Community Member

Default Crafting, is it worth it?

FOr a newer player is it worth sinking time and money into crafting? FIgured I would get some vets opinions before I got to much into it. As of now I just did the litttle tutorial.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySunday View Post
    FOr a newer player is it worth sinking time and money into crafting? FIgured I would get some vets opinions before I got to much into it. As of now I just did the litttle tutorial.
    Well, I'm neither veteran nor veterinarian but... it does seem to be fairly useful so far.

Doesn't take much time and money to be able to make plenty of +1 elemental arrows or bolts, and crafting an Invulnerability item often seems to be the most practical way to get any useful DR at all between the Korthos bracers and double-digit level quests...?

And that's not getting into the DR-breaker weapons.

Still remains to be seen (for me) whether "regular" ("Cannith") crafting will continue to be useful at higher levels. Can't do any greensteel crafting yet, nor will in a while (saving TP for that pack) - it counts as crafting too, right?

EllisDee37's two threads on crafting (the general one, and the weapons one) are very much recommended... now where did I put the links again...?

I hate it when people phrase questions this way. Worth it compared to what? What else are you planning to do with that time/platinum other than craft?

Crafting has its greatest value for making gear for TRing. You can buy or find better gear for a first-life character on the auction house or from vendors: look for low prices on metalline of pure good, banishers, smiters, and disruptors and you have everything you need to cap. In most cases you'll be WELL past the minimum level to use the item before you can afford it, even if you pay attention and shop around. You also can't craft banishers, smiters, or disruptors.

Crafting is good for TR's because crafted items have a lower ML than found items and you can make this even lower yet by making shards of Masterful Craftsmanship. This lets you get higher bonuses earlier which in turn makes it easier to crush out levels fast without getting smacked around a lot by the tougher mobs.

So, if you find crafting interesting AND plan to TR your character OR anticipate leveling alts (you can trade bound shards across your account, just not the bound ITEMS once they're actually completed), yeah, go ahead and invest in it enough to make low-level gear at least. If you decide you want to TR a LOT, you can always make an effort to get more levels later.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

Like others have said, if you ever intend to TR at all (and odds are you will, especially with Epic TR on its way) then you want to invest in your crafting. It accelerates the low levels so much, you aren't beholden on AH availability for stat gear etc., and with Masterful Craftsmanship you're basically gearing up 2 levels above your actual level.

You're not "giving up" anything by crafting, either. You get plat for deconning items, same as you get in the shop - you just also get essences, too. All you really give up is the time it takes grinding it - and even then, just bind in House C, its the most convenient enclave anyway.

Second (third, fourth?) the point about TRs and low level alts. Just being able to craft stuff like holy of undead bane weapons and invulnerability robes makes it worthwhile. Pugging Delera is usually plain embarrasing when you roll through with 50-90% of the kills all thanks to those items.

Beware that levelling can be slow. On higher levels the income of ingredients is much better, through grindable items and chest loot. As with everything else it's worthwhile getting one alt to higher levels first.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

As always, "is it worth it?" is always rather subjective... however for newer & lowbie players especially, i think it's 100% worth it if you're a ranged weapon user as you can make elemental or holy bolts/arrows very easily, and so long as its not the same effect (eg. holy bolts & a holy repeater) then they'll stack, letting you supplement your dps rather nicely to make things a bit easier for you & as a previous poster said, invulnerability doesn't require many crafting levels & can be a huge boost in the lower levels too.

Higher up, i find it's best for twinky gear, for making very specific situational stuff & sometimes just a way to get that particular effect/item slot combination to tide you over until you get better lootgen or named gear.

Oh, the runestones can be rather nice too, they have a 1min cooldown for use but have a pretty nice DC on stun/petrify for their appropriate levels, all my twinks carry a few for situational stuff.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

IMHO, crafting is only worth it if (A) you have a lot of alts you want to be able to twink, (B) you want to be able to equip other chars w/unbound shards (i.e., friends, guildies, etc.), or (C) you plan to do a lot of TRing. Basically, crafting only makes sense if you plan to mass-produce shards someday. Otherwise, you're better off simply selling off your trash loot and buying what you need off the AH or in trade w/other players. It's usually not hard to find a friendly crafter willing to help you out in exchange for plat and/or essences. And as mentioned upthread, a lot of the best effects can't be crafted, so you need to look for them on named or lootgen items anyway.

Definitely, though I wouldn't spend too much money on it. What I find helpful about crafting is:
    1) For your first life, when you get your crafting to higher levels (high 30s to low 40s) you will be able to make yourself special weapons that will bypass the damage reduction of certain tough monsters. If you get to even higher levels, you'll be able to make these even better.
    2) If/when you TR, you'll be able to make yourself some nice gear to use while leveling up. If you get to high enough level, some of the gear you can make is really sweet while leveling up!

So you're aware, I would say as you are leveling up your first character and your crafting, the items you can craft will generally not be any better than items you can easily acquire in questing, on the auction house or at the brokers. You will be able to get a few useful items (ex. invulnerability on an item) but in general it does take a little time for crafting to pay off.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Getting arcane and divine to mid/high 30s (say 35/39/0) is well worth it. Going beyond that is your call; you'll have enough crafting experience by then to make an informed decision for yourself.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Basically, crafting only makes sense if you plan to mass-produce shards someday. Otherwise, you're better off simply selling off your trash loot and buying what you need off the AH or in trade w/other players.
    I only very rarely get that lucky with the AH and trading/brokers... crafting is more reliable.

Typically, after a couple of weeks of occasional casual play and bidding for +7 skill items and then losing while logged out (or the prices just rising above my plat budget, or occasionally even the f2p plat cap for level), I just make a +5 one and make do with skill boost when needed.

Seems like from +11 skill items on up, and the equivalent in weapons and armor, the AH does get better in comparison, but I only have a couple of toons that high even now...

I find it very useful. As others have said, you can craft great TR gear. Plus there is situationally useful gear you can make that's even good in epic levels (especially once you get into flexible shards). With The Fall of Truth raid, 33% electrical absorption shards have new utility (there's a special electrical attack they help against). Good luck +2 is useful to craft if you don't have the augment crystals, and +6 stats well before you can use augments.

It's kind of hit or miss what you'll use over the lives of your toons (I don't mean TR lives, I mean the entire life of playing them). Certainly the more you play the more useful crafting can be.

Edit: You should expect to not use it (or barely use it) on your crafting character's first life. You simply will not get essences fast enough to keep up with your needs. By the time you're ready to TR you should be able to make some very nice twink gear for the low levels and bootstrap from there.
    Last edited by eachna_gislin; 07-12-2013 at 09:05 PM.

I find that I primarily use crafting because there's always SOME bonus I could REALLY USE on this life for X character that I just completely spaced and forgot about and it's a lot easier to find bank space for one ingredients bag than for TEN MILLION BILLION ITEMS. That, and I have less seller's regret about letting good items I have no immediate use for go so my bank space isn't constantly full of **** that I can't even remember why I'm saving any more. I never do the same build twice on TRing so even if I make a serious effort to obtain The Good Gear I'm still sitting there at level 15 going "WHERE do I fit a freakin' Greater False Life item in this mess?!??! WOMAN, WHERE'S MY SUPER SUIT!?"
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Yes.

Problem is that you need to sing A LOT of essences into crafting to get your levels to the point they will be useful. Depending on how much you concentrate on it, it might take a character life to get to the point where you're useful.

Crafting it GREAT with doing a TR. You can fill in all of the gaps in your gear plan as you level.

My suggestion is use your first life to acquire plat and essences - just use them, craft along the way, maybe work your way up to 300K plat or more, and then start to decon all of the lootgen you get. In epic levels, you will start to build up your cache of essences quickly.

I just re-geared my pally for levels 18 - 20 recently. I had three items to craft. I was able to craft in two augment slots so that I could use a Devotion gem, and some other gem I wanted to use (maybe a DEX +5 gem?). It worked out better than I expected.