Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Default Dev's Thanks for listening and communicating a lot more

I think the 20 LR is a direct and welcome response to player concerns about their investments in characters being nullified by changes in the pass. Bravo, well done.

Maybe in the future establish a policy of always thinking about this sort of thing when dramatic changes are afoot. a couple months ago announcing pass preview and at the same time "a full respec to let you adapt your characters to the changes" would it seems likely have resulted in lower player attrition... maybe less people running off to test NWO, maybe more of them coming back. IMO the Pass preview appears to have helped scare people away, same with the Epic TR announcement.

It's also obvious and commendable that you have listened to the communities concerns over the Cleric PrE's thanks for that, putting Warpriest on a front burner for after the Expansion pack, and doing a nice job with Divine Disciple (this is a good PrE, my FvS is totally jealous) recognizing that no one liked (much of) Protector.

There are still things the community soundly wants that appear to not be on the table, that many of us hope you consider. Many on the Lam forum hate "AP spent in tree" as an arbitrary prerequisite. This coupled with needing to stuff old "generic class enhancements" into the PrE trees (so that there's something to spend points on to meet the AP spent in tree requirement) are it's fair to say soundly disliked restrictions that only serve to pigeonhole. Please consider using old style (live) pre-requisits (the equivalent to red arrows in the pass) instead of gating via total investment. Better yet instead of Arrows where you need pre-requisits simply increase the AP costs of that enhancement.

Also please consider that an unfun, very limited use enhancement is a failed enhancement, not an opportunity to make someone pay more for a good enhancement. Simply RAISE THE COST of something that is considered too good or too popular. Wand DC heightening to get Scroll mastery is the favored example of this.

If you want people to use Wand DC heightening make it add 3/4/6 to the caster level of the item and make it work on Potions and Scrolls... Guarantee you people will take that enhancement. Add a "Loremaster" enhancement too... 3/4/6 to the caster level of items with clickies (staking with Arti class abilities). Boom two popular enhancements instead of 1 (nearly) universally unwanted enhancement.

(BTW change Iron stomach back to raising caster level please?... and boost it's tiers to 3/4/6 it was fun but in need of a boost before: now it's kinda lame)
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 07-12-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Agreed. The current state of interaction received the Troll Seal of Approval.

Community Member

/signed

Turbine is awesome!

Community Member

i meant to sign the thank you part. i no real opinion on the rest.

Yeah, I have to agree. on the new levels of communication.

I still can respect Turbine making a decision that I don't agree with, once and a while I might be wrong about something (it's true! I saw it on the interwebz), but I find actions that are 'surprizes' or stealthed, or just flat unannounced and unexplained to be repugnant.

Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    I think the 20 LR is a direct and welcome response to player concerns about their investments in characters being nullified by changes in the pass. Bravo, well done.
    I agree wholeheartedly, this is a great job.

Maybe in the future establish a policy of always thinking about this sort of thing when dramatic changes are afoot. a couple months ago announcing pass preview and at the same time "a full respec to let you adapt your characters to the changes" would it seems likely have resulted in lower player attrition
    This is definitely something to keep in mind.

Also please consider that an unfun, very limited use enhancement is a failed enhancement, not an opportunity to make someone pay more for a good enhancement.
    Exactly, making an enhancement worthwhile for its own sake is infinitely better than using it as "filler". If its not used and you don't want to make it desirable, remove it and make a different enhancement.

Thanks again for listening.

I definitely appreciate the increase in communication from the Devs. I would like to see even more of an increase. There is nothing worse when playing an mmo and feeling like a peon in Populous shouting at the sky.
    Ainur Wer'lak Thelanis

Community Member

Yep, only been here a bit for the last few months after a long play gap, but I'm very impressed with what I've seen thus far. Makes me far more likely to keep playing and keep spending money. Especially if the warpriest tree is good.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

Thanks Devs.

Also can you please give my iconic toon some free feat changes as he cant use his +20 heart of wood till U20.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words.
    When will VIPs get beta access?

Sadly my instincts are to be more nervous about them talking more now, it's kind of like the feeling that what they're doing is a distraction for their buddy to sneak behind you and stab you in the back.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Sorry where is it said were getting an LR+20 I've only heard of a regular free LR that doesn't stack with the currently offered one (which was I really cool idea really helps lessen the amount of rerolling needed) can I get a link to the dev post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Sorry where is it said were getting an LR+20 I've only heard of a regular free LR that doesn't stack with the currently offered one (which was I really cool idea really helps lessen the amount of rerolling needed) can I get a link to the dev post
    It's in the dev tracker.

I too really do like the uptick in Dev communication. Keep it up!

Where are you getting this "communicating a lot more" from? I suppose there's been a slight upswing in communication versus times when nothing is being tested, but that's to be expected when they start a dozen+ different threads asking for feedback. But if you go into those individual threads, do you know what you'll find? Most (~80%) of those thread have not a single dev response. Most of the threads that DO have a dev response in them, it's only 1 or 2, and the responses are simply somebody clarifying how an ability works, not actually responding to any comments or suggestions.

I would say the exact opposite of the OP. I would say the level of response in the lamannia threads during the first two open beta previews has been downright disgusting. Check the rogue, fighter, monk, cleric, paladin, FvS, wizard or bard threads. Not a single response in any of those threads, some with 8+ pages of player comments and suggestions. Check almost any of the racial threads. Check ANY thread that has been started by a player. Not a single one of those has ever been responded to.

If you go to the live dev events you'll see things like devs asking if the owlbear pet is too big, while 100 other questions go unanswered. Who cares what size the bleeping pet is, we're hear to preview the new content and changes to game mechanics?!

Anyway. There have been one or two decent comments over the past few months, such as the addition of the +20 LR. That's a fantastic piece of news (though I'd hope it would come with a free racial swap and alignment swap as well, since many people may be stuck TRing anyway to get the race they want, and because they still haven't fixed the problem where you can't eat an alignment swap tome on the LR ship.)

Do you see how happy people get when you actually give them feedback and answer their questions? Please start doing more of this. I think you'll see game satisfaction increase dramatically, even if you don't actually change any of the many things people are complaining about.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Well, I could now say "going up 100% from nothing is still nothing" but even I have to admit that communications now happens more often and from time to time devs even seem to listen to what we are saying at all. If now the game gets better due to this (or if some really stupid ideas are halted before even reaching beta) this is perfect. So thanks for at least showing some signs of live!

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    It's in the dev tracker.
    Yes I know dev posts show up there but unfortunately I know not which one says this...I'd appreciate the actual quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I am with the OP 100%. The devs have done a bang-up job on communication lately and exceeding player expectations. This is what players want: real dev interaction and feedback that is player-focused. We don't want you to give us a "win" button, we are just telling you what makes the game fun to us. When you guys listen and implement changes that we like, we are happy campers. And happy campers mean more players sticking around. I can't tell you how many people in my guild are elated about the +20 LR with the coming expansion. Word has actually gotten around to other folks in the guild who have been taking breaks and some are considering coming back for expansion pack.

I've been playing around on the private beta on Lamannia, and I won't give away any spoilers, but I do love the dev chats and the way devs are responding to players. You guys do excellent work in terms of content. Now I can say you are starting to do excellent work in terms of mechanics. I think as long as the Epic TR issue gets resolved to player satisfaction, you will have earned a great deal of goodwill from existing players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    W000000t! Link please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast