Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Default The Journal of Hazelnut the Halfling

This post is my attempt at a “story” of my toon’s development in the form of journal entries. The Introduction section is written out-of-character to explain a bit of my interpretation of the Halfling race. If you don’t care for all that, skip to Day One to start the story.

Introduction
    For my very first toon in DDO, I chose a Halfling Ranger following the Deepwoods Sniper path. The DDO Manual has this to say about Halflings:

In the world of Eberron, halflings are nomads who ride domesticated dinosaurs across the wide Talenta Plains. The heritage of the nomad also serves more urbanized halflings well, and halflings have established themselves across Eberron as merchants, politicians, barristers, healers, and criminals. The tribal nomads of the plains can sometimes be found in the cities, but often the halflings of the cities blend in with the rest of the population and display only the occasional reminder of their roots. Halflings are affiliated with the House Jorasco in Stormreach.

Being tribal, I expect that Halflings would tend to be more along the lines of the “natural” types of classes. Barbarians are the elite warriors that protect the tribe, Druids are the tribal shaman and healers, Rangers are the scouts and hunters, and your typical stay-at-home (well in the tent or vardo) Halfling gets labeled as a rogue by outsides.

Being nomadic on the Talenta plains and living in a medieval world, I expect a typical Halfling home would be a well-appointed and beautifully decorated vardo that gets pulled by their pet dinosaurs. Outbuildings and community areas built from tents that can quickly be collapsed and packed onto the backs of the dinosaurs, although no less decorative. This would give the typical Halfling village the look of a circus.

The prejudice that Halflings are thieves is misplaced (at least for those of Talenta). The naturally limited storage space and family feeling of a nomadic tribe has resulted in a somewhat loose definition of ownership for smaller items (like tools) which are viewed more as being owned by the entire tribe instead of any one individual.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Default Day One: Shipwreck Shore

I found this grubby old journal in some rubble. It’s already full of strange writing and odd drawings. The leather cover is stained and dirty. At least the old writing is faded enough that I can write over them.

I’ve lost everything. My whole tribe probably drowned in that storm. My family’s vardo sunk with the ship. Even my night-gown was in tatters when Jeets woke me up on that desolate beach.

The tribe thought it might be fun to explore the world beyond the Talenta plains and the elders voted to hire a ship to take us to a big city called Stormreach. I was so looking forward to it. I saved my money so I could buy a fresh journal, a sketchbook, and some new pencils in Gatherhold before we left. Daisy even carved me a beautiful new pencil box. It’s all gone now; sunk on the bottom of the ocean. As far as I know, I’m the only one of the tribe to have survived.

Jeets found me while he was salvaging floatsam from the shipwreck. He was nice enough to take me to his camp and he even gave me a sword, some food, and said I should go to Korthos village with him and his friends because there are Sahuagin attacking people on the island.

It’s a good thing he gave me that sword, because the cave we had to go through to get to Korthos village had some nasty Sahuagin in it. On the up side, I found some worn but good quality chainmail in the cave and it even fit me. Daisy would say the armor is too loud but at least I’m not running around in a tattered nightgown anymore.

Default Day Two: Korthos Island

I found enough money on my adventures between the beach and the village to pay for a room at the inn and get a bath. It’s so nice to be clean again. After chatting with the locals at the tavern I found out that we are not that far from Stormreach. So, it looks like the tribe (or at least what’s left of it) will get to Stormreach after all. At least I will if I can earn enough money to pay for passage.

Jeets was being generous when he said the Sahuagin were “attacking people”. They aren’t just attacking people, it’s a full-blown onslaught against the island of Korthos. On the plus side, I’ve got plenty of opportunity to earn passage to Stormreach.

Default Day Ten: Stormreach

My second ship voyage was much more uneventful than the first. No storms. I didn’t get sick at all this time. And, it was only 10 hours sailing between Korthos Island and Stormreach. The first mate of the ship that brought me here was really nice. She pointed me at a local tavern called the Leaky Dinghy where I was able to find some work.

This city is HUGE. It’s going to take forever for me to explore it all. When the tribe was in Gatherhold I though it must be the biggest city in the world but I think the Stormreach harbour might be bigger, maybe.

Default Day Twenty: Questing in Stormreach

The city guard and the Coin Lords are offering some pretty good jobs. Enough to rent a private room in the taverns so I have a safe place to sleep at night and some extra spending money besides. I do wish the jobs didn’t all involve trekking through the sewers. I come out filthy and spend hours cleaning my armor and clothing. On this plus side, I’ve spent so much time hunting kobolds and the like that I don’t really need to practice with my bow and swords every single day. I’ve managed to find some good rangers here in Stormreach that are willing to train me. So, I’m progressing much faster than Daisy said I would.

Note to readers: Thus ends my first actual week of playing DDO. Please let me know if you like my bit of fun fan fiction and if you want me to keep it up.

Community Member

Very nice read so far. Keep it up. And welcome to Eberron.

Yep, welcome.

Story telling is an art form.

Not sure what I mean by that. Just saying.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Welcome OP! Welcome to DDO, and our Doom forums.*gestures half-heartedly at nothing in particular* You must be this tall to ride. Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

On a more chipper note, Nice read! I very much enjoy it, although being the avid reader I am I would enjoy it more if you went into greater detail on the various quests you do. But that's just me and my unquenchable desire for a well written story. Lol
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

Yes keep it up. My pet peeve as a half elf getting my armour dirty all the time.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default I will be the negative nancy

These threads come and go. As a new player, I think this should go in the New Player Forums for Advice & Guidance.

You can keep writing though if that is what floats your boat.

My favorite is a halfling Ranger/Monk/Rogue. But I also play a halfling Wizard/Rogue or just a pure halfling rogue but they tend to go to the backburner since, for me, Warforged rule the arcanes(or did, nut sure what happens when shadowfell comes out) and I don't really enjoy playing a pure rogue.

Welcome to the game. What server are you on? Some players would be willing to send nice little care packages to new players. I can help out on a few servers.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

keep it up, makes a great change from the usual diet of whiners and cry-babies who make up the majority of posters
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Fun read. It's nice to see something lighthearted on the forums for a change.

Are you on Cannith server? I grouped with a halfling rogue who was obviously a new player on Korthos the other night and had a good time. Unfortunately, I don't remember names well.

At any rate, thanks and welcome to Stormreach!

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Fun read. It's nice to see something lighthearted on the forums for a change.

Are you on Cannith server? I grouped with a halfling rogue who was obviously a new player on Korthos the other night and had a good time. Unfortunately, I don't remember names well.

At any rate, thanks and welcome to Stormreach!
    I'm on Wayfinder. I haven't grouped yet. Occasionally someone pops up an offer to group but they never talk to me first, just the dialog box pops up. It's usually when I've just finished a quest and need to sell/dump the stuff I picked up or just as I'm about to log off. Plus, I think it's rude to just throw a random group request up without at least talking first.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra
    On a more chipper note, Nice read! I very much enjoy it, although being the avid reader I am I would enjoy it more if you went into greater detail on the various quests you do. But that's just me and my unquenchable desire for a well written story. Lol
    I thought about that, but I don't want it to be a spoiler for people who haven't done the quests. I'll think about throwing some more muck and gore into it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4
    These threads come and go. As a new player, I think this should go in the New Player Forums for Advice & Guidance.
    I wasn't really sure where to put it. Advice & Guidance doesn't seam right since it's not really either. You can expect me to just drop this at some point in the future. I'm quite good at coming & going.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Default Day Twenty-Two: Jobs Jobs Jobs

I met a man named Baudry Cartamon at one of the taverns in the harbor today. He’s an odd fellow. Something tells me he is more important than he appears to be on the surface. He offered me a job if I could get some others to help me guard his warehouse. Being night watchman of a warehouse sounds boring but at least I shouldn’t come out of it all filthy and smelly like those sewer jobs.

Speaking of traipsing around the sewers, it appears I’ve made a bit of a name with the local constabulary. One of the guards, a fellow named Crichton mentioned that they are looking for recruits to head to an outpost that is being attacked by Kobolds. I’ve killed enough of them in the sewers lately; I think I’m pretty good at it. Mister Crichton says they need a small group before the caravan will leave, though.

Maybe I should try a new profession and become a recruiter. The better jobs I’m finding want a whole group. I’ll have to make a few friends.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    Yes keep it up. My pet peeve as a half elf getting my armour dirty all the time.
    Your a half elf eh? well hopefully some of that dirt will cover your face and save some people from being scarred for life.

Hazel, keep up the stories. It is a nice breath of fresh air.

I do hope you decide to get more in touch with those pointy things you like so much and chart your own path.

BTW, you are not a bad recruiter, you did actually manage to get a cleric to come out of hiding. Heroes are just short on Wayfinder right now. (OK, just realized the bad pun, but I'll leave it)

Hopefully, DDO will get more new players like you.

I'm curious to see your next few stories.

Default Day Twenty-Three: Night Watchman

I found another warehouse guarding job. I’m not sure about this one. Something about this Philver guy isn’t right. He’s way to shifty and he wants to bet on everything. I mean serious, 2 plat on him guessing the color of my underwear? I would have slapped him for making such a bold pass at me if it wasn’t so obvious he was more interested in the coins than in seeing me half undressed. On the other hand, I might need to stop walking around town in chainmail all the time. It doesn’t really accent my girlish figure.

I assumed the night watchman job would be nice and quiet; walk my rounds, read a book, sit in a chair, try not to fall asleep. Maybe give my rapier a really good cleaning. It didn’t work out that way. It seems he’s made a few enemies. A bunch of ruffians from the Quickfoot gang broke into his warehouse and started looting the place.

I spent the entire night hunting through a disorganized maze of packing crates for all of them. And it was no easy task either. Philver has some deal going on where he’s supplying explosives to some of the local warships. There are barrels of very dangerous powder all over the place. It makes for a real pain shooting the criminals when one misplaced shot makes a barrel explode. Plus, I’m sure Philver wouldn’t be too happy if I blew up half his merchandise.

On a lark, I did blow up one of the barrels. I simply couldn’t resist. This idiot gang member was standing right beside a barrel and facing the wall. How inept do these guys get? Was he on a “time-out” or something? I mean I could understand coming up behind him if he’s looking down a corridor in the other direction. But standing in a room directly across from the door and facing the wall? So, I shot the barrel beside him and boom! The guy is knocked prone and his cloths are on fire. Another arrow into him for good measure and I’m clear. I’m sure Philver won’t mind one missing barrel.

I see why Philver has such a hard time keeping staff at his warehouse. The pay sucked. 48 gold pieces, that’s it. I spent more than that last Saturday at the Leaky Dingy on drinks. And half my drinks were bought by this cute Halfling who said he’s some important person with the local authority. I thought it was going to be a good night but the little sot drank himself into a stupor and fell asleep under the table. Ah well, maybe next time.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Default Day Thirty: Just a Quick Shopping Trip, or is it?

I haven’t had solid work in a week. I saved up some nice plat when I had work, so I’ve been doing okay but things are starting to get tight. Plus, I just can’t get all the muck out from between the links in my chainmail. It still smells like a sewer. One of the guards mentioned that you can have your armor detailed by some of the shops in the Marketplace. Looks like I’m off for a little shopping and a day out. Hopefully I can find a nice dress to wear while my armor is thoroughly cleaned and de-stinkified.

None of the clothing vendors in the marketplace sell actual normal clothing. Well, they sell gloves and hats and belts but no dresses. I tried asking a few locals that had some cute outfits on but none of them would tell me where they got their clothing.

I ended up with a nice enough dress from the armorer that is detailing my chainmail of all places. She insists it’s a “robe” not a dress and that only magic users wear such things. I don’t care what she says, I’m calling it my city dress. It’s white and violet and accents my figure nicely. The reinforcements are a little uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as chainmail. Now, it’s off to do a little window shopping while my armor is worked on.

During my day, I bumped into a nice cleric named Josturusm. I think the rapier and the dress confused him a bit. I’m sure very few magic users have a rapier and dagger at their hip. I explained about my stinky armor and the lack of availability of everyday wear in town. I think he got a chuckle at my fashion sense.

We chatted a bit. Josturusm is married to a very nice woman named Kyrva who has the unfortunate title of Kyrva the Cowardly Paladin. Cowardly or not, she is a very nice woman. We spent the afternoon chatting and window shopping. We ended up at the back of the crowd watching the performer in the marketplace and chatting quietly.

Turns out that Josturusm and Kyrva were also looking for work. When I mentioned that the guard Crichton was looking for recruits to defend an outpost from kobold and that Crichton swore to me there would be absolutely no sewers involved, they were interested. We agreed to meet in the harbor the next day to see if Crichton was still in need of recruits.

As the sun was setting, I picked up my shiny and no longer smelly chainmail and headed back to the Leaky Dingy where I’m renting a room.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Default Day Thirty-One: Enlisted

Bright and early, wearing my traditional chainmail, I met Josturusm and Kyrva. Josturusm had also dragged along a dwarf friend of his, with a very big axe, who was also looking for work. Together we went to see if Crichton was on duty at his usual post. He was and lucky for us a caravan was headed to the outpost. We joined up and were on our way.

By sunset we had arrived. It is quite an impressive outpost; stone walls, double iron bar gates, large tower. We are to spend a week here with occasional skirmishes out into the wilderness to fend off the kobolds and protect the caravans passing through.

Default Day Thirty-Two: Kobolds Attack

This batch of posts starts at Day Twenty-Three for those who are following along.

Our first attack came practically at dawn. We headed out the main gate and only a few steps along the path a party of kobolds rushed us from out of the woods. The battle didn’t last very long. With 4 of us in the party, we crushed them quickly. The dwarf likes to run head long into the fray and swing that enormous axe as he goes. I swear he must have mowed down two or three with a single swing.

I also learned why Kyrva has the title “The Cowardly Paladin”. She has a very unique fighting style. With her shiny and meticulously maintained plate mail, she sticks out like a beacon for all to see. Instead of wasting energy chasing down the kobolds, she simply stands out in the open and lets them come to her. When they reach her, look out. That viscous sword comes out and she’s mowing them down pretty much as fast as the crazy dwarf. I’m not sure her name is justified but now I understand where she got it from.

After a week on rotation at the outpost we must have killed over 200 kobolds. Our relief has arrived and we are catching the next caravan back to Stormreach. I think the dwarf is a bit disappointed.

Crichton didn’t give us much rest. As soon as the caravan arrived back in Stormreach, he met us and ushered us straight onto a ship bound for Korthos Island. Only a quick explanation of “the Sahuagin are back at it again”, followed by, “You can rest on the ship”.

Hazelnut Random on Wayfinder
    Halfling Ranger (level 3)
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 07-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast