Default Strength or Dex?

I'm planning out my Monk life for when I TR, and I've never really played one before. I do know that I want to go light monk, and that I will be using handwraps. I have (tentatively) picked Half-Orc for the race, but that's because from what I've read (which could totally be wrong) Strength will be more important.

Is Dex important, beyond the requirement for two weapon fighting feats? Is it even worth it to take Weapon Finesse?

Any input is really appreciated, because I have no idea what I'm doing lol. I'll be two-manning the entire game with an Artificer if that affects anything.

Yes, dex is somewhat important, for reflex, mainly. Beyond 17+an item, I ditch it. Won't benefit you greatly.
    Personally, I've never liked Horc. Human offers more... Esp for wis based, which is where a monk shines.
    Stunning fist is amazing, but it's wis based. (As are your cool light monk abilities!)
    Going wis based (not neglecting str, but levels into wisdom), you'll have.. maybe.. 5 less damage per hit?
    But the ability to stun pretty much everything, to hit 50% more than normal.

I'm sure a str monk is viable, I just don't like the idea of it. No stun would be the death knell of my monks. (And stunning blow is ****, to be honest with you)

Even my monkcher can solo most content in melee, relying on its stun (being wis based). And that thing started with gimped str :P
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 07-15-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

For monks, it isn't STR vs DEX; it's STR vs WIS. STR-based has higher base DPS & DCs for regular tactics feats, as well as the option of adding Overwhelming Crit (if you pick up Cleave+GC as well); WIS-based has higher AC and DCs for monk strikes and can get Vorpal Strikes. I prefer WIS-based monks these days, it just feels more...well, monk-y that way.