Community Member

Thumbs up Making uses of useless spells & items.. Part 1

Take it easy if my ideas are bad or stupid this is the first time I post something on these forums but I've been playing DDO for awhile and wanted to suggest somethings

1. We all know how useless "word of recall" is right for it being a level 6 spell it should be a bit more useful so this is my suggestion for this spell. Instead of it teleporting you to the Temple of the Sovereign Host (In House Deneith) it should be a way point to shrines you've pined (ex. In invaders! (the level 17 quest in the harbor) you took the path to the shrine 1st once you got there no one in your party needed to rest at that moment so you skipped it. You've cleared everything on the shrine side now your going to the bridge side with the 3 beholders and you notice your casters and you lacking sp and notice you cant heal due to the lack of sp but you have enough sp to cast word of recall on your party once you cast it you'll be teleported to the shrine you saved for an occasion like this. This would make a bigger use for that spell but I think if my suggestion ever gets put into the game the spell should cost 75sp as a mass buff it should also have three spells in one like the spells that have more then 1 spell (ex. Delayed Blast Fireball,Fire Shield,Flame Arrow,Protection from Energy and last but not least Resist Energy) 1 spell to pin the shrine another to cast on the party and the other one to teleport the party to the pinned shrine.

2. Next useless spell is Flame Sphere it is just a level 2 spell so not going to suggest a big change but it should be a bit more useful instead of it bumping into your enemies and dealing almost no damage it should be more like the Eladrin Ghaele (From Summon Monster IX) it should cast spells on your enemies, fire based spells maybe a weaker version of Fire Storm and Flame Strike (just with out the divine damage) or when it gets defeated it'll cast Fire Storm. Its main spells should be Burnings Hands (Burning Hands just because Flame Sphere is a level 2 spell) Flame Strike (With out the divine damage) and Scorching Ray (Tire 1) and Fire Storm (Only when defeated). This might be to much now but how about Aura of Flame it is a ball of fire isnt it?

3. I know we all love underwater action items but the name of the enchantment doesnt really speak for its self especially when something like that pops up the name of the item clearly says underwater action but I cant perform "UNDERWATER ACTIONS" my proposal to this item is to atleast let you cast spells on yourself or other players (like hires do) but I'm not just suggesting beneficial ideas I also think it should have a drawback since you are casting underwater there should be a delay just because your casting underwater but that drawback can be removed with FoM (Also know as Freedom of Movement). If this gets put in another drawback should be not allowing players to drink pots with out having underwater action on. ( Lol this is me just suggesting so don't attack me if you dont like it)

Let me know what you guys think is this a good idea or bad and should it be implanted to DDO
    (I'm open to other suggestions)
    Last edited by Demonhalf5; 07-16-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Updating my Suggestions

Sounds kinda like a Lloyd's beacon spell. I like it.

its original which is the rarest type of suggestion. sounds like a good idea though it might complicate making a new quest since they now have this uniqe spell to take into account for us players though cant think of a drawback except when you misclick and "sorry team didnt mean to transport 4 back to the shinre while the 2 others died horrible at endboss"

Quote Originally Posted by Uidolon View Post
    "sorry team didnt mean to transport 4 back to the shinre while the 2 others died horrible at endboss"
    Maybe make it either like Ddoor where each party member clicks on it, or Greater Teleport where each party member in range must accept the teleport.
    UDR Loot Rules:
    1) No griefing people for pulling loot that dropped in their name
    2) When rolling, classes for which the item is "useful" get +10 to the roll
    example: Wiz and Barb both roll on a Torc, the barb saying "I'm TRing into an arcane next week"
    Wiz gets +10 on his roll

Community Member

Would be simple for quest, just make the same effect that prevent DDoor to work to stop this spell too. Love the idea

Not bad. Might need some fine tuning but a DDoor to the last shrine is a cool idea.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Add 'cant be used in raids' and its great idea.

Community Member

The only problem is I don't know how the game would keep track of which shrines you've "reached" but haven't used. Its not like there's any waypoint mechanic currently in game.

Great idea!

Superb first post, welcome.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    The only problem is I don't know how the game would keep track of which shrines you've "reached" but haven't used. Its not like there's any waypoint mechanic currently in game.
    Not true.
    Its already in game, Ana goes back to last shrine when you lose her in temple.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Demonhalf5 View Post
    Take it easy if my ideas are bad...

1. We all know how useless "word of recall" is right for it being a level 6 spell it should be a bit more useful so this is my suggestion for this spell. Instead of it teleporting you to the Temple of the Sovereign Host (In House Deneith) it should be a way point to shrines you've pined
    Let me take it easy...

Stop trying to nerf Clerics! You want to take away the only teleport spell we have? No thank you!

Community Member

Default Not a nerf......

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Let me take it easy...

Stop trying to nerf Clerics! You want to take away the only teleport spell we have? No thank you!
    Dont see why a divine caster needs an arcane type spell makes more sense if it takes you to a shrine fits in alot more as a divine spell shrines are a place for worship (in DDO's case a place to rest at to get you hp and sp back which is like praying at a shrine for your powers back) so it would make alot more sense if a cleric, a divine caster, divine being godlike powers or holy powers would teleport you to a shrine, a place of worship, see what I'm saying here cleric=divine spells, divine spells=godlike/holy powers, shrine=a place to worship at so why not put everything together and make a real spell instead of what it is now... And no its not a nerf no where near a nerf

2014 DDO Players Council

Dont see why a divine caster needs an arcane type spell
    It's not "an arcane type spell", it's a divine spell. Here, read more if you like:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wordOfRecall.htm

And no its not a nerf no where near a nerf
    Taking away the ability to get out in a hurry certainly is a nerf.

If you want to improve it, have it take us to our bind point, or guild airship, instead of only the Sov Host temple.

But trying to completely destroy our only teleporting ability is clearly a nerf, vague hand-waving about holy powers not withstanding. Where do you possibly get the idea that simply taking away the functionality of a core divine spell is somehow not a nerf?

Take it easy if my ideas are bad or stupid this is the first time I post something on these forums but I've been playing DDO for awhile and wanted to suggest somethings

1. We all know how useless "word of recall" is right for it being a level 6 spell it should be a bit more useful so this is my suggestion for this spell. Instead of it teleporting you to the Temple of the Sovereign Host (In House Deneith) it should be a way point to shrines you've pined (ex. In invaders! (the level 17 quest in the harbor) you took the path to the shrine 1st once you got there no one in your party needed to rest at that moment so you skipped it. You've cleared everything on the shrine side now your going to the bridge side with the 3 beholders and you notice your casters and you lacking sp and notice you cant heal due to the lack of sp but you have enough sp to cast word of recall on your party once you cast it you'll be teleported to the shrine you saved for an occasion like this. This would make a bigger use for that spell but I think if my suggestion ever gets put into the game the spell should cost 75sp as a mass buff it should also have three spells in one like the spells that have more then 1 spell (ex. Delayed Blast Fireball,Fire Shield,Flame Arrow,Protection from Energy and last but not least Resist Energy) 1 spell to pin the shrine another to cast on the party and the other one to teleport the party to the pinned shrine.

2. Next useless spell is Flame Sphere it is just a level 2 spell so not going to suggest a big change but it should be a bit more useful instead of it bumping into your enemies and dealing almost no damage it should be more like the Eladrin Ghaele (From Summon Monster IX) it should cast spells on your enemies, fire based spells maybe a weaker version of Fire Storm and Flame Strike (just with out the divine damage) or when it gets defeated it'll cast Fire Storm. Its main spells should be Burnings Hands (Burning Hands just because Flame Sphere is a level 2 spell) Flame Strike (With out the divine damage) and Scorching Ray (Tire 1) and Fire Storm (Only when defeated). This might be to much now but how about Aura of Flame it is a ball of fire isnt it?

3. I know we all love underwater action items but the name of the enchantment doesnt really speak for its self especially when something like that pops up the name of the item clearly says underwater action but I cant perform "UNDERWATER ACTIONS" my proposal to this item is to atleast let you cast spells on yourself or other players (like hires do) but I'm not just suggesting beneficial ideas I also think it should have a drawback since you are casting underwater there should be a delay just because your casting underwater but that drawback can be removed with FoM (Also know as Freedom of Movement). If this gets put in another drawback should be not allowing players to drink pots with out having underwater action on. ( Lol this is me just suggesting so don't attack me if you dont like it)

Let me know what you guys think is this a good idea or bad and should it be implanted to DDO
    (I'm open to other suggestions)
    Put a ship portal in the House D temple, or farshifter who sends you to the twelve near the airship entrance and word of recall becomes much more useful. At least the scrolls do. The main reason I use WoR now is to go back to Eberron from Eveningstar, or if I want to finish out of a quest quickly.

I do like the idea of a ddoor or mass teleport back to the nearest shrine, but I think that would take more time to implement than either of my suggestions above.
    Last edited by Postumus; 07-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.

it is minor, I know, but I think underwater action should also give a bonus to swim ability. You could have varying degrees of underwater action- lesser, greater, that grant different bonuses to swim skill. I would suggest underwater action just grants FoM while underwater, but that does not sound so easy to code as simply granting a swim bonus.