Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default Some questions about Greensteel items

    Hi all,

    Recently returned and having a blast relearning how to play My toon is level 15 (2 rogue/13 wiz WF) and I'm wondering if I should go about grinding out GS items for him. My questions are as follows:

    1) Are they still considered must haves? At the time I played, they were, but the game has changed alot!

    2) If so, which items should I go for? I may or may not ever TR, so let's assume that this char is the only one I'm worried about at the moment. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'll also mention I solo most of the time.

    3) Can someone link the GS planner for me? I can't seem to find a working link anymore.

    Thanks!

    Ist.

  2. #2
    Community Member SiliconScout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Welcome back!

    1. No they are not really must haves though concordant opposition is still VERY useful and well worth your time.
    2. Concord Opposition that boosts either HP or SP, depends on what bar runs out on you most often.
    3. http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php

    Enjoy!


  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    Hi all,

    Recently returned and having a blast relearning how to play My toon is level 15 (2 rogue/13 wiz WF) and I'm wondering if I should go about grinding out GS items for him. My questions are as follows:

    1) Are they still considered must haves? At the time I played, they were, but the game has changed alot!

    2) If so, which items should I go for? I may or may not ever TR, so let's assume that this char is the only one I'm worried about at the moment. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I'll also mention I solo most of the time.

    3) Can someone link the GS planner for me? I can't seem to find a working link anymore.

    Thanks!

    Ist.
    -Probably not, especially for a caster class. They're still probably the best midlevel Heroic weapons, but there are other alternatives now that serve perfectly well. Augments are fulfilling a lot of the stat-bonus role that GS items held. Plus, by the time you ground up a complete GS item, probably, the Enhancement Pass is going to hit and bring new lootgen tables and an accelerated Heroic XP curve, anyway.

    -The same logic applies as it always has. You'll probably want a Conc Opp for the SP healing, and something with HP. There really isn't a "best" slot AFAIK for GS anymore, though....there's no slots with "nothing else good" available, so it depends what else you're going to end up slotting.

  4. #4
    2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,674

    Default

    Weapons-wise, though they aren't the top any more they're certainly still effective & for particular niches they can still be pretty nice once in epic levels - a triple positive weapon is still the best anti-undead weapon in the game (with the possible exception of the level 20+ mabar handwraps for monks) the min2 weapons are still great all-purpose DR breakers & lit2 still pack a hefty punch... i'd also say the ooze2 is a good for ranged characters, especially as a repeater for an arty but that's mainly for the fun factor of spawning augmented puddings all over the place

    For gear, they still have some nice utility - either for some HP boost (less important now with all the epic levels but admittedly still nice) & as previously mentioned conc opp are very nice for the periodic SP recharges & in the forthcoming update the +skill value from exceptional bonus will be doubled (but no longer stacking) so with a bit of careful building you can get a +6 to one set of skills then a +4 to another set, which as a rogue/wizzy could be handy in places.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    459

    Default

    For weapons, I'm still wondering why so many overlook how powerfull Radiance is. It's not only for Rogue to enable sneak damage, blind opponent has 50% miss chance. Put it on large crit range weapon and have fun, mobs not hitting is even better for survival then killing 2% faster once they've got enough hp to survive long enough to do a few attacks.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagantor View Post
    For weapons, I'm still wondering why so many overlook how powerfull Radiance is. It's not only for Rogue to enable sneak damage, blind opponent has 50% miss chance. Put it on large crit range weapon and have fun, mobs not hitting is even better for survival then killing 2% faster once they've got enough hp to survive long enough to do a few attacks.
    Eeks, not more choices. At the moment I've got enough ingredients to make one GS weapon before I TR into a few melee lives. I was trying to decide between making an undead beater and a MinII, but this gives me something else to think about. I was leaning towards the undead beater because I feel like I already have some decent trash beaters with a lvl 14 Great Axe of the Chained Soldier and Whirlwind.

    Any thoughts, guys?

  7. #7
    Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    622

    Default

    I'd actually recommend a smoke item. Perma blur is hard to beat at survival especially when combined with +45 HP but I would make a con-opp first if I knew that next life would be a primary caster (FvS/Clr/Sor/Wiz/Drd/Brd/Art).
    Here is a link for a +45 HP smoke item. I recommend goggles for divine classes not planning on melee combat.
    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...&weapon=weapon
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

    Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    140

    Default

    At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread (though it does address the original question), I still think a Lit II weapon (holy/shocking burst/shocking blast or shock/good burst/shocking blast; both have the occasional lightning strike effect) makes levelling up a melee/ranged a LOT more fun, and there really isn't any better weapon at lvl 12 for damage against most mobs you'll encounter. I've run melees up both with and without one, and with is definitely better It still works well in Epic, as my khopesh-wielding fighter recently discovered, so you can use it as you build toward epic gear. If you're into running rogues or anyone else with sneak attack, though, Radiance weapons are probably better.

    As for the OP, as others noted, a conc-opp item is still a great item for casters (and more realistic to acquire than the torc from ADQ), and is probably more important at lvl 15 than a hit point item (as good as those are), since that type of hp can be found elsewhere. I would also mention that you could make an INT stick (+6 int, +1 exceptional int, +2 exceptional int on a weapon/scepter). That's fairly powerful at lvl 12, when you could first use it, but I wouldn't bother in the OP's case--epic lvls are just around the corner, and +7 int, +2 insightful int and exceptional int items are pretty easy to acquire. So, I'd say a conc-opp is worth grinding out (though if you're not TRing or in no hurry to do so, it can be a pretty light 'grind').

    Welcome back to the game!

    Quote Originally Posted by kmankowski View Post
    Eeks, not more choices. At the moment I've got enough ingredients to make one GS weapon before I TR into a few melee lives. I was trying to decide between making an undead beater and a MinII, but this gives me something else to think about. I was leaning towards the undead beater because I feel like I already have some decent trash beaters with a lvl 14 Great Axe of the Chained Soldier and Whirlwind.

    Any thoughts, guys?

  9. #9
    Community Member ThePrisoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    My toon is level 15 (2 rogue/13 wiz WF)
    Since you have a caster, I would recommend two worn items; a con op and a min II. Made the third tier of the con op; +100sp, +3 exceptional intelligence skills to aid you in your trapping.

    A perma blur item will do you no good, since you can cast displacement on yourself. The weapons will do little for you as well, because you aren't a melee and probably will not need absorption items with evasion and the insightful reflexes feat.

  10. #10
    Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    My toon is level 15 (2 rogue/13 wiz WF)
    Since you have a caster, I would recommend two worn items; a con op and a min II.

    A perma blur item will do you no good, since you can cast displacement on yourself. The weapons will do little for you as well.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 07-15-2013 at 07:52 PM.

  11. #11
    Hero nibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Book_O_Dragons View Post
    I'd actually recommend a smoke item.
    I wouldn't. Farm a level 4 Cannith challenge bracers. It is much faster to get the ingredients, and is useful since level 4 instead of 11.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

    I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,926

    Default Maybe my guildmates and I are old fashioned.

    But we're still working on getting most of our toons various GS and Cannith Crafted items.
    In fact, one of the guildies recently volunteered, or got volunteered by his sister, to be the guild crafter.

  13. #13
    Community Member Ghwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    115

    Default

    GS is definitely worth having even end game. On my casters I use con op with sp and a gs hp item with other bonuses. Its just too much sp and hp to give up. On a melee, hp blur displacement is a must.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    I wouldn't. Farm a level 4 Cannith challenge bracers. It is much faster to get the ingredients, and is useful since level 4 instead of 11.
    Meh. Blur with +45 HP is better than just Blur. But I'd farm them to have them until you can make a Smoke item.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default Great advice :)

    wow, some nice feedback here! Looks like I'll def craft a Conc Opp piece and a +45 HP piece also, but I'll need to do some reading up to get my basics straight - the planner is great for telling me what mats etc, but there are so many choices I feel sure I'll muck it up somehow :P I can research as I farm I guess

    If and when I do TR, I'm VERY likely to either go Rog/Wiz again or else Sorc/Pala (18/2), so caster gear is fine for my next life also. It looks like I'll need to make 2 items, so I'll be doing the 20 Shroud runs before I TR. One thing I am still (very) unsure of though, is what slots to make - anyone got advice on that?

    Thanks!

    Ist.

  16. #16
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    wow, some nice feedback here! Looks like I'll def craft a Conc Opp piece and a +45 HP piece also, but I'll need to do some reading up to get my basics straight - the planner is great for telling me what mats etc, but there are so many choices I feel sure I'll muck it up somehow :P I can research as I farm I guess

    If and when I do TR, I'm VERY likely to either go Rog/Wiz again or else Sorc/Pala (18/2), so caster gear is fine for my next life also. It looks like I'll need to make 2 items, so I'll be doing the 20 Shroud runs before I TR. One thing I am still (very) unsure of though, is what slots to make - anyone got advice on that?

    Thanks!

    Ist.
    Personally, I went with belt & gloves. In the over all I've found it gives me the best trade offs vs whatever else I could slot there. I'll add that eventually however, (after cleansing the belt) I made a helm identical to the gloves to expand my slotting options. Every other slot has one of those "must haves" assigned to it; of course others may disagree
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

  17. #17

    Default

    Gloves is absolutely the safest gear slot for arcane greensteel. Definitely stay away from hat, goggles, necklace and cloak, and a PM should avoid bracers. Boots are okay but there are nice caster boots, and same goes for belt. Gloves, otoh, offer almost nothing so that's the prime caster GS slot.

    My wizard wears 1 greensteel item 24/7 and has a second for shrine-swapping. I just couldn't justify a full gear slot for spell points since I spend those just self-buffing after a shrine. Going into form alone costs 100, so for a PM this is a really easy decision.

    What I did, specifically:

    Gloves
    Concordant Opposition (+6 wisdom, +10 haggle/diplomacy)
    +45 HP
    +3 constitution skills
    +2 constitution skills
    +1 strength skills
    (Note: I changed the skills in the link above to +2 str since +2 con won't stack with +3 con once the expansion goes live.)

    Necklace (shrine swap)
    Wizardry VI
    +50 elemental spell points
    +100 elemental spell points
    Raise Dead 1/Day
    +3 charisma skills
    +2 charisma skills
    +1 charisma skills

    I couldn't be happier with this setup. As soon as I spend all the extra spell points from the necklace I switch to torc. And that necklace is cheap since it's a single-shard item.

    Also note: If you go this route, be sure to cleanse the shrine swap item, NOT the always-worn item. You may end up needing to move the always-on item due to future must-have gear being introduced, but the shrine swap never needs to change because it's almost never actually worn while questing.

  18. #18
    Community Member elraido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,723

    Default

    I still have a concordiant op goggles and min II necklace on my level 25 paladin. I keep debating if I should replace them, but I haven't found much and/or too lazy to grind for something else. :P
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Gloves are a good option for a pure caster, but not if you're planning on running a meleeing caster later (like the sorc/pally OP mentioned)--too many good glove options which provide STR and other goodies (Fabricator's; PDK gauntlets; etc). I know a lot of folks slot their GS in goggles (that's usually where I put my HP item, especially on non-caster melees), and for my wizzy I put it on the cloak. I suspect I just don't know the other cloak options well enough, but I couldn't think of anything else I'd put in that slot (with one important exception: if you're fire-specced but want to keep your hands free--a monk/melee caster, for example--the Cloak of Flames from Cannith challenges is a nice option. For sorcs, cloaks can hold charisma but you could slot cha on rings and necklaces just as easily.) I'm reluctant to put GS on belts, because they can hold a lot of important things and so provide a lot of gearing flexibility: fortification, false life, con, str, named items like Spare Hand, Seven Ideals, Arkat's Cord, Girdle of Giant's Brawn, etc.

    BTW, I like Ellisdee's swapping setup, though it does mean you don't get the SP regen from the conc-opp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    One thing I am still (very) unsure of though, is what slots to make - anyone got advice on that?

    Thanks!

    Ist.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    I know a lot of folks slot their GS in goggles (that's usually where I put my HP item, especially on non-caster melees), and for my wizzy I put it on the cloak. I suspect I just don't know the other cloak options well enough, but I couldn't think of anything else I'd put in that slot (with one important exception: if you're fire-specced but want to keep your hands free--a monk/melee caster, for example--the Cloak of Flames from Cannith challenges is a nice option.
    Tablecloth is very good for casters. Short of that, both cloak of night and ghost-waking cloak are nice.

    Any spell power capped at 90 (like the cloak of flames) is only useful for an off-school line. You're sacrificing 30 spell power right of the bat now, even more when the new xpack goes live and the level cap goes up to 28. ML28 spell power will be 138 if the current progression holds.

    I'm reluctant to put GS on belts, because they can hold a lot of important things and so provide a lot of gearing flexibility: fortification, false life, con, str, named items like Spare Hand, Seven Ideals, Arkat's Cord, Girdle of Giant's Brawn, etc.
    Agreed. My cleric has a GS belt, but only because I needed a slot that would work for all three setups: tr leveling, initial epic gearset, final epic gearset.

    BTW, I like Ellisdee's swapping setup, though it does mean you don't get the SP regen from the conc-opp.
    Yes you do; the concop is on the always-on HP item. The swap item just has spell points and a rez clickie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload