Community Member

Default Bowbarian suicide... vicious damage from ranged..

This concerns my Bowbarian character, i got him to 20 before the epic levels and before the underdark expansion. Ever since then for some reason He is recieving vicious damage from his ranged attacks while frenzied. The vicious damage does not hit the mob as intended... but the recoil damage does hit him. A round of manyshot nearly kills him!

Also the damage confirmations over enemes heads while manyshotting is extremly slower than a typical round of manyshot.

I would really like to get this guy to the new level cap and play with the barbarian ED but i find him to be pretty much unplayable.
    He CAN still melee pretty well and has enough hp to sustain himself, but i can't even utilize his main feature, manyshot without nearly dying.

Has anyone else encountered this?? i tried to submit it as a bug in game and through the forum but i don't think it has worked. I've recieved no feedback and everytime i log into the game i get some error telling me my report or whatever has not gone through or something...

Quote Originally Posted by knownissue View Post
    everytime i log into the game i get some error telling me my report or whatever has not gone through or something...
    This started happening to me a week or two ago as well. Login to game and get the message about a problem or error with your help support submission or something. I have a free account and a VIP account. It happens on both even though I have not submitted any tickets in the last couple months.

Community Member

well atleast i know i'm not alone in that regard.

Anyone else having the problem with vicious on bow damage? I know i am speaking to a very small niche crowd of players who may have made bowbarians, but there has to be more people experiencing this.

Can anyone help in getting this to be a known issue, and something that may be fixed? maybe it will be remedied with the enhancement update....

I did a search on this page for the key words vicious and many shot and neither one came up. So I can at least confirm it does not appear to be a known issue yet.

Community Member

Yeah i also searched through the known issues lists and found nothing. This happens when the character is Frenzied or Death Frenzied or both.

from the way the damage confirmations lag and appear slowly it's like he's not even using manyshot, i don't know if that is just the numbers scrtollsing slowly or if the actual damage is happening that slowly... It really kills the concept of my character...

for the time being he is just a semi gimp regular barbarian with useless bow feats.

the vicious damage happens also with any ranged weapon, like a returning weapon. its been happening for a long time but I haven't seen or heard anything on a fix.

Community Member

yup ever since the release of the underdark expansion.

And it's definatly not WAI.

i don't expect it to be fixed soon, i would just like to atleast see it added to the list of known issues...

I'm pretty sure that taking vicious damage from a bow when frenzied dates back to well before motu. I remember seeing it on my barbarian (not a bowbarian, just a barb that sometimes used a bow).

With the enhancement pass, There will be other options than frenzy for barbarians, which might be better suited for bow use, though i haven't really looked into it that much.

As far as the slow damage numbers appearing on the scrreen, i'm pretty sure it's just the display. Sometimes with my two weapon fighters, when they are max hasted i will just watch how long the numbers continue to roll by after the mob is dead. Sometimes it seems to go on for about 30 seconds. In fact i will move on to another mob and see no damage numbers at all, because it is still displaying the ones from the last mob i killed.

gah, i didn't even realize this got posted once, let alone twice.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 07-11-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: double post

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I'm pretty sure that taking vicious damage from a bow when frenzied dates back to well before motu. I remember seeing it on my barbarian (not a bowbarian, just a barb that sometimes used a bow).

With the enhancement pass, There will be other options than frenzy for barbarians, which might be better suited for bow use, though i haven't really looked into it that much.

As far as the slow damage numbers appearing on the scrreen, i'm pretty sure it's just the display. Sometimes with my two weapon fighters, when they are max hasted i will just watch how long the numbers continue to roll by after the mob is dead. Sometimes it seems to go on for about 30 seconds. In fact i will move on to another mob and see no damage numbers at all, because it is still displaying the ones from the last mob i killed.
    possibly, but not much longer. I can't say a specific time frame, but i pretty much quit playing him righ around the time of that release, and after coming back he's killing himself lol.

I also agree that the numbers scrolling is probably just some kind of display i know what you're talking about when you say the number's keep scrolling onone mob after it's dead. But this is different, instead of quick bursts of 4 shots the shots just seem to indiviidually pop up over the target's head and slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by knownissue View Post
    possibly, but not much longer. I can't say a specific time frame, but i pretty much quit playing him righ around the time of that release, and after coming back he's killing himself lol.

I also agree that the numbers scrolling is probably just some kind of display i know what you're talking about when you say the number's keep scrolling onone mob after it's dead. But this is different, instead of quick bursts of 4 shots the shots just seem to indiviidually pop up over the target's head and slowly.
    I had a test build for a life, was an 8 Barbarian, 6 Fighter, 6 Ranger tempest something something something. The Vicious damage was hitting shortly before MOTU, and was going on after as well.

Also the speed problem with the Frenzyshot is that all damage, healing, etc etc is hitting in order while it scrolls. Say you've got a barb that dual wields vicious weapons, and your buddy is a light monk and puts a healing curse on the target. It's going to show Your main hit, frenzy damage on you, death frenzy damage on you, vicious damage on you, healing curse bit of hp heal, and then your next hit. That's why it looks so ridiculously slow.

Community Member

Well the great thing is you will have two other paths to follow as a Barbarian post enhance pass, a Ranged Occult Slayer may make sense thematically, I'm not sure of it would work in practice though hehe.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

barbarian: "ow! silly bow stabs me in face!"
    ranger: "the trick is to make sure the sharp, pointy bit of the arrow points away from you when you pull the string ba..."
    barbarian: "ow! it happened again"
    ranger: "just try doing what i.."
    barbarian: "ow it happened again!"
    ranger: "oh for goodness sake..."
    barbarian: "me no like! me use big sword instead! RAAARRRHHHHhh ow ow ow me cut meself!"
    ranger: "they don't pay me enough for this"
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    ranger: "the trick is to make sure the sharp, pointy bit of the arrow points away from you when you pull the string ba..."
    barbarian: "me no like! me use big sword instead! RAAARRRHHHHhh ow ow ow me cut meself!"

that is too funny

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    This is how I feel every time I let a Barb into a pug. Especially a BYOH pug.
    It's more fitting because I always play a ranger. lol
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."