Community Member

Default Multi-box/Account play style.

I'm curious about those of you who multi-box, what you use it for, how active each account is, and how you deal with movement.

With no follow function in game I can see setting up a fight, pulling the monsters out, and then using a simple click on the secondary character for healing/curing/etc.

I can also see that a ranged character could simply tap the assist key, and with auto attack, add in some extra damage.

However, how do you folks multi-box? Or is it only for chest loots?

It's for window farming or leveling a melee life by playing a caster and being able to complete the life easier. One toon always just sits at the entrance.

There are many reasons to multi-box

1. Access to multiple skill/power sets - IE Rogue skills or none-hireling healer (Healer types and Bard Types were popular before hirelings)

2. Leveling up multiple characters at the same time

3. Favor Farming/Guild Renown

4. Loot Farming

5. Account setup with Quest Unlocks so you can skip pre-requisite quests such as the Bloody/Shadow/Curst Crypt

Many that I ran into bought multiple subscriptions, however I did run into some that used a F2P to Premium Account using Favor TP to buy the packs to become "Openers".

Many cases it is nothing more than efficiency on quest completions / Loot farming.

Most leave the "extra" character at the entrance or "safe spot". I even met one that held a conversation between the two characters, which at first looked like a Melee vs Cleric "know your roll" argument even splitting the party on sides with people coming to the defense of each (which I could imagine was a hoot and a half on the players part). However, most it is simply a "Piker" for Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    I'm curious about those of you who multi-box, what you use it for, how active each account is, and how you deal with movement.

With no follow function in game I can see setting up a fight, pulling the monsters out, and then using a simple click on the secondary character for healing/curing/etc.

I can also see that a ranged character could simply tap the assist key, and with auto attack, add in some extra damage.

However, how do you folks multi-box? Or is it only for chest loots?
    There's a few ways to handle it. You can simply park the toon so that you're getting xp for two toons at once while you're soloing. (I don't do this in groups) If the toon is a bard, wiz, etc, you can use them to buff the toon you're playing before you start. If you have ddoor or don't mind running around, you can go back to the start for rebuffs or advance the piking toon to buff and grab chests.

For some quests that require another toon to stand on a plate, turn a lever or whatever, they can be used for that although a hireling is generally faster.

You can also trade toons, using the toon most suited for different sections of the dungeon, if applicable.

For chests where seals, rare items, etc drop, you can see what the other toon has to see if it's worth having them run through the dungeon to the chest.

Most times I just park one at the entrance and essentially forget about it. It is handy if you die unexpectedly though, as the second toon can do a rescue.

I multibox to role play with myself.

I'M SO ALONE!!!! D:
    Last edited by DynaTheCat; 07-15-2013 at 05:40 PM.

I quad box almost exclusively. I do it primarily because I don't have time to wait for quests to form. At this point (currently lvl 16) I run one quest a night and that leaves me enough time to prepare for the follow day by position my characters by the entrance. I'll ship buff my main melee character then run into the quest. Most people leave the extra toons by the entrance, and at lower levesl in most cases I do, but as I get higher in levels I often move my other three toons forward. They all have the ability to summon something and have augment summoning feat.

So I swarm into rooms with four summons (maybe a dog or a wolf too) and usually either two clerics hirelings or a cleric and a melee. I've had some crazy fun battles trying to run four toons at a time. I dunno, call me crazy (and I have been) but its fun. I do break away from the "Army" from time to time to join a guild group if they are doing something around my level at the time.

Unfortunately, today's patch broke my login script I wrote.... guess it's back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post

For chests where seals, rare items, etc drop, you can see what the other toon has to see if it's worth having them run through the dungeon to the chest.
    Err No.

Chests only populate for a character when THAT Character clicks on said Chest!

Community Member thomascoolone64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post

I multibox to role play with myself.

I'M SO ALONE!!!! D:
    Dude, im more lonely than you... i roleplayed with a Female toon for a Relationship between Me and my Non existant girlfriend :'( (As the Female character ingame)

Meaning i developed a bond with my Female Character
    Back up account to "Buttkierownsmade"

I am Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by thomascoolone64 View Post
    Dude, im more lonely than you... i roleplayed with a Female toon for a Relationship between Me and my Non existant girlfriend :'( (As the Female character ingame)

Meaning i developed a bond with my Female Character
    er? are you for real? or is this just a really good......................................

Community Member

And there are those that multi-box with more than one machine so they can run them together. That must take some real focused ADD.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Oh I had 3 accounts in another game...

Follow mode, outdoor zones, and you can use VARIOUS applications, and methods to sync keyboard input, and bind different keys to different functions.

Basically... In other games, with the "follow mode" you can do some amazing group combats.

Think EQ, with 1 wizard leading and 4 death nights, all with a single key bound to death touch.

BOOM burst down anything, 1 toon playing, 1 box for the main, and 1 box for all the followers.

Multi-boxing farming has become an art for some people. If I could get the server lag issues resolved, and normalize run speed you could just send movement keys to your alts, and move them as one giant pile...

This game makes it harder because movement speed differences, differences in jump, and various other issues that makes keeping two characters ONTOP of one another. (A lot to do with turning, running in a straight line works fine)

If they were to implement a 'follow' mode, it would open up a HUGE can of worms.

I'd be tempted to just hotkey the heal spell on a hireling and have them 100% passive, and just click with a keybinding when needed... You're healing would be 100% better!

The vast majority of my playing is done multi-(3)-client on one box. I do not script in game actions or use any tools to move multiple guys at once. I play each one and alt-tab,alt-tab (2, every time) to the next guy.

I do this mostly because I have limited ability to guarantee my time to other players. I generally have plenty of time to play, but I need the flexibility to be called away.

This has modified my play-style in the following ways...

- I generally play one guy, with the other two standing about. And then rotate for movement.

- I use hireling and pets a lot, of course.

- Most fights are one guy and hirelings/pets, and two doorstops.

- I do a lot of "pulling" enemies to my group.

- I quest very slowly. There is very little content I don't know like the back of my hand, and still, I quest very slowly. But since I earn three times the XP, I don't mind.

- I almost never use ship buffs, as I expend a lot more time than most folks getting to the things that are important to have the buffs for.

- I am *really* good at timing my auto-running, switching characters, and switching back before falling over a cliff/into lava/ etc.

Most of all, though, it has greatly effected my character selection. I have always preferred casters as a rule, but this playstyle makes melee's much less fun to play. I also have a higher than normal affinity for ranged characters, since they can be pointed at something, set to auto-fire, and left. This fact does, though, make me loathe soft-targeting and the targeting system in general, since it is very easy to target something and jump away only to find it was soft targeted and my guy isn't firing.

I could go on and on, but that is enough for now.

P.S. I'd played EQ as well (my only other MMO) and used to 4 box that. travel was easier, but DDO is much more fun with it.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

So how powerful of a PC does one need to run two instances of DDO (using the new launcher capability)?

I have a 3 year old ASUS (don't remember all the specs, am at work right now).

Thanks.

I keep a dual box account.

I keep a character flagged for a couple of different things to include Shadowcrypt, Delera's Part 4, Bloody Crypt, and also have all possible quests acquired.

I'm pretty xp/min OCD, so I have him sit in my party so I never have to acquire quests from NPCs and can just run from place to place without all the 2-3 minute "NPC breaks" adding up.

As far as performance goes... I have a pretty powerful computer, but do tend to keep pretty much everything but my draw distance turned down and never really have any problems running them both.
    Orien Characters
    Kierkan - Bladeforged 12/6/2 Shiradi Favored Soul/Wizard/Monk| Dragonnbaito - Half-Elf Legendary Dreadnought 12 Monk/6 Paladin/2 Fighter

I use 2 computers to multi-box. My main gaming rig and a laptop.

Mostly I use the second account as a mobile shrine and healer (FVS, level 23) or as a chest buffer and healer (level 25 spellsinger bard. An extra loot puller is always nice.

My main account is mostly melee types (Fighter, barb, rogue and bard). I have been very successful in shrouds for a long time running 2 accounts at once with no one in the group being aware of it. Shroud is an easy raid to do this in, even easier since the level cap went to 25. I have become pretty good at running 2 different toons across a dungeon or wilderness area at the same time.

For fights I stop and fight with the main account. The second account has the main targeted for quick hot key heals and buffs. It is much harder for to do this in quest I do not know well. I dual box maybe 20% of the total time I play and mostly only solo or with guild mates.

Owl bears, panther, summoned monsters, and regular hirelings can help.
    Last edited by Bolo_Grubb; 07-16-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"