: the longer it takes people to grind gear, the longer they continue to play the quests where it drops. I keep hearing time and again from people in-game that they don't feel much reason to run Gianthold anymore is because they already have the loot that they want, and many complain that the devs made it too easy to get top tier end-game loot by shifting from epic crafting to difficulty-based treasure. Gianthold loot tended to have somewhat fewer random aspects than MOTU, and that probably contributed to the speed at which people farmed it out.
    Do you really think people are going to want to grind random gear while leveling up to cap or leveling out EDs when there is going to be a 30% repeat penalty added? Random effects on gear was a bad idea before the new XP change... It's downright sadistic on the devs part and masochist on the players part with these new draconian XP penalities.

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    While I personally don't like the random loot effects so much, either, I'm 99% certain it's a trend that's going to stay for the following reasons:

• Random effects make an item accessible to more builds. Imagine how irritating it would be if epic Blue Dragon Helms, for example, only came in Intelligence bonuses. Wizards and artificers would love it, everybody else would feel left out. Similarly, random effects mean that one item effectively becomes several more. This means you have a wider variety of gear for less programming time.
    • Random effects mean that people will take longer grinding out their gear. This may be the most aggravating reason, but it makes a very pragmatic kind of sense: the longer it takes people to grind gear, the longer they continue to play the quests where it drops. I keep hearing time and again from people in-game that they don't feel much reason to run Gianthold anymore is because they already have the loot that they want, and many complain that the devs made it too easy to get top tier end-game loot by shifting from epic crafting to difficulty-based treasure. Gianthold loot tended to have somewhat fewer random aspects than MOTU, and that probably contributed to the speed at which people farmed it out.

Now, you can argue all you want about how much you don't like the above reasons from a player's perspective, but they're damned compelling from a development perspective. Especially now that the game is getting a lot less dev time since so much of the team has been shifted over to Turbine's new MMO.
    People will take longer grinding? Lol. People won't even bother with Random effects on Named items. I will probably farm a +10 Cha item and +5 Evo focus and that's it. I'm not going to bother to farm a super named item with +10 Cha, +5 Evo, + 280 SP, + Jesus Christ.

My rogue is not going to farm that dagger till I get Holy XX, Deadly XX and Force XX. I will keep my agonies thanks.

*maybe

At least I don't need to stop farming my ideal set on live until the expansion, looks like I'm almost done my level 28 set at 25 already.

\o/

Random effect items are just more items I can gloss over and will refuse to grind for.

The main reason I don't run eveningstar challenges though isn't the random, it's the BTC ings. I'd make more cloaks if the ingredients were BTA, but I'd still skip over the weapons.

Community Member

I quite like random gen effects on items.

In response to the references to the random gen effects in the ES challenges, thats not a fair relation because random gen weapons have never been up to par with the specific named weapons because on weapons you only ever want 1 thing from them - damage.

Everywhere else I like the random mechanic.

I would say that its important to have restrictions though - they have to be randomized only among like type effects. You cant have a chance to get a stat or a chance to get vertigo.

Because basic effects like stats and damage and such are so wide spread in use but specific effects like boosts are much more build specific it means that compared to more specialized effects, the basic ones would be too valuable.

So break them down into pools of effect types and make each slot a specific type.

E.g.
    Stats
    Things like Deathblock, true seeing, blurry, other special effects like that.
    combat DC types
    etc.
    Vlyxnol / Ragedx / Marphist - Completionist of Legit
    "As a tank I feel that plate armor is necessary for my survivability but I also feel that other players need to see my belly button."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast