Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Epics...

Community Member

Default Old Epics...

Are we going to see 3rd completion rewards on the shard/seal/scroll system? It's pretty much horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    Are we going to see 3rd completion rewards on the shard/seal/scroll system? It's pretty much horrible...
    Who cares this stuff is now so out of date

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DogMania View Post
    Well, there are still some slots that it matters...

Since it's 90% trash, they should just drop the actual items...

But.. That being said, with 28 around the corner, and a new loot system too. I'm curious what the point of all this 'old' grind is. Delete all the shards/seals/scrolls, just have them drop.

Drop epic tokens in NEW content, since you still need those for TR.

I personally like the old epic system, gave reason to repeat the quests over again. I think the seal,scroll and shard system is the better than the new systems. Some of the old epics are still the most difficult quests to do on leet for group content (like chains in sands) Its a shame they have not updated some of this loot, most of the ran gen loot is better than the old epic loot now.
    Ainur Wer'lak Thelanis

Personally, I would change the loot tables to give us the complete items in chest instead of shard/seals. It's not like people are actually excited for completing the set for an epic Chainmail Coif.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Some of it is out of date, certainly, but other items are still very tasty in their particular niche - epic golden guile for example is still awesome & the single highest potential source of bluff in the entire game (up to +30), epic antique greataxe is a great universal beater, eSOS is still the standard by which all other dps items are judged, epic blademarks docent is a very solid piece of kit (especially for an artie's dog) & there's a few other pieces too.

having said that, a decent increase to the drop rates on the pieces & having a small chance (maybe equivalent to the current shard/seal drop chance) of having a completed version of the item appear in the chests would be very nice.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Just go ahead and put them all for sale in the DDO store. Come on Turbine, you know you want to. That way all you folks who like to buy your Exp stones, elixers, jewels of fortune, skill/stat tomes and all that stuff just so you can be teh uberz without playing the game. The rest of us can go on about our business grinding away blissfully. We all get what we want. Sure, I'd love it if the DDO store only sold content and cosmetics, but that isn't gonna happen. Instead just make it so everyone can just buy everything they want immediately so at least I won't have to see more posts about the game is too hard.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEmperorDragon View Post
    Just go ahead and put them all for sale in the DDO store. Come on Turbine, you know you want to. That way all you folks who like to buy your Exp stones, elixers, jewels of fortune, skill/stat tomes and all that stuff just so you can be teh uberz without playing the game. The rest of us can go on about our business grinding away blissfully. We all get what we want. Sure, I'd love it if the DDO store only sold content and cosmetics, but that isn't gonna happen. Instead just make it so everyone can just buy everything they want immediately so at least I won't have to see more posts about the game is too hard.
    Don't you just love it when you post a perfectly reasonable thread on the forums and some angry poster comes in bit**ing and complaining about something that has absolutely nothing to do with your post?

There is nothing, and I mean nothing hard about farming old epic items anymore. It's just a tedious grind 90% of the time. People asking about this system aren't asking for some P2w option. Really, I would love to have an EThornlord. This used to be the holy grail of items in DDO. Rarer than an ESOS, and the best bow you could ever get your hands on. Now though? Why should I spend possibly years farming a bow that really I'll only use as a lazy DR breaker, because slotting my pinion with 1d10 cold damage is more DPS for trash mobs/Non DR bosses?

I wouldn't mind the system staying the same if from now on, all new content had a scroll/seal/shard process, and all the old epic items got a bit of a revamp.

As it stands though, I have trouble finding a reason to farm the few old epic items I would still want to make, because time/reward isn't worth it.
    Farming 2 EChaosBlades for my fighter life would be awesome! But the time sink that would involve when I have 2 perfectly good drow Khopesh in the bank? Kind of makes me look at them and say "Meh, whatever".
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Are you saying that every single caster in the game should have Epic Ring of Spell Storing?

The Old Epic system was the perfect system (sadly new packs don't have it).
    Drop rates could be slightly increased though (some of my friends don't do ADQ at all since RoSS shard never drops).
    I mean:
    - if drop rate is too high then nobody will do that raid,
    - but if drop rate is too low then many won't do it, because no point to waste their time there.
    If in the next 60 runs I won't get that shard then I'll abandon ADQ too (I have several casters who need it, but if 100 runs is not enough for one caster then meh, bye bye).

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    There is nothing, and I mean nothing hard about farming old epic items anymore. It's just a tedious grind 90% of the time. People asking about this system aren't asking for some P2w option. Really, I would love to have an EThornlord. This used to be the holy grail of items in DDO. Rarer than an ESOS, and the best bow you could ever get your hands on. Now though? Why should I spend possibly years farming a bow that really I'll only use as a lazy DR breaker, because slotting my pinion with 1d10 cold damage is more DPS for trash mobs/Non DR bosses?
    Fully upgraded Pinion gets red augment slot and you can put Good there. But mobs' DR is not high, so meh (you hit Harry for 1200 dmg after 35 was blocked by DR, lol).
    Vote for DDO, The exact trap DCs in EE HH, A guide for DDO-ML, Unknown Heroes: 3rd place, TR Cache Button, Loot Design, Welcome to Orien: /joinchannel Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    This is the most perfect suggestion in the history of suggestions, and it is full of upsides for both players and servers.

My vote would be for them to just drop the finished items. It's not like they would be overpowered in the current DDO environment by any means.

It's obvious from DDO's current system that the shard/seal/scroll system wasn't their choice to go forward with, I hope that at some point these old items can be brought up to a more current gameplay standard.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRobai View Post

Fully upgraded Pinion gets red augment slot and you can put Good there. But mobs' DR is not high, so meh (you hit Harry for 1200 dmg after 35 was blocked by DR, lol).
    You hit harry with a tactical nuke, he's tough so he doesn't melt the first .0000001 second but the .0000002

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by danotmano1998 View Post

It's obvious from DDO's current system that the shard/seal/scroll system wasn't their choice to go forward with, I hope that at some point these old items can be brought up to a more current gameplay standard.
    This only means old devs are gone and new devs have arrived with their own ideas (no judging good/bad).

And I prefer seal/shard/scroll system over EE or G.T.F.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Actually, some of the old epic items are quite useful at level 20, for instance the AGA, you cant use a cleaver till level 23 so its quite useful till then, and afterwards as a dr breaker. The problem is that the shard/scroll drop rate has becom abysmal to say the least. Either up the drop rate siginifically or let the items become a 3rd chain completion reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider1963 View Post
    Actually, some of the old epic items are quite useful at level 20, for instance the AGA, you cant use a cleaver till level 23 so its quite useful till then, and afterwards as a dr breaker. The problem is that the shard/scroll drop rate has becom abysmal to say the least. Either up the drop rate siginifically or let the items become a 3rd chain completion reward.
    I could not agree more. I think after YEARS of running this stuff I finally pulled a shard and can actually make the Epic Axe, I was honestly very excited until I took a really good look at it.

All that excitement turned to "meh" I can only make the one and have 3 toons that could use it and am having trouble deciding which one to put it on because I am not sure how useful it will be over what they have acquired in the time it took to get the 3.

Epic Torc, Epic Ring of Spell Storing.... frick that. Their drop rates are even WORSE that the house P stuff, they are very good items to have for sure but there is no way in Hell I am spending the 100's perhaps 1000+ hours it would take to get the parts for them.

Now add them in as a 3rd, hell even a 5th run completion reward honestly I would take 10th run reward and it is suddenly content that would be worth running.

I think it would be nice if they just upgraded the old epic items by adding an upgradable tier to them or something. Bring their minimum level up to 24 or more with the upgrade. Make it cost commendations of heroisim (add the coms to other epic raids) or use the old epic tokens to do it. Something along those lines. If they just dropped as finished items, the majority of them would still be worthless in end game anyway, so I don't think that would solve the problem with old epic items. Especially with the cap increase to come.
    Sixclicks Fighter | Sixclickz Ice Savant | Sixcliks Pale Master | Sixclix Barbarian
    Nightstalkr Assassin | Warpocalypse Arcane Archer
    Member of The House of MANGAR

Community Member

/Not signed any revamp of old epic items..make new items and new quest instead
    /Signed any way to get them a bit faster (no point in grinding a level 20 item now)

Community Member

It would be awesome to see a means of upgrading our old Eberon Epic Gear,say boosting it's min Lvl to 24.
    At the end of the day old school epic gear is so much harder to obtain than this new "Kitset" stuff we get from epics today.

Breathing life into old packs isn't necessarily a bad idea, many of the old epic quests are some of the best in the game giving a players a reason to revisit them would be good.

I'm not really for receiving completed old school epic items, I'm not a fan of this, I am though all for an increase in drop rates of the seals and shards.

Just a thought:
    -Maybe they should Epic the Sands Explorer area and give us upgrade materials from there as well as new rare encounters, items and XP......
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Yes every single caster in the game should have an epic torc and epic ring of spell storing.

But only after they complete EDQ 20 times per item.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Yes every single caster in the game should have an epic torc and epic ring of spell storing.

But only after they complete EDQ 20 times per item.
    Better make sure its not the only Torc you have before you Epic it.......

So make that 60 Heroic Runs and 20 Epic hehe.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Well, there are still some slots that it matters...

Since it's 90% trash, they should just drop the actual items...

But.. That being said, with 28 around the corner, and a new loot system too. I'm curious what the point of all this 'old' grind is. Delete all the shards/seals/scrolls, just have them drop.

Drop epic tokens in NEW content, since you still need those for TR.
    Just my opinion:

Transform all epics to oldschool epic loot system, delete all epic/epic hard items from players (as they don't deserve to be called 'epic', preserve epic elite items, rename them to epic, drop shards/scroll/seals/items only in epic elite and maybe bring back one difficulty epic system consistent for all epic areas.

Oldschool epic rules!
    Last edited by morkahn82; 07-26-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast