Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Default Why no Anti Magic Shell or other form of Anti-Magic in DDO?

Why doesn't DDO have some form of anti-magic?

Please forgive my lack of DnD knowledge, I last played DnD about the time the internet was evolving from cups and strings.

But one of my fondest memories is I retired a paladin who had risen to become a hero of his world, defeating mighty foes.

Toward the end he was graced with a wonderful weapon, if I recall right, it was an Adamantine Holy Sword with Anti Magic Shell. And wasn't there a spell of the same type?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    Why doesn't DDO have some form of anti-magic?

Please forgive my lack of DnD knowledge, I last played DnD about the time the internet was evolving from cups and strings.

But one of my fondest memories is I retired a paladin who had risen to become a hero of his world, defeating mighty foes.

Toward the end he was graced with a wonderful weapon, if I recall right, it was an Adamantine Holy Sword with Anti Magic Shell. And wasn't there a spell of the same type?
    I would imagine that the developers had to choose how many/which systems they were going to include in DDO. The more systems you include the more complex it is and the harder it would be to code. If they included anti-magic they would have to also include Extraordinary Abilities, Psionics or some other system to defeat anti-magic in the case of bosses, etc. So that would be 2 (or more) additional effect systems added to the code.

That is, in my opinion, why it wasn't included and probably won't be.

does antimagic in d&d function like the beholder antimagic ray, except in a sphere radius, dispelling magical boosts and preventing spells from being cast?

or does antimagic suppress effects up until the time that you move out of the radius?

if antimagic exists for beholders, should it not be able to adapt that into a spell for arcane casters?

also a silence spell for bards and clerics would be nice - even if it only targeted a single enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I would imagine that the developers had to choose how many/which systems they were going to include in DDO. The more systems you include the more complex it is and the harder it would be to code. If they included anti-magic they would have to also include Extraordinary Abilities, Psionics or some other system to defeat anti-magic in the case of bosses, etc. So that would be 2 (or more) additional effect systems added to the code.

That is, in my opinion, why it wasn't included and probably won't be.

Community Member

There are many systems in DDO to block magic.

There are trinkets, and cloaks that have magic absorption. They will 'eat' x spells before allowing anything to hit you.

There is also globes of invulnerability that do work, but on a smaller subset of magic.

However, there isn't just a 100%, ha ha, magic doesn't work... Available to players.

Founder

Antimagic is a specific effect that suppresses magic. I believe only Beholders have it in DDO but their Antimagic Cone actually doesn't work as Antimagic is supposed to work in D&D. "Antimagic does not dispel magic" - from the D&D wiki. I suppose it was too complicated to make it work correctly.

The way Antimagic is supposed to work is to suppress any ongoing effects and prevent new magic in the area of effect. If the Antimagic area is removed, ongoing magical effects will return. This is a complex interaction.

On the other hand if players had the ability to dismiss magic effects as a Beholder does, that would be a very powerful ability.

I'm not sure having this spell in the game would be a good idea without an active DM there to prevent it from getting too cheesy.

Evasion and high savings throws are the best anti-magic you are going to get.

Community Member

http://ddowiki.com/page/Mordenkainen%27s_Disjunction

That's about as close as we get, and mainly because magic in D&D and DDO is different than other games. True antimagic fields are achievable in D&D, but they are rare and usually up to the DM for how much of a headache they are. In DDO, antimagic would be a pain to program/encounter. Imagine you lose all your buffs and gear for health and constitution. for epics(where gear is easily +10 con), you'd lose 100+ health.

Community Member

There are some magic-negation capabilities in the Magister ED as well, though they are limited. Which they need to be -- the difference between DDO and D&D is that the latter has a human DM who can adjust difficulty to compensate for abilities like magic negation, whereas in a computer game that's not possible.

Community Member

double post
    Last edited by droid327; 07-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Community Member

The EP is going to bring some skills that let you Silence opponents too and prevent spellcasting (Occult Slayer, if nowhere else).

Also, there are spells like Feeblemind that, if successful, will prevent monsters from being able to cast spells (or at least cast them with any efficacy).

But yeah a blanket, Beholder-like antimagic ability would be way too powerful, especially against bosses....or if not, it'd be basically worthless if they made bosses (where you really need it) immune or something. But even against Epic trash mobs, blanket antimagic basically just turns any mission into "traps and meatbags" where you just have to avoid the traps and tank-and-spank the melee/ranger mobs.

If anti-magic existed in DDO (beyond beholders) blue bar soloists would throw hissy fits. Could you imagine any arcane soloist squaring off vs the pally in the op? Maybe it would just be a rare boss property, or maby every bladeforged pally in the house C quests & wilderness gets one as standard issue.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I last played DnD about the time the internet was evolving from cups and strings.
    Back when it was called ARPANET, what we now call the Internet was already modulating data at 50+ kbit/sec over leased lines, in the late 60s.

Dungeons and Dragons, the very first original version, didn't show up until the mid-70s.

You last played D&D in what time frame?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I'm not sure having this spell in the game would be a good idea without an active DM there to prevent it from getting too cheesy.
    Aye, they might do what I did to my players after they were bragging about how easy a supposedly difficult encounter I designed went. Take a lich, who can only be hit by magic weapons, cast an anti-magic shell on themselves, and then proceed to beat up on the players.

In DDO terms, a creature with DR of /magic casting anti-magic would be the same. Pure evil.....

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Back when it was called ARPANET, what we now call the Internet was already modulating data at 50+ kbit/sec over leased lines, in the late 60s.

Dungeons and Dragons, the very first original version, didn't show up until the mid-70s.

You last played D&D in what time frame?
    I was using poetic license, not criticizing the net, simply using a metaphor (?) to illustrate how long ago it seems like to me. Although if I recall correctly, when I was playing DnD it was still Arpanet. I wanna say 76? 77? I was playing when Greyhawk came out, for all I know I might have a copy in a box somewhere...its a bit of a blur, that was six or eight lives ago.

They say memory is the first thing to go, and I forget what the second is, but I always check the PSU.
    Last edited by My2Cents; 07-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    The EP is going to bring some skills that let you Silence opponents too and prevent spellcasting (Occult Slayer, if nowhere else).
    Cool. "Silence 15' radius" was *the* spell to deal with casters in old school P&P. You took it and sometimes hated it because you'd never use it, but boy, if you needed it and didn't have it...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    There are some magic-negation capabilities in the Magister ED as well, though they are limited. Which they need to be -- the difference between DDO and D&D is that the latter has a human DM who can adjust difficulty to compensate for abilities like magic negation, whereas in a computer game that's not possible.
    This here. My magister guy is only level 4, so i haven't had a chance to play around with them really. How well do they work?

Someone in another thread suggested some 9th level spell that exists in dnd that basically functions as an absorption item. That would be pretty cool.

I haven't really played around much with the beholder plate armor either, but it seems like it has some potential.

In original D&D anti-magic shell and beholder anti-magic cone acted identically -- same effect except with different shape. And it was different from DDO beholder's cone. First, no spell could be cast INTO shell/cone -- beholder could not direct its rays into its own AM cone. Second, it affected the caster too -- once AM shell was in effect, the caster could cast nothing. He could step out of the shell to cast spells, but obviously that made him vulnerable. Third, ALL magic items, even permanent ones, were temporarily suppressed. Your +5 Sword of Awesome and +5 Plate Mail of Awesome would become just plain sword and plate mail as long as they were within AM field.

I can see why Turbine decided not to copy this. More often than not, anti-magic shell is detrimental to one who casts it. DDO beholders can suppress your magic yet still hit you with their rays, which is actually more powerful than D&D beholders.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"