Community Member

Default some questions from a new-ish player

so, I played for about a week a long time ago, and quit because I was completely lost as to what to do, and asking for assistance in the chat channels got me basically 'figure it out yourself'

so im giving the game another chance, but I have some questions.

do I actually NEED to purchase any of the previous expansions in order to play their content at this point, or will the sub fee allow me unfettered access?

is there any real downside to multiclassing? how many classes am I allowed to go into on a single character?

I've played for about a day now, and already my inventory is filling up with collectables and such. I see bags on the AH to allow better organization, but they're ludicrously expensive, any way to get this without having to pay through the nose for them (either TP or in-game cash, im not exactly rich here)

what's a good way to make some money aside from selling off vendor trash from quest drops?

leveling seems kinda slow, is there a way to speed it up without having to spam complete various missions?

thanks for your time

Community Member

You do still have to purchase the MotU expansion to have access as VIP. (Unless I really missed something along the way.)

Multi-classing removes the abilities you get from the top levels in one class for the abilities you get at a low level from another. In some cases this is a reasonable trade-off, in others it's bad. Your spells' effectiveness also depend on your caster level, which is the level in the casting class not your total level, so multi-classing hurts there too. Multi-classing's not all bad for all combinations for all classes. There are useful synergies and with the enhancement pass coming things will be changed-up a lot. You can have up to three different classes.

There are several free bags you can get. Mari Mosshand in the Harbor, by the stairs up to the Dinghy, will give you a free small red (collectible) and small blue (gem) bag. The crafting tutorial quest NPCs will give you a tiny green (ingredient) one; the most handy one is right by the market gate from the harbor. The patron representative of the Twelve in the Tower of the Twelve will give you a free small green bag as well. Vendors in House Jorasco and House Phiarlan also sell Medium collectible and gem bags, and small ingredient for ~9000pp.

Some of the collectibles should still have good value on the AH, and greater essences are probably around 200-250pp on /trade. The pawn brokers in the marketplace and House D and House K will give you about 50% (if you have no Haggle skill) more plat than vendors/barkeeps as well.

There are XP bonuses the first time you run a quest at each difficulty. If you run a quest for the first time ever (for a particular character) on Hard or Elite and are not more than two levels over the base (Normal) level of the quest, there's also another bonus, called the Bravery Bonus, and if you do that multiple quests in a row there's a bravery streak bonus. With a first-life character it's not critical to do the Elite streak, and you might actually take too much longer on Elite as a new player for it to be better XP/min. What does and does not break the streak is a little complicated. Running the quest again on a lower difficulty does not break the streak. Some quests can also be completed pretty much by just running to the end and avoiding as much fighting as possible, although you have to be careful with Dungeon Alert which complicates matters.

Hey there, and welcome (back) to DDO! Please see my answers below:

Quote Originally Posted by SkyfangRauss View Post
    so, I played for about a week a long time ago, and quit because I was completely lost as to what to do, and asking for assistance in the chat channels got me basically 'figure it out yourself'
    That's too bad no one was really that helpful DDO has a lot of depth to it, with a lot of things to learn, so my recommendation is to think about the character you would like to play, and then focus on making and building that character. A good resource if you have questions is ddowiki.com.

so im giving the game another chance, but I have some questions.

do I actually NEED to purchase any of the previous expansions in order to play their content at this point, or will the sub fee allow me unfettered access?
    No, you don't need to. If you purchase VIP access (which it sounds like you did, or are thinking about it) this will get you access to most of the content in DDO with one exception, the paid expansion into Forgotten Realms. The only way to go to the Forgotten Realms is to buy the expansion, but the good news is that this is a high level area. You can play the game just fine all the way up to level 20 without paying for the expansion. If you like DDO and stick with it, then you may want to consider buying it.

is there any real downside to multiclassing? how many classes am I allowed to go into on a single character?
    Yes. It's easy to mess up. Each character class has various advantages and disadvantages to them. Some work well with others, and some do not. Multiclassing a character can be fun, but it's very easy to mess up. Generally speaking you want to really understand what you are getting from multiclassing vs. not multiclassing. My recommendation is to not multiclass at first. Select one character class that sounds appealing to you and stick with that. Creating a good multiclass character really takes some thought and planning and if not done properly you could end up with a character that doesn't do well because you didn't know how certain game mechanics worked. If you do decide to multiclass, you can have a max of 3 classes.

I've played for about a day now, and already my inventory is filling up with collectables and such. I see bags on the AH to allow better organization, but they're ludicrously expensive, any way to get this without having to pay through the nose for them (either TP or in-game cash, im not exactly rich here)
    You need to think about what gear is being helpful to you, and what is not. There is a lot of gear in DDO that will not benefit your character. Unless it's clear what benefit it is giving you, just sell it. If you're not sure what benefit an item is to you from reading the in-game description, I recommend to look it up on ddowiki.

what's a good way to make some money aside from selling off vendor trash from quest drops?
    Level up. The higher level you get, the more expensive the items are that you'll be able to sell off. If you get towards max level, you can make a lot of money simply be questing. One good thing to make a little extra money is to sell your loot at brokers, instead of vendors. Jewelry and Clothing brokers are in the marketplace, the weapons broker is in house D, and the armor broker is in house K. It can be a bit of running around, so if you want to save some time, just go to the weapons broker in house D and only sell your excess weapons. Another place to make money is to sell sought after gear on the auction house. The trick is in learning what gear people might want and how much they might be willing to pay. It can take a bit of learning to figure it out, so I recommend the brokers at first.

leveling seems kinda slow, is there a way to speed it up without having to spam complete various missions?

thanks for your time
    Yes, there are ways to speed up leveling, but what's your rush? Take your time to enjoy the quests and in playing. Learn how to play the game. Generally speaking, you can speed up leveling by playing at higher difficulty levels, getting in a group with experienced players, figure out which quests give the best XP, etc, however that means that the quests will be more difficult and if you join an experienced group most likely they will expect you to keep up. There's nothing more frustrating then trying to keep up, not know where everyone ran off to, feel like you're not contributing, etc. Instead, try quests on normal at first, and find other people interested in running on normal, even if it's just one other person. Once you think you're ready, then start trying quests on hard. You'll get bonus XP, and if you keep running quests on hard you'll build up a hard streak which will give you more XP per quest.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmeth View Post
    No, you don't need to. If you purchase VIP access (which it sounds like you did, or are thinking about it) this will get you access to most of the content in DDO with one exception, the paid expansion into Forgotten Realms. The only way to go to the Forgotten Realms is to buy the expansion, but the good news is that this is a high level area. You can play the game just fine all the way up to level 20 without paying for the expansion. If you like DDO and stick with it, then you may want to consider buying it.
    That's not true. I got a character to Eveningstar two nights ago, and I don't own the expansion. All you need to do to get there is run the Lords of Dust quest chain, which you get free access to as a VIP. Once there, you can run the Eveningstar Challenges.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Check out these new player tips:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Community Member

so, I played for about a week a long time ago, and quit because I was completely lost as to what to do
    Press P to see a list of quests you can do (yourlevel+2; location, difficulty and questgiver too). This helped me a lot when I started to play a few weeks ago and it still does.

When you finish all quests for the coin-lords in the harbor and one or two more in the marketplace, you should have enough favor to get the 4th inventory bag. You can also use your bank (20 slots) and shared bank (20 more slots) to store items.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

VIPs (subscribers) have access to all content except the MotU expansion, which has to be purchased separately by everyone. Presumably the same will be true of Shadowfell.

Note: everyone can go to Eveningstar just by running the WoC chain + Beyond the Rift, which are F2P quests. VIPs w/out MotU can still run the Druid's Deep and High Road quests, IIRC
    MCing sacrifices a class's capstone, which you can only get by staying pure. Not all capstones are equally useful; it's a question of one's build goals as to whether or not MCing is worth it.

The only restrictions: no more than three classes totaling 20 levels - e.g., 12 / 6 / 2 is a popular split for a lot of builds (epic lvls are classless & provide the same bonuses to everyone); and alignment constraints are in effect - paladins must be lawful good, monks must be lawful, druids must be at least partially neutral, barbs & bards must be non-lawful.

That said, I recommend finding a pure or mostly-pure build which appeals to you and sticking with it. MCing isn't for the faint of heart; and there's a major overhaul to the Enhancement system in the works, which is gonna mess with traditional MCed builds somethin' fierce. So staying (nigh-)pure is probably the best way of future-proofing yourself.
    There are larger bags available, but there aren't any inexpensive options, unfortunately. And the DDO Store bags are BtC; no buying one set then passing them between alts. That said, there is no requirement to pick up every collectible; most of them aren't worth the hassle, IMHO, so feel free to skip them, unless you want to -
    - make plat farming for rare collectibles to sell on the AH. Kind of a double-edged sword. Otherwise, your best bet is just to keep leveling; higher-lvl quests means more valuable trash loot & ingredient drops.
    Bravery bonuses are your best option, esp. if you become a VIP; one of the perks is being able to unlock Hard & Elite difficulties right off the bat. There are other ways of boosting XP, like finishing optional bonuses, XP tomes & pots, etc.