Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

Default The Official Morninglord Iconic Discussion Thread!

Please use this thread to discuss the Morninglord Iconic.

The Morninglord Iconic's Enhancements are also being discussed here.
    Last edited by SqueakofDoom; 07-22-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Default The good, the bad, and the very ugly

Let me just skip the baloney and get down to it:

The morning lord iconic racial enhancements make NO sense.

1. Racial bonus to int (clerics and cleric multiclasses don't need int)
    2. Int enhancement (the ONLY choice, for a non-int based class)
    3. Dex to damage with blunts (so we are focusing on INT, and Dex comes out of left field, bizarre!)
    4. Racial bonus to ranged sneak attack (copied from elf race, with no bonuses to bows, bizarre!)

What is the thought process behind this silliness? If you want to make this Iconic special, give a bonus to WISDOM, with WISDOM to damage with blunts. Can keep ranged sneak attack as then there will be synergy with Zen archery. As it stands this is currently the stupidest race/class combo there is.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 42/42, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

I understand that Elves take a CON penalty, but why is the bonus to INT instead of WIS?

So far I haven't found much that makes the Morninglord a class / race I must play. Seems sort of lacking at first glance. If this Iconic is supposed to Melee, can they get an auto granted THF or Cleave line?
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Community Member

Default Sun Elves, please read the lore.

In response to the above two replies, Morninglords are Sun Elves. Sun Elves get racial bonuses to intelligence not wisdom or dexterity. Although I am confused about the morningstars, Sun Elves are proficient with swords and bows as well. And also Morninglords are intended clerics, not melee.

How is the Morninglord any different from a Human cleric then? A regular Cleric seems better all around
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Default Postive Energy Aura/Positive Energy Burst - No Regen?

On the live servers, I have a Level 21 cleric with Postive Energy Aura/Positive Energy Burst; there the uses regenerate over time.

With the Morninglord I created on Lamannia, it seems like the same enhancements don't regenerate over time...unless it takes a lot longer? Or maybe with the Morninglords the uses don't regen?

There've been numerous times in dungeons where I could keep a party alive even if just using the Aura/Burst... I really hope you don't have to rest to get back your uses of them...
    Cannith:
    Isaela-Fighter 16 (TR)||Aeylya-Cleric 21||Draeya-Rogue 5||Sollest-Ranger 9||Fiarra-Artificer 9||Rinwenn-Ranger 7||Moliya-Druid 3||Onaya-Druid 7||Anniela-Favored Soul 7||Caelene-Bard 7||Kitartia-BladeForged 15

Community Member

Thumbs down Sorry But....

I think I got to echo the above opinions. Sun Elves are much better wizard types with the int bonus. Never cared for Dark sun to be honest. so the class should be a wizardly one or change the race to a more cleric oriented one. This combo just makes no sense to me. I will go play the assassin now and see how that is. Respects to the thought for this combo, but its not workin.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejadex View Post
    On the live servers, I have a Level 21 cleric with Postive Energy Aura/Positive Energy Burst; there the uses regenerate over time.

With the Morninglord I created on Lamannia, it seems like the same enhancements don't regenerate over time...unless it takes a lot longer? Or maybe with the Morninglords the uses don't regen?

There've been numerous times in dungeons where I could keep a party alive even if just using the Aura/Burst... I really hope you don't have to rest to get back your uses of them...
    The regen is in the radiant servant enhancements. you have to actually take it instead of it being auto granted with burst

MrMime

Sorry But....
    I think I got to echo the above opinions. Sun Elves are much better wizard types with the int bonus. Never cared for Dark sun to be honest. so the class should be a wizardly one or change the race to a more cleric oriented one. This combo just makes no sense to me. I will go play the assassin now and see how that is. Respects to the thought for this combo, but its not workin.
    I agree. I also checked the Forgotten realms wiki on both Morninglords and Sun Elves. Neither that I could find say that Sun Elves are common morninglords. Also under the Sun Elves it does not even list Amantuer (i know i had to spell that wrong) as one of their dieties.

Though I could be wrong and they could be using a different source. But the +2 INT, -2 CON is in keeping with the Sun Elf race.
    Always haggle venders - Anicheap Copperpincher
    Anigiant the Halfling
    Most dangerous enemy tactic ... Lag Death
    Beyond Good and Evil - Sarlona

I was hoping for Fawngate's final life to be Morning Lord, but I am concerned...

Are we locked out of Silver Flame if we use a lesser +1 heart to zone out the cleric level for favored soul,
    and if so, do we get to keep the Sun Burst SLA?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    I was hoping for Fawngate's final life to be Morning Lord, but I am concerned...

Are we locked out of Silver Flame if we use a lesser +1 heart to zone out the cleric level for favored soul,
    and if so, do we get to keep the Sun Burst SLA?
    As far as I know Iconics will always have the first required level. So they may put in something that prevents LRing it out.

And I think the SLA would still be takable as (if i remember) it is in the racial tree.
    Always haggle venders - Anicheap Copperpincher
    Anigiant the Halfling
    Most dangerous enemy tactic ... Lag Death
    Beyond Good and Evil - Sarlona

Amantuer Favored Soul Capstone ~ SLA Sunbolt would be nice??

Not true, saw a Dev post, you will be able to remove that required first level with a lesser heart.

Community Member

Being forced into playing an elf which by race and lore is considerably weaker than pretty much anything else out there would require me to either a. have MUCH better sla/enh/pres, or the ability to pick a race which isnt THIS race.

Community Member

There is only a explanation!!!
    Cleric2/Wiz18, Evoker Negative + Pale Master = True Necromancer
    Ok, he like sun, but her traits cries by negativa

Quote Originally Posted by redscizor View Post
    There is only a explanation!!!
    Cleric2/Wiz18, Evoker Negative + Pale Master = True Necromancer
    Ok, he like sun, but her traits cries by negativa
    I'm thinking similar. The only synergy I can come up with is a clr splash into a wizard if for some reason you don't want WF but still want some self healing. 19wiz/1clr archmage or something along those lines. I'll have to play it a bit to see what I can make of it.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

While the Int bonus may seem pointless for a divine character, it's still better than the Dex bonus that normal elves get since it does serve a purpose for any casting class. Specifically, an Int bonus gives you both a +1 Spellcraft and an extra skill point per level (much needed now that Heal and Spellcraft are skills that are now directly linked to divine DPS).

Overall, I'd say the Morninglord looks fine. The Con penalty hurts as it always does with Elves (this game should seriously consider getting rid of racial ability penalties entirely), but the fact that the enhancements actually include spellpower buffs for divines makes these some of the only racial enhancements I'd ever consider taking on a divine. It also synergizes nicely with the Divine Disciple tree - you can get a wider variety of light spells and SLAs than anything else in the game currently. If nothing else, it lets anybody whip up a relatively high level healbot/light nuker without too much difficulty - anything that makes it easier for people to have a healer they can hop onto is a good thing.

Side note on appearances: I do find it kind of funny that while the other Iconics feature new racial appearance options, Sun Elves actually have far fewer appearance options than normal elves. The Iconic armor appearance kit that comes with them is great (seriously, the Iconic cosmetic armors in general are some of the best artwork I've seen in this game's armor in a long, long time), but the race itself needs a bit more "oomph." Can't we get some glowing eye action on these guys? Heck, set their hair on fire, just give them something to make them feel special.
    Last edited by dejafu; 07-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Even with the int bonus which skills do you just skip in a heal/spellcraft environment? Skip heal/spellcraft?

Overall I find the class ok compared to say and Elf cleric, though a few thing I find week about it; The mace/hammer/maul chain is useless atm as you don't have maul proficientcy, and the Grace (I think that's what it's called) should be changed from a dex mod to damage, to a wisdom mod to damage.
    Slow player: puggers beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Mystic View Post
    I agree. I also checked the Forgotten realms wiki on both Morninglords and Sun Elves. Neither that I could find say that Sun Elves are common morninglords. Also under the Sun Elves it does not even list Amantuer (i know i had to spell that wrong) as one of their dieties.

Though I could be wrong and they could be using a different source. But the +2 INT, -2 CON is in keeping with the Sun Elf race.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Morninglord

Lathander Morninglord was a God of the Realms who now seems to have been melded into Amaunator!

Sun{rise} or Gold Elves are the Realms version of D&D's Grey Elves
    Moon or Silver Elves are the Realms version of D&D's High Elves

Grey Elves in D&D get Bonuses to Int & Dex and penalties to Con & Str.

High Elves are the BASE Elves with the standard Dex Bonus and Con penalty.

So yet again we're NOT getting a +Wis Race {Every other Stat has it's corresponding Race - Why NOT Wis? - Admittedly Drow ONLY get the +2 Base Charisma and NO way to Upgrade it BUT it's still a Racial Bonus!}.

To the Person who mentioned Dark Sun - Sun Elves are a Realms Offshoot of the Elven Race and have NOTHING whatsoever to do with Athas!

BTW - I've always wanted to see Grey Elves in DDO {ALL My PnP Elves were Grey!}.
    Elven Wizards would benefit enormously from this option being available! - I'd take a -2 Pen to Str {-1 not being available in DDO} for a +2 Int!
    WERE IT NOT FOR...
    The Forced Cleric Level!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 07-13-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Are we locked out of Silver Flame if we use a lesser +1 heart to zone out the cleric level for favored soul, and if so, do we get to keep the Sun Burst SLA?
    Characters born in Forgotten Realms cannot worship Eberron gods. That is the expectation at this time.

This is true for all characters. Shadar-kai who multiclass into Paladin, Cleric, or Favored Soul cannot worship the Undying Court, etc.

The racial enhancement tree associated with the Morninglord iconic doesn't change based on class levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Characters born in Forgotten Realms cannot worship Eberron gods. That is the expectation at this time.

This is true for all characters. Shadar-kai who multiclass into Paladin, Cleric, or Favored Soul cannot worship the Undying Court, etc.

The racial enhancement tree associated with the Morninglord iconic doesn't change based on class levels.
    So we're going to see a whole lot of Morninglord Wizards then?

15 Wiz/5 Cleric going to be a Good Choice in the Enhancement pass eh?
    OR
    14 Wiz/6 Cleric {Radiant}?

Has anyone actually checked for Int Enhancements in the Morninglord tree btw?
    OR
    Is it +2 Base Int BUT Dex Enhancements {or even Wis Enhancements}?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast