Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    The city guard and the Coin Lords are offering some pretty good jobs. Enough to rent a private room in the taverns so I have a safe place to sleep at night and some extra spending money besides. I do wish the jobs didn’t all involve trekking through the sewers. I come out filthy and spend hours cleaning my armor and clothing. On this plus side, I’ve spent so much time hunting kobolds and the like that I don’t really need to practice with my bow and swords every single day. I’ve managed to find some good rangers here in Stormreach that are willing to train me. So, I’m progressing much faster than Daisy said I would.

Note to readers: Thus ends my first actual week of playing DDO. Please let me know if you like my bit of fun fan fiction and if you want me to keep it up.
    Pretty good.

BUT!!11!! I noticed a severe lack of explosions, gratuitous car chases and overly long shoot-outs.

Seriously though. I like it.
    Can't wait to read more.

Default Dear Hazelnut

Welcome to DDO, Hazelnut!

I play a halfling occasionally as well, on Sarlona, a capped wizard though. We do have a small casual streak halfling guild though.

I enjoyed your stories as well. A tip on the dress though: you can get cosmetic armor that looked like a dress from the DDO store (or rare chest drops) and put it on, it will cover your chain mail or whatever armor you have on and look like a dress. Of course, to get it de-stinkified you would need a wizard's Gust of wind.

As for kobolds: They will always hate you, they remember Waterworks.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    Pretty good.

BUT!!11!! I noticed a severe lack of explosions, gratuitous car chases and overly long shoot-outs.

Seriously though. I like it.
    Can't wait to read more.
    Keep reading. I put in an explosion just for you.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Community Member

Keep reading. I put in an explosion just for you.
    Sweeet! Thanks!

I usually destroy all those barrels.

I also learned why Kyrva has the title “The Cowardly Paladin”. She has a very unique fighting style. With her shiny and meticulously maintained plate mail, she sticks out like a beacon for all to see. Instead of wasting energy chasing down the kobolds, she simply stands out in the open and lets them come to her. When they reach her, look out. That viscous sword comes out and she’s mowing them down pretty much as fast as the crazy dwarf. I’m not sure her name is justified but now I understand where she got it from.
    As the "Cowardly Paladin", I approve your recounting of our adventure. If the villains choose to come to me, I am not afraid to pull out my sword. But I shall not go looking for them a purpose. However, I feel duty bound to defend my husband, the Cleric known as Josturusm...where he goes into battle, I shall follow.

I hope you continue to enjoy your travels through Stormreach. Perhaps our paths will cross again someday.

Kyrva
    “Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.” ~G.K. Chesterton

Default Day Thirty-Nine: Back to Korthos

Here I am, right back where my new life began, Korthos village. At least it isn’t snowing anymore. We hunted up Ursa Jernsward hoping that she was still working to defend the village. We learned that although the Sahuagin no longer had their dragon, they still had control of a great many cultists and had managed to regain control of much of the island.

After the dragon was freed the Sahuagin and the cultists went into hiding. So when Lars Heyton organized a militia to clear out the infestation and drive the Sahuagin back into the sea, they found the island was no longer occupied and assumed the Sahuagin had simply gone back to their underwater homes. The militia was disbanded and Lars went back to his workshop.

The end result is that Lars is cut off, Ursa can’t convince the townspeople to form a militia to drive back the Sahuagin without him and we’ve been sent to brave the wilds one more time so that Lars can help his people make the island safe again.

The ship arrived on the island in the evening and we had planned to spend a quiet night in the local tavern but it didn’t turn out that way.

A band of cultists lead by a Sahuagin snuck past the barricade and started ransacking the place. I woke up to a loud crash around 3am when the first wave of brutes broke down the front door. I grabbed my trusty rapier and dagger then gave a shout to Kyrva and Jost. There wasn’t any need, though. The two were already up and donning their armor. Together we rushed down to the common room.

5 cultists were already ransacking the tavern with maces, clubs, and knives. Throwing caution to the wind, Jost rushed at them swinging his mace. Entranced by the gleam of Kyrva’s armor and her natural aura the cultists ignored Jost and rushed her in a bunch. I think Jost might have connected with one of them as the cultists ran past him.

I took down one with an arrow as they rushed at Kyrva. She casually drew her great sword while they approached. I switched to my rapier and dagger ready to remind them what happened the last time I was here. Then suddenly Kyrva and I were covered in blood and gore. Jost had spun around and was right behind the cultists as they rushed us. A might swing of the mace connected perfectly with a cultists and his head exploded throwing blood and brain matter all over us. God, I’m going to be cleaning my chainmail for hours, again.

Wave after wave of cultists rushed into the tavern. And wave after wave were dispatched by our little group. By dawn the entire place was covered in the bodies of the attackers. I hope the tavern owner has a good mop because I’m not cleaning up this mess.

Since the sun had come up, and we were already dressed, we decided it was a good time to go find Lars. We paused long enough to clean up most of the mess on our armor and retrieve the last of our belonging from the room we were staying in before leaving. Breakfast was out of the question with the common room looking like this.

On our way through the barricade, we ran into Ursa. She told us that Lars had gone back to the place he was hiding when I first came through Korthos. It turns out he’s been using the old factory as a sort of laboratory for his work. I’m glad we don’t have to search the entire island.

Sure enough, the protections he had in place the last time I was here were all fixed. He still hasn’t put in any obvious way to communicate with him.We are going to have to break his defenses just to tell him he needs to help with other defenses.

When we got to Lars, he was oblivious to what has been happening the last few weeks. After he gets done yelling at me for breaking his contraption again, I point out that it was actually Kyrva and Jost who broke it. All I did was turn a few valves and damage one of his iron defenders. He doesn’t care. He also doesn’t take kindly to my suggestion that perhaps he should have some way of communicating through the barrier he made so that he can turn it off when he gets visitors.

Lars is back with Ursa and re-forming the town militia. We should be able to head back to Stormreach on the next ship.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Talking No story today. A picture instead.

Things were a little quiet yesterday so I tried out a different server and made a toon (hey look, I'm learning the terminology) on Thelanis, named Zinneah Hazelnut. So today, instead of another chapter/post about the adventures of Hazelnut from Wayfinder, I bring you a picture of Hazelnut from Wayfinder in her chainmail.

Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-17-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Broken image reference. Now fixedish.

Community Member

I would post a pic of my Dorf with the Purple Dragon Knight armor on....but he looks ridiculous.

Post Day Fifty: Return to Stormreach

I lost track of Kyrva and Josturusm while we were waiting for a boat in Korthos. Some of the townspeople were hoping we would stay and help with their militia. We, Kyrva, Josturusm and I, did talk about it a bit but that place reminds me of the shipwreck where I lost my whole tribe. I hopped the first ship back, which left just before dawn.

On disembarking, I headed up to the Leaky Dingy. It was near dinner time anyway. There was this unremarkable priest or cleric or some-such drinking ale pint-for-pint with the sailors and bragging about how his church was so pure and had done such a great deed in clearing out all the gambling establishments in Stormreach. Needless to say, the sailors didn’t find that at all favorable.

Quite the hypocrite with a large mug of ale in one hand and bragging about shutting down the corruptive influence of gambling houses while getting completely soused. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets beat up before dawn.

Post Day Fifty-One: The Captives

I woke up early this morning with sunlight streaming through the tattered curtains of my room in the Leaky Dingy. My previous room was on the western side and the oppressive heat of the afternoon sun forced me to open the windows to cool the room down enough to sleep. Although the evening breeze cooled things down nicely, the stink from all the fishing boats unloading their catch of earlier that day left a lasting odor. So, this time I asked for an eastern room, hoping it would be a bit cooler. I’m not sure the trade-off was worth it.

Since I wasn’t going to get anymore sleep, I decided to take a morning walk along the harbor. The morning atmosphere sure is different. The sailors I’m used to seeing half drunk and carousing in the tavern or passed out somewhere on the way back to their ships are now hard at work. Ships are being scrubbed, lines are being coiled, and crates are getting moved. Gone is the laziness; having been replaced by hard work.

I wandered along the docks and piers all the way to the warehouse district where a decidedly out-of-place looking woman was frantically running around in a near panic begging for help. Her clothing is far too fine for this part of town. Or at least it was before it got muddy and torn. Cleaned up I would have expected to see her following some rich aristocrat ready to carry newly purchased bobbles for her mistress.

After calming the poor woman down I learned her name was Pearl Drumling and, as I had suspected, she was in fact the maid to a very rich woman named Lady Azdel. It seams this Lady Azdel was traveling to Stormreach, on a shopping trip no doubt, when her caravan was attacked by bandits. She said orc, but I’ve met orcs and they are no worse than the most of the patrons of the Leaky Dingy.

She told me they were attacked in a place called the Cerulean Hills. After pointing out that I had only arrived in Stormreach about a month ago and hadn’t even learned all the parts of the city let alone the surrounding countryside, she was nice enough to explain that the Cerulean Hills are the area west of the city walls. Despite my lack of knowledge of the area, she begged me to go rescue her employer. Having little else to do that day, I agreed to go look but didn’t promise anything.

The Cerulean Hills appear very nice. Lush and green farms scattered around near Stormreach with jungles further out. Off in the distance there are some very large ruins. They look to me to be the remains of a collapsed city wall. I wonder if Stormreach was built on the ruins of some ancient city or if it used to be bigger? I will have to save that curiosity for another time.

Hoping that the locals can help direct me to where the brigands might have taken Lady Azdel, I head towards the closest of the farm. As I approach, I can see workers in the field getting attacked by an orc. If the orc is supposed to be in-charge of the farm hands, he really needs to learn some less violent motivational techniques.

I walk up and shout, “Hello”, hoping it will at least give the farm hand a break from the beating he’s getting.

The orc stopped attacking the farmer and turns on me. He rushed at me with his sword raised. I draw my swords, preparing for the assault.

The fight doesn’t last long at all. In fact I grossly over-estimated his ability. His first swing is wild, going over my head and leaving his right side completely exposed. I swing my longsword at his exposed flank and follow up with a stab from my short-sword. The brute collapses in a heap of smelly dead orc.

The farmer thanks me for stopping the orc and tells me that a tribe of orcs that have always been peaceful started attacking the farms and harassing travelers through the area. Unfortunately the farmer has no idea where the orcs have set-up their camp. I probably shouldn’t have killed the orc. He might have been able to tell me where his camp was.

I spend the rest of the day scouting around this wilderness area. In the process, I run into a farmer who has been driven completely off his land by these orcs. I also get attacked a couple of times while wandering along the road by more orcs that have set up ambushes. Sadly they all fight to the death and I have no prisoners to interrogate about the location of their camp.

Deciding that it’s probably better to avoid a fight than to keep getting attacked, I headed off the roads into the jungles and started scouting around stealthily. I run across several more parties of orcs waiting to ambush travelers.

Towards evening, I stumbled across a group of orcs who had evidently given up waiting to ambush random travelers. They’ve built a fire and judging by their slurred speech had some drink in their provisions. I waited and listened.

My patients paid off. I learned that there is a second bridge further to the west. It spans a gorge. The orc encampment is somewhere on that river.

Unfortunately, as I was trying to sneak away, one of the orcs spotted me. They came after me and I as forced to kill them all. It took until midnight for me to hide the bodies. At least I can use their fire to keep warm and maybe get some sleep.

Default Day Fifty-One: The Rescue

By mid-morning I had found the bridge over the gorge and I’ve also spotted another ambush. I can’t bypass this one. If it is within hearing of the main encampment, all these orcs will come up behind me. Better to dispatch them first.

It looks like there are three batches. I found a good high spot with nice cover to perch on. I readied my trusty longbow and took careful aim at the first group. Snick-snick-snick and they are all down. They didn’t even get a single shot off before I dispatched them.

The second group got a little bit luckier. They managed to identify where I was hiding as I dispatched the first of them. Three others ran to better ground to be able to shoot back at me. I think they must not have longbows. None of their shots even came close to me before they were also dead.

I slide down the cliff faces to the path below. I don’t want some hidden sentries under this side of the bridge to see me walking along that exposed path down the other side. As it turned out, I over-estimated the orcs. No hidden sentries. I guess they figured the ambushers could do double duty.

There was sure to be more orc in the camp and in larger numbers than the ambushers I’ve run into. Definitely time to take things slow and quiet. Each time I spoted a sentry, out came my bow; snick-snack and down goes an orc. Luckily I spotted all of them before tripping over one hiding in the jungle.

I found the main orc encampment just before noon. Peeking in through the wooden fence they’ve built it looks emptier than I was expecting. It’s still going to be a tough fight. I slip through the barrier and knocked a few of the stray orcs down before anyone noticed.

The camp covers a few islands with the stream running right through it. There is a big island right in the middle with a second crude wooden palisade around it. I guessed that is where they would keep prisoners. I was right. And, it was one hell of a fight.

It was nearly dusk by the time the battle was over. I pointed out that we really had to leave soon. There were more orcs from the tribe around setting up all those ambushes and some of them would be returning to the main camp. Lady Azdel insisted that the orcs had taken her possession and she was not leaving the orc camp until she had collected at least some of them.

We waited until morning to leave. Luckily none of the raiding parties had returned and it was pretty uneventful. By mid-morning, Lady Azdel was still searching through the orc encampment looking for her things. I gave up waiting and informed her that I was heading back to Stormreach and they were welcome to come with me. The Lady informed me that her bodyguards were sufficient protection for whatever might come. I didn’t bother pointing out that she and her bodyguards had already been captured once.

This is great! Only thing is this is probably a better fit for our Role Play forum, rather than General, so I'm moving it there. Thanks!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Founder

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This is great! Only thing is this is probably a better fit for our Role Play forum, rather than General, so I'm moving it there. Thanks!
    It's too bad that the forums don't allow for a link to a post in another forum. If its off the General Discussion it will cease to be noticed.

Unhappy Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    It's too bad that the forums don't allow for a link to a post in another forum. If its off the General Discussion it will cease to be noticed.
    bummer. Creative writing and role play are not the same thing.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-19-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Guardian
    Hero

are you cousin with Sulek Spinerider ?

Peanut!
    I come from the west. Through countries, peoples, and cities - to this place: STORMREACH.
    My duty: Guardian. To mend and defend. To defend my newfound friends, their hopes, and dreams. To defend them from their enemies.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael View Post
    are you cousin with Sulek Spinerider ?

Peanut!
    Sorry, nope. I'm completely new.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Linking to another post works just fine for me at least.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Default Keep up the good work!

Diggin it so far.

I figured it would get moved eventually. No biggie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Linking to another post works just fine for me at least.
    I assume he means it will no longer show in the general section once it gets pushed back to page 2 or more, as new posts won't bump it up. And unfortunately this section of the forum doesn't seem to get much views at all.

Community Member

I am in the habit of clicking the New Posts link, so this will show for me as long as there is a recent post.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast