Hybrid View

Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

Default The Official Shadar-Kai Iconic Enhancements Discussion Thread!

We are currently previewing Racial Enhancements on Lamannia.

Please use this thread to share your thoughts on the Shadar-Kai Iconic Enhancement Tree!

You can also discuss the Shadar-Kai Iconic here.
    Last edited by SqueakofDoom; 07-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Initial Thoughts

After rolling-up a new Shadra-Kai, here are my initial thoughts on the S-K Racial Enhancement tree:

Overall, I thought it looked good. The enhancements available seem to be a nice cross-section of abilities.

That said, I am highly disappointed that one must now select the "level 1 core enhancement" in order to "unlock" the tree (this applies to ALL new enhancement trees, as well) AND that the level 1 core enhancement now costs 1 AP (instead of the 0 AP that [at least some of them] they were during "alpha").

Additionally, I still...loathe the idea of having spent AP requirements in general, and spent AP requirements "in the tree" in particular, but especially in any of the racial enhancement trees. In my opinion (and it is just that - *MY* opinion), if one is going to insist on having AP spent requirements (as, unfortunately, seems to be the case), one should still do away with "AP spent in tree" for the racial trees (at least). That is, have the APs spent in any of the class trees count towards APs spent in the racial tree, too.

Of course, the proper way to limit certain abilities is by class/character level (as applicable) and not AP spent requirements (once agin, *MY* opinion, though I know others share it). Because all AP spent requirements do is force people to take enhancements they don't want in order to unlockl the ones they do want. Which is a silly mechanic.

BTW - there is what I assume is a bug for the "Whirling Chain" (tier 5) enhancement in that it says it costs 99 AP. Since I assume we are still going to be limited to 80 AP, there is no way to be able to get this enhancement (we'd need to have over 120 APs if it really does indeed cost 99 APs).

Not sure how to "bug it", though.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

Whirling Chain (T5) was set to 99AP for this round on Lamannia because it wasn't quite ready for action. It will be set to a normal AP cost in an upcoming Lamannia patch.

Very very disappointed by these Racial Enhancements.

Let's start with the basis:

Core:

Tier 1: Useless but you must take it. You get up faster when stabilized? Who cares?

Tier 2: The usual +Dex/Int/Wis. WHY WIS? For a rogue?! Make it STR.

Tier 3: "You become invisible and are able to move through monsters as if you were ethereal for SIX seconds". Is this even serious? What kind of ability is this? It has ZERO uses with such a short duration. You can't even skip 3 mobs that it turns off. Cooldown 1 min (reduced to 30 sec with Tier 5 lol) J U N K.

Tier 4: "You become invisible and charge forward. During the jaunt, you are able to through monsters as if you were ethereal, lasts 6 seconds" Same as above. Are you guys trying to make all the abilities the same? We have already tumble in EDs (Magister) that pass through enemies and guess who uses it? Noone.

Tier 5: "The cooldown of T3 and T4 are reduced to 30 seconds. In addition, when you use either ability, nearby allies become partially incorporeal" 15% Incorporeal for 6 seconds. Another piece of junk. 5% more than Ghostly, 10% less than Shadow form Shadow fade. No reason to take this at all.

Now to the Racial enhancement themselves:

Tier 1:

Spiked Chain attack (SCA from now on): AoE melee attack that deals 1d6+4 + 1d6 per level to all nearby enemies. Reflex save for half damage. This would actually be decent IF AND ONLY IF it didn't stop you. When you cast it, you stand in the stand, you can't move, can't do anything. If it stays like this, noone will bother with this.

Keen Sense: +1 Listen/Search/Spot

Bold: Fear and Shaken removed after 12/8/4 seconds. Not too bad.

Student of the Pain: When you take damage, you have a 5/10/15% chance to gain 10 AC for 12 seconds. Is this serious? 10 AC? On a rogue? Make is 30 PRR and then we can talk about it. 15% is too low anyway. Up it to 30%.

Stealthy: +1/2/3 Hide and MS

Tier 2:

Vicious Chain: Spiked chain has a chance to cause bleed (Can stack up to 3 times, maybe more but the timer doesn't let you stack it more than 3 times). An addition to Spiked chain so FIX SPIKED CHAIN.

Improved Dodge: Pre-req DODGE feat: +1/2/3 Dodge when wearing light armor or no armor. Good.

Ghostly essence: "When you are below 50% HP, on hit you gain a 25% Incorporality for 6/12/18 seconds. CAN ONLY OCCUR ONCE EVERY TWO MINUTES". The last sentence makes this ability trash. Also, didn't you get the memo that abilities that requires you to be at certain thresold of HP ARE JUNK?

Guile: +1 SA.

Shadow smoke: "Use an action charge to give allies +5/10/15 Hide and MS". Read it again. Should I need to tell you why these is useless? Using an action boost to give 15 HIDE AND MS?

Tier 3:

Slashing chain: Your SCA deals an additional 1d10 slashing damage. FIX SCA.

Forceful chain: Your SCA has a chance to knock enemies down. Chances seems about a 15%. Decent. FIX SCA.

Improved Ghostly essence: when Ghostly essence triggers, all nearby allies gain Incorporality for 6/12/18 seconds. Same problem as Ghostly essence.

Guilde: +1 SA

Tier 4:

Whirling chain: FIX SCA.

Nothing is Hidden: Auto-Search skill check at -12/-8/-4 Penalty. Meh.

Winter Favored: Toggle: 1d6 extra cold damage and 5 cold resistance. Finally something useful. You can have Winter Favored, Venomed blades and Precision all ON at the same time.

Gloom stalker: While in sneak, your weapons make the target vulnerable to SA. Can also blind. No idea why would someone attack from sneak. Bad idea.

Overall, I don't like them. The chain could be nice if it allowed you to move while using it. The only good ability here is Winter favored. I also expected more SA dice. Halflings gain more SA than this Iconic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Reroll.

Hero, Mo Bro H'ro, & MB Super-H'ro ComicRelief's Avatar

Default Ah - Good to Know

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Whirling Chain (T5) was set to 99AP for this round on Lamannia because it wasn't quite ready for action. It will be set to a normal AP cost in an upcoming Lamannia patch.
    Cool. I did figure out how to "bug it", though - so I did.
    "...At least it tells us they understand our language; they're just not willing to speak to us in it. -Who knew they were French?"

The racial core enhancements are quite idiotic! In fact any buff or buff like ability that you get for 6-12 sec is completely and utterly useless in the game. Hell, it takes longer than 6sec to move a toon with all the lag on live these days

Also, like the 1st post says, the compulsory cost of the 1st AP in a tree is too much. While creating a toon, I find myself taking mostly the things I don't want just so that I can unlock one or two I do need. And this leaves me with no AP to spend on 2nd/3rd tree that I might have wanted to take. This, when I'm not even multiclassing...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alistina View Post
    The racial core enhancements are quite idiotic! In fact any buff or buff like ability that you get for 6-12 sec is completely and utterly useless in the game. Hell, it takes longer than 6sec to move a toon with all the lag on live these days
    It's not useless. Ive been trapped in narrow confines with no way to escape because I could neither jump above, through, or around mobs. It enables you to keep a single front when in a fight. I know several uses I would make of it.... While not "omgpowerwutrudoing", it DEFINITELY has valid, useful, repeat use purposes.

Also: Gloomstalker? It makes them vuln to SA. IE, things like, oh, elementals, golems, undead, undead, undead, general constructs, edge cases, undead are all sneakable. With enough dice and focused SA, you can take down any problem child. Its a one shot version of the thief capstone without having to have a thief capstone. And if your hide is large enough, you can use it multiple times in a fight. It is far far far far far far far from useless.
    Last edited by Scrag; 07-13-2013 at 07:49 AM.