Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Cool Sunset Beach

The sunset from Irestone Inlet was far prettier a few minutes earlier with a brilliant pink sky and bright turquoise water. Sadly I was busy fighting pirates at the time.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Talking Footnotes

I feel like explaining some of what I put in the stories. Inspiration comes from many places and I do sometimes hope people get references I sneak in. Also, I've done a few things as hints that may be good for readers to know about.

Assuming I don't forget to set it, the post icons I use mean something...
    • The blue page should indicate that the post is part of the story
    • The talking icon means the post is the author talking to the audience (not part of the story)
    • The cool icon means I'm posting something just for fun

My original plan was to make the stories around what happens to Hazelnut on Wayfinder (my first toon). It's done in a more-or-less journal style. Which is why each post starts Day XXXX.

I now have other toons on other servers (see my sig). Sometimes something happens to them that inspires a story. To help me remember what is what when I re-read my writings (I do this a lot), events not inspired by the original Hazelnut do not have a Day XXXX associated with the post title. For me, all the stories involve the same character (Hazelnut). There may, however, end up being divergence as the toons follow different paths.

In the recent Proof is in the Poison thread, I made some historical references. I want to record those somewhere, so here it is...

The term Vigiles is a Latin word for an early form of police force in the Roman Empire.

The concepts of Precincts and the Day Watch and Night Watch are also (to my knowledge) originally from ancient Rome. I chose to stick them in mostly for flavor, but also in hopes that it won't interfere with the existing story-line of DDO. If it does, DDO wins and I adjust my future stories to fit when I find out.

The reference to a series of Disc World novels through the term Night Watch was entirely intentional. I like the double reference.

Also, I like knowing people read my stories. I like feedback. Don't hesitate to post your comments, questions, cudos, inconsistencies in my stories. If you would like to see something inspired by a specific plot or event, the best way is to join me on Wayfinder and help the inspiration along (we can coordinate a specific time/date through PMs).
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 09-05-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Thumbs up Love your work!

You're doing a great job! Please keep up the good work. I frequently feel like doing the same. Sadly I'm extremely time challenged. Even still, I sometimes find myself writing narrative in my head.

I appreciate the footnotes you just posted, although I hadn't previously noticed. Your posting style is sufficiently different, between storytelling and notation, that I've managed just fine. But it's good to be able to tell for sure.

I especially liked your last story entry, "whole cloth" or not. I will admit to an almost overwhelming urge to go back in and check the Rusty Nail again. Great creativity! It would be really cool, if all that was really back there.

Thank you! I look forward to your stories. Especially since I have no time for my own.

Yours,
    Mischif

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Mischif View Post
    You're doing a great job! Please keep up the good work. I frequently feel like doing the same. Sadly I'm extremely time challenged. Even still, I sometimes find myself writing narrative in my head.

I appreciate the footnotes you just posted, although I hadn't previously noticed. Your posting style is sufficiently different, between storytelling and notation, that I've managed just fine. But it's good to be able to tell for sure.
    Thanks.
    I especially liked your last story entry, "whole cloth" or not. I will admit to an almost overwhelming urge to go back in and check the Rusty Nail again. Great creativity! It would be really cool, if all that was really back there.
    The Rusty Nail has no quest givers and is not a PvP tavern. Makes it perfect for my needs since it would otherwise be ignored. It is built on a hill with it's entrance at the bottom. There is a door around back, tucked into a corner. That door also appears to be purely decorative. Again, makes it perfect for whatever I want to to with it.
    Thank you! I look forward to your stories. Especially since I have no time for my own.

Yours,
    Mischif
    It does take a while to write up the small portions. Write, re-write, check earlier threads for some consistency, re-write. Go do something else, re-read and correct. Easily 3 hours per post not counting the "go do something else" time.

Community Member

Enjoying the journal so far Hazel. I think my favorite part so far was the cowardly paladin.

Talking Talking to the audience.

There is a 20% off sale on expansions and I had almost 1000 TP saved up. So I got a few low level expansions. I went mostly on number of adventures. I've got Tangleroot Gorge and The Sharn Synidcate.

Sadly details of the adventures in Proof is in the Poison is not gonna happen. I didn't get permission from those involved and, although I've written some of it, I just can't get a story I'm happy with. Sorry folks.

Finally, a question for the audience. Does anyone want to hop on to Thelanis and sneak through a few quests very slowly with me? Tuesday or Thursday evenings are good for me. (easten time)

Thanks for the feedback Smeggy. Kyva was a lot of fun but I haven't seen her in a while.

Talking Shameless cross-post

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I am sure this has been pointed out before but I just had to again. While I don't normally like much music after the 80's or early 90's this band is one of my fave's and the guitarist well she is one of khyber's own. give em a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVY5hb3jGn8
    I love rocker girls and it is awesome to see the genre is still going strong!

Default Honored

As one of the players who so valiantly went into PitP with you, I have no problem with you writing about that adventure. I doubt seriously if the others would either. We all did our best in a very challenging quest, and the fact that the newest of us made it out alive, scarred and bloodied but undefeated, speaks volumes to your grit and skill. I think you would do extreme justice to the tale and write a heart wrenching story. Blodhund's axe is ever at your service little one.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    There is a 20% off sale on expansions and I had almost 1000 TP saved up. So I got a few low level expansions. I went mostly on number of adventures. I've got Tangleroot Gorge and The Sharn Synidcate.

Sadly details of the adventures in Proof is in the Poison is not gonna happen. I didn't get permission from those involved and, although I've written some of it, I just can't get a story I'm happy with. Sorry folks.

Finally, a question for the audience. Does anyone want to hop on to Thelanis and sneak through a few quests very slowly with me? Tuesday or Thursday evenings are good for me. (easten time)

Thanks for the feedback Smeggy. Kyva was a lot of fun but I haven't seen her in a while.

Hi there, dungeon-crawler here.
    i'm mostly every day on thelanis, currently on high level so i'll have to roll a new toon, that's fine, but i don't know what name i'll be using so i'll contact you

enjoyin the stories a lot, maybe i'll be part of 1 or 2
    Last edited by harry-pancreas; 10-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Cool I found a pink dress!

Community Member

Default Very pretty...

but when will your latest exploits be declassified?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Default The End of the Night Watch...

"Hazelnut, this is more serious than I thought", said Chriton in a concerned tone, "You can't let even a hint of this leak out or we will have a panic in Stormreach."

"But sir, we stopped the plot. Thual Masmataz is dead, and the ingredients for the poison were mostly destroyed. We can send in some regulars to remove and safely destroy what is left", I responded.

"That isn't the only plot that Lord Amanatu is tracking", Chriton continued, "and with your unit killed, the night watch may not last."

"Sir?"

Chriton raised his hand to silence me, "I was permitted 3 special teams for the night watch. One of the other teams was killed by a traitor. With only one team left, we must be more cautious. I will arrange for payment into your account at the bank along with a bonus. Take a few days off."

"Is this the end of the Night Watch?"

"I don't know."

Community Member

Nooooooo!
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Post Day Ninety-Five: Secrets part 1

Dear Diary, Guard Chriton said I wasn’t to tell anyone about my experience as a part of the Night Watch but I can’t let the memory of my friends fade into obscurity and be forgotten like so many of anonymous adventurers whos remains we find in the sewers of Stormreach. Nobody is going to read my private journal. So Chriton can hardly be upset.

My former team consisted of 5 members including myself. Mannie, was our illustrious leader and healer. Bloodhound the provocative dwarf usually took point. Waldo the ancient elf ranger has been my mentor since joining this team. Johann, the budding sorcerer eager for adventure was our most recent recruit. And, of course myself, the halfling scout.

Johann was the first to die. He had been assigned to us by Chriton to “fill out our skills”, as Chriton said when he introduced us. Johann was one of those natural mages, the sort the humans call a sorcerer and he was eager to go exploring. It was probably that undying eagerness to jump in that cost him his life. His desire to see what was around the next corner almost rivaled my own.

We slipped into the dark basement. It smelled more like a sewer than an apothecary laboratory. As we moved towards the back of the room we found the source of the stink. The apothecary was built over top of an old sewer entrance and the basement was little more than the end section of sewer with iron bars installed instead of a back wall.

There where we're boxes sitting along the walls of the converted section. Looking inside the boxes we found dried herbs, some empty vials, and other sundries used in an apothecary but nothing that could be the large quantity of poison we were sent in to find; so much for a quick and easy mission.

Mannie examined the iron bars further back and found a door that could be opened from this side. We agreed it was likely that Thual Masmataz must have set up a lab further in the sewers to make the poisons for his nefarious plan.

Slipping past the gate we could see a worn path in the grime. Following it we came to a stone bridge over a dried out cesspool. Waldo spotted some guards across the bridge trying to stay hidden in the shadows. Either they weren't very good or they had gotten lazy from boredom.

"Now what?" asked Johann.

"They are wearing Quickfoot gang colors", Waldo said without taking his eyes off the partially hidden sentries.

I stepped up to Waldo, standing carefully in the shadow behind him, and ask "I don't suppose the boss would object to a few more dead thieves, would he?"

In response Waldo unslung the Longbow from his back and took aim at the one on the left. I followed his lead and our two arrows killed him before he could utter a word. We managed to take three of them out before any of the other sentries noticed. We heard Mannie's voice over the quiet murmur of the others arguing over tactics, "That decides it." and the rest of the team joined in our efforts to dispatch the wheel gang sentries.

With the room cleared we advanced to cross the bridge. As we approached it, Waldo and I stopped and grabbed hold of Johann’s shoulders as he boldly stepped past us. “Trap”, whispered Waldo, “follow me.” Waldo led us carefully around the traps on the bridge to the far side.

Waldo, Mannie, and I examined the dead gang members for clues that might indicate they were working with Thual Masmataz. Without any of us noticing, Johann snuck around the corner following the worn path in the grime. The first any of us noticed Johann had gone on without us was when we heard his shout for help.

We rushed around the corner and saw Johann taking on 6 more gang members singlehandedly. He was fighting valiantly. There were another 2 laying on the ground but Johann was overwhelmed by 4 fighters and the other two casters standing back throwing nasty spells at him.

Waldo and I unslung our longbows and took aim at the casters while Mannie pulled his enormous mace and ran up to help Johann. As the casters went down, we noticed arrows slam into Johann and Mannie from somewhere outside our view. Johann must have missed the signs of an ambush and been cut off from retreat.

When the last of the 4 fighters harassing Johann and Mannie went down, Johann spun and shot a bolt of energy into the darkness and we heard the screams of one of the hidden archers. Unfortunately the final shots from the archers struck true and Johann collapsed on the ground at Mannie’s feet. Waldo and I shot blindly into the darkness where Johann’s energy-bolt had gone and we heard booted feet running away.

Mannie tried to give aid to Johann but it was too late. With Waldo and I guarding him, Mannie moved Johann’s body to a dark alcove back closer to the bridge.

I said, “we should head back and tell Chriton. We need a bigger force.”

“No, we have to go on. We don’t know how close Thual Masmataz is to completing his plan. He must be stopped tonight”, Mannie ordered.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 11-05-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Talking Awesome sales in the marketplace

I'm sure you know this, if you don't I hope you read this post before it's too late, but Turbine is have a 50% off sale for the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion in the DDO Market (that's the website, not the in-game store). So I picked up the Shadowfell Conspiracy Standard Edition for $15 (instead of $30). I had also planned on getting some turbine points since it's "double bonus days" this weekend. Another $20 for 1950TP. Pretty good for $35 total.

When I went to check out with Shadowfell, Turbine offered me the Menace of the Underdark Standard Edition for half-price too. That's $17.50 instead of the regular $35. And to my very happy discovery each of those expansions includes 1000TP with the purchase (along with some other nice things). So, I've got my 2000TP and I save about $3 over what I had planned to pay. Plus I've got the two expansion.

It's nearing the end of "Cyber Monday" so I'm a bit late on metioning it, but Turbine put some of the older packages on 75% off! I broke down and got the Catacombs for $2.50.

Unfortunately for me, Menace of the Underdark is also 75% off (I got it for 50% off last Friday). So, I could have saved another $8.75 if I had waited. I still got a great deal, but I could have gotten a better one. I hope some other people get the better deal. I wonder if Turbine would add $8.75 in TP to my account?

The sales are on the DDO Market http://store.turbine.com/store/turbi...emeID.29252200

Thanks Turbine!
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 12-02-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Cyber Monday comments added.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456