Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 161
  1. #81
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Aren't you bored out of your skull? What do you do to keep the game fun? Serious question.
    Likely by playing slower and less. How is TRing any less boring than not? Also a serious question because I find everything much the same or easier on my TR than on other characters since the game's the same and my character is a smidgeon better with top end gear waiting in most cases.

  2. #82
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Likely by playing slower and less. How is TRing any less boring than not? Also a serious question because I find everything much the same or easier on my TR than on other characters since the game's the same and my character is a smidgeon better with top end gear waiting in most cases.
    That's why some make a game out of getting there faster and faster.

  3. #83
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You mean back when the game was dying and wayfinder would've looked like an active server?
    Which is a myth.

    The game was far more easy to group in during those years. 9 raids in the first 2 years. They havent released the same number since then, which is 5 more years. It just didnt attract alot of NEW players because of the mismanagement by ATARI, and the lack of content release, lack of marketing etc.

    Suggesting/implying theres some relationship between the games survival and players dependance on guild buffs is absurd, as is the implication that players would quit or the game wouldnt attract new players simply due to not being able to buff 30 point resists at level 1.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  4. #84
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drus-the-Axe View Post
    Do you see it as a good one?
    Outside of some balance issues with resists (which have always been kind of wonky IMO due to their static amount functionality), yes. Not a great solution, but great solutions generally are not cost effective due to the amount of code that needs to be rewritten to implement them. So call it a positive band-aid solution from Turbines perspective.

    Do I think they personally improve my game? Outside of possibly allowing it to exist, not really.

  5. #85
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Which is a myth.

    The game was far more easy to group in during those years. 9 raids in the first 2 years. They havent released the same number since then, which is 5 more years. It just didnt attract alot of NEW players because of the mismanagement by ATARI, and the lack of content release, lack of marketing etc.

    Suggesting/implying theres some relationship between the games survival and players dependance on guild buffs is absurd, as is the implication that players would quit or the game wouldnt attract new players simply due to not being able to buff 30 point resists at level 1.
    I agree with the mismanagement by atari. However with how they're not doing as well with raids ext already don't you think that any change that makes things harder on new players is probably a bad change?

  6. #86
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Which is a myth.

    The game was far more easy to group in during those years. 9 raids in the first 2 years. They havent released the same number since then, which is 5 more years. It just didnt attract alot of NEW players because of the mismanagement by ATARI, and the lack of content release, lack of marketing etc.

    Suggesting/implying theres some relationship between the games survival and players dependance on guild buffs is absurd, as is the implication that players would quit or the game wouldnt attract new players simply due to not being able to buff 30 point resists at level 1.
    That specific relationship, maybe. But in general, lets just say the game not attracting new players might have had something to do with the amount of, often needless, complexity the game inherited from it's forebear. Simply because needless complexity, particularly adding more was D&D's bread and butter (see Pun-Pun for how that sold books) due to just selling the game and not being able to also control game play.

  7. #87
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I agree with the mismanagement by atari. However with how they're not doing as well with raids ext already don't you think that any change that makes things harder on new players is probably a bad change?
    can things get any harder for them? it seems any changes that happen favor the soloists and new players. everyone else either accepts it or not.

  8. #88
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I agree with the mismanagement by atari. However with how they're not doing as well with raids ext already don't you think that any change that makes things harder on new players is probably a bad change?
    No, and heres why.

    I do NOT believe the game is too hard without 30 point resists at level 1. If we believe it is, then by that logic, when 30 point resists become a mere formality around the teen levels, this too would discourage new players. I dont believe this is the case either. The level 1-7 game is designed for people to not have access to resists that easily. Most if not all of those quests were designed in an era when guild ships and resist shrines did not exist, 2006-2008.

    The people that benefit from guild buffs the most are the TR junkies, not the new players. It gives them an extra layer of invulnerability as they plow content with xp/min being the main goal. New players are running content that was designed for them to not have gear or buffs, at a slow to moderate pace right off the bat. They arent concerned with zerging the harbor in an hour or two to gain as much xp in as little time as possible.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  9. #89
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    That specific relationship, maybe. But in general, lets just say the game not attracting new players might have had something to do with the amount of, often needless, complexity the game inherited from it's forebear. Simply because needless complexity, particularly adding more was D&D's bread and butter (see Pun-Pun for how that sold books) due to just selling the game and not being able to also control game play.
    I would argue that this same level of complexity is what keeps the niche players here for such a long time, so I would hardly call it needless. The more they wear that complexity down, the more this game looks like a clone of those other games, including the other game that has a D&D name but lacks any other D&D cred other than the licensing of the name itself. Is the vision of this game to blend in with the clone MMO genre, or is it to make the game stand out from the rest?

    Pun Pun (as well as all other "endless loop" builds which demonstrate the broke-ness of how splat material affects a core edition) is the result of joining rules from splat and core material from different eras in the same edition. This kind of building is neither relatively complex nor entertaining in the long term, and it certainly is not attainable here in DDO.

    This game has survived on that niche level of complexity youre saying is an issue here. If it tried to blend in with the rest of the clones, it likely would have either not survived, or would not have been made in the first place, as Turbine already has a runner up in the clone MMO genre, LOTRO. The complexity of DDO is something to be embraced, and not shunned. It makes the game stand out from, rather than blend in with, the other elevendy bajillion clone games that already exist.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  10. #90
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I would argue that this same level of complexity is what keeps the niche players here for such a long time, so I would hardly call it needless. The more they wear that complexity down, the more this game looks like a clone of those other games, including the other game that has a D&D name but lacks any other D&D cred other than the licensing of the name itself. Is the vision of this game to blend in with the clone MMO genre, or is it to make the game stand out from the rest?

    Pun Pun (as well as all other "endless loop" builds which demonstrate the broke-ness of how splat material affects a core edition) is the result of joining rules from splat and core material from different eras in the same edition. This kind of building is neither relatively complex nor entertaining in the long term, and it certainly is not attainable here in DDO.

    This game has survived on that niche level of complexity youre saying is an issue here. If it tried to blend in with the rest of the clones, it likely would have either not survived, or would not have been made in the first place, as Turbine already has a runner up in the clone MMO genre, LOTRO. The complexity of DDO is something to be embraced, and not shunned. It makes the game stand out from, rather than blend in with, the other elevendy bajillion clone games that already exist.
    Then I guess you think the complexity was done better than I do. Personally, I don't think a game needs 15 ways to do the same thing (think; dance, hold, stun, trip, entangle, web, etcetera). I personally don't think enough forethought was put into stacking rules. If character customization was tax code it would be an accountants wet dream as it has to little cost to avoid baseline weaknesses and to many ways to buff baseline strengths as well as adding utility in the process. Not enough though was put into modifying those iconic D&D things to fit in with their AI and other tech.

  11. #91
    Hero JOTMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Orillia, Ontario
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalimah View Post
    Death Ward. Red light. Green light. GO!

    Green Light = haste
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

    Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

  12. #92
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I have been here for 3 years and I can count number of pallies/rangers that offered resists/foms to help the divine on one hand. Some divines are just inexperienced and auto buff with everything but at the end they are usually the ones doing ALL THE BLOODY BUFFING.
    Then you're playing with the wrong damn people. One most raids in Argo, take shroud for instance when people are calling out buffs before last portal, if there is a ranger in the group they are asked to pass fire/fom. They do this 98% of the time. The other 2% are multiclass builds who don't have the SP, or the actual caster levels to make there resists useful.

    Same with Pali's, although they don't usually have the SP pool rangers do to buf an entire raid group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We need our SP to heal ourselves.
    Seriously, people bring healers into groups on purpose?
    While funny, I don't agree with this 100%.
    Any ranger should have more than enough SP to not only pass what relevant buffs they have to the party, but to also heal themselves after. It's not a crime to drink a pot or 3 on a ranger when the need calls for it. (It should not be that often though. Once in a blue moon, or in any given CITW run that is BYOH, or only has 1 healer. Those eye beams are a pita.)
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  13. #93
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I would argue that this same level of complexity is what keeps the niche players here for such a long time, so I would hardly call it needless. The more they wear that complexity down, the more this game looks like a clone of those other games, including the other game that has a D&D name but lacks any other D&D cred other than the licensing of the name itself. Is the vision of this game to blend in with the clone MMO genre, or is it to make the game stand out from the rest?
    This^. Excellent point.

  14. #94
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    This^. Excellent point.
    Yes because buying the resists from house p is so much different and more involved and dnd ish than clicking a shrine on your guild ship.

  15. #95
    Community Member thomascoolone64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    169

    Default

    hey ProducerRowan, I recently had an issue with my previous account after i Purchased the Shadowfell pack and i cant play that account anymore... and my dad isnt paying for another purchase again... And i would like a Closed beta invite... I am a Beta Tester since Um ..... 2007 and it would not be fair if i suddenly lost the ability to play beta just for some account issue(.. It got locked down for good for Multiple hacking issues) but i will be honest... I am Really Sad to be pushed out of playing beta just for some New content( THAT I PREVIOUSLY BOUGHT) I want to be able to play again. :'(

    P.S, Ive been Crying ever since Beta became closed, Please Help Me :'(.

    P.S.S I Miss You SqueakOfdoom. , It would make me 30% more happier if someone would tell me an exact and Accurate date of closed beta end...

    ~ Titan
    Last edited by thomascoolone64; 07-16-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    Back up account to "Buttkierownsmade"

    I am Titan.

  16. #96
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,380

    Default

    Ship buffs: I don't see the issue here. You state you rarely use them so now you don't want others to use the ship buffs? Those are optional already.

    Stones of XP: Turbine would know what % of people buy those, but based on forum comments I believe it's very small. For those that do buy boxes, some run in static groups/guild runs/solo which has no impact on LFMs. So the people left are people that buy boxes and use the LFM system. This is not a large enough population to impact anything. Turbine would have the data to know for sure.

    Bravery Bonus: The only problem here is that the system strongly encourages everyone to run every quest on elite. I would like to see raids excluded from BB so we would see more lower-level raids run at the level.

    Your opinions are as valid as any, but these changes would probably disappoint more people than it would please. I see no benefit to the game.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

    Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

  17. #97
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Deadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Then I guess you think the complexity was done better than I do. Personally, I don't think a game needs 15 ways to do the same thing (think; dance, hold, stun, trip, entangle, web, etcetera).
    You have to be kidding me, right?

    With a rich set of race and class combinations, you think that we should reduce the variety of effects possible, because they basically do similiar things? Flavour and lore mean nothing to you?

    We have a level of complexity and with the new enhancement introducing things like doubleshot and increased in sneak and PBS range, that complexity isn't going away. For me, that is great news.

    What we do need is a total revamp of the character sheet to make it clearer to new players and vets alike what these numbers are, and get rid of the reverse engineering of test results to try and decipher whether things actually work or not.

  18. #98
    Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    TARTARUS
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    What we do need is a total revamp of the character sheet to make it clearer to new players and vets alike what these numbers are, and get rid of the reverse engineering of test results to try and decipher whether things actually work or not.
    What, you mean you don't enjoy standing on your ship for hours attacking the dummy over and over to test if the numbers given on items/enhancements are indeed correct, and apply the right % to whatever?

    Personally I loved emptying my quivers repeatedly testing my ROF on my AA, time and time again...

    Seriously though, I agree with you 100%. Complexity is a wonderful thing in this game, but the devs should make it easier for the player to keep track of these things.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

  19. #99
    Community Member Kalimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Green Light = haste
    Sure enough, really unless you get a bard-- I generally look for a deathward, rage, haste and lets rock. The otherr buffs are situational and for the most part not needed.

  20. #100
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Likely by playing slower and less. How is TRing any less boring than not? Also a serious question because I find everything much the same or easier on my TR than on other characters since the game's the same and my character is a smidgeon better with top end gear waiting in most cases.
    So your solution to avoid boredom in DDO . . . is to not play it?


    TRing is easier than anything else but I still find it fun as you see a larger variety of content than the same 10 quests/raids over and over again.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload