Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Default Just my ramblings re: expansion

In case this helps DDO market better, otherwise, its just me venting and you can please feel free to move on to more important things. But, I'll keep it short. This is much cheaper than therapy and much healthier than drinking.

It's about the expansion. Do I buy it? Do I spring the extra 40 bucks just for the perm hireling that isnt as good as the panther? (I solo a lot, the panther essentially saved the game for me.)

Is it just the two expansion packs (that I should have been getting for free as VIP) and tomes, and iconics? Or will there be other aspects either not mentioned or I wasn't expecting (like the wildernesses are HUGE or have special features, etc.)

I've been trying to decide when/if to buy it and whether to downgrade from VIP at that time so I can justify the cost?. I've got a lot going on in my life money wise, about to buy a new PC (I hope), eye operation, etc., and want to be sure I can and should afford it.

So I wait, I don't buy it right away figuring I can anytime, but now there's apparently a beta, fine I knew that was coming. There's apparently dev discussions? There's apparently contests? None of these were mentioned.

Now I begin to feel like a second class DDO citizen, and rather than being enticed into buying, I'm really feeling like if I'm not a big spender, I don't matter to Turbine. This is all about the Benjamins, and that's one of the things I try to get away from by escaping into online gaming. I wish them all success and profit, within reason. If I want my feelings hurt there are AMPLE places I can go for that.

So bottom line is: I have no clue if I buy now what I will have access to and when, what I will be eligible for and when, and I have no clue if the $40 hireling will also be available after release or what any of the post-release offerings will be.

That's my ramblings for this morning. The whole thing makes me not wanna log into the game today. I'm going out into the Real World and see what devils and demons await me outside.

(And P.s. for anyone reading who wants to flame me for having feelings, being emotionally astute is something I'm proud of. But don't assume that means I am not keenly aware of where I am and what the state of everything around me is.)
    Last edited by My2Cents; 07-13-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    In case this helps DDO market better, otherwise, its just me venting and you can please feel free to move on to more important things. But, I'll keep it short. This is much cheaper than therapy and much healthier than drinking.

It's about the expansion. Do I buy it? Do I spring the extra 40 bucks just for the perm hireling that isnt as good as the panther? (I solo a lot, the panther essentially saved the game for me.)

Is it just the two expansion packs (that I should have been getting for free as VIP) and tomes, and iconics? Or will there be other aspects either not mentioned or I wasn't expecting (like the wildernesses are HUGE or have special features, etc.)

I've been trying to decide when/if to buy it and whether to downgrade from VIP at that time so I can justify the cost?. I've got a lot going on in my life money wise, about to buy a new PC (I hope), eye operation, etc., and want to be sure I can and should afford it.

So I wait, I don't buy it right away figuring I can anytime, but now there's apparently a beta, fine I knew that was coming. There's apparently dev discussions? There's apparently contests? None of these were mentioned.

Now I begin to feel like a second class DDO citizen, and rather than being enticed into buying, I'm really feeling like if I'm not a big spender, I don't matter to Turbine. This is all about the Benjamins, and that's one of the things I try to get away from by escaping into online gaming. I wish them all success and profit, within reason. If I want my feelings hurt there are AMPLE places I can go for that.

So bottom line is: I have no clue if I buy now what I will have access to and when, what I will be eligible for and when, and I have no clue if the $40 hireling will also be available after release or what any of the post-release offerings will be.

That's my ramblings for this morning. The whole thing makes me not wanna log into the game today. I'm going out into the Real World and see what devils and demons await me outside.

(And P.s. for anyone reading who wants to flame me for having feelings, being emotionally astute is something I'm proud of. But don't assume that means I am not keenly aware of where I am and what the state of everything around me is.)
    It is all your preference. You could probably spend under $200 on a double point bonus and buy things as you go. The question is if you are paying $100 a year, will you still see interest in the game after 2 years so that you break even?

I believe that if you purchased motu, you received 7 or so adventure packs, so that would be less that you have to buy now. I think the new expansion is only 4500 tp or so.

Sit down and make a list of what class, races, packs, inventory upgrades that you would like, and then calculate what it would cost. I think the deal they usually have is 8800 tp for $60. The only real drawback is the elite unlock. If you are not an altoholic or if you play toons that are legends, then this is not a problem. I got lucky with a triple point bonus a few years back at the same time the packs were 20% off. Though the money we give for the countless hours of entertainment Is really chicken feed, but it is nice knowing that I have made my money back already by dropping VIP.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

I won't buy the expansion without experiencing it first. Unfortunately, you have to buy it before you can have any say on the development. You have to even buy the expansion just to have access to Lamma and test them out. Its like it doesn't matter that I have played DDO for almost 4 years and even shelled out some money. My say doesn't matter unless I buy the expansion. After last expansion, I want to test it out first before I just pull out my credit card. What if I buy it and than don't like it? I was all set to give up my VIP account at the end of the year, but due to dev communication much better and liking some of the expected changes, I was thinking about giving it another year. The new enhancements and the expansion are the deciders for me right now. At the very least, if VIPs have to buy expansions, they should have full access to Lamma to preview them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    There are other philosophies out there in the world that may suit you better than your current one.

This is tragic.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Last edited by My2Cents; 07-13-2013 at 07:34 PM.