Default Video game starship worth $9,000 destroyed in ambush

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

DDO is beyond opposite of EVE.

Always wear your big boy pants and never undock what you cannot afford to lose.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

The Hatchery

He brought a ridiculously rare ship into a hostile area that spies had already reported was full of enemies.

The ship itself is only rare, and not actually very good at combat.

He deserved it.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Video game starship worth $9,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    Always wear your big boy pants
    Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    He deserved it.
    This is why I don't play EVE. But apparently everyone with such attitudes really enjoys it so I'm glad its there for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    He brought a ridiculously rare ship into a hostile area that spies had already reported was full of enemies.

The ship itself is only rare, and not actually very good at combat.

He deserved it.
    Actually a spy within his our corp/guild tricked him into warping into an ambush, and Reverent is a great combat ship, though horrendously overpriced for its capabilities is still is better pound-for-pound than its peers (other the 4 other SuperCarriers).

I wonder if Geico or E-surance would be able to help him file a claim?

No wait, I can see it now.
    *Progressive insurance. We insure things that don't even exist!*
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

That spy is now known. Can players change their screen names, or is he now worthless as a spy?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

The only thing missing is the FRAPS reel of it all happening with someone yelling ITS A TRAAAP!!! in their best Akbar voice when it all started to go down.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I apologize in advance if this sounds insensitive.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLMAOROTFLMAOLOLOLOL!!!

Seriously? People spend that kind of real life cash on something virtual? Well, I guess if I was a bazillionaire I might, but....

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    An expansion . .. with a set of packs for each plane to come out every month or two . . . it'll be like crack to Whitney Houston.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post

Seriously? People spend that kind of real life cash on something virtual? Well, I guess if I was a bazillionaire I might, but....
    I don't believe someone paid the money to get the ship. I think they are saying the ship was worth $9,000 in in-game currency.
    Ascent

Lucavvi|Blooddrunk|Marikoth

Isn't this story a couple of years old at least?

I remember reading about it on Cracked.com ages back.
    If your "Known Issues" list needs a freaking scroll bar, then one of you needs to go.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post

No.

To put it in simple terms, in EVE, in-game currency can be converted to game time, giving it a real-world value.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The only thing missing is the FRAPS reel of it all happening with someone yelling ITS A TRAAAP!!! in their best Akbar voice when it all started to go down.
    lol that would of been epic!!

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Storm reach times........ while leaving a tavern one evening a horc fighter was jumped by serveral drow and halfling males. His esos, cormy red dragon scale and many other valuable items where taken, authorities say that the horc is lucky to escape with his life and urge people to be more careful, don't go out alone at nights especially in the rougher parts of storm reach.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 07-12-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Astounding... Truly sad for the person who got ambushed. One story I read said he'd been saving for years to buy the ship.
    There is no free lunch.

Community Member

hehe, i just knew this was gonna be about eve-online

part of eve's success is due to the risk you take each time you undock. knowing you might lose everything you just undocked with adds excitement to the game and to combat.

even in the "safe zones" you aren't completely safe. if a player really wants to shoot at you they can. most of the time you can expect them to explode before they have broken your shield as the cops beat the snot out of them, but they can actually fire at you!

i got into a little role playing because of that mechanic. there was a self proclaimed terrorist in the safe system i was in who was going about destroying miners work. there was no self gain in it, just wanton destruction in the name of terrorism. so i loaded up one of my ships to kill as fast as possible and threw myself at the terrorist who was in a very small and flimsy ship. i managed to take them out before the cops got me. we had a good laugh about it after as you do with all good RP conflicts.

then there is the vast tracts of lawless space where players go to stake out a claim and defend it. that is where the story in the OP is based. i spent a bit of time out there too and got in some great fights when the capital ships were new. had one good scrap with a hostile alliance that lives next door, 2 capital ships a side and a horde of smaller ships (i hear battles these days can be hundreds a side). my battleship got blown up after taking a few hostiles out so i, like many others on my side, flew back to base and grabbed another ship. only viable one i had left was quite a rare ship, one i really didnt want to lose, but there was a capital ship still out there and they needed all the help they could get to take it down. we won that battle because our side was flying back with reinforcements each time we lost a ship, their side was going home and sulking.

it's a fun game, it's very niche, and it's still growing year after year. it's the model of how a niche game should be run.

completely different to DDO and i greatly prefer DDO's active combat, but after a few years in eve it's clear to see why it's the success it is today.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!