Default Racial Prestige Class Enhancements

As a matter of balance, the racially accessed Prestige Class enhancements (e.g. Elf Arcane Archer, etc...) seem rather excessively overpriced.

(1) You need to blow 15+ points in the racial tree just to get to them.

(2) Once you get to them, the actual enhancement costs 4 points. No other enhancement costs 4 points.

(3) Once you spend the four points, it unlocks a nerfed version of the regular class tree.

Now, I understand why the progression in the racial tree has a higher character level requirement for certain abilities, but there's no excuse for double-dipping on the point costs to get to the tree when (1) it's nerfed when you get there and (2) a 2-4 level splash multiclass will get you access to 99% of the un-nerfed version of the same tree for ZERO enhancement points.

Either reduce the cost of the racial enhancements from 4 points to a single point, reduce the amount of racial points spent as a prerequisite, or both. Personally, I think going from 4 to 1 while keeping prerequisites the same makes sense. If you've got 15 points in the racial tree, you've got enough Elf cred to use a bow.

You're going to be hooking up the rest of the racial trees soon, so it makes sense to look at this one now.
    Give a man a fish, and he demands two more tomorrow.
    Teach a man to fish, and he'll leave to find somebody who'll just give him a fish.
    Beat him unconscious with the fish, and it's comedy.

Community Member

Default lower ap costs in racial PrEs, maybe

*bump

This is a complaint I had for Racial PrEs as well.

I was thinking that lowering all AP costs in the racial PrE version of a tree to 1 (except perhaps for particularly strong enhancements?). This might require lowering the tier gating in racial PrEs as well (after all, the player has functionally spent 15 points JUST TO GET TO THE TREE--give the player credit for that!). It would also have the effect of at least making the racial PrE feel unique.

I haven't played around with the Arcane Archer via Elf tree (I'm much more interested in the Drow Tempest PrE), so I can't comment as to its being nerfed relative to the Ranger one, but again, lowering the AP costs would make sense if the player is buying less power per AP.

Making racial PrEs "worth it" was always going to be problematic with the gating and core enhancements set up as they are for the very reasons noted above:

Now, I understand why the progression in the racial tree has a higher character level requirement for certain abilities, but there's no excuse for double-dipping on the point costs to get to the tree when (1) it's nerfed when you get there and (2) a 2-4 level splash multiclass will get you access to 99% of the un-nerfed version of the same tree for ZERO enhancement points.

Community Member

personally, i think they should have points spent in the racial tree count toward points spent in racial PRE. though i agree about it being too expensive. Especially if you want something like dex to damage with bows.

Community Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    personally, i think they should have points spent in the racial tree count toward points spent in racial PRE. though i agree about it being too expensive. Especially if you want something like dex to damage with bows.
    Tier 2 ninja core ability will grant that man,go monkcher!
    IGN Manasdirge; guild:excalibur

Community Member

Really, 4 points is too much to access a complete tree? A light Ranger splash wont give you access to the DR breaking Core abilities, after all, but taking it through Elf will.

For Elf, its kinda odd because any char that's taking AA is probably going to splash Ranger anyway, for skills in DWS if not just for the autogrant feats. But you definitely could build a viable Elf pure Wiz/Sorc/FVS caster with a bow for some free baseline DPS - which, ostensibly, is what AA is all about, especially with things like temp SP and Shattermantle Shot benefiting a caster more than a pure archer.