Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you get passed 7 being f2p

Hi. I'm thinking on coming back cause I've been playing on a wow private server and idk why I play it cause its pay to win which is just making me mad and I heard about neverwinter which looks good but does it have the features of Edo? Just pure dungeons and that. Ddo is an awesome game just whenever I played I couldn't even touch 10 trying to pay nothing and u can't beat the game is rediculous. I wanna play the game like any other game and get to max at a certain time but to do that f2p u need to make alllllooootttt of chracters. Is it worth it to come back to Ddo or try neverwinter? With spending as least amount of money. Otherwise I'm just gunna go back to dcuo on my ps3 and play on my wow private server. Thanks.
    Turbine Please do the Following and alot of people would come back:
    -Make 1 mega server so at night its still very populated
    -MAKE ALL QUESTS FREE (On Original Game not Expansions so F2p can get to TR3 and be powerful)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar1996 View Post
    Hi. I'm thinking on coming back cause I've been playing on a wow private server and idk why I play it cause its pay to win which is just making me mad and I heard about neverwinter which looks good but does it have the features of Edo? Just pure dungeons and that. Ddo is an awesome game just whenever I played I couldn't even touch 10 trying to pay nothing and u can't beat the game is rediculous. I wanna play the game like any other game and get to max at a certain time but to do that f2p u need to make alllllooootttt of chracters. Is it worth it to come back to Ddo or try neverwinter? With spending as least amount of money. Otherwise I'm just gunna go back to dcuo on my ps3 and play on my wow private server. Thanks.
    I have been F2P since I came back to DDO (I played in the 1st paying version, then got away for professional reasons, then back when it became Unlimited) until MotU (which the breaking point of F2P: you need ED for epics and can hardly get it through only earning TP via favor). You can definitely go higher than level 7 with free content. You can get up to 14-15 approximately. My 1st buy was Vale of Twilight, both for XP and equipment, and it was enough to reach 20. Though, that required to max slayers in the wilderness area. Now, things are a lot easier, because you get level through challenges, which allows you to craft some gear for your character and/or your further TRs. My advice would be to get Gianthold before though, for a smoother leveling, especially because GH now provides a good content for epics.

To get MotU, you can buy it directly, but I think it's better to take a VIP subscription for some months. This way, you will be able to play the VIP content (almost the packs) to see what you like, to collect more favor (favor = TP, and will allow you to unlock Veteran, FvS, etc.), get some gear, etc.

IMO, epic destinies have a higher priority than MotU. It should be your first buy after having reached 20. TRing to earn more TP is another good option as it lets you discover other classes, which is important to know what to expect from your teammates.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

I have a buddy that I group with occasionally that was able to TR on a completely FTP account. Basically earned enough Turbine Points to buy a couple of key packs for XP and worked his way there.

Now on his second life staying FtP was far more brutal on him.

So to answer what I think you are asking. Yes you can play pretty much to cap without spending a dime if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Ok. So you listed pretty much what to buy in exact order? Cause I love Ddo just I never played the board game I just downloaded created and ran. If anyone can list further into what to buy it would be appreciated.
    -MAKE ALL QUESTS FREE (On Original Game not Expansions so F2p can get to TR3 and be powerful)

Also any of u have input on neverwinter

Community Member

I did my first 2 trs (3 lives) free to play, back in the day when tr came out. There were many fewer quests and no xp boosts, so it can be done much easier today than previously

Quote Originally Posted by goldgolem View Post
    I did my first 2 trs (3 lives) free to play, back in the day when tr came out. There were many fewer quests and no xp boosts, so it can be done much easier today than previously
    never winter was fun for me to just play as a single player game, I found the community to be toxic there and people would take advantage of groups often, ie boot everyone else if they where the leader just at the quest completed so they would get all the loot. So worth trying out to play through the story lines as a free single player game? Yes.......worth investing $ and huge ammounts of time into? I would say no.

In DDO i got to level 12 before spending any money. As for packs? gianthold, and maybe vale of twilight, also the motu. You can also farm valuable items then sell em for TP codes.

Reccomend any other packs to buy after or just buy whatever.

Community Member

I never played the board game
    Omg you just have to get the board game. Its like a mix between Risk, Monopoly, Sorry! and Candyland.

It is certainly possible to get to 20 as f2p.

A guildie got to 20 as f2p. He said it was not that hard, but pretty grindy. He did the 100 point favor run on other servers, bough warforged and then played WF sorc and bought Vale of twilight with the points he earned for playing. That let him reach 20 by banking levels and rerunning content to have nothing done in vale when he reached 18 and then got 18-20 there.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvirini View Post
    It is certainly possible to get to 20 as f2p.

A guildie got to 20 as f2p. He said it was not that hard, but pretty grindy. He did the 100 point favor run on other servers, bough warforged and then played WF sorc and bought Vale of twilight with the points he earned for playing. That let him reach 20 by banking levels and rerunning content to have nothing done in vale when he reached 18 and then got 18-20 there.
    Yeah if you want to stay pure F2P its pretty much required that you do the 100 favor run on each server - which isn't actually that bad, you can do each server in about an hour.

GH, Vale, Sands are the big packs to target first. I also like VotA (Cannith pack).

If you're willing to drop a couple bucks, then get the MotU package that includes Epic, Eveningstar, IQ and DD and Carnival and I think one more (if that's still available?). It'll get you all your Premium unlocks too, and its one of the best values for spending real money.

If you want to stay really hardcore F2P, now that multiboxing is easy, you might want to open a second account and run a character up to 20 just to be an opener. You can then go back on your main account, and use your opener to open Elite quests for you so you can farm favor milestones faster.

Well now that Ddo is doing expansions like motu and I think there's another conning out do I need them to be at same standards with other players also for PvP. And another quistion is there 25 man raids or anything like that jw. Also have the made it so melee casters are viable now? Just some coming back and noob quistions. Also do purchases on 1 server go to all servers cause I'm on Khyber and late at like 10pm centrl there is nobody on.

... have the made it so melee casters are viable now? ...
    The answer to your question depends greatly on how you define "viable", but the change to how chance to hit is calculated (and epic destinies) have certainly given them a boost.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Ok. So you listed pretty much what to buy in exact order? Cause I love Ddo just I never played the board game I just downloaded created and ran. If anyone can list further into what to buy it would be appreciated.
    I would say:
    1) Gianthold (when you reach level 13-14)
    2) Vale of Twilight
    3) Epic Destinies (it's not an adventure pack, but it's almost required for epics)
    4) MotU (a lot of content to reach level 25 and farm your EDs)

For challenges, you can get a free token everyday. Take the habit of getting it at the beginning of your play session, to have a reserve when you'll want to play them. They don't have xp penalty from repetition and can get you some nice gear.

With this, you will be fine. If you plan to TR, some more packs would be handy to make it smoother.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Wow this game has a lot to learn! Can ED be bought with TP? Or u have to buy with real money. And I'm gussing from 7-14 is a big grind of the same quest. And also by endgame I will know all of what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    Omg you just have to get the board game. Its like a mix between Risk, Monopoly, Sorry! and Candyland.

There's a DDO board game??

Ummmmm....

Why?
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

I would say that it is an unrealistic goal to go too deep into DDO without paying any money.

There is no such thing as f2p beyond what amounts to free trials. True f2p doesn't work or make sense as a business model, so expect to be one the hook to pay money at some point regardless of how the game is marketed.

Also, if you are looking to grind out Turbine Points in game to pay for packs, etc, you are valuing your time at sweatshop equivalent pay rate

If you can spend any money on the game, the very first purchase should be the MotU Standard Edition for $35. This purchase alone will give you enough content to level all the way to 25. It comes with:

Menace of the Underdark (king's forest, underdark, demonweb)
    Epic Destinies
    Eveningstar challenges
    Druid
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Attack on Stomreach
    Path of Inspiration
    Dreaming Dark
    1000 TP (to be spent on Gianthold)

That's a ton of value for $35; you won't find a better deal short of getting that same deal on sale. The 4 packs that come with it along with the 1000 TP (for gianthold) is what makes it such a win.

In terms of when and what to buy:

1) When your first character hits level 6 or 7, buy MotU. The lowest pack that comes with it (Carnival) is level 5, so you'll start running it at 6 or 7. No need for the purchase before then. Maybe you get lucky and MotU goes on sale between now and then.

2) When your first character hits level 14 spend the 1000 TP you got from MotU on gianthold (950 list price). Gianthold is level 13-14, but you also have Attack on Stormreach (level 13) to get you to 14. The idea here is to hope for a sale on Gianthold between now and you hitting 14. Immediately buy it via the first sale that applies, or just buy it full price when you hit 14.

3) When your first character hits level 16, farm enough favor on other servers (see 100 Favor Dash in signature) to get enough TP to buy Vale of Twilight. You'll likely have ~500 TP left over after you buy gianthold, so the favor farming on other servers will be minimal. (You get 50 TP for the first 5 favor on each server, meaning get to 5 favor like 5 times and you're done.) Be sure to do Wayfinder first.

After you buy MotU, you might consider immediately favor farming other servers to get enough to buy both gianthold and vale at the same time on a 15% off sale. That way you have the biggest window to get both on sale. (I say 15% because that's the discount if you buy both during a "Choose your own discount" sale.) Neither needs to be bought until you hit 14.

This leaves you with plenty of content to comfortably level to 25, farm up some destinies, and even tr into a second life. At this point you'll have a couple hundred TP from favor via regular gameplay, and if you tr you'll generate another 400 favor or so, so you will already be on your way to picking up the next pack.

Essentially you get the following for $35 plus a minimal amount of favor grinding on other servers:

Menace of the Underdark
    Epic Destinies
    Vale of Twilight
    Ruins of Gianthold
    Path of Inspiration
    Dreaming Dark
    Attack on Stormreach
    Phiarlan Carnival
    Druid
    Eveningstar Challenges
    1 Greater Tome of Learning

Community Member

Default Yes

My first toon made it to level 20 as f2p and this was before some of the newest f2p level 15+ quests. I did farm all the servers for favor and bought both necro4 and the vale (both at 50% off).

a few things to remember.

Only spend your turbo points on packs. The Vale is the best for getting to level 20. Gianthold, and Necro 4 can also help. Buy other stuff only after you have enough packs to get to level 20.

You will need to farm the quests a lot.

If you know the quests, the bravery bonus for running elite first helps.

If you have already spent points buying mid-level packs, races, classes, etc. you may want to create another account.

Default Go premium (even if only just)

One thing any "Free" to play user should consider is buying a points bundle - any bundle at all, for the Premium flag. (even the $6 bundle if it still exists).

This unlocks a few things across all servers that are useful:
    * A couple of character slots (not quite so essential now that you also get a slot with the expansion pack(s) but still handy for toying with builds).
    * The ability to sell more stuff on the auction house at the same time.
    * Currency cap is raised to maximum.
    * Maybe other stuff, but I dunno and don't care that much.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast