Default Cocoon vs Healing Spring

Assuming a mana pool of between 140 - 190, would cocoon be a better choice than healing spring for a twist? Specifically for a (likely pure) monk build.

Thanx in advance.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Assuming a mana pool of between 140 - 190, would cocoon be a better choice than healing spring for a twist? Specifically for a (likely pure) monk build.

Thanx in advance.
    id say cocoon heals you when you need it healing spring heals when its timer is up i know which of those id prefer to have

If you have a method of regaining SP (halcyon boots, magical training, etc) then Cocoon is the better twist by far. But, if you only have the listed SP it is a toss up. In a party, I'd say Spring is better, but solo Cocoon might be the better option.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    If you have a method of regaining SP (halcyon boots, magical training, etc) then Cocoon is the better twist by far. But, if you only have the listed SP it is a toss up. In a party, I'd say Spring is better, but solo Cocoon might be the better option.
    No mana regen (gear slots not available), just clickies (necklaces from Korthos & Fens + RoSS).
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raoull View Post
    In a party, I'd say Spring is better, but solo Cocoon might be the better option.
    I think this is what you should remember most. But I would suggest you try both just to experience with them. Cocoon is also more of a life saver than Healing Spring will ever be.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

I have to say even with a limited mana pool caccoon will likely get you more effect, partly because unless you are twisting in other things healing spring is only a single use per rest for 5 minutes of steady HoT.

Caccoons mana cost is low enough even with a minimal mana pool you can get a fair bit of healing out of it If your going to be full shiradi then the spring will be plenty of self healing for you and your allies between shrines for alot of content.

Now since you mentioned monk, if pure it is abit of a toss up, but even a mild splash into a casting class can turn that limited mana and echos into a huge perk worth the splashing for epic game play just for fuel for the caccoon.

Healing spring is only 1 use per rest as a twist (unless you use other twists, each of which also can only give one more use per rest). That is effectively only 16 heals there, and due to rolling a d100 when it heals, some of those heals will be for very low amounts, and you can't control when they happen.

Cocoon, however, gives reliable heals, when you need them. Also, you can heal from cocoon every 12 seconds instead of every 20. You can get 16 cocoon uses to match healing spring with just 192 HP (slot archmagi in some left over yellow slot or something).

Solo, go cocoon all the way. The only saving grace for healing spring is that it heals the whole party at the same time, so maybe more of a toss up then.

Community Member

I have to temper all my advice now with what we know may be coming soon in the EP based on the open preview...and I don't think there's any reason, post-EP, to go pure Monk over splashing 1 Druid for Magical Training, taking Emp. Heal for boosted Cocoon, and going 3/3 Beguile for massively awesome CC on a high-ROF class like Monk. Heck, you even get Rams Might for +3 damage, too.

Just hope you're already Lawful Neutral

Both are nice abilities to help add self-sufficiency into an epic character.

Healing Spring as a twist gives you 1 charge for 5 minutes of 1d100 every 20 seconds (30 ticks)

Rejuvenation Cocoon gives you roughly 4 ticks of 5d6 (1 every 2 seconds for 9 seconds or until the temporary HP are smoked)

Healing spring is a preventive healing as it ticks even if you don't require healing, some of its best uses come just prior to entering combat or situations with lots of damage, the more people effected by it the better its Return On Investment. However, without additional twists it is a one time per rest ability.

Cocoon is a reactive healing that can be employed at will (12 second cooldown). One advantage is that even if it does not heal a party member the Temporary HP will still be in effect (Confirmed this with use on PM's and WF under situation where positive energy does not heal). with 120 SP you can cast this 10 times as needed. Any small SP regeneration from item, feat, ED ability or even the use of minor/lessor SP potions can extend this pool.

In a raid environment Healing Spring can be a good way to help the entire party for 5 minutes, but for questing purposes I think Cocoon would be a better investment.

Ok, thanx for the input from all

I didn't realize I would have to use multiple twists to get multiple uses of the Spring, so that pretty well seals the deal; Cocoon it will be.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Since my own monks are either UMD-bearing freaky multiclassed abominations or half elves with the cleric dilly, i find that rapid healing (from fury of the wild) can also be a nice passive one, though cocoon is IMO one of the best twists available for almost any character who has some trace of a blue bar - even if you don't have much (or any) devotion to boost it, its still better than most potions & hey, fire it off as you start fighting (or are about to jump through an active trap), you'll have a handy buffer of temporary HP.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.