Default Question for Devs on Tavern Potions and the pendant of time.

Actually 2 questions:

1) Why do you have healing-over-time implementations versus a one shot heal. Is there some particular reason you want people waiting around twiddling their thumbs for 2 minutes healing up.

2) Can we get a re-scaling of the potions to be more in line with what people have sp and hp-wise now at cap. Sort of annoying to have to buy 2 and wait 2 full durations to fully heal up. Specifically many people have a heck of a lot more than 450 hp at cap now and many have more than 2500 sp at cap. It is only going to get worse as you add more levels to cap.

One last unrelated questions - can we please make the phiarlan pendant of time either an instantaneous cast or make it so it does not halve movement speed while casting. It boggles the mind why, when I am casting something in a public area, you are making it a pain in the rear to do so. The best would be a slot for it where the effect was granted without having to do anything when you got out of a quest but that is asking for the world.
    Throw away account for forum use only. I will let you guess who my in-game persona is.

Not that I disagree but...

Spirit Binders can and will cast Heal on you if you ask them to.

Afraid there's nothing you can do about the SP issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumFrenzy View Post
    Actually 2 questions:

1) Why do you have healing-over-time implementations versus a one shot heal. Is there some particular reason you want people waiting around twiddling their thumbs for 2 minutes healing up.

2) Can we get a re-scaling of the potions to be more in line with what people have sp and hp-wise now at cap. Sort of annoying to have to buy 2 and wait 2 full durations to fully heal up. Specifically many people have a heck of a lot more than 450 hp at cap now and many have more than 2500 sp at cap. It is only going to get worse as you add more levels to cap.

One last unrelated questions - can we please make the phiarlan pendant of time either an instantaneous cast or make it so it does not halve movement speed while casting. It boggles the mind why, when I am casting something in a public area, you are making it a pain in the rear to do so. The best would be a slot for it where the effect was granted without having to do anything when you got out of a quest but that is asking for the world.
    1) I'd like to think that it's a "walk of shame" type of deal. You died so you can stand there and think about it for 2 minutes while you fill up. Now it's true that there will be times you need to refill and haven't just died, but it's a relatively small amount.

2) I think if they have to keep the heal over time effects in place, then the highest tier potions need to be much better than they are currently. One potion should heal you to max over the course of it's effect. I'd personally do away with potions and either add a static 1 min timer to top off or just have someone you can talk to that heals you instantly for a price.

3) Make the pendant of time a granted feat that increases your move speed in public areas. It's the cleanest way of doing it. It would remove the option for low level TR's to use the pendant but there's no reason you couldn't just have the pendant as a favor option as well. I'd also make the harper pin into a feat and give a feat option for the eveningstar key
    Last edited by redspecter23; 08-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

The tavern rations working over time makes it interesting to try and race back to an instance if you die while soloing. While I don't remember the last time I needed to do this, my first life was chock full of such races. It's kind of a fun mechanic, IMO.

I do agree they should add higher power ghallanda rations/distillate -- maybe mystical? -- to better serve epic players. They could toss an ML20 on them if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    3) Make the pendant of time a granted feat that increases your move speed in public areas. It's the cleanest way of doing it. It would remove the option for low level TR's to use the pendant but there's no reason you couldn't just have the pendant as a favor option as well. I'd also make the harper pin into a feat and give a feat option for the eveningstar key
    No way! Why do you hate TRs? (hehheh.)

1) I'd like to think that it's a "walk of shame" type of deal. You died so you can stand there and think about it for 2 minutes while you fill up. Now it's true that there will be times you need to refill and haven't just died, but it's a relatively small amount.
    I think the walk of shame is the repair bill you get hit with for dying: right now - repair, multiple sp refill, multiple hp refill, 30% xp penalty or loss of all quest progress, and the re-run to the quest. A bit too much IMO, and an annoying waste of time.
    Throw away account for forum use only. I will let you guess who my in-game persona is.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumFrenzy View Post
    I think the walk of shame is the repair bill you get hit with for dying: right now - repair, multiple sp refill, multiple hp refill. A bit too much IMO, and an annoying waste of time.
    I agree that it's an annoying waste of time. The question is, do the devs feel there is a reason for this annoying waste of time. Is it a "punishment" for dying? Or is it just an out of date system in need of an update but has fallen off the radar because of more important issues currently?

