Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fit 9/Wiz11 Is this a feasible build? And how will I go about it?

Hi, I really want to try the following build for the fun and uniqueness factors of it:

-Half-Orc
    -Fighter 9 / Wizard 11 (OR Fighter 8 / Wizard 11 / ??? 1)
    -CON and STR focused build with INT taking a backseat.
    -Buff-centric spellcasting. No Selfheals, since not WF.
    -Mediocre SP pool.
    -Tenser's Transformation is the core goal of this build.
    -32pt build, non-reincarnate.
    -Most probably will use Purple Dragon Knight Iconic Hero, to skip the difficulty of lower levels this build would face.
    EDIT:
    -Will probably go Two-Handed Fighting
    -Won't buy Tomes from DDO store, but will hopefully collect at least +2's for INT, STR and CON.

Now, I'm not an expert at DDO, so I have no idea if this build is actually going to be a total failure or not, which is why I'm here. Most importantly, is Tenser's Transformation useful for a battle caster, or is it in actuality a completely useless spell, and not at all worth taking 11 levels of Wizard for?
    Fighter level 9 doesn't seem to be much of a necessity, so the build is technically open for a 3rd class, but I don't see any obvious choices there. Rogue would make sense, but I don't think I'm not sure if I will have the INT required for being a trapper. (However, I might be wrong? Do I 'need' a high base INT to trap well?)

Any general tips on how to go about this build would be appreciated. I don't want to be a hardcore Epic Elite farm master with this character, so it's okay if I'm not the best party member, as long as I can actually kill things properly and/or stay alive.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 07-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Actually, wait, what's the Race of Purple Dragon Knight? I might have to start at Vet 7 on a normal character...

My first thought seeing this is that a split of 8 fighter/12 wizard probably works better. When the new enhancements hit, a completely different split may prove to be optimal.

P.S. In the current enhancement setup, wizard 12 would get you wraith form as a pale master, which gives a 25% incorporeal miss chance. You would also have some access to self healing from it. Again, might be totally different after update 19.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 07-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.

I'd probly go 12/6/2 wizard/fighter/monk for something like this..
    12 wizard for wraith form (and buffs), fighter for feats/martial prof/Stalwart (Kensei I is meh imo) and 2 monk for 2 feats and evasion.
    This gives 1 more feat than your planned build, evasion, 25% incorp and self healing.

I mean, hell. I've never seen a wraith toting a ESoS, it could be funny to watch!
    Tensers isn't quite worth 11 (or 12) levels imo. If you feel like building for it, sure. You'll still be able to solo eHard, and if you have fun, who cares?
    And no - you do not need a high int to be a trapper. (Not sure about EE... I've never tried to disarm them)
    Having said that, on a fighter, you need int for skill points... which was the death knell of some of my builds.

Interesting, I didn't think about Pale Master at all. Not sure if I want to do it from a role-play perspective (Smart, civilized Horc, etc.) but I can certainly see a lot of extra potential it would give the build. In the case I skip Pale Master, in what ways would 12th wizard level be useful?

Also, I really need advice on what order to take the levels in. If I can't start at level 15, I'd like to get some melee prowess started early, but if possible, I don't want to leave Wiz 11 for level 19-20. (I'd really like to get my hands on Tenser's sooner than later, but only if rushing it won't gimp me.)

Okay, so right now, I am thinking Wizard 12 / Fighter 6 / Rogue 2.

What I need to know now, is how to level. I have no idea what level to start with. Actually, I have no idea what classes to take at every level.

If you plan on using an iconic and starting at level 15, the leveling order probably doesn't matter all that much. Personally at level 15 i would want to have all 12 wizard levels, both rogue levels, and then one fighter level for proficiencies, one toughness enhancement, and haste boost, which will stack with the spell haste.

Taking insightful reflexes will depend on how much intelligence you have. Since you will probably dump it, i would just get a little bit of dex so you have a chance at making evasion checks. Look into the parasitic breastplate from the harbinger of madness chain. You can upgrade it in the follow up pack to have a +10 bonus to reflex save.

Okay, so I had a couple of PM's and talked to some players through Steam chat, and this is what I came up with. Comments and advice will be much appreciated:

-I will start a Vet 7, since Iconic Hero's race is unsure. If it's a H-orc I will probably reroll.

-Starting Abilities:
    INT: 16
    STR: 16
    CON: 16
    Level up points all into STR.

No DEX. I don't mind not having good evasion. I'm a Half Orc anyway. I'll just learn to deal with it. Never wanted to be primary trapper anyways.

-2 levels of Rogue -> 6 levels of Wizard -> 6 levels of Fighter -> 6 levels of Wizard.

-My skills will be focused on Disable Device and Open Lock maxed, while Search will take a bit of a hit, as I can only spend half a point into it at every level.

-I will pick up Pale Master II and Stalwart Defender I

-Feats summary:
    Diehard for Stalwart Defender I
    Skill Focus: Search
    Extend Spell
    Greater Necromancy for Wraith or Vampire
    Improved Mental Toughness
    Greater Two Handed Fighting
    Slashing -> Power Crit -> Improved Slashing (So basically Greatsword user.)
    Medium Armor Proficiency (It's what I want to wear. I know spellcasting won't be fun, but meh.)
    1 Toughness Feat

-Enchantments:
    Will figure this out as I go. Obviously I will take the prestige requirements, and will probably focus on fighting abilities and CON/STR buffing.

Spells:
    -Purely Self-Buffs and Pale Master Self Healing.

So far, I'm pretty excited for this build. It seems to be surprisingly versatile. Let me know if I committed an over-sight on something!
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 07-12-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Half ranks into OL, max search. Most locks are a joke, but search is something you actually need to be good. If you can't get a chest, you'll live. If you can't find a box, hah!

Skill:focus search is pointless if you max search - and have decent gear, of course
    Medium armour prof, same deal. Fighter will give that to you - dumping a feat on it is absurdity imo.
    Why did you take power crit? What's this "slashing" feat? (and improved slashing)?
    Did you mean http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Critical?

*edit* Also worth considering, dropping THF line for power attack, g/cleave, then taking OC at level 21. (this would require a +2 str tome)
    That's just a thought, not sure how much mileage you'll get from GTHF :P
    Also, you're a full BAB (tensers) fighter... Not having power attack is a sin!
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 07-12-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Half ranks into OL, max search. Most locks are a joke, but search is something you actually need to be good. If you can't get a chest, you'll live. If you can't find a box, hah!
    This makes complete sense, you're right. This is my inexperience showing, haha.

Medium armour prof, same deal. Fighter will give that to you - dumping a feat on it is absurdity imo.
    So I can wear Medium Armor without taking the feat?

Why did you take power crit?
    Just a random feat choice, I can change that.

What's this "slashing" feat? (and improved slashing)?
    Weapon Focus and Improved Weapon Focus in Slashing Category.

Also worth considering, dropping THF line for power attack, g/cleave, then taking OC at level 21. (this would require a +2 str tome)
    That's just a thought, not sure how much mileage you'll get from GTHF :P
    Well, I will be probably using Greatswords exclusively, I figured I should empower them with the Two-Handed line.
    EDIT: I can switch Medium Armor for G. Cleave then.
    EDIT2: Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me like I can take both the line you're talking about for OC AND the THF line. I might be wrong though.

Also, you're a full BAB (tensers) fighter... Not having power attack is a sin!
    From what you say, I think I'll exchange Power Crit for Power Attack.
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 07-12-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Right, so far this is my build:
    http://www.ddochargen.com/home.aspx?build=55249

It might be the best it will get. If there's room for improvement, I don't know where that room is.
    Looks pretty sick.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    So I can wear Medium Armor without taking the feat?
    With Fighter Levels you can wear ANY Armour you like.

You will of course face Spell Failure chance though.

Just a random feat choice, I can change that.
    Power Crit has been buffed recently but still not a top of the range feat choice.

Weapon Focus and Improved Weapon Focus in Slashing Category.
    The only reason to take these is for Kensai Prereqs - As you're going Stalwart you now have 2 free feats to play with

Swap to Imp Crit Slash and Power Attack

Well, I will be probably using Greatswords exclusively, I figured I should empower them with the Two-Handed line.
    EDIT: I can switch Medium Armor for G. Cleave then.
    EDIT2: Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me like I can take both the line you're talking about for OC AND the THF line. I might be wrong though.

G. Cleave requires both PA and Cleave so Cleave here.

From what you say, I think I'll exchange Power Crit for Power Attack.
    Ah and here you can take G.Cleave.

Also - No way should you take your second Rogue Level at Lvl 2 - You'll need this later on to catch up on your trap skills!

1 Rogue - Toughness
    2 Fighter - Power Attack
    3 Wizard - Mental Toughness, Insightful Reflexes
    4 Wizard
    5 Wizard
    6 Wizard - Spell Focus Necro, Extend
    7 Wizard
    8 Wizard
    9 Rogue - Two Handed Fighting
    10 Fighter - Cleave
    11 Wizard
    12 Wizard - Greater Spell Focus Necro, Great Cleave
    13 Fighter - Imp Two Handed Fighting
    14 Fighter
    15 Fighter - Diehard, Imp Crit {If you can take this earlier do so}
    16 Fighter
    17 Fighter - Greater Two Handed Fighting
    18 Wizard - Augment Summoning {For Blackbones} or your Skill Focus of Choice
    19 Wizard
    20 Wizard - Maximize, Heighten, Spell Pen {your choice as it seems you basically have a FREE Feat here}

I concur with what FranOhmsford says.
    With the slight exception, which is I'm not a fan of Augment Gimplings!
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 07-12-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Had a stupid moment

Just my opinion, but if you make a melee oriented arcane, you pretty much have to go all in. This means giving up completely on any spellcasting that relies on having dc's or spell penetration. They just won't work well enough.

So i wouldn't even consider taking heighten or a spell pen feat. Just stick to the damage spells that don't use these.

I'm pretty happy with what the two handed fighting chain gives. With all 3 feats, it basically gives you 50% of your base damage again on most hits, and all cleaves. It's pretty significant if you can fit it in.

Also, the enhancement pass is coming in just over a month, so you might want to hold off a bit unless you can get this thing leveled up to 20 with plans to do a true reincarnation before then. Having 6 fighter levels at that point might not be such a good thing.

Also, if you don't care about evasion, and you're not really focusing on trapping, why have 2 rogue levels? If you wear medium armor evasion won't even work at all.

You need greater necromancy focus to get the wraith form. I would take maximize for those times when you do want to use spells to damage things. I would only take these from the free ones that you get with wizard. Quicken or extend might be useful, but probably not mandatory for this build.

Power attack, the thf chain, improved critical, cleave, great cleave and toughness. That's basically the ideal feat setup for a two handed fighter. You probably won't be able to fit all these in, but maybe, since you should get 3 extra feats from fighter.

I still think you should go to the wiki and check out the probable changes to the way the enhancements will work before settling in on a build though. You will be able to change your feat selections when that happens, but it's not at all clear that you will be able to change your numbers of class levels, so keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    Just my opinion, but if you make a melee oriented arcane, you pretty much have to go all in. This means giving up completely on any spellcasting that relies on having dc's or spell penetration. They just won't work well enough.

So i wouldn't even consider taking heighten or a spell pen feat. Just stick to the damage spells that don't use these.

I'm pretty happy with what the two handed fighting chain gives. With all 3 feats, it basically gives you 50% of your base damage again on most hits, and all cleaves. It's pretty significant if you can fit it in.

Also, the enhancement pass is coming in just over a month, so you might want to hold off a bit unless you can get this thing leveled up to 20 with plans to do a true reincarnation before then. Having 6 fighter levels at that point might not be such a good thing.

Also, if you don't care about evasion, and you're not really focusing on trapping, why have 2 rogue levels? If you wear medium armor evasion won't even work at all.

You need greater necromancy focus to get the wraith form. I would take maximize for those times when you do want to use spells to damage things. I would only take these from the free ones that you get with wizard. Quicken or extend might be useful, but probably not mandatory for this build.

Power attack, the thf chain, improved critical, cleave, great cleave and toughness. That's basically the ideal feat setup for a two handed fighter. You probably won't be able to fit all these in, but maybe, since you should get 3 extra feats from fighter.

I still think you should go to the wiki and check out the probable changes to the way the enhancements will work before settling in on a build though. You will be able to change your feat selections when that happens, but it's not at all clear that you will be able to change your numbers of class levels, so keep that in mind.
    Oh he can definitely fit all those Fighter Must haves in.

And his FINAL Wizard Feat is pretty much free - Maximize as good as anything for me.

Pretty sure Extend is a pretty handy feat for a Caster who's main spellcasting is gonna be buffs!

If you don't want Augment Summon then your Lvl 18 Feat is also FREE!

Choices incl.
    Skill Focus: Disable, Search, UMD
    Power Critical {not a great feat but useful since it was buffed}
    Another Toughness
    Precision - A Nice alternative to having Power Attack on all the time
    Combat Expertise {you have the Int and if you ever want to turtle up could come in handy}
    Weapon Focus {weak feat other than as a Pre-Req but still a buff to your Greatsword}.

Right, so far this is my build:
    http://www.ddochargen.com/home.aspx?build=55249

It might be the best it will get. If there's room for improvement, I don't know where that room is.
    Looks pretty sick.
    i'll take the soul's feat list and do some changes because you said you only wanted sp for buffs(so not gonna use lvlups in int = useless trying to raise your dc)

1 Rogue - Toughness
    2 Fighter - Power Attack
    3 Wizard - Augment summoning (you'll prolly use hires or summons), Cleave
    4 Wizard
    5 Wizard
    6 Wizard - Great Cleave (the sooner the better, alternate cleave with gcleave)
    7 Wizard- Extend Spell(haste and rage double time from the beginning)
    8 Wizard
    9 Rogue - Two Handed Fighting
    10 Fighter - Improved two handed fighting
    11 Wizard
    12 Wizard - Improved critical (the sooner the better)
    13 Fighter
    14 Fighter - Diehard
    15 Fighter - Dodge
    16 Fighter - Greater two handed fighting
    17 Wizard- quicken spell (if you're using pale master, if not grab eschew materials, you won't have much inventory to spare lol)
    18 Wizard - Mobility
    19 Wizard
    20 Wizard - Enlarge spell (or mental toughness, not much to choose, with enlarge your double time buffs, now will have double range, so with 1 haste+1 rage everyone will be buffed)

Think you have everything, buffs for you and party with efficient sp cost, ignore materials, pets and hires with buffed stats, some damage avoidance and focused in thf with the feats you have(remember that PA,cleave and gcleave>thf line, always)

About skills...at lvl 1 max search, disable device, open lock, tumble, use magic device, balance

during lvl up: search>disable device>umd>balance>whatever>open lock>spot>listen

please, with your base stats won't be able to spot traps, listen mobs or open locks, so just ignore em, if wanna roleplay is ok lvling open lock, but please!! always 1st search, disable and umd (you'll prolly have to use scrolls or wands to heal yourself if not going pm, also balance will help you in melee, you must know it)

if you have a REAL healer then is ok not maxing umd, if you're using hire will need more than pots to heal yourself, their AI is amazingly dumb

Also you'll need search and disable device items, to put em on when trapping(not useful rest of time, just situational), with that, you'll prolly be able to do every trap, at least til hard, maybe even in elite

starting points:
    need to hit 23 str at lvl 21 for everhelming critical, keep it in mind(so you're gonna grab the +2 str tome from favor, you didn't know it yet XD)
    so 16 str base (+2 tome +5 lvl ups = 23 at lvl 21)
    16 int base(at least you have a nice base for trapping, having a int item in the sack is useful when trapping too)
    rest con (16 is nice, 14 is ok)
    if have some points to spare put em in cha for umd, if not gonna use umd put em in wis for will, in last case in dex for reflex

keep in mind if you're gonna role play that toon is a it OP for what use to see in there, just have fun!
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Eh, my leveling order would be 1 rog (duh), 12 wizard, 6 fighter, 1 rogue. (in that order)
    Trap skills, wraith form ASAP, feats, last rogue for skill points. Or 13 wizard, neither will matter much. That's just me, and I have a ton of gear for low-bab and low str toons to back me up. (And I value self healing. A lot.)
    Hell, at low levels I can just use scorching ray and stomp stuff. (because stuff is weak)

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Imo opinion the best split is wizard12/fighter 6/rogue2...i'll break down why. (Note: So far the enhancement pass is a huge hit to this build especially the need to put skill points into Heal for neg-energy spellpower so bear that in mind)

Wizard 12

Wraith Form: 25% Incorp gives a huge survivability boost , +20 Balance means you don't need to put more than a few skill points in here (ie. Level 1 Rogue), Undead Traits (Free 100% Fort, Feather Fall, A few awesome immunities)

Death Aura/Neg Burst/Harm Scrolls: This type of build is almost entirely reliant on neg energy as a form of healing mainly Death Aura and Harm/Neg Burst (mostly Neg Burst until you have a good stack of Harms) for emergency healing. Again this is a huge boost to survivability...Lesser Death Aura is pointless BTW don't bother.

Really those are the two main reasons and their incredibly awesome but of course we can't forget about spells Of course there's various buffs you'll hit yourself with and a few non-buff signature spells. Oh and get Extend fast it's pretty much required for Tenser's, Death Aura and Haste

Night Shield - Magic missile immunity is more useful than you'd think, also the bonus saves is nice until you get a resistance item.

Detect Secret Doors - Combined with Open lock gets alot more loot (trust me you won't have the skill points to fit search...Int is not an important stat for a Wraith Tank)

Expeditious Retreat - As much as Turbine seems to hate it when players move being able to increase your base speed actually helps survivibilty alot, run around like a chicken with your head cut cleaving and swinging your chosen weapon alot less attack will hit you and of course the faster you are the more effective this tactic is

Ice Storm - On the note of moving around, here's your arena this is your movement space combine this spell and you'll be laughing, the best part is this and many other Cold spells (ie. Niac's Biting Cold DoT) have no save or soell resistance so are great for multi-class wizards

Herosim/Greater Heroism - Bonus to saves and skills whats not to like

Haste - Oh god now you move even faster and you attack faster (the bonus to AC & DOdge % is nice too)

Tenser's - Used to be useless is now amazing and along with Palemaster is the reason I made a Batlle Wizard...bonus to your Str, Dex AND Con (your three main stats), plus SIX AC, and Fighter BAB...too bad its such a short buff. The downsides...DC and Spell Pen penalties...well our DCs suck anyway...biggest annpyance though is the cooldown increase but Ice storm, Tenser's, Haste and Death Aura's cool downs is still shorter than its duration and thats really all that matters.

There's other but don't really need an explanation.

Fighter 6

Stalwart Defender 1 - Seriously if this was the only reason, well I'd probably rather go Paladin 6 but it's not...but seriously +2 Str/Con, +1 to all saves,10 PRR, +10% HP (you NEED this your wiz levels really don't help your HP) and of course +25% Bonus Threat more when your wielding a shield..which you will be.

4 Bonus Feats - You NEED these are are the only reason your not going Paladin 6

Rogue 2

- Evasion: Again another huge survivability boost and since your Dex is gonna be so high (and you have a buch of buffs) to meet the MDB of light armor + fighter enhancements + Stalwart defender your going to have an awesome reflex

- Unlocking OL & UMD: Mainly UMD but like Detect secret doors you get a bunch of extra loot and even xp (optionals) from this with just a few points...boost OL and Balance on your rogue levels...this is the main reason for not going Monk...basically if ONLY for Harm UMD is worth it. Despite the essential loss of 2 feats (prob lightning reflexes and toughness) by not going Monk.

Thats about it...the synergies between these classes is almost a work of art one I've refined 100s of times by now (search my threads if you want it's changed so much)

Anyways here's my build for reference (and no the THF is not worth it to the build...it doesn't bring enough aespecially to a build that focuses so much on mobility)

Code:
    True Neutral Dwarf Wiz12/Fighter6/Rogue2 PM2/SD1

Str 16 (Lvl-ups here)
    Dex 16
    Con 16
    Int 14 (+2 Int Tome at level 7)

Skills: Intimidate, Concentration, UMD (OL and Balance on Rogue Levels) 

Level Order: Rogue 1, Wiz 2-8, Fighter 9, Rogue10, Wiz 11-15, Fighter 16-20

Feats

1 Toughness
    2 Extend (W)
    3 Power Attack
    6 Empower, SF: Necro (W)
    9 GSF:Necro, Shield Mastery (F)
    12 Combat Expertise
    13 Maximize (W)
    15 Mental Toughness
    16 IC:Slashing (F)
    18 Cleave, Improved Shield Mastery (F)
    20 Great Cleave (F)
    ED Draconic Incarnation
    21 Overwhelming Critical
    24 Bulwark of Defense

I've finally hit Epic on this guy and whilst he was amazing through Heroic (trust me its really fun proving the raid healer wrong who keeps insisting you should turn your undead form off so she can heal you if your planning on tanking) unfortunately so far none of the Epic destinies I've tried really suit this build. All the caster trees require DCs (and Fatesinger is sheit) for half their abilities, Shadow Dancer is nice but counter intuitive to your role as a tank, Shiradi would be nice but Ice Storm and Biting Cold are really your only offensive spells and probably wouldn't proc often enough to matter, Legendary Dreadnought is far to focused on Power Attack (although there's a few things you may want to twist from it) and since your in Combat Expertise mode 99% of the time it's not an option. I'd say your best bets are either Fury of the Wild or Draconic Incanation but really those are the best of the worst (and FOTW is a pain to get to so I'd say Draconic Incarnation) just know anything with a DC in Draconic needs to be ignored.

Oh and to clarify the build still works just fine in Epic is just disappointing that none of the EDs fit very well. Actually this is a good build for people who don't have EDs :P

Sidenote: I don't bother with Palemaster until Wraith Form so take Necro Archmage until than purely for the bonus spell points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Actually, wait, what's the Race of Purple Dragon Knight? I might have to start at Vet 7 on a normal character...
    It looks like PDKs are human, Morninglords are elves, and Shadar-kai are, err, Shadar-kai (new race for DDO).
    Okay, so right now, I am thinking Wizard 12 / Fighter 6 / Rogue 2.
    You can see my take on this build here.

A lot of the feat requirements currently on live will vanish when the new enhancement pass goes live, Spell Focus: Necromancy prereqs for PM being one of them. This will free up more feats in the future as they won't be necessary for Shroud of the Wraith. Weapon Finesse will also become viable as some races/classes will let you apply your DEX to damage. 12 levels of Wizard will still be the number to stick with, but you may be able to play around with the Fighter and Rogue levels. I tried a 12 Wizard Pale Master/8 Rogue Assassin Drow max-DEX TWF Finesse build on Lamannia and it was pretty fun. More than enough skill points to keep stealth and trap skills maxed. Fury of the Wild ED for Adrenaline and Sense Weakness, and maybe twist in Symmetric Strikes from Primal.

I figure we'll all be getting, at the very least, a free LR when it hits. You can build for the current game and respec when the new enhancements come.
    Morgulion Romenion Zandrine Zeldaryne The Order of Cygnus Sarlona
    Quote Originally Posted by BitkaCK2
    There are no bugs in this game, only unintended features.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast