Community Member

Default Looking for fighter build suggestions for TR addict

(I know there's a fighter group but it has no posts in the last two weeks.)

I'm continuing with my slow road to completionist with my single character. The goal here is not to get there as quickly as possible but to learn what each class is like to play. My priorities are immersion in the class and having fun while doing it, with "fun" generally also implying being able to kill stuff quickly while not dying myself. Past lives will be Clr, Wiz, Barb, Sorc, Pal, Art, and fighter is next.

Because I want to really see what each class is like, I usually go with a pure build. However, playing an artificer has gotten me addicted to being able to do traps. So I was considering "cheating" this time and maybe going with 2 rogue levels to start. Also hoping this will help me get a bit more UMD for increased survivability.

I was thinking about going two-weapon this time around, but not sure that makes sense given that I have a lot of good two-handers (including a lit2) and not much in the way of one-handers.

How feasible is it to get UMD high enough as a rogue/fighter to be self-sufficient? I do have the benefit of a +6 Cha skills GS item and a universal tome.

Any build suggestions or thoughts appreciated. How long I stick with this beyond 20 before I TR again will depend on how much I enjoy it, but I usually get bored with epic after a few weeks at most.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Qaliya; 07-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.

I'm no authority on fighters, but I just finished my fighter life as a greatsword kensei and was quite happy with it. I recommend playing with the combat maneuvers (trip & sunder) and getting stunning blow. Don't know how you play, but I had no trouble with traps on elite. Generally I either knew where to avoid that bad ones or I had the hp to tank through. (Expeditious Retreat/Haste clickies can help you move through some traps without taking damage.) I didn't bother with UMD but I have a lot of cookies and event pots to compensate.

Good gear is a help. Always carry pots (and elixirs if you have spare collectibles). Use maneuvers for a little CC. Get used to the hireling AI if you solo. And most importantly,..... remember to turn Power Attack on! *grumbles at Turbine*

Community Member

Thanks. I was going to specialize in Trip, figuring it is what little CC I can really get as a fighter. I also have a pile of two-handed paralyzers from level 10 up, part of why I was thinking of going THF.

How does wielding a pair of khopeshes compare to a greataxe though? Maybe I should try and find out for myself.

Self-healing is the part I am dreading. I detest SF pots and though I have tons of collectibles, I'm not likely to get enough elixirs to last very long. Maybe 2 rogue / 2 pally / 16 fighter is worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    (I know there's a fighter group but it has no posts in the last two weeks.)

I'm continuing with my slow road to completionist with my single character. The goal here is not to get there as quickly as possible but to learn what each class is like to play. My priorities are immersion in the class and having fun while doing it, with "fun" generally also implying being able to kill stuff quickly while not dying myself. Past lives will be Clr, Wiz, Barb, Sorc, Pal, Art, and fighter is next.

Because I want to really see what each class is like, I usually go with a pure build. However, playing an artificer has gotten me addicted to being able to do traps. So I was considering "cheating" this time and maybe going with 2 rogue levels to start. Also hoping this will help me get a bit more UMD for increased survivability.

I was thinking about going two-weapon this time around, but not sure that makes sense given that I have a lot of good two-handers (including a lit2) and not much in the way of one-handers.

How feasible is it to get UMD high enough as a rogue/fighter to be self-sufficient? I do have the benefit of a +6 Cha skills GS item and a universal tome.

Any build suggestions or thoughts appreciated. How long I stick with this beyond 20 before I TR again will depend on how much I enjoy it, but I usually get bored with epic after a few weeks at most.

Thanks.
    On my fighter life i went 18fighter/2rogue, 1st lvl as rogue, 2nd lvl of rogue when you want, i took it at lvl 8-9, don't remember exactly. Maximizing umd, with GS item, you could start scroll healing reliably at around lvl 12-13, before that wands and pots are usually enough. I went human for the healing amplification and got Manyshot as well. Craft some GS displacement clickies if you have none If you have lots of 2-handers use those, no need to get 2-handed fighting feats either, just get cleave and great cleave, Manyshot and tactical feats are way more useful than some more DPS
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Community Member

Yeah not sure how I am going to work ranged into this. I guess fighters get a lot of feats but I don't have any experience with a melee/ranged build.

Would a good two-hander still out-DPS a pair of good khopeshes?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah not sure how I am going to work ranged into this. I guess fighters get a lot of feats but I don't have any experience with a melee/ranged build.

Would a good two-hander still out-DPS a pair of good khopeshes?

Thanks for the reply.
    Get enough Dex for manyshot, and take all its prerequisites I do not know if while lvling a good 2-hander is better than 2 good khopeshes, but between cleave, great cleave and manyshot your dps is good enough to hit 20 without problems

The 2 lvls of rogue grant you full UMD, a little of Open Lock and a decent evasion
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Community Member

Might want to consider holding off on Fighter till the EP, push it back one life...the EP is going to introduce a lot more active skills that will put a lot more tools in your melee toolbox...or if not, you'll get better and faster Trapping. You might be more tempted to splash in something else alongside Rogue and Fighter (like Druid for Beguile, hint hint), but a Halfling fighter will get the Healing Dragonmark line as enhancements, not feats, and that'll be a lot more soloable. And I think Fighter Extra Action Boost will increase your Dragonmark uses too, no?

Is it that you want to stop and physically disable the traps for the xp bonus? Because in all likelihood your reflex saves won't be very good; for elite traps you won't evade much. (But you'll probably evade every evadable spell.)

You mention self-healing; I'm having a blast on my 12/8 kensei cleric. His self-healing works just fine, but he has low reflex saves and no trapping ability. As it turns out, traps aren't particularly difficult to twitch through. (My first 5 lives all had evasion and most had trapping skills, so I never needed to learn twitch skills until a recent cleric life. It's really not too bad.)

In terms of how it plays, it does give the fighter gameplay experience. The key difference is that you can heal yourself with your bluebar.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    The 2 lvls of rogue grant you full UMD, a little of Open Lock and a decent evasion
    That was sort of my thinking, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Might want to consider holding off on Fighter till the EP, push it back one life...the EP is going to introduce a lot more active skills that will put a lot more tools in your melee toolbox...or if not, you'll get better and faster Trapping.
    Thanks. But aren't a lot of classes going to have new tools?

Are there any classes that I would be particularly better off doing before the EP? The others I was considering were rogue and druid.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Is it that you want to stop and physically disable the traps for the xp bonus? Because in all likelihood your reflex saves won't be very good; for elite traps you won't evade much. (But you'll probably evade every evadable spell.)
    I hate dying, and I hate not being able to effectively solo because of fear of dying. I'd like to be able to do traps, even if it's for a little while and stops being enough at the higher levels. I also figure the rogue levels will help with UMD for self-healing and other things, and the evasion will help a little here and there I'd think.

In terms of how it plays, it does give the fighter gameplay experience. The key difference is that you can heal yourself with your bluebar.
    It looks like a neat build. I'll think it over. I've never played a fighter before and subjectively it just seems like I wouldn't really be able to get a good feel for being a fighter if I only have 12 levels, but then a fighter is not like a caster where missing the high levels means you miss essential spells, right?

What about a 12/6/2 fighter/cleric/rogue? Could be interesting. Of course I have no real idea what I'm doing but that doesn't matter too much.

I've never played a fighter before and subjectively it just seems like I wouldn't really be able to get a good feel for being a fighter if I only have 12 levels, but then a fighter is not like a caster where missing the high levels means you miss essential spells, right?
    Fighters generally spam cleave, great cleave, stunning blow, action boosts (haste, plus damage if human or helf) and possibly improved trip and improved sunder. It's pretty active combat. I don't use trip or sunder but I don't feel lacking in clickie attacks since cleave & great cleave have pretty short cooldowns.

You are correct that it's not like a caster who loses casting ability for every level they splash. 12 fighter gets to take every tactical dc boost. (Mine maxes the stunning blow line with stunning blow IV.)

What about a 12/6/2 fighter/cleric/rogue? Could be interesting. Of course I have no real idea what I'm doing but that doesn't matter too much.
    The 7th cleric level gives fom and dw, which I found super nice. Not required, I suppose.

Community Member

Fighters generally spam cleave, great cleave, stunning blow, action boosts (haste, plus damage if human or helf) and possibly improved trip and improved sunder. It's pretty active combat. I don't use trip or sunder but I don't feel lacking in clickie attacks since cleave & great cleave have pretty short cooldowns.
    Yeah, I remember this from my barb and pally lives. (I went 2HF DPS build for my pally and he did pretty well with cleave, great cleave and the paladin enhancements where you give up 1 HP and 5 SP to do extra damage in an arc.) I tend to ignore action boosts, because you just get so few of them and they are so short that I can't be bothered.

You are correct that it's not like a caster who loses casting ability for every level they splash. 12 fighter gets to take every tactical dc boost. (Mine maxes the stunning blow line with stunning blow IV.)

The 7th cleric level gives fom and dw, which I found super nice. Not required, I suppose.
    Yeah, I saw that. I do have two DW clickies which have been enough for me so far; FOM is nice but usually not essential.

I think I may start with 2 rogue levels, then take a couple of fighter levels and see how it goes. If at higher levels I find that my healing is lagging I may add a few cleric levels.

Thanks.

Community Member

I was going to specialize in Trip, figuring it is what little CC I can really get as a fighter.
    You can actually get quite a bit of CC as a fighter. My platform for melee lives usually includes 6-8 FTR solely for tactical feats and feat DC enhancements. It's frightening how much of a room you can have incapacitated with Improved Trip (lasts 60 seconds, cooldown 10 seconds, up to 5-6 monsters on their rears at the same time!), Sap (no save; just don't damage it and it will stay out of action for 15 seconds or so), and Stunning Blow. You just have to get your DCs up as much as possible: +stun/vertigo weapon then switch to main weapon if THF, or offhand +stun/vertigo if TWF; spare hand (which also has a chance to knock down on vorpal); max strength (rage pots, Tenser's Transformation scrolls); Kensai/enhancements.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

There is little content that a fighter with a cleric hireling can't solo 1-20, even on elite at-level which will at least prove challenging at times. You are experienced enough at the game where you don't need a build to be successful. Go forth and slay and have fun.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith