Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default DDO Bandwith usage

Hey all,

Does anyone have a guestimate of how much bandwidth DDO uses, say MB/hour or something along those lines?

The Hatchery

Depends on what you're doing. Soloing will use less bandwidth than 12-man raids, for instance.

At any rate, it's very low. I think the highest I've seen it go is 15k bps received, 1k bps sent.

Also no one uses MB/hour as a measurement.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

The bandwidth DDO uses during play is almost negligible by today's standards.

Be aware, though, that if you have to download the client, that'll take somewhere around 8GB for the download. (It's still 8GB right now, right?)

The launcher sometimes downloads a set of graphics files for launcher ads, I forget where they are but the can't be that big (relatively), and it doesn't happen very often.

So keep that in mind if you are using a service that has bandwidth limits or charges.
    Last edited by My2Cents; 07-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

it varies big time depending on how talkative a group is also.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    Depends on what you're doing. Soloing will use less bandwidth than 12-man raids, for instance.

At any rate, it's very low. I think the highest I've seen it go is 15k bps received, 1k bps sent.

Also no one uses MB/hour as a measurement.
    Some providers/packages have a limit on how much data one may download in a given time period. Hitting that limit may result in decreased service, added charges, or both. Therefore, it follows that someone is using some kind of UnitData/UnitTime as a measurement.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Some providers/packages have a limit on how much data one may download in a given time period. Hitting that limit may result in decreased service, added charges, or both. Therefore, it follows that someone is using some kind of UnitData/UnitTime as a measurement.
    I've heard of limits on a monthly billing scale, but seriously? limit transfer per hour?

Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I really just wanted to have an idea of the kind of bandwidth usage.

I'm moving to a country with very poor and expensive internet connection, so was trying to have an idea of what kind of connection speed I would need.

The MB/hour just came as a result of me trying to figure out how much data I would use over a month of playing if I played X hours a day.
    Last edited by Ceruleus; 07-10-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Community Member

I knew what you meant.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

I get it to. Most wireless carriers have a 5 gig cap (well Verizon and AT&T with Sprint being unlimited)...

From personal experience back when I actually played 5 or 6 hours a night raids can hit in anywhere from 10 to 30 megs... Back when Shroud had "shroud lag" it would often cost me 40 megs to run a longer shroud. I would guestimate something like 15 megs an hour NORMAL based on old observations. look for the app "Netlimiter" it will give you a breakdown of what processes use what, and clicking "view stats" you get an hour by hour day by day weekly and monthly breakdown. This app is how I tracked shroud bandwith usage. Note I often seem to spike much higher in raids. Last night in normal questing over 3 hours I see: 13.7, 14.3, 16.1 HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruleus View Post
    Hey all,

Does anyone have a guestimate of how much bandwidth DDO uses, say MB/hour or something along those lines?
    Send a PM to Glenalth. He is intimately familiar with how much bandwidth DDO uses, as he is one of those folks who has a download limit per day. He is on satellite internet I believe.

Community Member

I have played DDO using GoGo Inflight at 30,000 feet. That is quite possibly the worst connection in the world, yet it is surprisingly responsive. I don't group though -solo only. I don't want to get everyone killed while the server has to wait for my client to reply because some guy is downloading a movie back in the tail section :-)

Community Member

I have played DDO using GoGo Inflight at 30,000 feet. That is quite possibly the worst connection in the world, yet it is surprisingly responsive. I don't group though -solo only. I don't want to get everyone killed while the server has to wait for my client to reply because some guy is downloading a movie back in the tail section :-)

Community Member

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Send a PM to Glenalth. He is intimately familiar with how much bandwidth DDO uses, as he is one of those folks who has a download limit per day. He is on satellite internet I believe.
    Hehehe Poor, poor Preston.
    He's the only person in game that I know of who has a worse connection than I do 90% of the time.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    He's the only person in game that I know of who has a worse connection than I do 90% of the time.
    oh, on my bad nights I have about 800ms and 10 to 15% loss...
    Ainur Wer'lak Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Try playing down here in a rural wiltshire village......that makes two of us with worse connections

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceruleus View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I really just wanted to have an idea of the kind of bandwidth usage.

I'm moving to a country with very poor and expensive internet connection, so was trying to have an idea of what kind of connection speed I would need.

The MB/hour just came as a result of me trying to figure out how much data I would use over a month of playing if I played X hours a day.

You can play from a 56K modem connection, anything slower than that will generate lag.

The bandwidth is ( almost ) irrelevant when it comes to your problem, it's the eventual limitation in megabyte/month that might cause problems.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Often playing on EDGE. There are lags in a rare cases, especially when signal is low or in raids and full town instances. I call them "hops", because my toon is not walking but "hopping" from one place to another.

There are no hops while playing on 3G/HSPDA

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Often playing on EDGE. There are lags in a rare cases, especially when signal is low or in raids and full town instances. I call them "hops", because my toon is not walking but "hopping" from one place to another.

There are no hops while playing on 3G/HSPDA
    Considering that EDGE ( Enhanced Data rate for GPRS Evolution ) is also called 2.5G, and it to mobile phone what V.92 ( 56K ) modems were to fixed phone...

HSPA ( HSDPA/HSUPA [ or High Speed Download Packet Access/ High Speed Upload Packet Access : High Speed Packet Access ] ) is to mobile what ADSL2 ( Enhanced ADSL ) is to fixed lines )

Basic 3G ( UMTS/WCDMA/ and a few other country specific ) is to mobile what ADSL is to fixed line...

And 4G should be ( as long as you're alone in the cell ) to mobile phone what fiber is to fixed line...

I work for Ericsson... It helps when people starts talking of telecom.

In all fairness I never looked at the amount of data exchanged between the servers and a given client, but when we were on the European server we had quite a few people that connected through 3G/Edge and played using that with a 1Gb/month subscription. True, they had to get the game from a friend with a fixed line everytime there was an update. ( as the download just ate all the monthly allowance ), but they could play without any problem.

DDO being an old game helps in that domain as it was conceived in times when bandwidth and data transmission size were important things that had to be kept in mind. ( which also explain the regular : Lag is client side we gets from Turbine, network communication is optimized, even if I can prove that lags is not always client side, but that's another story )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    DDO being an old game helps in that domain as it was conceived in times when bandwidth and data transmission size were important things that had to be kept in mind. ( which also explain the regular : Lag is client side we gets from Turbine, network communication is optimized, even if I can prove that lags is not always client side, but that's another story )

I heard that lags can be caused by monsters while they are trying to find the path through the dungeon to you. Devs are trying to optimize this part of the code. it should be released with U19.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art20/Epic8/Epic8 -> Rng10), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic8/Epic8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast