Community Member robinrochester's Avatar

Default How many times do you try to log in?

Logging in for the last month or two has been downright painful. As a rule I give it 3 shots, and then i move on to play something else. Soon it will be 2, then 1 and then not at all. This may take another month, or two, but eventually me and my monthly subscription will move on.

I've been with DDO since beta. I was a founding member of Mabar. I've been through a lot of rough patches with the game. I still think it is one of the best out there, and an under-appreciated game. However, very basic things (like being able to log in!) should be fixed.

I am not alone in this issue, I have lost an entire guild within the last few months. Unhappy with this or that, this bug or that design choice... my question is simple, how many times do you try to get in before saying it's time to move to something else?
    Mabar:
    Vulcanis Drave Dwarven Paladin (14)
    Filus 96 Warforged Rogue (11)/Ranger (3)
    Miscarand Shadewhisper Drow Bard (9)/Fighter (2)
    Vexeren Twelve Toes Drow Sorceror (13)
    Serenin of THe Order of Boldrei Cleric (9)
    Monk Initiate of the Scorpion God Drow "Monk" 10

Argonessen:

Bylsma 96 Warforged Rogue 3
    Artificer of Cannith East Wizard 3
    Krakatoa the Mad Slasher Dwarf Fighter 6

well I havn't logged on in... im thinking a month or so now, but before that it was usually twice in order to stay. First log was always a red latency box, so I'd kill the process then relog back to working order.

Now if I crashed thats a whole other crappy matter. Your looking at a forced wait log, followed by a haha screw you red box and then possibly a secondary crash box, before you could successfully log in and move and speak.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    well I havn't logged on in... im thinking a month or so now, but before that it was usually twice in order to stay. First log was always a red latency box, so I'd kill the process then relog back to working order.

Now if I crashed thats a whole other crappy matter. Your looking at a forced wait log, followed by a haha screw you red box and then possibly a secondary crash box, before you could successfully log in and move and speak.
    I have had no problems logging in at all. The person I mainly play with usually has to log in twice though, first time DoA, second time logs in fine.
    Ainur Wer'lak Thelanis

Community Member

Im loggin in at first try, sometimes on agronessen twice due to latency (but i have very bad net connection and it have something with microsoft.net files).

Community Member

I get in on the first try every time. I do have an old laptop I take with me on the road and I usually time-out on my first try and then am always successful on the second try. I bring this machine with me when I want something really small.

It's clearly because it's an old cheap laptop and a subpar wireless connection.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

If I am not able to log in due to a launcher error, I stop and research the problem in the tech forums and the support knowledge base.

If I am not able to log in because of a "world queue" error or somesuch, I check for DDO down in forums.

I use DDO preloader to avoid first-time-disconnect-next-time-succeed problems.

I almost never have any problems at all logging in.

If you continue to have problems actually getting into the game, I'd stop and research them. If you have problems after getting in the game such as disconnects, etc., I'd use a preloader.

I've never had a problem logging on (except when the worlds or login servers are down for everyone of course).

But in the last few months, loading the game for my characters would take a good minute or so.

So last weekend, I upgraded to a SSD and 12 GB of RAM... Now my character log-ins take 10 seconds.

Part of that is SSD, part of that is brand new fresh install.

I'm not saying that's a good solution for everyone. Just a data point that a brand new install works pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Four year old computer, first time EVERY time. Using a firewall.

One year old computer, no firewall enabled. Most of the time it is two minutes to log in sometimes it fails. Maybe I should look at the disabled firewall to see if it is a problem.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    So last weekend, I upgraded to a SSD and 12 GB of RAM... Now my character log-ins take 10 seconds.
    I had a similar experience when I went to an SSD. Really though it would be nice to have additional info regarding those who are having trouble. Namely their general location, system specs, ISP, etc. This doesn't sound like something Turbine themselves are capable of fixing. It sounds like connectivity issues.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 07-17-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Twice every time, used to be only when I first start the pc, now its after every break I take, if I play another game have to log in twice because of first login dc.

I actually never "try" to login.

I just open DDO and login. The only time I have ever had issues is when there were server issues.

Now having a SSD Harddrive is going to be a fair bit of that I don't doubt so that may be the issue. I also perform routine system maintenance on the drive. Now before I had the SSD drive I found I needed to wipe and reinstall DDO about once a year to keep the load times reasonable but even then I didn't fail the login.

Just lucky I guess.

Community Member

Twice...everytime.

The first time is painfully slow to load and requires a ctrl/alt/del and task manager to shut down.

The second load is relatively quick.

Oh, and also, I'm still getting 8 of the Awesomesauce programs running everytime I start the gamer up...I also shut them all down everytime I want to play.

This game is becoming quite a hassle to play.

I've never tried to log in, I just log in. Works the first time every time.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    If you continue to have problems actually getting into the game, I'd stop and research them. If you have problems after getting in the game such as disconnects, etc., I'd use a preloader.
    I have about a 50/50 shot of getting a red connect box on my first login, with or without the preloader. I am usually ok if I am just letting DDO go after letting everything on my system load, but if I am doing anything in the background while I wait (such as browsing web pages, streaming music, ect) I will probably get a red or yellow connect.

My system was pretty good in 2010, but now the 4GB of RAM and the mechanical HD probably needs to be updated. Still, I am a bit surprised that DDO would be so demanding on a system that my not unacceptable hardware specs (by 2013 standards) would cause me to not connect.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    I had a similar experience when I went to an SSD. Really though it would be nice to have additional info regarding those who are having trouble. Namely their general location, system specs, ISP, etc. This doesn't sound like something Turbine themselves are capable of fixing. It sounds like connectivity issues.
    It's because SSD can load the game extremely fast.

(Many) HDDs can't load DDO quickly enough, for some reason, causing some sort of error or timeout. Without an SSD, DDO can only launch consistently well if it's been pre-loaded into memory by Windows' Superfetch or a program.

Turbine COULD probably fix this themselves, somehow.

Community Member

I never have a problem.

I have the game loaded three times on my system, in 3 locations.

Standard HD, live
    Standard HD, Lam
    SSD, Live

All three work, without fail, every time...

However....

My brother has to login 2x, ever time, without fail. Even on LAM, after a 100% clean install.

Community Member

However I am getting the visual C pop-up every time I start the launcher as of yesterday. I don't know what that is about, I never got that before.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

I have three desktop PCs that I use on a regular basis for DDO.

One has an SSD and 16 GB of RAM, logs in in seconds.

The other two both use standard hard drives and have 4 GB of RAM, both take about a minute, sometimes two to log in.

None of them require multiple attempts to log in.

All are WIN 7 64 bit OS.

I do know that one guildie has this issue where it takes her twio attempts to log in, however that started at the same time that her ISP provided her with a new router so that may be part of the issue.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.