Default What will it take to get rid of Awesomoium.exe? Donate button!

Hey dev's!!

Please tell me someone is on the case for fixing multi-multi-multi copied instances of un-awesomness.exe.

Somehow, wether it be turbine or warner bros. You want an Idea what I would pay money for? A donate button on the DDO store/website/ launcher/ whatever... to hire programmers to write a functional replacement for that junkware program.

its eating large chunks outa my memory and cycling on an off all the time. You need more money to fix it? Fine.
    you need more money to replace it? great.

YOu leave it be? well. My comp isnt perfect. 8 years old. But my athlon 64 has done great for a long time at highest settings. but my 2gb memory is being assaulted. And these issues only occur in ddo.

I hope you guys get your techies to work. Hire if ya need em.

furb

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Furbitor View Post
    Hey dev's!!

Please tell me someone is on the case for fixing multi-multi-multi copied instances of un-awesomness.exe.

Somehow, wether it be turbine or warner bros. You want an Idea what I would pay money for? A donate button on the DDO store/website/ launcher/ whatever... to hire programmers to write a functional replacement for that junkware program.

its eating large chunks outa my memory and cycling on an off all the time. You need more money to fix it? Fine.

YOu leave it be? well. My comp isnt perfect. 8 years old. But my athlon 64 has done great for a long time at highest settings. but my 2gb memory is being assaulted. And these issues only occur in ddo.

furb

Isn't it just google chrome doing that?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    Isn't it just google chrome doing that?
    Don't tell me you haven't notice the threads like this:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...is-inefficient

Community Member

Hey dev's!!

furb
    Easy way to fix is to close out DDO when you finish playing. Not sure why you are concerned about how much memory it consumes while playing DDO. I mean are you running high memory programs in the background while playing DDO. Do you even know what awesomness.exe does. Its a go between Web UI content and any C++ or .NET application. Its not even a Turbine .exe. They just use it so that the DDO store can communicate between your web browser and DDO which uses the .Net client.

http://awesomium.com/#about

hmmm the donate to remove/improve stuff idea. Maybe this can also a way for WB to make more money off bugs in the game as well? You want bug fixes? pull out the credit card guys!!!..

I quad box. I have 16gb of ram. Running all four starts off at about 950mb each (which obviously expands over time. With the four running I have 28 of these other processes running using approximately 550-600mb in total. Is it killing me? not at all. Is it annoying? sure! I could totally see someone with low ram being a bit miffed. Would I pay to have them fix it... not really.

Been playing since I posted and now DDO instance are 1.2gb a piece and the awesome processes are slightly higher than before.

Hey dev's!!

stuff

furb
    Awesomium == Chrome

Chrome also has multiple processes typically 2 + the number of open tabs.

Separating the processes from the main application reduces the memory consumption of the main DDO process (which is getting bigger and harder to fit into a 32 bit address space).

They used to embed firefox before they switched to Chrome, firefox is not any better on memory usage and in my experience its actually worse (not to mention slower).

Separating Chrome out into it separate processes instead of leaving firefox embedded in the main process probably allowed your old computer to run DDO for a bit longer, those processes if you don't use them (help/store/monster manual/etc), will consume very little CPU, and the memory used by them will be paged to disk.

I have worked with Awesomium, it is just an easy to use wrapper around Chrome to aid developers in embedding it in their applications.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post
    Awesomium == Chrome

Chrome also has multiple processes typically 2 + the number of open tabs.

Separating the processes from the main application reduces the memory consumption of the main DDO process (which is getting bigger and harder to fit into a 32 bit address space).

They used to embed firefox before they switched to Chrome, firefox is not any better on memory usage and in my experience its actually worse (not to mention slower).

Separating Chrome out into it separate processes instead of leaving firefox embedded in the main process probably allowed your old computer to run DDO for a bit longer, those processes if you don't use them (help/store/monster manual/etc), will consume very little CPU, and the memory used by them will be paged to disk.

I have worked with Awesomium, it is just an easy to use wrapper around Chrome to aid developers in embedding it in their applications.
    That's nice that you've worked on this stuff before and all, but honestly you don't have a clue what you're talking about. This thing has extremely high CPU usage that has been proven to not be necessary for the actual store to work. Whether it's because it's not as good as you think it is, or because turbine implemented it poorly, it honestly doesn't matter to the players.

Spend a little bit of time observing perfmon and see how much CPU time these processes actually use. Every few seconds, the usage spikes up to ~10% on a 5 Ghz watercooled ivy bridge (essentially the fastest consumer grade CPU). Just thinking about the performance hit on an older single core machine makes me cringe.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Spend a little bit of time observing perfmon and see how much CPU time these processes actually use. Every few seconds, the usage spikes up to ~10% on a 5 Ghz watercooled ivy bridge (essentially the fastest consumer grade CPU). Just thinking about the performance hit on an older single core machine makes me cringe.
    Generally 100% every six seconds when the "rogue" process spikes on my single core. I generally shut the rogue down as soon as I get in game and have not noticed any ill effects and the other 6 seem to behave themselves and actually do something useful.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default Nothing will come of this

Awesomium is here to stay and will be implemented in the laziest fashion possible. My guess, when the update comes out in August, we just might get MORE awesomium processes instead of less.

Khrona is a spinoff from Google.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Thumbs down

...a donate button on the DDO store/website/ launcher/ whatever... to hire programmers to write a functional replacement for...furb
    ...wouldn't little button require yet another Awesomium.exe to function...?

That's nice that you've worked on this stuff before and all, but honestly you don't have a clue what you're talking about. This thing has extremely high CPU usage that has been proven to not be necessary for the actual store to work. Whether it's because it's not as good as you think it is, or because turbine implemented it poorly, it honestly doesn't matter to the players.

I have and haven't noticed any spiking. Maybe there is something wrong with your rig? Only time I have seen them break 5% is when I open the store or the monster manual or whatever. So going back to embedded slow-fox and using more memory in the main process would be better?

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

yeah it's not great the way awesomium works but this is just an i3 mobile processor. Not exactly extreme usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post
    I have and haven't noticed any spiking. Maybe there is something wrong with your rig? Only time I have seen them break 5% is when I open the store or the monster manual or whatever. So going back to embedded slow-fox and using more memory in the main process would be better?
    You need to be more observant, because lots of other people have noticed it.

After the update, people started making threads about really strange periodic spiking. The problem was easily traced back to a particular awesomonium that seemed to do nothing and wasn't required for store function. Since you've worked with this, maybe you can figure out whats wrong. There are some hints here:

-Dual boxing, only 1 of 12 processes is spiking.
    -Spiking doesn't occur right away upon startup, only after a few minutes of playing/store usage
    -Spiking seems to increase as memory usage increases

It doesn't affect me in the slightest though, because my rig is awesome and I can 12-box no problem if I really wanted to. Just saying.

You need to be more observant, because lots of other people have noticed it.

After the update, people started making threads about really strange periodic spiking. The problem was easily traced back to a particular awesomonium that seemed to do nothing and wasn't required for store function. Since you've worked with this, maybe you can figure out whats wrong. There are some hints here:

-Dual boxing, only 1 of 12 processes is spiking.
    -Spiking doesn't occur right away upon startup, only after a few minutes of playing/store usage
    -Spiking seems to increase as memory usage increases

It doesn't affect me in the slightest though, because my rig is awesome and I can 12-box no problem if I really wanted to. Just saying.
    You're right there is a spike there, not enough for me to notice when playing, and I didn't notice it at first because I was looking at average usages.