Community Member

Even if the hp/sp restore at taverns fully refilled you instantly some classes would need to wait there a few minutes regardless. One example would be a paladin who used their lay on hands while in the failed quest, or a rogue needing their action boosts back, a bard waiting on song charges, cleric waiting on turns to return.. Unless we have some rest shrines thrown in, though maybe that would better fit on guild airships.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    Even if the hp/sp restore at taverns fully refilled you instantly some classes would need to wait there a few minutes regardless. One example would be a paladin who used their lay on hands while in the failed quest, or a rogue needing their action boosts back, a bard waiting on song charges, cleric waiting on turns to return.. Unless we have some rest shrines thrown in, though maybe that would better fit on guild airships.
    It always brings me back to the question I asked the first time I ran Chronoscope and seeing the rest shrines in the taverns:
    "Why don't taverns normally have rest shrines?"

Seriously, anything wrong with that idea? I mean.... it's an inn (or can be). Even if you charge for it, fine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    It always brings me back to the question I asked the first time I ran Chronoscope and seeing the rest shrines in the taverns:
    "Why don't taverns normally have rest shrines?"

Seriously, anything wrong with that idea? I mean.... it's an inn (or can be). Even if you charge for it, fine.
    Few times i saw a rest shrine at the bank in the harbor, it was always instance one though and never the others. Not too sure why it was there, it was within the last year or so though, but the ability to put them in public places exist.

I agree that adjusting the potions to the current level cap (including the fact that e.g. the vendor on the Isle of Forgotten Dreams is selling low level cure potions which is just laughable) would be nice.

On the other hand there are quite a couple of quests and or outdoor zones that have shrines right at the entrance, e.g. Red Fens, which allow a quick refill without needing to wait.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

I agree that it's an annoying waste of time. The question is, do the devs feel there is a reason for this annoying waste of time. Is it a "punishment" for dying? Or is it just an out of date system in need of an update but has fallen off the radar because of more important issues currently?
    This is a game; it is all a waste of time by definition.

This is D&D. I takes time to run to town and back to quest.

A quick dip in casual Haverdasher's will top you off for both HP and SP (but not repair stuff).

Personally, I adjust other things when I come out of quest, so equipping and invoking the Pendant is the first thing I do. When I get back to swapping my standard trinket back in and running off, the casting motion has been long over.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    This is a game; it is all a waste of time by definition.

This is D&D. I takes time to run to town and back to quest.

A quick dip in casual Haverdasher's will top you off for both HP and SP (but not repair stuff).

Personally, I adjust other things when I come out of quest, so equipping and invoking the Pendant is the first thing I do. When I get back to swapping my standard trinket back in and running off, the casting motion has been long over.
    I'm just saying it's not a totally elegant tavern system. I'd rate it about #253 on the list of priorities right now, but if Turbine were looking for something to polish after all the other bugs are taken care of (theoretical situation, just pretend) then I'd like a better tavern rejuvenation system. There are too many larger issues to be worrying about polish right now, but I'd love for the game to get to a point where issues like this are the most important things that players can find to complain about.

As for your first comment, everything is a time waster by definition. Playing games, sleeping, working, eating. Almost everything takes from our finite pool of time to some degree. By taking good care of yourself you can extend your "time pool" to a certain extent, but at the end of the day, we can all have our time reduced to 0 in a random instant. We all choose how to spend out allotted recreational time even if that is spending 2.5 extra seconds activating a pendant in order to shave 3 seconds off of a run to the next quest.

When I die, I return to bind point in the Twelve. I get something to eat, then I repair and sell. This is usually enough time to get HP up.

As another said, the Tavern healbot can top your HP off faster. In that case, a caster could down a SP drink, repair and sell, then get healed by Spirit Binder. The order in which things are done can speed things up.

And I would <3 for the imaginary moment to happen.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester