Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Default I posted this on our FB guild page.

Hope you don't mind.
    I thought it was too good not to share.

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Cool Posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    Hope you don't mind.
    I thought it was too good not to share.
    I don't mind at all. I'm writing to satisfy my itch for creative writing but it's way more fun with an audience. Especially an interactive audience.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Post Day Fifty-Two: The Braza Farm

With all the orcs still setting up ambushes, I had to take a big detour through the jungle to avoid several of them. I ended up on a different road by late afternoon and met up with a farmer named Nash Braza. The poor guy had been driven off his farm by a band of orcs. I’ve already rescued one group from these marauders, may as well make it two.

Past Nash’s makeshift campsite I head up the road keeping an eye out for those orcs. Soon enough I saw a couple of sentries. I guessed it was time to take a few more out before they could sneak up on me later. It worked at the orc fort a couple of days ago.

The road got very rough with all the boulders. Nash must have a tough time getting his produce to market if he’s got to navigate around and over so many of them. Eventually, I came to the gate at Nash’s farm. It had been blocked off and judging from the smoke, the orcs had lit his house on fire. It was odd that I didn’t see any orcs milling around.

I had to get the fire out before the house was burned completely to the ground. I rushed over to Nash’s water tower and opened the valve to pour the water down onto his house. That was a big mistake. I should have scouted the farm first. A hord of orcs jumped out of nowhere and rushed me.

That bunch of brutes was definitely more than I could handle. I had to get out and get to higher ground where I could pick them off one at a time. Hoping for a back-way out of the farm, I circled around the house. No luck, and a horde of angry orcs chasing me the whole time.

A mad rush through part of the horde and I had a clear line for the gate. I was hoping to find a more defendable position in the jungle. Across that bridge I saw earlier was a likely place. I was hoping that forcing the orcs to cross a bridge would slow them down. It worked, mostly. I had to run again to avoid getting overwhelmed again. After My second stand, I was able to take out all the orcs that followed me.

I headed back to the farm to catch any stragglers before going back to tell Nash it was safe for him to go home.

Community Member

Got some catching up to do with your journey. Keep it up. It's nice to see a Dungeons and Dragons character. :-)
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrad View Post
    I assume he means it will no longer show in the general section once it gets pushed back to page 2 or more, as new posts won't bump it up. And unfortunately this section of the forum doesn't seem to get much views at all.
    Yep, this is what I meant.

Default Day Fifty-Four: OMG I just died!

After spending two days and two nights fighting orcs and crawling through muck in the wilderness outside of Stormreach, I finally got back to the leaky dingy; exhosted, smelling of orc and god knows what else.

The owner recognizes me through all the filth and I don't even have to say a word. He ushers me into the back room with promises of hot bathwater in moments and a private room with fresh linens when I'm done. "Fresh" at this place wouldn't come close to passing my grandmother's definition but it's a whole lot better than anything I've seen since I was last here.

As I wait for the staff to fill the tub, I did rudimentary cleaning of my weapons and equipment. - Anything that's going to encourage rust has to be cleaned right way. The caked on dirt can wait until morning. - As soon as the tub was filled and the staff had left me in peace, I slipped out of the last of my clothing and into the inviting steaming tub.

The hot water and scent of soap is so relaxing. After a good scrub I laid back to just relax. I could faintly hear the chatter from the common room in the distance. My eyes closed as I listened. Faintly in the background the rolling waves in the harbor create a soothing noise to counterpoint the distant excitement of the common room.

Standing on the pier back where I met that Pearl girl. It's morning again. This time there is some frantic sea captain begging everyone with a sword to help him rescue his crew. The dawn is so beautiful and this huge brute of a barbarian is jumping up and down just itching for a fight. Giving in to his excitement and the desperation of the captain, I agree to help.

Before I know it, we've arrived on some little island in the middle of nowhere. Sola, the barbarian rushed across the beach up into the hills of the island. I shouted after him to slow down. We need to take this easy. Scout out the island first. It was too late. Sola has attracted the attention of a band of pirates.

These guys didn't fight like kobolds in the sewers. They were organized. A bunch of the big ones rushed. Their archers hung back and shot from a distances. Sola rushes up the greet them. There was no time to plan a proper attack. Rapier and shortsword out, I rushed at the bunch that was about to overwhelm Sola. We managed to kill them all, but neither of us werein good shape, and the archers were still shooting. Sola rushed them. I drew my bow, took a bead on one, and fired till he fell. Then I polished off the one that Sola was fighting.

I screamed at Sola, "We need to take it slow!" And, more to myself, "I need to drink a few healing potions."

Heedless of my request, he rushed further into the island. I stopped and drank my healing potions. It took half of them to make me feel like myself again. Off in the distance I hear the clattering of weapons and Sola shouting, "Come on I need help here!"

I abandoned my instinctual stealthyness and rushed up the hill to see what I could do for Sola. Sure enough, he was surrounded and probably not doing very well. I took aim and started shooting anyting that wasn't Sola. At least I tried to avoid hitting him.

It was too little, too late. I watched as Sola crumpled to the ground. And worst, there were three very big, very angry looking pirates advancing on me. The top of the rise I was already standing on was the most defensible position I had. I kept shooting as they climbed up the hill. Switching to blades at the last second.

Somehow, more of the brutes showed up. I could feel I was losing but there was nowhere to do. Each time they got through my defenses, I lost a bit more energy, a bit more ability to fight back ... until ... nothing but cold.

The brutes stopped attacking me. I was so cold and everything was dim and unreal. I looked down...

... and ...

... opened my eyes in the bath room of the Leaky Dingy. The water was freezing. The common room was quiet. Oh thank the Gods. It was all a dream.

Community Member

Thumbs up

Just starting reading your great post today. Very enjoyable!
    Who ever said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." did not work with computers...

Smile More! More!

I find these posts extremely cool!

This is not Las Cruces!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    It was too little, too late. I watched as Sola crumpled to the ground. And worst, there were three very big, very angry looking pirates advancing on me. The top of the rise I was already standing on was the most defensible position I had. I kept shooting as they climbed up the hill. Switching to blades at the last second.

Somehow, more of the brutes showed up. I could feel I was losing but there was nowhere to do. Each time they got through my defenses, I lost a bit more energy, a bit more ability to fight back ... until ... nothing but cold.

The brutes stopped attacking me. I was so cold and everything was dim and unreal. I looked down...

... and ...

... opened my eyes in the bath room of the Leaky Dingy. The water was freezing. The common room was quiet. Oh thank the Gods. It was all a dream.
    This is such a great post but I do need to ask one question:

Please tell me you didn't post the Barb's real character name - Please say it's a nom de plume.

These forums have a rule against naming players/characters.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    This is such a great post but I do need to ask one question:

Please tell me you didn't post the Barb's real character name - Please say it's a nom de plume.

I couldn't remember his name when I got around to writing the post. So, unless I accidentally stumbled on the same name, it's made up. Plus, this is creative writing. In-game actions aren't exactly as written. "Sola" was not the total zerg I made him out to be.

I ask before using.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-22-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Question A question for the readers

When I started writing this, I was specifically planning to avoid going into detail about the quests. Partly to avoid the potential spoilers for people but also because this is supposed to be the journal of a youngish halfling and I don't picture her as wanting to write about every hack-n-slash that comes along (although as a ranger, there must be a bit of hack-n-slash in her).

So, I have a question, dear readers. Would you prefer:

a) keep the hack-n-slash detail?

b) go back to less hack, more emotion/life?

c) screw the depth of character, gimme MOAR hack-n-slash?

It won't all go away, after all this is D&D fan fiction.

When I started writing this, I was specifically planning to avoid going into detail about the quests. Partly to avoid the potential spoilers for people but also because this is supposed to be the journal of a youngish halfling and I don't picture her as wanting to write about every hack-n-slash that comes along (although as a ranger, there must be a bit of hack-n-slash in her).

I like exactly what you are doing. You are very good writer. I like the quest detail, I like the Character Depth....I especially like the story you are telling about life between quests. We spend so much time running from one quest to the next, we fail to realize the characters have a life outside the dungeon crawl.

Kudos!!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I like exactly what you are doing. You are very good writer. I like the quest detail, I like the Character Depth....I especially like the story you are telling about life between quests. We spend so much time running from one quest to the next, we fail to realize the characters have a life outside the dungeon crawl.

Kudos!!!
    I am in accord with this statement.

Kudos!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I am in accord with this statement.
    Yup Yup!
    This is not Las Cruces!!

Community Member

What about a <3 interest? Surely you can add a little romance into poor Hazelnut's life , or is she doomed to be forever unmatched with her soulmate?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Just as a point - the rule is actually directed at naming people in a manner intended to harass/defame/embarrass them. ((edit: although... I suppose a zerg death could maybe fall under that heading.))

But asking to use the name of others is a proper thing to do.

Now to answer your question, Hazel - carry on as you feel fits your writing style. What comes naturally to you is what will come across best in the story.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 07-23-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Thumbs up

Kudos!!!
    /signed
    Who ever said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." did not work with computers...

Default Day Fifty-Five: A Day Out

I slept late that morning. Not just a little late, oh no. I slept like I did when I was a teen and could sleep the entire morning away. It was wonderful. There was a distant hum of activity coming from the common room already along with the faint smell of fresh ale. Over in the corner of my room I can see the heap of smelly dirty equipment. I had better get that properly cleaned before it gets any harder. It was past time to start my day.

I put on a nice clean but simple work dress, grab my gear and head downstairs. As soon as I enter the common room, Hammond just points at the door as if to say, “you aren’t going to clean that in here.” For a bar tender he sure doesn’t talk much.

I head out the door and down the stairs for some serious scrubbing and cleaning. It was a beautiful day. A gentle breeze blew across the pier as I worked. A few of the sailors who recognized me laughed to see me both in a dress and actually working. The Sojourner was in port and the first mate gave me this look of complete shock and awe before saying, “Hazelnut, you’re a girl! Or are those wizard robes? All this time I thought you were a ranger or scout.”

I smiled and waved back at her.

After an hour of scrubbing, scraping, polishing, washing, rinsing, and scrubbing some more, the dirt was finally gone from all of my gear. The under-padding for my chainmail still stunk worse than the Leaky Dingy after closing on a Saturday night. It would take far more skill or patience than I have to bring it back from the foul dead places it’s been than I’m willing to put into it.

Shortly after I had arrived in Stormreach I met an elf in the marketplace who kept his armor immaculate. He even managed to smell nice in his armor. I asked him how he did it. Two hours later, I had from him a long list of the best places in Stormreach to have armor and weapons detailed along with the name of the best cleaning houses AND the most amazingly detailed adventure story that involved nothing but trying to get rust stains out of leather armor.

It was well after lunch, I hadn’t eaten yet that day, and the best cleaning house was in an obscure quarter just off the marketplace. The time had come to get the filthy under-padding cleaned up. Swords, daggers and some throwing axes I found in abandoned on an earlier adventure all tucked away neatly, I headed off to the marketplace for some brunch and a laundry.

Early afternoon, the marketplace was busier than a beehive. Barkers were hawking their wares, acrobats and bards were performing for donations. The Coin Lords had a new group of recruits parading around in formation. I purchased a sticky bun from a conveniently located vendor and headed into the back alleys that I thought were where I was to find the laundry that the elf spoke of. I did in fact find it after an hour of searching and asking for directions.

The price was high. Not just a few pennies more than I would have paid down at the docks but a full 2 platinum coins more. The lady did promise my padding would look better than new, be cleaner than I had ever seen, and smell of lilacs and honey, or whatever sent I preferred. I could even pay extra for same day service if I had wanted. I did want. So, I paid the extra.

“Two hours, three at the most”, she promised. I took my claim ticket and headed back to the market for some real food.

My gem bag was quite full from that last adventure. I sold them to one of the jewelers in the marketplace. I was quite sure these guys were ripping me off but I’ve never been good at convincing anyone of anything. Still, it more than covered the cleaning costs and left me with enough for a proper brunch.

It was later afternoon by the time my under-padding was done and dry. It was beautiful, if you could call quilted brown leather that is meant to be worn underneath chainmail “beautiful”. Every seam has been carefully examined and all loose threads cleaned up and re-stitched where needed. The button at the neck that had torn off ages before was replaced. There wasn’t a hint of sweat or stale blood smell anywhere near it. In fact it smelled faintly of a forest on a spring day. I thanked the washing lady and practically skipped through the marketplace as I headed back to my room in the Leaky Dingy.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-24-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Community Member

Worth every piece of plat, that was. I don't like smelly armor, either, but sometimes...
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Cool OMG Really?

Which one of you did this? That's very sweet of you.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast