Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Launcher update and multiboxing

Apparently we won't need to use pylotro or any workarounds to multibox anymore.

Nice change.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    Apparently we won't need to use pylotro or any workarounds to multibox anymore.

Nice change.
    Interesting.

I guess if the servers look so dead, it's probably best to allow people to multibox as much as their computer can handle, so that it can look good to upper management...

"LOOK, OUR EXPANSION BROUGHT IN 35% NEW PLAYERS!"

I wonder if that new "repair" tab will help some players out with broken installations..
    I can see that Turbine is at least trying!

On another note... Why would anyone want their DDO launcher to run on startup? What would the upside to that be?
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

Technically multi-client if you're doing it on just one box.

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post
    On another note... Why would anyone want their DDO launcher to run on startup? What would the upside to that be?
    To get updates as soon as you start the computer.

I wonder if my computer can handle two instances running at once....?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlugger View Post
    Nice change.
    Indeed. Lets me save a couple GB of disk space and still have convenient access to my mules.

Default Interesting

A quick check on this and it does look pretty good so far. Some comments :

- I have the ability to leave the launcher open, which is great, but I still need to enter my password in for each new instance, even though all three of my accounts use the same login.
    - The Launcher should really use a different task icon from the game itself. In fact, if there was a way to get different task icons for different instances... well... happiness would ensue.
    - I would like to make yet another call for being able to save my password. I know some folks are concerned with the security, but, frankly, if some has gotten my laptop and broken into it, my DDO account is extremely low on my concerns list.

I can tell you that I currently utilize cygwin to let me one-click my login straight through character selection to game world. The process is all script-able (and still works.) So know my decision is between enduring the repeated password annoyance or the annoying cygwin instance boxes.

One last comment... minor bug. All of my accounts are showing up in the launcher as "Non-VIP" which is inaccurate.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

I am stuck at work, but am curious as to how this works. Does the option page pop up when you launch DDO or do you have to go into a certain option file to make it work?
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Vint View Post
    I am stuck at work, but am curious as to how this works. Does the option page pop up when you launch DDO or do you have to go into a certain option file to make it work?
    The latter.

Sort of standard window interface.
    There is an downward arrow in the toolbar (between the "EN" and "<Minimize>" buttons). Click it for a drop down menu and one of the choices is called "Options".
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I wonder if that new "repair" tab will help some players out with broken installations..
    I can see that Turbine is at least trying!

New? You've never looked at the old launcher and tabs have you. The only thing new I see there is multi instance support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    ... So know my decision is between enduring the repeated password annoyance or the annoying cygwin instance boxes...
    Glad to hear that cygwin still works.

But I like the Cygwin command window boxes... When DDO hangs, I can CTRL-ALT-DEL --> Start the task manager and kill the cmd window, which instantly brings ddo down. That's often much faster than waiting for it to come around and shutdown on its own.

Having the option from the official launcher probably means that some of my friends who didnt get around to setting up cygwin will dual box, so its a good thing. but I'm very glad to hear cygwin is still an option.

Community Member

I might do that. My Windows box is only used for DDO, and I've uninstalled everything else. My real computers all run Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    A quick check on this and it does look pretty good so far. Some comments :

- I have the ability to leave the launcher open, which is great, but I still need to enter my password in for each new instance, even though all three of my accounts use the same login.
    - The Launcher should really use a different task icon from the game itself. In fact, if there was a way to get different task icons for different instances... well... happiness would ensue.
    - I would like to make yet another call for being able to save my password. I know some folks are concerned with the security, but, frankly, if some has gotten my laptop and broken into it, my DDO account is extremely low on my concerns list.

I can tell you that I currently utilize cygwin to let me one-click my login straight through character selection to game world. The process is all script-able (and still works.) So know my decision is between enduring the repeated password annoyance or the annoying cygwin instance boxes.

One last comment... minor bug. All of my accounts are showing up in the launcher as "Non-VIP" which is inaccurate.
    Check my sig for a better option. Someone was kind enough to program a python command line launcher, which works natively in windows.

I also built up a customizable one-click GUI, if anyone is interested.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCakes View Post
    Indeed. Lets me save a couple GB of disk space and still have convenient access to my mules.
    is not multiboxing better when you run it from 2 different folders so that the 2 instances are not accessing the same folder? or does it make a difference at all? I thought I read something about it a long time ago that it makes each box instance run faster, although it (of course) occupies double the amount of space?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles216 View Post
    I might do that. My Windows box is only used for DDO, and I've uninstalled everything else. My real computers all run Linux.
    Up until 18.2 I've happily been running under Linux (thanks to WINE) as well as Windows... Not sure if it'll work, but might see if 18.3 patches and runs on the Linux box in the next day or so...

Edit: Tested, and with the PyLOTRO launcher it's still the same stable, quick to load game on Linux. Of course, the launcher part of the patch does absolutely nothing here, but that shouldn't be surprising, but the PyLOTRO launcher happily patched everything else.

So... unless you care about certain graphics features, such as DX10/11 there is now no requirement to keep Windows just to play DDO.
    Last edited by Meetch1972; 07-17-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Post test update
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by stoniar View Post
    is not multiboxing better when you run it from 2 different folders so that the 2 instances are not accessing the same folder? or does it make a difference at all? I thought I read something about it a long time ago that it makes each box instance run faster, although it (of course) occupies double the amount of space?
    Not typically. Same folder access would be faster. The OS caches files in memory, multiple folders would mean splitting up the cache across multiple processes.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

Default Multiboxing not working for me

I have ticked off the box for multiple game instances and yet I keep getting an error. Cannot get multiboxing enabled. Is there something else I might be missing.

Thank you for any help

You'll need to be more descriptive. What exactly do you do, and what exactly doesn't work? Error messages? What OS? etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mimmo View Post
    I have ticked off the box for multiple game instances and yet I keep getting an error. Cannot get multiboxing enabled. Is there something else I might be missing.
    Exactly what are you doing when you get the error, and what error is it?
    And you do need multiple accounts as well, if you didn't know that.

Community Member

OS= Win 7 64

Click launcher. Sign in with 1st account. Tab out. Click launcher. Sign in with 2nd account.

Game error - Connection failed: Can't bind local socket. Is another client running?
    Last edited by Mimmo; 07-21-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: additional information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast