Default Getting through Monk for a completionist TR

Ok, I'm trying to get through the Monk potion of my completionist and am looking for suggestions on how to get through a painlessly as possible...
    What I'm dealing with:
    -I HATE playing monks. I know they're a great class in the right hands, but those hands are NOT mine.
    -I'm just looking for a build that can level up as quickly as possible. As soon as he's getting to 20, he;s TRing again, so I don't care how he fares in Epic quests.
    -My racial preference is dwarf, just for character continuity sake.
    -I have a huge range of dwarven waraxes which ideally I'd like to use rather than getting a whole new set of gear.
    -I only need 10 levels of Monk, was thinking some kind of 12 Monk/6 Fighter splash might be good?

Any suggestions much appreciated...

Community Member

If you don't mind playing druid getting 7 levels of druid to have reaving roar makes heroic levels much faster. Don't have to be in animal form for it to work and don't need to be centered so you can use those dwarven axes if you want. Only thing you really need to worry about gear wise is not wearing metal armor or shields cause of the druid oath.
    Last edited by Xorlandu; 07-11-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
    -I only need 10 levels of Monk, was thinking some kind of 12 Monk/6 Fighter splash might be good?
    I play monks and love them, but for any class I don't like, I go with a three way multi class. Monk is low on the priority list so you may need to go 8 monk/6 XXX/ 6 XXX... Say 8 Monk, 6 Fighter, 6 Rogue. The priority order for past lives can be found here:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

The only things below monk on the priority list are FVS, Druid and Arty So you can do 7 (Choose one--Druid | FavoredSoul | Artificer )/ 7 Monk / 6 anything else. I don't like ranged play, but if you do then 7 Arty/7Monk/6 Ranger should work well. IF you like fighters then 8 Monk 6 Fighter 6 Rogue works really well. I've leveled a number of 7/7/6 monk multi-class builds and they all leveled just fine.
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xorlandu View Post
    If you don't mind playing druid getting 7 levels of druid to have reaving roar makes heroic levels much faster. Don't have to be in animal form for it to work and don't need to be centered so you can use those dwarven axes if you want. Only thing you really need to worry about gear wise is not wearing metal armor or shields cause of the druid oath.
    I really like the following along the same lines:

Race: Up to you...dwarf would be fine for this, human works well, helf as well, I've even done it as a forged. Nice thing with doing this as a Half Elf is that you can actually manage to fit in all of the feats necessary to make a worthwhile Arcane Archer. I did that on this platform and the results were acceptable...makes for a nice conversion to something EE-friendly if you decide to mess around at cap on the build.
    Stats: 17 str + levels, 8-13 dex (you'll want to get to 13 dodge w/ tome by 17 for Ninja Spy I), 14-16 con (depending on 32-36pt builds), 8 int, 16 wis, 8 cha. Alternatively you can choose to go wisdom based for better stunning fist/druid wolf trip...in that case strength would be 16 starting and wisdom would be 17 + levels.
    Level/Feat order:
    1 Monk PA, Cleave (Human could take Dragonmark or some other feat...whatever you'd like really)
    2 Druid
    3 Druid Toughness, Wild Form: Wolf
    4 Druid
    5 Druid
    6 Fighter Maximize, Great Cleave
    7 Druid Wild Form: Bear
    8 Druid
    9 Druid Quicken
    10 Druid Wild Form: Winter Wolf
    11 Druid
    12 Monk Natural Fighting, Stunning Fist
    13 Fighter Improved Critical: Bludgeoning
    14 Monk Path of Inevitable Something (Dark Monk)
    15 Monk Natural Fighting
    16 Monk
    17 Monk Dodge
    18 Monk Natural Fighting
    19 Monk
    20 Monk

The 3 x natural fighting feats brings this into the ballpark in attack speed versus TWF but with a much better (17-20x3) crit profile. The healing amp potential is outstanding, especially if you choose to use fire stance + jidz'tetka. Quickened Sleet Storms + self-cast FoM is wonderful on a cleave-based melee...zerg a big group of enemies, make sure to have blur/displacement, at higher levels Shadow Fade, drop a Sleet Storm, and start cleaving. Casting is decent at adding some extra damage as well with wall of fire or ice storm (I prefer ice storm due to the synergy with Frozen Tunic). Played this build through to cap twice as a monk (once helf, once forged), once a similar fighter build (9 fighter/2 monk instead of this) and currently doing 7/7/6 as a ranger life (lose the winter wolf but trade it in for non-form fighting while retaining reaving roar). The monk version was by far my favorite and performs very well at cap either as melee (with Overwhelming Critical and Empower Healing taken in epic levels) or as an AA after LR'ing to swap all the feats to appropriate AA stuff.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Community Member

One warning on this though...Reaving Roar is seeing a large nerf in the enhancement pass. I wouldn't recommend it as highly build-wise after that point. It will still work well and reaving roar will still do some damage...it just won't be the powerhouse it is right now.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Semi thread necro here...

So, with the new expansion, I can theoretically level whatever I want up to 20, use the free +20 LR stone to then turn him into a monk and then TR and essentially skip the Monk life. Anyone see anything wrong with that?

So, with the new expansion, I can theoretically level whatever I want up to 20, use the free +20 LR stone to then turn him into a monk and then TR and essentially skip the Monk life. Anyone see anything wrong with that?
    Nope, as long as your alignment is ok for monk. I'm doing the reverse on several toons, ie pure monk leveling, then LR+20 to say FVS before TR.

Community Member

Just 2 things - one logistics and one other.

The logistic issue - this will only work if you have monk as one of your three classes on your character or have less than 3 classes. Also, you would have to have a Lawful alignment to splash monk in later.

The other issue...monk is really easy to splash and make work well. If you'd rather do a fighter life with dwarven axes though you could make it work out with the new enhancements and still get something out of the monk class. Front-load 8 levels of fighter and mix that with at least 9 levels of monk (can go the full 12 if you'd like) and up to 3 levels of something else if desired. 3 levels of ranger would work fairly well for example. You would be able to fight with dwarven axes as centered weapon as soon as you get fighter 8 and take the enhancements for it. There wouldn't be a big rush of course as you don't really need to be centered until you start getting worthwhile moves but once you have 3 monk going light would allow you to use the Healing Curse which offers some nice healing as you're fighting (as well as allowing you to use all the light-based buffs from finishing moves). Again, this is far from ideal (ideal is 8 fighter/6 monk/6 ranger but that doesn't get you the desired past life) but the 8/9/3 or just an 8/12 should work well enough for just getting the past life.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    Just 2 things - one logistics and one other.

The logistic issue - this will only work if you have monk as one of your three classes on your character or have less than 3 classes. Also, you would have to have a Lawful alignment to splash monk in later.

The other issue...monk is really easy to splash and make work well. If you'd rather do a fighter life with dwarven axes though you could make it work out with the new enhancements and still get something out of the monk class. Front-load 8 levels of fighter and mix that with at least 9 levels of monk (can go the full 12 if you'd like) and up to 3 levels of something else if desired. 3 levels of ranger would work fairly well for example. You would be able to fight with dwarven axes as centered weapon as soon as you get fighter 8 and take the enhancements for it. There wouldn't be a big rush of course as you don't really need to be centered until you start getting worthwhile moves but once you have 3 monk going light would allow you to use the Healing Curse which offers some nice healing as you're fighting (as well as allowing you to use all the light-based buffs from finishing moves). Again, this is far from ideal (ideal is 8 fighter/6 monk/6 ranger but that doesn't get you the desired past life) but the 8/9/3 or just an 8/12 should work well enough for just getting the past life.
    I do not understand this thread. Monk is by far the easiest of the melee classes to level. Go fists of light or farm the vampric stonedusts and go dark. Either way its really tough to gimp a monk, unless you ignore strength.

Yeah wasting your heart to get past a easy class to lvl I would save it for a harder class like bard or barb

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    I do not understand this thread. Monk is by far the easiest of the melee classes to level. Go fists of light or farm the vampric stonedusts and go dark. Either way its really tough to gimp a monk, unless you ignore strength.
    I agree with you but some people just don't like the play style on monks. Fighter hybrids would work now though too.

As I stated in the 1st post, I don't like playing Monks. No comment on whether they are easy to level or not - it's simply a playstyle preference for me.

If you have not yet done the monk TR you may still have an option.

Recently with the Expansion players received an LR+20 stone.

If you still have this stone, pick the class you want to play. Level to 20. Use the LR+20 to exchange for the class you don't like. TR into something you would enjoy playing.

This will get you the life of the class you are not fond of playing and allow you to play a class you enjoy.

Of course this is a one time option as I don't believe LR+20's have made it to the store "yet"

Ok, I'm trying to get through the Monk potion of my completionist and am looking for suggestions on how to get through a painlessly as possible...
    What I'm dealing with:
    -I HATE playing monks. I know they're a great class in the right hands, but those hands are NOT mine.
    -I'm just looking for a build that can level up as quickly as possible. As soon as he's getting to 20, he;s TRing again, so I don't care how he fares in Epic quests.
    -My racial preference is dwarf, just for character continuity sake.
    -I have a huge range of dwarven waraxes which ideally I'd like to use rather than getting a whole new set of gear.

Any suggestions much appreciated...
    You know...

Kensai fighter lets you be centered with a weapon in your specialization group.

You'll need at least level 8 in fighter (to get the Greater Specialization or Focus feat, I can't remember which)...

Then you should be able to use most of your (non-stunning fist) monk abilities from the other levels, have evasion, get WIS and DEX mods to AC, and if you're really a silly person and max out DEX plus take the first 2 or 3 core enhancements of ninja spy, use your DEX for to-hit and Damage with Dwarven Axes...

Would be a silly build, but would let you run Dwarf, use Dwarven War Axes after level 8 or so (10 if you did 2 monk for evasion, 8 fighter for the Kensai stuff, and 10 more monk for the rest).

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    If you have not yet done the monk TR you may still have an option.

Recently with the Expansion players received an LR+20 stone.

If you still have this stone, pick the class you want to play. Level to 20. Use the LR+20 to exchange for the class you don't like. TR into something you would enjoy playing.

This will get you the life of the class you are not fond of playing and allow you to play a class you enjoy.

Of course this is a one time option as I don't believe LR+20's have made it to the store "yet"
    Just ensure your first class is a LAWFUL one, otherwise, you can't LR without respeccing your alignment. (i.e., all monks are lawful, can't do this as a bard or barbarian...)

(Double posting in case only post replies get sent)

Just make sure it's a Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good character...

And a 2 Monk/ 8 Fighter/ 10 Monk build using the two monk levels for Feats and Evasion up front, 8 levels (mostly, likely, uncentered) to make a Dwarven Axe Kensai, and the rest of the levels to be an evading 2WF'ing high DEX/high WIS/high CON monk (which can use your DEX for your to-hit/damage) might be somewhat more along the lines of a simpler melee dwarf without much in the way of monk-specific stuff like finishing moves, etc.

I do not understand this thread. Monk is by far the easiest of the melee classes to level. Go fists of light or farm the vampric stonedusts and go dark. Either way its really tough to gimp a monk, unless you ignore wisdom.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Todkaninchen View Post
    You know...

Kensai fighter lets you be centered with a weapon in your specialization group.

You'll need at least level 8 in fighter (to get the Greater Specialization or Focus feat, I can't remember which)...

Then you should be able to use most of your (non-stunning fist) monk abilities from the other levels, have evasion, get WIS and DEX mods to AC, and if you're really a silly person and max out DEX plus take the first 2 or 3 core enhancements of ninja spy, use your DEX for to-hit and Damage with Dwarven Axes...

Would be a silly build, but would let you run Dwarf, use Dwarven War Axes after level 8 or so (10 if you did 2 monk for evasion, 8 fighter for the Kensai stuff, and 10 more monk for the rest).
    Problem for us in this thread is that OP doesn't really say what it is that they do like to play.

A typical solution to the "I don't like this" problem is to pick a class you do like, run 14 levels of that class, run 4 levels of what you don't want, hold level at L18, reach XP for L20 and grab 2 more levels in what you don't want. Then use a +5 LR to swap to 9/11 and immediately TR.

The only issues are alignment ones. More exotic versions of this are possible by looking at a 3 class split. You could go 9/9 with classes you want to play, never taking the unwanted class at all. Then when you jump to L20 go 9/9/2. Now use the +5 LR to get to 6/7/7. Just make sure the unwanted class at L7 has a higher priority than whatever the other L7 class is.

Reincarnation priorities are 1) original classes in alphabetic order then 2) other classes in the order they were added. So for monk this would mean 6 something/7 artificer/7 monk and you'd get the monk past life with never having been a monk at all.

If I were to do that I'd probably look at something like fighter/artificer/(monk).

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Problem for us in this thread is that OP doesn't really say what it is that they do like to play.

A typical solution to the "I don't like this" problem is to pick a class you do like, run 14 levels of that class, run 4 levels of what you don't want, hold level at L18, reach XP for L20 and grab 2 more levels in what you don't want. Then use a +5 LR to swap to 9/11 and immediately TR.
    Good point.

I assumed he didn't like the playstyle/complications of monk but did like melee (e.g. big collections of Dwarven war axes).

So I figured a DEX 17 (for the 2WF chain), 16 WIS, dump CHA and INT, and spread the rest of the points between CON and STR would let him do--essentially--a ranger-like 2WF build all the way up using the monk passive stuff and non-combat things (like wholeness of body) after he got his Kensai stuff in.

Until then, run--like Fighter 1 - Monk 2 - Fighter 7 - Monk last 10. Would give him evasion at level 3, he could run ("uncentered" as a light-armor fighter until 10, then start applying the WIS and DEX to AC and running cloth outfits to 20.

He could run (by resetting enhancements) STR or DEX on his Dwarven war axes after level 8 or so and use whichever stance Wind or Fire gets him the most Damage. (higher DEX and attack speed buffs plus doublestrike vs. higher STR and +25% healing amp if he's using the Jidz Tet'ka bracers.)

So, play style, would mainly be an evasion-fighting melee that can (after level 15) self-heal every 2 minutes an has a major buff to attack speed.