Thread: Hide and Seek

Default Hide and Seek

So there I was sitting around last night and honestly could not be bothered to start something. Nothing going on in the LFM and nothing I was really interested in running. Thought about heading to the Vale and then figured that nah... it's kinda boring out there unless you bring a couple of friends. Plus I am Premium and running my first toon ever build, so he's a first life Adventurer build to boot. The prospect of three runs to get elite done just wasn't floating my boat.

Then I got thinking about what the hell it was that I used to do to have fun in the downtimes before the game got so boring.

THEN I remembered Harbor hide n seek.

I started up 2 games of it last night.

First was for 5 Major pots all comers allowed. Hid in a somewhat sneaky spot in the water got found in about 10 minutes.

I then got chatting with some guildies, renewed buffs in case something showed up and for giggles ran a Hiding in Plain sight just to get it done incase I went temporarily insane and wanted to head out to the Restless Isles. Low and behold I pulled a +2 Wisdom Tome. Well I have a decent stable of 15 but checking through them all and I find that they have all eaten one at some point.

Figured I could crush it up but decided to run a newb friendly Hide and Seek instead. Tossed it up that no-TR's allowed and managed to get about 1/2 a dozen hunting for me.

They finally found me just hanging out on the roof looking down towards the wayward lobster and Harbour. This one probably took 15+ minutes to get found but finally an alert rogue managed it.

All in all had some good conversations with some new players and honestly was fun watching them run right in front of me never seeing me. The no-TR run in particular generated some interesting conversations mostly centered on "how does this work" and "this is kinda fun people should do it more often".

This got me wondering ... why don't we see this any more? I used to see fun runs/things like this all the time. Hide and Seek a couple times a week, hell even Christmas loot runs (everyone rolls one HAS to take all unnamed treasure from the chests) were on every month or so. I mean when is the last time you saw an "all naked" Tempest Spine or a "bards only" shroud.

Seems to me the community has been fragmented and bashed around over the last year or so and the game has devolved into a fairly rigid XP/Minute hunting ground.

Where did all the fun go??

For my part I am going to try to run a Hide n Seek at least once or twice a week and see if I can't manage to bring a little of that fun back and it might not hurt if some others could give it a shot too!

Community Member

i've had a lot of fun with this in the past too. sometimes i'll join in the hunt even if i dont want the item, i'll then poke the hider and run off before they can open a trade window

the most interesting one was seeing a player who had gone from smack talking in general to giving out freebie to newbies. something must have softened his heart!
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Sounds like fun, I'm gonna try that!

Several times when I've TR'ed, I've joined groups of newbies in Korthos and run with them. I don't just run through the dungeon while they run behind wondering what's going on. I don't give them all kinds of gear, or plat, or even a lot of specific advice, (most of which would be lost on them as they're brand new and taking it all in) It's really kind of fun, and I've met some players that have stuck around and turned out to be pretty decent.

A few friends and I decided several months ago that continuously speeding up the treadmill wasn't really any fun... it was too much like work. So we created a small static group. We started over with 1st level toons and play a couple times a month. We don't metagame at all; no wiki, no auction house, no ship buffs, no past lives, no grinding for gear. We use what we find, and I won't say we're a roleplay group... we don't talk funny and pretend to be our toons, but we do play them like the classes/alignments that they are. We've slowed the game down instead of speeding it up, and it's turned out to be a lot of fun!

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Why don't we see it?

Because with the advent of crafting all of our low level gear has SOME value because of essences.

No longer is our inventory cluttered with junk because we can deconstruct.

I will do my usual Risia Ice Games giveaway in the winter on either Ghallanda or Cannith. One year I did a forum giveaway where I posted the Magic Words on the forums and people had to come read the forums for the words. Portable Holes, Tomes, Adamantine Ore, stuff like that it was mostly a fail as very few in game players read the forums.
    Last edited by moomooprincess; 07-17-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Because with the advent of crafting all of our low level gear has SOME value because of essences.

No longer is our inventory cluttered with junk because we can deconstruct. ...
    Well I don't disagree that they can be deconstructed for essences the number of essences is not exactly overwhelming.

Also while crafting has (had??) it's place, by and large the ran-gen loot people are pulling now is as good or superior. And certainly at the low levels I find I don't spend enough time there to truly need anything crafted. I have a capped human Arty crafter and honestly I have no broken him out in over 3 months now and with 14 other toons I might have 10 pieces of gear crafted that they hand around / use.

Still I am not sure that crafting is the reason, I really do think that while it may play it's part the core reason is that most of the "vets" have either left or fallen into the max XP/Min mentality that just doesn't have time to help out a newb much less a noob. And they certainly don't have time for "the fun". Pounding out that 15th life it's gonna do itself you know! LOL

Still I am going to try to do this at least once a week. Heck yesterday I was trolling for a muckbane (was gonna give it away to the first newb that hit the quest) and instead pulled a +1 Lacerating Bastard Sword from Muck's chest. I did a Hide and Seek (was on top of the leaky dingy) and handed it off to an Adventurer Level 3 Fighter who was going Sword n Board. He was freaking ecstatic and knowing I made his Day and was able to give him some good advice so that he will hopefully stick around was more than worth giving up the 50k plat or so some TR junkie would have paid on the AH. LOL

All in all I really just hope to be a small part in getting the ball rolling back to when this was a community that was mostly helpful people who enjoyed to play.

Awesome thread is awesome.

Thanks, OP, for trying to bring back some of the good ol' "fun" in this game. Running the quests can be fun, sure, but when it's devolved into a "must-do-this-in-the-very-most-optimal-way", XP/min situation, it's more like a job than fun. And after working all day, the last thing alot of us want to do when we log into DDO to relax and have some fun, is worry about our production quota.

I remember the Hide 'n Seek thing from a while back, now that you've reminded me. Used to participate in it more than a little bit, too, on Thelanis (both as the Hider and as a Seeker). But then I took a long break from the game, just got back a month or so ago, and I had forgotten about the stuff like that. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm all in on agreeing to this sort of thing. Hide 'n Seek, whatever, to make the game just plain old fun again, and to help bring us together as a community.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Thanks!

Dear OP,

Thank you for being the change that you want to see in DDO. This game is so awesome!

All the best,

Liv

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Well I don't disagree that they can be deconstructed for essences the number of essences is not exactly overwhelming.

Also while crafting has (had??) it's place, by and large the ran-gen loot people are pulling now is as good or superior. And certainly at the low levels I find I don't spend enough time there to truly need anything crafted. I have a capped human Arty crafter and honestly I have no broken him out in over 3 months now and with 14 other toons I might have 10 pieces of gear crafted that they hand around / use.

Still I am not sure that crafting is the reason, I really do think that while it may play it's part the core reason is that most of the "vets" have either left or fallen into the max XP/Min mentality that just doesn't have time to help out a newb much less a noob. And they certainly don't have time for "the fun". Pounding out that 15th life it's gonna do itself you know! LOL

Still I am going to try to do this at least once a week. Heck yesterday I was trolling for a muckbane (was gonna give it away to the first newb that hit the quest) and instead pulled a +1 Lacerating Bastard Sword from Muck's chest. I did a Hide and Seek (was on top of the leaky dingy) and handed it off to an Adventurer Level 3 Fighter who was going Sword n Board. He was freaking ecstatic and knowing I made his Day and was able to give him some good advice so that he will hopefully stick around was more than worth giving up the 50k plat or so some TR junkie would have paid on the AH. LOL

All in all I really just hope to be a small part in getting the ball rolling back to when this was a community that was mostly helpful people who enjoyed to play.

Thumbs up

I have to agree with Livmo.

I've actually not seen/heard of this before, but I love the concept.

From the sounds of it, things like this haven't been done in some time...was it previously something that happened somewhat regularly on all/many servers or did it usually happen on certain servers only? I can't say I remember seeing things like "bards only" shroud, etc either.

In any event, I think it's an excellent idea and I'm glad to hear that you want to keep it up. Kudos to you.
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

Well I pretty much run exclusively on Thelanis but on that server it used to happen all the time.

My favorite were the raids where one poor bastard had to take all the loot. I tell you that was generally the one loot roll I didn't want to win because it meant you had to empty your inventory before running it LOL. I suppose you could be a cheat and just dump it out of inventory but you did have to atleast get it out of the chest.!

I once ran in an all naked Sorc only Hard Shroud at level (when the cap was still 20 and Shroud was end game) and man it was reasonably tough but still hella fun. Worst part was we didn't have any WF at all so there was a lot of weak UMD healing going on. But we did complete it, not without deaths for sure but we did complete!

Those were good times, honestly. Since the cap increase and introduction of Epic Destinies though almost all of that Ha-Ha is dead alas. So I figure I either gotta try and bring it back or be happy playing X-Com, Civ V and Blood Bowl for the forseeable future!

Seems like there's a number of people who run on Thelanis that post in the forums. :P I'd be curious what my experience would be like on other servers if I made characters elsewhere.

I may have to try some of these ideas on Cannith and see how they go over (or don't go over, as the case might be).
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

Quote Originally Posted by bluejadex View Post
    Seems like there's a number of people who run on Thelanis that post in the forums. :P I'd be curious what my experience would be like on other servers if I made characters elsewhere.

I may have to try some of these ideas on Cannith and see how they go over (or don't go over, as the case might be).
    Could be a Thelanis thing for sure. I started there because it was supposed to be the most "newb" friendly and I would have to say after trying Khyber and Cannith I would agree at least between the 3 it seemed the most open. At least it did like 4 or 5 years ago.

I figure you should give it a shot on Cannith, worst that can happen really is you sit around a bit and don't get any bites and hell that isn't that different from waiting for a group to fill I figure.

As a hint I advertised it as LFM (and in chat) and DON'T accept the party invites I won an early one because a guy did that and I could just follow his dot. That said I wouldn't take the item from him, it just felt cheap.

Could be a Thelanis thing for sure. I started there because it was supposed to be the most "newb" friendly and I would have to say after trying Khyber and Cannith I would agree at least between the 3 it seemed the most open. At least it did like 4 or 5 years ago.

I figure you should give it a shot on Cannith, worst that can happen really is you sit around a bit and don't get any bites and hell that isn't that different from waiting for a group to fill I figure.

As a hint I advertised it as LFM (and in chat) and DON'T accept the party invites I won an early one because a guy did that and I could just follow his dot. That said I wouldn't take the item from him, it just felt cheap.
    That very well could be the case (Thelanis being the most 'newb' friendly). The person that got me into DDO helped me out when I was first starting, so I pretty much always had at least one person to run with. Still might be interesting to try out another server sometime...

I will see about giving it a shot on Cannith. Good point there; the worst thing really isn't bad and it could turn out to be a positive thing.

Thanks for the hints/tips!
    Cannith:

2015 DDO Players Council Sebastrd's Avatar

Unfortunately, every time I've tried the hide and seek game (as the seeker), it was some joker that had used a glitch or wings to get to their spot and just wanted everyone to see how uber they were. I'm sure I'm not the only one that got turned off by that and stopped participating.

Astreya the Unturning

It's always a shame when the hammer of poor design choices smashes the fun of player tactical adaptation.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default Today I tried to giveaway a +1 Greatsword of Lacerating

On Sarlona

+1 Greatsword of Lacerating ML 2.

I ran through Korthos, Harbor, and Marketplace offering it for FREE, and I would mail it to them.

Not one taker. So, I put it on the AH for a buyout of 700 plat. And I went on my merry way.

I actually do this quite often where I offer loot for FREE and that I will mail it to them. The last one I can remember someone taking was a race restricted HUMAN +3 Battle Plate. I said in the trade chat I would only give it to a cleric, and there was one that actually was glad to have it.

I gave feather falling boots, level 3, to some new player the other day with 1000 plat also.

On Ghallanda there were a few players that did giveaways.

Another year, I have given Icy Burst kits away for weapons to players. I did a contest where people had to link their weapons to me, or post a picture on the forums of the weapon. I then rated the weapons as to which one was best for being icy bursted. The winner was +2 Keen Falchion of Enfeebling ML 8. Nothing like a crit range of 15-20 to make that icy burst effect happen a lot.

I used to run through the harbor offering Mithral armor and shields, expeditious retreat clickies, feather fall clickies, and shield clickies all the time. Since Mithral has gone away, I have not done this in a long time.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Since Mithral has gone away...
    ...say WHAT?!?!?!

WOW! First they introduce a class that cant wear metal armor, so of COURSE they have to take away Studded Leather and Hide armors, thereby limiting a Druid's choice of armor to...well....leather.

Now you're telling me theyve taken away Mithral armor too?

Wow....just...wow. Well, good thing I've got several suits of various mithral armors banked and on my mule.

(@*$#&$ing Turbine.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastrd View Post
    Unfortunately, every time I've tried the hide and seek game (as the seeker), it was some joker that had used a glitch or wings to get to their spot and just wanted everyone to see how uber they were. I'm sure I'm not the only one that got turned off by that and stopped participating.
    Yeah that can be a problem. Personally I make sure I don't hide anywhere that requires a boost, jump higher than say a jump spell (often less) or underwater breathing.

I remember seeing the odd one that did that but most of the time people I played with didn't need it, though sometimes the waterbreathing / underwater action certainly played a big role.

That said if I am offering something that really is high level then I will often hide somewhere that requires a virtually maxed jump (but not boosts) to get to because people who should be interested in using it should be able to get to it. I prefer to hand stuff out to a toon that needs it and can use it right away rather than someone saving it "for later". Sometimes "for later" means they just want it to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philibusta View Post
    ...say WHAT?!?!?!

WOW! First they introduce a class that cant wear metal armor, so of COURSE they have to take away Studded Leather and Hide armors, thereby limiting a Druid's choice of armor to...well....leather.

Now you're telling me theyve taken away Mithral armor too?

Wow....just...wow. Well, good thing I've got several suits of various mithral armors banked and on my mule.

(@*$#&$ing Turbine.
    Yeah they had to get rid of Mithral because it made heavy Armor "medium" and Medium Armor "light" and messed with PRR. Basically you were wearing fullplate and getting breastplate PRR which is completely opposite of what Mithral was meant to be about. I don't think they could figure out how to fix it so they just tossed it.

As for Druid Armors, Rasksaha Hide is still out there but as far as I know it's the only hide armor left in the game and it's "OK".